Wildie Day Out - London Dec 13th

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Wildie Day Out - London Dec 13th

Postby earthmaiden » September 7th, 2019, 9:00 am

It seems that more than one person is interested in a day out to include visiting the Mary Quant exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London and possibly lunch somewhere (probably not too extravagant).

The exhibition runs until 16th Feb 2020, standard entry is £12. I am a little bit wary of organising things in mid winter in case bad weather makes travelling difficult. Maybe October, November or early December?

So far, Wednesdays or weekends are looking best, definitely not Tuesdays or Thursdays.

Is anyone interested, even provisionally? If so, when would suit and do you have lunch ideas in the South Kensington area or a short bus ride away? The V&A cafe is alright for a coffee but gets very crowded at lunchtime, there are a good few places not far away.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/mary-quant
Last edited by earthmaiden on September 18th, 2019, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Wildie Day Out - London

Postby StokeySue » September 7th, 2019, 10:10 am

Definitely interested, not a available 5th through 13th November

There’s now a cluster of eating places at the top of Exhibition Road, the one that sprang to my mind was Casa Brindisa (tapas) but there are quite a few in the area
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 7th, 2019, 11:05 am

Please count me in.

Oct/Nov/Dec all free for me with plenty of annual leave left if going midweek. December would be better but not essential as Oct/Nov spends were earmarked for carpet. I would be coming into Victoria by train. Tapas looks good Sue. Although sitting outside we might need something from Mary Quant's wet collection.:grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2019, 11:37 am

I'm possibly up for this ... don't count on me 'cos I won't know until nearer the time but I'll keep an eye on this thread ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 7th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I’m interested so please pencil me in. Once you have a date I’ll see about arranging care for Chris.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 7th, 2019, 5:20 pm

and me :tu: :tu: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 8th, 2019, 7:03 am

I might be up for this, depends on date. So a tentative yes from me.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 8:21 am

Looking good!

Definites:
Stokeysue
Earthmaiden
Patsyfagan
Pepper Pig
Teresafoodie

Possibles:
Busybee
Suffolk

I think I am right in saying that all but Tezza are retired and so Wednesday might be possible rather than a weekend which might be crowded. Suffs may prefer a weekend though.

Due to Tezza's finances maybe late November, early December or even early January when Christmas is done. What time of day could people get to South Kensington for? We could perhaps do coffee in the V&A for those early enough, the exhibition then a lateish lunch. Once we eventually have numbers and a date I would suggest (as Sue mentioned on another thread) we each book for a certain time slot to ensure we get a place without queuing or disappointment.

Your thoughts on date, time, eating (do you think pot luck eating will work if we end up being a biggish group? I agree with Sue that there are quite a few places in the area - it's old hat now but I went to Comptoir Libanais with Mary when we were up for a meet a good few years ago now -Lebanese, we loved it then but when I went to the one at Westfield, Stratford a few years later it wasn't so nice).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 9th, 2019, 12:27 pm

If we go midweek I will just need to check holiday availability on my 'pod' at work. As far as I know my fellow pod dwellers have used up their annual leave so should be no problem there.

I would love to get my carpets done and dusted and paid for before the meet, as detailed by EM above, but if something else pops up (like my TV explodes, or my washing machine packs up, that sort of thing) then please do not let me hold you all back on preferred dates! But I would feel less squeaky bum if we planned for end Nov/Dec or Jan. :D

Just having a quick glance at train times. My journey would be bus from home into Luton, main line train Luton to Victoria, then the necessary tubes to the venue. Should be around two hours for me, call it three to be safe. I can start out at around 8am (first bus from my street). Be there latest 11am. Does that fit in with everyone else?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm

It will take me a just under an hour by train … so will allow enough time for whenever we arrange to meet up … :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 10th, 2019, 6:36 pm

I’m only a definite if I can get cover for the OH. That depends on the kids, the cleaner, my mum and a couple of friends. Thursdays would be my day of choice but I can see that’s not a runner. May be time to get one of the charities with volunteers to get involved.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 11th, 2019, 6:46 am

If I can make it weekdays should be fine ... just depends on ‘other stuff’ ... go ahead and arrange it and I’ll fit in if I can :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2019, 7:35 am

Food
I would suggest we review the situation nearer the time, and book if there is a large group. The tube station end of Exhibition Road is now a pedestrianised cluster of cafė restaurants, so a small group could reasonably take their chances and a larger group should be able to find somewhere to book, and I’d suggest staying with them unless someone knows somewhere in particular, I haven’t eaten in any of these apart from Dacquise which I don’t think is suitable, though I’ve eaten in other branches of some
Choices
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=restaurant+exhibition+road+south+kensington&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#istate=lrl:xpd"
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 7:46 am

I agree Sue.
So would people prefer before or after Christmas? PP - would it be easier to have family members help you out at weekends?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 11th, 2019, 9:38 am

Thanks EM but not really weekends. The daughters both have tiny children, one of the sons has a season ticket to Arsenal and the other is never around. Choose a date to suit everybody else and I’ll see what I can do.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 9:51 am

I wonder if the forecast of arctic conditions over the next 4 months are true? Probably best not to book anything at all until very near our decided date.

So, maybe a Monday, Wednesday or Friday? Before or after Christmas? Would we meet at the V&A maybe 11am or earlier, have coffee, do the exhibition and then a late lunch or do it in some other order?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 11th, 2019, 12:11 pm

I am relaxed with regards to before or after Christmas.

I am also relaxed about food! As long as there is at least one veggie option available I will be happy.

Coffee before the exhibition seems a good idea for those of us (probably just me!) who need reacquainting with other Wildies. It's been a while for me! I will have all day free to fit in with the order of play. Buses home from Luton run late, it would just be the last little bit I would have to get a taxi to my door. No worries there.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 11th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I would have been interested, but can't really do mid week. Very little annual leave left (this year.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on September 16th, 2019, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 15th, 2019, 5:30 pm

I have just been thinking that carpet laying for me may now need to stretch into January. Another little job needs doing, plus I don't want to be 'short' in general over Christmas.

So I'll completely fall in with plans whatever is decided. :grin: :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 10:13 am

If you did Friday 13th December it would give me an excuse not to go to the office party... ;) But I can't really take a whole day off, alas.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 16th, 2019, 12:07 pm

I like your way of thinking there, Herb! ;)
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 12:40 pm

At what time could you get to South Ken Herbi? The way the current plan is I would say we would go for about 12 to go into the exhibition and late lunch afterwards. I don't know how much time we should allow for the exhibition, a friend went, I'll ask her. We could alternatively do lunch first. I just thought the exhibition would fit quite well between coffee and lunch.

What do others think - and would Dec 13th be convenient if Herbi really can make it? When would your ideal time/date or month be? I originally thought Oct, Nov or very early Dec and Tuesdays and Thursdays were ruled out although Thurs would be good for PP. Let's decide provisionally before long!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 1:30 pm

I think just plan ahead and if what you decide works for me, well and good but please don't plan around me. A 12 start though would obviously mean taking a chunks of morning off as well as afternoon, even if I were eliterally round the corner. It's nuts really. A couple of hours off from work sounds like nothing, but it's not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 16th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I will have a look on the holiday chart at work tomorrow, but think I am pretty safe on all dates. Also, happy with a 12 noon meet. Once there am happy to chill and enjoy!

Just another thought on the time of year. Are we all single females using public transport alone? Are we all happy that a lot of that travel time may be spent in the dark?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Obviously you must be comfortable with your travel arrangements. It is getting from the public transport to your home which is usually the thing to plan carefully but hopefully it can be done so you don't have to become a recluse for the whole winter. I doubt you would be home terribly late.

The exhibition finishes in February and I intend going to see it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 16th, 2019, 10:59 pm

You're right about planning. My well travelled friend helped me last year to plan my visit to her home in Royston, knowing that I would be getting back to Luton early evening. All went very smoothly, albeit the last bus to my home was cancelled without warning! But I have a very reliable taxi service that I use daily and, like they did last year, can get me home to my door after our day in London. Worth every penny. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 17th, 2019, 7:35 am

You should be fine in central London, even quite late at night. A taxi at your end might be worth peace of mind if it worries you. I have to walk down quiet, ill-lit streets to get home from work in the winter. I do feel slightly uncomfortable doing this on the rare occasions I actually go out after work and come back after ten, but it's too expensive (£50 plus) to get a cab from central London and no cab company near the station this end.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 9:18 am

I can manage Dec 13th … would have to miss a Zumba class, but not the end of the world. In fact even if it was Monday or Wednesday, I would still have to miss whatever class I go to on that day as they are all in the morning.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 9:34 am

13th Dec would be ok for me too. Herbi wouldn't need to decide until the day whether or not it was feasible.
How does that suit everyone else? If it doesn't could you suggest a couple of other dates?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 9:53 am

That looks like a good date for me too :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 9:56 am

Aside from the fact it’s Friday 13th :o I will start putting out feelers for care now. Thanks for organising.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 10:45 am

It's in my diary ….
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 11:36 am

Hooray! What could possibly go wrong on Friday 13th :lol: :lol: :lol:.

The only other thing we will need to do some time in advance is to book tickets for the same exhibition session. Do you think the idea of meeting from 11 for coffee and going into the exhibition at 12 then lunch afterwards would work well or would you prefer a different arrangement? I assume we'll each book our own ticket but it would be good if they were all for the same session!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 12:09 pm

Sounds good to me.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 17th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Nothing up on the holiday board for 13th so I have put my request in.

I am happy to book for the 12pm session once my holiday is approved and we have all settled on that date. If we change our minds on date then I can retract and rebook if need be, but I have a stack of annual leave to use up so it wouldn't be wasted. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Elder daughter is going to step in to look after her dad.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 1:30 pm

It sounds like a plan is coming together :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm

I’ll start ironing my Breton T shirt.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:I’ll start ironing my Breton T shirt.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 6:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 18th, 2019, 7:19 am

earthmaiden wrote:Hooray! What could possibly go wrong on Friday 13th :lol: :lol: :lol:.

The only other thing we will need to do some time in advance is to book tickets for the same exhibition session. Do you think the idea of meeting from 11 for coffee and going into the exhibition at 12 then lunch afterwards would work well or would you prefer a different arrangement? I assume we'll each book our own ticket but it would be good if they were all for the same session!

That all sounds good to me ... I would need details from someone as to how/where to book a ticket...unless someone is willing to be booking monitor ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 18th, 2019, 7:39 am

Shall we wait a while before booking (or not?). You would do it via the V&A website. Anyone with a real problem doing it can message me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Wildie Day Out - London Dec 13th

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 18th, 2019, 8:02 am

:tu: :hi5:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 10:38 am

I think I'd better say I wont be joining you :( ... I've just booked another holiday and bought concert tickets, I have two important family member birthdays in December as well as Christmas, and we've not had this holiday yet ... if I carry on at this rate I'll be penniless :oops: :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2019, 10:47 am

Sorry to hear that Suffs although I’m sure a holiday and concert tickets will compensate. :lol:

I’ve just looked at the V&A booking site, it’s very straightforward and there are quite a few concessions. For instance I have an Art Fund card so I get in for £6. :geek: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2019, 10:55 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Sorry to hear that Suffs although I’m sure a holiday and concert tickets will compensate. :lol: ... :

.... and I'm thinking seriously about changing the car :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 18th, 2019, 1:26 pm

I will let you know nearer the date. Train tickets are not out yet, I have put an alert on the journey so I will make a decision when the tickets are released and I see how much they are.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 18th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Herbidacious wrote:You should be fine in central London, even quite late at night. A taxi at your end might be worth peace of mind if it worries you. I have to walk down quiet, ill-lit streets to get home from work in the winter. I do feel slightly uncomfortable doing this on the rare occasions I actually go out after work and come back after ten, but it's too expensive (£50 plus) to get a cab from central London and no cab company near the station this end.

I've recently started using Uber and found them very good.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 24th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I’m afraid I won’t be making this trip, the train tickets have just been released and it’s nearly £200 for a return! I can’t justify the expense just before Christmas.

Have fun everyone

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 24th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Goodness, and that's the cheap tickets? :o. I have already bought my National Express ticket as I was sent a special offer. It came to £7.40 return (cheapest day return train would be £42.50). Not feasible from Yorkshire for the day of course but the differences are crazy.
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop