Private Pensions .. claiming not investing

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Private Pensions .. claiming not investing

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 11th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Some of you will know that my ex-husband died a few weeks ago after a diagnosis of terminal cancer. His funeral was on Monday. When I last saw him (7 years ago) he told me I was still listed as the beneficiary of his Navy Pension … I thought nothing of this at the time, however, if am still eligible, my intention is to re-pay it to my daughter as I received no financial support for her while he was alive …. and she could do with some extra income.

How would I find out if this is due to me ? I am reluctant to enquire of the ex-partner who nursed him at the end .. I am sure she would mis-construe my interest. Would it be the DWP or another department ? Perhaps as an ex - wife I no longer benefit in any event ?

thanks
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Private Pensions .. claiming not investing

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2019, 6:22 pm

Navy is not a private pension, strictly speaking, but an occupational pension and should be quite straightforward (in theory)

If he was RN then the armed forces pension scheme applies https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans

If he was Merchant then I’d be inclined to contact the Seamen’s Union https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/requests-for-help/27382-merchant-navy-pension-fund.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 11th, 2019, 6:40 pm

thanks Sue … it is Royal Navy … and had no idea where to look :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 11th, 2019, 6:52 pm

I'd think you'd have to jump through hoops to get the info unless it is done through his executors. Do you know who that might be or if he left a will?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 11th, 2019, 7:16 pm

He didn't have a will … didn't have anything to leave as he spent what savings he had on his funeral … no property or anything of value .
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 11th, 2019, 7:51 pm

As it’s an occupational pension you shouldn’t need probate or the input of an executor as far as I know

Death certificate, NI number and if possible service number. Marriage lines and possibly W’s birth certificate.
But if you get a copy of the death certificate I would expect NI and service numbers to be retrievable

If stuck various veterans associations, even British Legion, might be able to help. Seatallen might know more?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 11th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Thanks Sue … I was wondering about Seatallen. I tried the link you sent … found a section on Divorce, clicked on it and produced nothing … :? I will have another look tomorrow.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2019, 8:20 am

Having been executor recently for dear friend who died I agree- the occupational pension isn't part of the estate as such so no executor involvement required. It's a little outside my old field as it is an occupational rather than state pension but like Sue, I'd guess all they would need is a verified copy of the death certificate/marriage certificate etc.

I'd be inclined to contact SSAFA in the first instance and get some advice from them.

https://www.ssafa.org.uk/

Also/alternatively, Money Saving Expert has a forum that might be helpful- I've used it a few times and some of the regulars are very knowledgeable

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/fo ... .php?f=217

Good luck Patsy :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2019, 9:46 am

thanks for the suggestions :tu: …. now how do I word a request from the late partner for a copy of the death certificate without seeming to be money-grabbing :?: ;) :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 12th, 2019, 9:49 am

Can you not get one from the registrars office? There will be a fee because it’s a certified copy but I’m guessing you would need it to be certified anyway.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 12th, 2019, 10:08 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:thanks for the suggestions :tu: …. now how do I word a request from the late partner for a copy of the death certificate without seeming to be money-grabbing :?: ;) :rolleyes:

Is there any reason that your daughter might need one? That would be easier than mentioning money, especially as she might think she has a claim to the pension too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » September 12th, 2019, 10:13 am

I agree, I should have thought that a copy should have been procured for your daughter anyway. A request would sound better coming from her (unless you don't want her to know what you're doing of course.).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 12th, 2019, 11:05 am

I agree that SSAFA would be your first option. OH was in the RAF for nearly thirty years and I know there were colleagues who had ‘colourful’ pasts and when they died the MOD took a very long time to try and get out of paying the widow’s pension. I believe there was a landmark case some time ago though which made the claimant’s rights much clearer.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2019, 11:07 am

I wasn't going to mention it to her until I actually succeeded in my mission . Giving it to her would be a private arrangement in any case as in my limited knowledge, only a spouse can benefit from a pension, workplace, private or otherwise, not children, however, I could be wrong. It certainly makes sense that I will need a death certificate…

I think I will start with SSAFA ...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 12th, 2019, 11:47 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I wasn't going to mention it to her until I actually succeeded in my mission . Giving it to her would be a private arrangement in any case as in my limited knowledge, only a spouse can benefit from a pension, workplace, private or otherwise, not children, however, I could be wrong. It certainly makes sense that I will need a death certificate…

I think I will start with SSAFA ...

I don't know how much money is involved, but there are limits to how much money you can give to children without one of you being liable for tax, particularly if you don't live for 7 years after making the gift. There is a yearly tax-free amount, around £3000 IIRC, which might be a better option.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » September 12th, 2019, 12:35 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I wasn't going to mention it to her until I actually succeeded in my mission

Good call I think. Just wondering- is there any likelihood of him having married his current partner? Possibly when he knew he was terminally ill? It does happen...
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2019, 12:37 pm

I am expecting to pay tax on it if I receive it as I already pay tax on my own private pension, being above the threshold. What I then pay to daughter would be 'unofficial' … even if it is up to the £3000 annual tax free amount...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 12th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Seatallan wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I wasn't going to mention it to her until I actually succeeded in my mission

Good call I think. Just wondering- is there any likelihood of him having married his current partner? Possibly when he knew he was terminally ill? It does happen...

I doubt it ...it has never been mentioned and he was too ill for that, being given only 3-6 months at first diagnosis. If he did, then I will find out in due course won't I ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 12th, 2019, 12:47 pm

That’s when it gets tricky Pat. If there was a long term commitment she may have a claim.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 12th, 2019, 1:49 pm

You don’t need a reason to get a copy of a death certificate, just pay a small fee and it is issued automatically

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 10:48 am

Just in case anyone is wondering how I have got on with this … after calling SAAFA and speaking to a very helpful lady, I was given a couple more phone numbers, the first one being Veterans UK … and ……. I don't qualify for a widows pension as we divorced ! :aww: :x So, I didn't get any financial support while he was alive, and none now that he isn't ! ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 11:37 am

So sorry Pat :( . It was worth a try.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Bums Pat.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 17th, 2019, 1:09 pm

:rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 1:29 pm

That’s a shame, but at least you followed up
However as he didn’t remarry or make a will, W is entitled to anything he left, though I understand you believe that to be nothing and probably not worth the effort.
Think Heir Hunters

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/make-a-claim-to-a-deceased-persons-estate
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 17th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Sorry it didn't work out but as Sue says, there may still be a little for your daughter. Hope so anyway. Is she to be given any personal item/s of his for remembrance purposes?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 17th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Bums Patsy. You tried.

Seatallan wrote:Is she to be given any personal item/s of his for remembrance purposes?

That would be unusual IME.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 4:14 pm

My OH had an Heir Hunters Thing. And it was just after the TV programme started although we hadn’t seen it. Was a very minor firm and I think the total he received was about 2K. All the time we were being talked into the claim we thought it was a scam but it turned out to be a relative of his father who he had actually met!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 6:32 pm

I was told soon after his diagnosis that his savings had been spent on his funeral service. He did collect (antique ?) shaving mugs and Wendy was told (by him) that she will inherit them. They are at the moment hanging up in the bathroom of his ex-partner .. she's not expecting anything else.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 17th, 2019, 6:45 pm

How amazing PP!! :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 17th, 2019, 7:20 pm

It was EM but on reflection I don’t think the company concerned had been very thorough. He thought his sister had been included but it became apparent she hadn’t - she was in a home because of Alzheimer’s but that shouldn’t have made a difference. I guess with a low estate they don’try too hard. But their percentages are bloody enormous. I think this one charged 25% so goodness knows what Fraser and Fraser and the others rake in. It’s certainly more than the heirs each get!

Does the money in the military pensions go back to the state, the military or what then?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Occupational pensions usually go back into the common fund - I think the planning is done on the basis not everyone will be able to take out their full allocation

You don’t need to wait for the Heir Hunters to find you, if you know a relative has died and you are possibly a main beneficiary you can just claim, the hunters only come in to play where this hasn’t happened
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 18th, 2019, 8:08 am

Glad she'll hopefully have something of his anyway Patsy.

Re the heir-hunters thing, my MIL received a small inheritance (just a couple of hundred) that way. Deceased in question was a second cousin who had never married. She had met him but not for many years. And oddly enough, I was contacted by one of those firms shortly before we moved. They were trying to track down heirs to an estate of someone who had lived in the area and shared my maiden name. Unfortunately there was no connection as I was from another part of the country originally.
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop