Do You Eat Your Salad Garnish?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Do You Eat Your Salad Garnish?

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I've just seen a piece on the lunchtime news about reducing food waste in restaurants. A restaurant analysed all the waste from people's plates and found chips and salad garnish to be the things most commonly left. As a result, they have reduced chip portions and on some dishes removed the garnish.

I have noticed that DD always leaves garnish. She seems to think it can have a dubious history despite liking salads. I usually eat mine even if I leave other things (but not silly quantities of lettuce or raw kale as used in the USA).

I think a move to reduce waste is good of course!
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Do You Eat Your Salad Garnish?

Postby Ratatouille » September 9th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Not when there is a huge pile. If I want a salad I'll order one.

I don't waste it though. I always have a couple of plastic bags in my handbag and the hens get it!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2019, 1:07 pm

It depends
I usually do eat it, because I like salad. But I’m kind of with earthmaiden’s daughter - my observations suggest that the salad garnish is often already an attempt at zero waste, using bits of salad that really should have been binned. And some places put salad garnish on everything, including items with which it really doesn’t go or things served on hot plates

Some time ago I was even served a vegetarian breakfast that came with a limp salad garnish that was fit only for composting but no bread or toast. Not a good combo with a fried egg.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » September 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

It’s a bit of a bugbear of mine how boring salad garnishes are . Awful lettuce, rock hard tomatoes and a sliver or two of cucumber . I’d rather go without to be honest . A nice little side salad, then yes definitely
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 9th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Funny this subject should pop up. I was having a meal with friends last week and one commented that she would have expected the scotch egg starters to have more salad garnish than just two rocket leaves - my reply was that the restaurant had probably realised no-one ate the salad.

I often order something described as salad for a starter - and obviously would eat it in that case. I'm very dubious of main course salads as it's often a bowl of leaves and little else. If a salad garnish looks fresh, then I'll eat it!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » September 9th, 2019, 1:44 pm

A friend of mine always discards the salad garnish as she reckons she got food poisoning from a less than fresh one a few years ago.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 9th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Here's the BBC web site article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49607938

And here's the Guardians of Grub zero waste campaign behind it

http://www.guardiansofgrub.com/
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » September 9th, 2019, 3:37 pm

I clearly remember Mum telling me (in the 70s) that it was poor manners to clear your plate when eating out, it smacked of greed, therefore I should leave the salad garnish.
Obviously the opposite applied at home :rolleyes:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 9th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Funny the two trains of thought about that. I only heard about 'leaving something for Mr Manners' quite late in life. It was frowned upon to leave anything when I was growing up - probably because it was so soon after rationing. That said, we didn't really eat out much and took what we wanted from serving dishes at other people's houses (and once taken it was a rule it should not be left!). I usually eat the garnish because I feel virtuous eating vegetables :lol:. I must say that these days one is often made to feel greedy if one eats everything even when the meal isn't massive.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm

I usually eat the salad garnish regardless of what it is served with and whether it is appropriate or not. What's more, I usually eat Mr S's garnish too. But then I'm a gut-bucket. :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 9th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I don't want to, but I usually make myself. I have been known not to order somethign because it says it comes with a salad garnish.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2019, 5:58 pm

i always eat it (unless it looks unappetising in some way) and always at a buffet as it's very often the only vegetarian option.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 9th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Seatallan wrote:I usually eat the salad garnish regardless of what it is served with and whether it is appropriate or not. What's more, I usually eat Mr S's garnish too. But then I'm a gut-bucket. :lol:

:lol: This made me chuckle as I was about to say the same thing about when me and my mum eat out. It is usually at a cafe in a garden centre or something, and as fancy salad leaves do funny things to her innards she always offers her garnish to me. :hungry: I never refuse of course.

On the flip side, about 12 years ago I worked weekends at a local vegetarian/vegan cafe and we spent a big part of the morning prepping the salad garnish items only to see most garnishes being left behind and binned. Such a shame, waste of time and money. It does make more sense to put a really decent salad dish on the menu instead for the bunny rabbits amongst us to enjoy. :grin:

Which reminds me. Me and my mum took littlest nephew to McDonald's yesterday. He likes the chicken wrap with loads of cucumber. I noticed on the menu board behind the tills a photo of a giant bowl of salad snuggled in amongst the burgers etc, but there is nothing like it on the menu. Elements of it, yes, and tiny bits at that. I think you can order salads but aren't they full of chicken?
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » September 10th, 2019, 7:39 am

I usually ask for anything to come without a garnish as it often looks a bit ‘second hand’ or stale, and never comes with dressing. I don’t like crisps on the side either. If I do, inadvertently get it, then OH usually eats it.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 10th, 2019, 7:58 am

You can order a side salad at Macdonalds - it is lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion. There is also a veggie wrap which contains salad and a veggie burger thingie. Not very inspiring.

To order something like a sandwich and then get a nice salad garnish and a few crisps as well makes my day!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 10th, 2019, 10:19 am

Ooh EM, I know what you mean.

I used to eat here often of a lunch break for jacket potato with baked beans.

https://www.chefandbrewer.com/pubs/hert ... _campaign=

The salad garnish back then would cover about 1/3 of the plate and was described as a garnish and not a side salad. Yum!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 10th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Any garnish should be (a) edible (b) minimal, as far as I´m concerned. These days, what with TV Food channels and impeccable, fastidious chefs decorating everything in sight, garnish needs to be ever more delicate and creative, so a chunk of YMCA cucumber and a limp lettuce leaf do not fit the bill!
But I usually eat the garnish, especially at Sushi restaurants!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2019, 2:02 pm

I agree with you generally about minimal karadekoolaid but we used to eat the Chef and Brewer jacket spuds Tezza mentions, and I agree that it was nice to have that handful of salad that was a bit more than a garnish and not quite a full side salad. Came with a few other things too iirc, and was usually fresh and appealing

I actually disagree with you slightly about current chefs decorating everything, I think the trend is to arrange everything on the plate to make one design that includes all the elements of the dish and garnishes such micro herbs that contribute to the flavour. Very Instagram! The heyday of excessive garnish was surely the 70s when if you ate at Carrier’s or Sharrow Bay you had to fight your way through a jungle of cresses, carved radishes, strange bits of carrot and cucumber to find you food
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 10th, 2019, 5:01 pm

StokeySue wrote:I actually disagree with you slightly about current chefs decorating everything, I think the trend is to arrange everything on the plate to make one design that includes all the elements of the dish and garnishes such micro herbs that contribute to the flavour. Very Instagram! The heyday of excessive garnish was surely the 70s when if you ate at Carrier’s or Sharrow Bay you had to fight your way through a jungle of cresses, carved radishes, strange bits of carrot and cucumber to find you food

It's interesting how garnishes/salad items go in and out of fashion (like other foodie items of course). Pea shoots for example seem to be terribly trendy and ubiquitous at present.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » September 10th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I very rarely eat the garnish as it is almost invariably a bit of limp leaves with a couple of other things added. However, there is a great Indian restaurant that I go to where it's fresh and enjoyable.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2019, 5:17 pm

I ate once each at Sharrow Bay and Carrier’s - the garnishes, especially at Sharrow Bay were baroque and fussy in a way you don’t see now, thankfully. The actual food was of course superb, both Francis Coulson + Brian Sack and Carrier, aided and abetted by Shaun Hill, couldn’t ‘alf cook and bought in good produce (I used to see Shaun in the fishmongers)

I am ambivalent about pea shoots, I once stir fried them following a recipe and made green dental floss, but they can be nice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm

It depends what the garnish is. If there is lettuce or spinach, I will happily eat both - I HAVE paid for them (and I am a Grasshopper ;) :lol: )
But fresh toms, cucumber, coleslaw, etc I won't touch cos I don't like 'em.
And don't get me started on rocket :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop