garden waste (and other things) collection

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

garden waste (and other things) collection

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2019, 7:48 am

Well I am not sure what to think of this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49085346

We pay for ours, and to date, my main complaint has been that they only come once a fortnight in the summer, which is not enough. (Once a month Dec-Feb.) It is only £60 though.

Without a shredder it's not practical to compost prunings from our many shrubs. (Pretty much all we have in the 100 ft garden :( ) I have considered buyinga shredder, but have heard bad things about domestic ones.

Meanwhile our once a fortnight for paper and tin/plastic/glass collecting council has introduced weekly collections of batteries and clothes?!?!

I have wondered generally about the 'greenness' of gardening in particular relating to garden centres, and the phenomenal number of cheap plastic pots they use. Cheap and flimsy thus don't survive many resuses, and which you don't need. We don't all have thje time, the skill or the room to grow things from seed, alas.
Herbidacious
Registered

Re: garden waste (and other things) collection

Postby Ratatouille » September 25th, 2019, 9:11 am

We don't shave any collections from the house. Everything has to be taken to the communal bins which take general waste and recyclables like card, can and plastic bottles but not glass. The rest, including garden waste has to be taken to the decheterie and you have to have a residents pass to get in and only for a certain number of visits a year. This is to stop commercial usage for which there is a charge per visit.

The communal bins are emptied 3 times a week and we pay about €120.00 a year.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2019, 9:53 am

In France we now have a household waste collection from the lane that leads to the hameau. No dustbins, though. It's a great inconvenience to us part timers, as no longer able to take to the déchetterie 2km away with the recyclables (or put in one of the dumpsters left for this purpose in various other, closer, places.) We have to drive to the next department (10.5km away), but I suspect that option will disappear in due course.
If we had to take everything to a déchetterie in London it would take up at least an hour's worth of time.

Perhaps we should have to pay for everything to be taken away...

Was watching Lucy Worsely in her If Walls Could Talk series last night, talking about how in middle class Victorian households, most of what we call rubbish would either be reused, returned (jars and bottles) or sold - to the rag and bone man, to the dustman, pig farmers etc.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 25th, 2019, 10:00 am

I didn't appreciate how lucky we are, with a free fortnightly collection throughout the year. We use it for perennial weed roots & rhizomes, pine needles and so forth. Our other green waste is composted, woody stuff is shredded first. We've got a Bosch shredder, it has worked well for years, I can send you details if you want.

In the autumn I collect many barrowloads of leaves from the pavement and make leafmould. Passers-by compliment me upon my public-spirited work (it is of course not in the slightest bit altruistic) although there's always at least one who tells me I'm doing it wrong :lol:

I think the best thing you can do with garden plastic is to reuse it as much as possible. We do get plug trays and pots, there are some nurseries who will take them back, some wont. I grow a far bit for charity plant sales, some go there and I use a lot to raise plants for the plot of course, but ultimately they'll be plastic waste. I suppose the best option until there are proper recycling routes is a long life followed by incineration. Perhaps that applies to all of us...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2019, 10:22 am

Yes please, BM, re the shredder. It is possibly something I would actually enjoy doing too :)

re garden centres, I suppose it is down to the suppliers, partly. There are probably considerations of disease, and plants have to be in plastic when on display for sale to prevent dehydration, I imagine. I'd be happy to take my own pots along and transfer plants into them - most garden centre plants are root bound anyway, so you can just lift them out.

I had a big pot clear out this autumn, and I couldn't possibly use all or even very many of the little pots that come from garden centres. They are only of use if you are growing from seed and/or potting on seedlings or taking cuttings. I bet a lot of the plants that came in the pots don't exist anymore either :o Reminds me I several plants that need planting out that I bought weeks ago... but this is never a simple proposition in my garden (So I shouldn't really buy any without planning and preparation...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 25th, 2019, 10:43 am

I've got a Bosch shredder too, which has give no trouble over several years, as long as you're not too enthusiastic and put in more than it can cope with at once, then it can get jammed. No point in sending details as I'm sure the models have changed by now, but it's another vote for Bosch reliability!

We still have free garden waste collections every other week, and although I do compost too, I'd rather dispose of woody waste from prunings into the green collection than wait for it to compost down. Too much grass seems to dry out and slow down the composting process, so not all of it goes into my own compost bin.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » September 25th, 2019, 12:21 pm

We had to pay (£60 per year) for garden waste collection at previous address but here it is free (fortnightly). I agree- most of my pruning and grass cutting goes in the garden waste rather than compost bin. And yes- I try to reuse as much garden plastic as I can.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 25th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Our main dechetterie is nearly 10 km away but it is on the way into town and most locals pass it at least once a week and it takes absolutely everything from unused paint through cooking oil to old electrical goods and furniture.The commune has a once a month collection, free of anything which you are unable to take yourself,
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 25th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Here within the London Borough of Hillingdon, we are supplied with large white square bags for garden/food waste. This collected each week on the same days as landfill waste (in our own black plastic bags) and recycleable (sp?) waste that is put in clear plastic bags that are supplied. These bags list on them what can and cannot be put in them. So, in contrast to most of you, I consider myself lucky that a) all my waste is collected on a weekly basis and b) there is no charge outside of our council tax.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2019, 12:58 pm

That's probably quite unusual these days, Pat. We do get food waste collected weekly. And now clothes and batteries. I hope they are not using separate contracters for the latter. I often have 2-3 boxes of paper to put out on the fortnightly collection day (in spite of only having one paper a week.) But I certainly won't be needing to have a weekly throw out of batteries or clothes.

The reason given for switching to fortnightly paper collections went along the lines of 'Now people are siwtiching to online bills, they won't need as much paper collecting." Very disingenuous They obviously couldn't tcome up with a good enough non-honest, plausible pretext for switching to fortnightly glass, paper and plastic collections.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » September 25th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Our shredder is a Bosch AXT 2200 HP. It has got a powerful motor which slowly drives a drum cutter that reminds me of the back of a Mississippi paddle steamer or a waterwheel. It sounds similar to a lawnmower in operation. We used to have a much faster rotating, noisier shredder that is a bit like a giant liquidiser. The former type are called quiet shredders, the latter, rapid. We much prefer the quiet ones, which handle much more material per hour and are (unsurprisingly) less noisy.

I don't think they still make our model, but certainly do newer versions. We got ours shortly after we moved here and had more stuff to shred. I guess it's 17 to 19 years old. It has had one repair in that time. If it ever packed up beyond repair I would unhesitatingly get a newer version. We've got two 1.3 cubic metre compost bays and it gets a fair bit of use.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 25th, 2019, 3:31 pm

We had a shredder years ago when the garden got overgrown. It was useless. Every time the cutter jammed, the motor kept going and the rubber drive belt melted! :(

We have free deliveries at the moment, but the Tories are threatening us with charges for garden waste. There's enough problem with fly tipping now. It just shows that politicians whether local or national, have no common sense.

They are also threatening to make the free carpark in the village into "pay and display", and then make the nearby roads "resident only" at a "nominal charge". That will be the end of the village centre. Everyone will go to Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda, and the new Aldi and Lidl that may be open by the time we are home.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 25th, 2019, 3:59 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I hope they are not using separate contracters for the latter.

Don't know about separate contractors, but different wagons, however, I think they are battery driven … Grundons used to collect all the waste in the borough (perhaps with the exception of green waste) and it was taken to a facility where everything was then hand sorted.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 25th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Our garden waste is £50pa (11 months garden waste, the collection after Christmas is trees only collected from anyone). It was only when it was introduced that I discovered that charging was quite normal. Our gardens are tiny round here and garden waste has to be crammed into green bags as we can't have wheelie bins in this part of town. It's not worth paying all that, I go to the tip twice a year with my and my neighbour's garden waste. The rest of mine goes in the compost bin. They are currently trialling food waste in some parts of town but not here. We have different collections for landfill/incinerator, recycling and green.

BTW. Some garden centres will take used plastic pots back, they get made into other things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 25th, 2019, 5:35 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:I hope they are not using separate contracters for the latter.

Don't know about separate contractors, but different wagons, however, I think they are battery driven … Grundons used to collect all the waste in the borough (perhaps with the exception of green waste) and it was taken to a facility where everything was then hand sorted.

I meant for the batteries and clothes, which most people won't be getting rid of on a weekly basis, I imagine. Not 'green' vehicles in Bromley :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 26th, 2019, 6:42 am

We have a large and small black caddy for food waste. It's collected by a different dustcart and legend has it that the cart is powered by the food waste.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 26th, 2019, 7:22 am

I currently have a waste of space outside shared area which the council do a very good job of maintaining and taking the garden waste away with them. Previously I had a huge garden and no garden waste collections so my mum would come round with her green bags, fill them up and take them home with her to be put out for her fortnightly collection. We had to stagger our gardening so that we didn't run out of bags.

Here now, each flat has a large, black wheelie bin for general waste. No recycling collections at all, although they are introducing the service next year to bring us in line with the rest of the area. So it will be 'Bin City' out the back! At least it's land being used for something I guess, and keeps them off the pavements out the front. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 26th, 2019, 7:36 am

Recycling for flats has been something of a stumbling block, hasn't it? It is something which will have to be addressed eventually but I don't know how when space is at a premium. Even if they went for sites per street or area, they would need a lot of space and (more importantly) management to work. This area, although mostly terraced houses, has bedsits and people who do not read English or just don't bother adhering to rules. Incorrect rubbish disposal is an ongoing topic of conversation, it would be costly to police it properly (as well as feeling like a police state!).

We are allowed to put clothes in with mixed recycling, they have to be placed in a bag. Batteries can be taken to supermarkets, light bulbs are a nuisance.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » September 26th, 2019, 7:50 am

There is a timetable issued by the village office for the collection of garden waste, the only problem is that being Cyprus the timetable is irrelevant. However people put their sacks out, it gets collected eventually. Bonfires are illegal except in January and February. We are having the garden cleared this week, one of the conditions of the contract is that they take the waste away.
A local friend had a wonderful system, he put all his garden waste in a heap on the other side of the road. The goats came along and ate everything except the tough branches, the branches were retrieved for fire wood. How's that for recycling? Unfortunately that herd of goats has gown as a consequence of EU regulations reducing the number of goats.

Paper and plastic are collected once weekly, general rubbish twice weekly most of which goes to landfill. Heavy rubbish, eg old chairs, fans is collected the first week in the month ,

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 26th, 2019, 9:28 am

In an area of flats, waste in general here has been a problem. When I lived in the house with the huge garden, we had a black and a green bin per house out the front. All lined up quite regimentally, they didn't really stick out like sore thumbs or get abused. Here, however, because there are no recycling facilities close by, except for a Salvation Army clothes bank half a minute walk away from my front door, it is all a bit of a free for all. It is the first place I have lived where you don't have your own bin. We have six bins, six flats, take your pick. You could fight a losing battle and have a bin cleaning company, get a sticky number for the side, but you would be wasting your time as there is always someone who will abuse the system. I have seen half eaten takeaways thrown in, bins being emptied out, sorted through and left all over the ground (some poor desperate soul looking for rich pickings?), and heaps of maggots crawling around. Thank goodness most of us do care enough or have the common sense to realise that putting rotten food out like that is asking for trouble or it would be a heck of a lot worse. We have two very responsible families with young children in our block now. Never have I seen or smelt a dirty nappy. :sprout: And a huge dog on the ground floor who is always cleaned up for. Unlike the slob up the other end who allows his dog to foul public areas and I have even seen him urinating out there! Disgraceful.

As said, it's a difficult thing to police, especially when some couldn't give a good hoot about the welfare of our planet or how to make our neighbourhood a pleasant place to be!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 27th, 2019, 7:07 am

Shredder reviews

http://fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm#C3

I have the AXT 25TC and it is very good, the end product is used as a mulch/weed control top dressing. Perennial weeds are stored in plastic bags (rubble sack style) either until they rot or there is a trip to the dump.

The free green waste collection began as a move to reduce green waste going to landfill where it creates methane, now it is £80 PA for ten collections, expensive I think and who cares about the public good any more? Of course driving to the tip is very eco isn't it. This not telling anyone off, it is what so many have to do now.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 7:35 am

I drive to the tip with garden waste twice a year which I don't consider too eco-unfriendly. I have been astounded in summer months to see people queue at our tip for ages just to empty out their modest grass mowings for that week. They must have too much time on their hands!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 27th, 2019, 7:35 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I drive to the tip with garden waste twice a year which I don't consider too eco-unfriendly.

I wasn't taking a pop em, I'm sorry if you thought I was, not my intention, this house also goes to the tip...oops, we probably mean 'Community Recycling Centre'' from time to time, just railing at our totally hopeless governments of several decades.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 27th, 2019, 7:53 pm

I may be repeating myself… but the whole system is based on the assumption that when necessary you will prop it up by delivering your own rubbish to the tip

This is simply unacceptable

I live in a London borough where 2/3 household do not have access to a vehicle. Nobody seems prepared to give us any useful support
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 27th, 2019, 8:07 pm

only 40% car ownership where I live the last time a survey was done. There isn't much point in having one most of the time.

StokeySue wrote:but the whole system is based on the assumption that when necessary you will prop it up by delivering your own rubbish to the tip

This is simply unacceptable

Completely agree. And beyond our London-centric experiences, how are rural-dwellers supposed to manage?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 27th, 2019, 9:37 pm

miss mouse wrote: I wasn't taking a pop em,

I didn't think you were, but quite agree that the sum total those with larger gardens (or teeny bags of lawn mowings and nothing better to do) who go regularly do create a very eco-unfriendly situation.

Although you say there is an assumption that when necessary you will prop it up by delivering your own rubbish to the tip that is only the case when you are in the kind of situation where a skip might be worthwhile. Our local refuse dept will take most things - but larger things only at a price and if a booking is made and green waste only if you pay £50pa. Obviously many people cannot afford either nor have a car or van, that's why there's so much flytipping.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 28th, 2019, 7:05 pm

We avoid going to the tip if at all possible. There are often long queues and we can only go on Saturday or Sunday morning (i.e. during weekend opening hours.)

I have to say our garden waste collection service has been good. They have fetched the bin from just in front of the house (and behind the car) when we have forgotten to take it to the curb and they have been known to take plastic sacks of overflow stuff.

That shredder is quite big, Miss Mouse... looks good though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 29th, 2019, 6:30 am

Herbidacious wrote:We avoid going to the tip if at all possible.

So do we, not an ideal morning out for us. Stuff is piled until we cannot stand the mess/have run out of space and then a new pile is begun immediately which is very annoying, surely we could be tidy for a day at least?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 29th, 2019, 10:19 am

Alas that applies to lots of things in (domestic) life - dirty dishes, laundry, household recycling, vegetable peelings... ;) To avoid it, we'd have to go naked and not eat (or only eat raw food which we can eat in its entirety without the need for utensils) :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop