My mother

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

My mother

Postby Pepper Pig » October 5th, 2019, 7:53 pm

My mum has always made great shortcrust pastry. She was down with us for a family birthday party today and I took her home to her Northamptonshire village later - Radio 4 fans, next parish to Rev Richard Coles. I’d just arrived when there was a knock on the door. It was a lady from the Farm Shop collecting pies for Apple Day which follows tomorrow’s Church Service. Mum had made 8 large pies. She is 91 and they looked and smelled wonderful. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Last edited by Pepper Pig on October 6th, 2019, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: My mother

Postby aero280 » October 5th, 2019, 8:07 pm

:tu: :tu:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » October 5th, 2019, 9:05 pm

That's amazing, you must be very proud of her, my mum god bless he was a great cook, it is where I got my love of cooking from.
We have a lot to thank our parents for.
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2019, 9:13 pm

There's a lot of truth in the recommendation to stay active in retirement! What a lovely effort - I bet they'll be well received, what a busy weekend she's had!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 6th, 2019, 5:48 am

Pepper Pig wrote: they looked an smelled wonderful
I bet that they tasted good too, well done your Mum :drool:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 7:01 am

Fantastic ... and great to still play such an active part in her community ... :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 6th, 2019, 10:01 am

hickybank wrote:my mum god bless he was a great cook, it is where I got my love of cooking from.

i got my love of cooking from my mother, too - it was the only way to get good food - she was one of the lost generation of cooks.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 10:11 am

scullion wrote:
hickybank wrote:my mum god bless he was a great cook, it is where I got my love of cooking from.

i got my love of cooking from my mother, too - it was the only way to get good food - she was one of the lost generation of cooks.

Snap! Scully ... Ma had a (very) few specialities that were really tasty ... but she struggled with the idea that cooking could be enjoyable ... plus a deep suspicion that enjoying food might be sinful :(. And of course, growing up during WW2 played a part too. :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 6th, 2019, 12:29 pm

Wow PP, you must be so proud of her. :luv:

My mum was a wonderful cook though she always maintained she didn't enjoy it. My sister was a blindingly good cook too as is my nephew and one of my cousins is a chef so it seems to be something that runs through the family.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 6th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Seatallan, I can’t make pastry by hand as she does at all. I also proudly wear the badge of the first person ever to get nought out of ten in cookery at school. :lol: :lol: The advent of the food processor was a godsend. My pastry isn’t quite as good as mum’s but it’s passable, (And I maintain that bad teaching at school encouraged the zero result. It was a Victoria sponge which looked like a frisbee). :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 6th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Congratulations to your mum PP and love and thanks to all those mums, grans and aunties - there may also be dads and garndads, who passed on their knowledge, passion and skills to those of us who love food and cooking, :luv: :luv:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 8th, 2019, 6:39 am

suffolk wrote:plus a deep suspicion that enjoying food might be sinful

That was certainly the attitude when I was a child, showing any interest in food was considered 'bad form' possibly in the hope that no-one would notice the terrible stuff being served.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2019, 2:36 pm

I was very lucky then. My mother's family loved entertaining and cooking and sharing with others even though there wasn't much money to go round. Sinful to Gran would not sharing or appreciating what others had made.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 2:42 pm

You were lucky indeed Rats. Poor Ma was brought up by Methodists and educated by nuns ... whatever she did was wrong for one if not both of them. She once admitted to me that she’d never enjoyed herself without feeling guilty :(
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 8th, 2019, 3:04 pm

suffolk wrote:She once admitted to me that she’d never enjoyed herself without feeling guilty

Oh how sad and a mean way to bring up children.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 3:36 pm

She did want life to be very different for us ... she was very keen on people having fun ... it’s just that she found it very hard to have fun herself ... apart from the religious angle she was the oldest surviving child of a family whose father had been very emotionally damaged by WW1 and then her teens were blighted by WW2 ... not easy to get through all that unscathed. :cry:
Last edited by suffolk on October 8th, 2019, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm

OK. I'm with you on that but I might just mention that my mother had a very colourful WW2 history.

She was the daughter of an RAF mechanic and when WW2 started the family were based in Singapore. The Government were anxious to repatriate them and the family were sent home on a ship called the Laconia. During the voyage it was torpedoed by the Germans and began sinking. Mum, her mother and brother spent several days off the coast of Africa in a lifeboat. People who were dying or dead were pushed overboard. Sharks surrounded the boat most of the time, attracted by the smell of women menstruating. They were eventually picked up by the German submarine which had torpedoed them and were taken to a camp in Durban where they existed on lentils for 6 months. When I was young she never spoke of this but she won a writing competition in the Daily Sketch and from then on she became a bit of a celebrity and to this day does talks to associations such as the WI, British Legion etc. There was a film some years ago called The Sinking of the Laconia and mum was very much involved with it. Many of her experiences are catalogued at the Imperial War Museum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinki ... he_Laconia

Until recently mum would go annually to the German submariners reunion (the Germans came out of the rescue very well).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 8th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Wow......what a story PP!!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 5:19 pm

That is an amazing story PP. Obviously an indomitable woman :cocktail: :cocktail:
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm

:tu: :hug: :tu: :kneel:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2019, 6:37 pm

What a wonderful story PP. She still is an amazing woman. Live long and prosper :kneel: :kneel: :luv: :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby hickybank » October 8th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Amazing story, what a wonderful & resourceful lady your mum is, you must be very proud of her,
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » October 9th, 2019, 10:19 am

Congratulations, PP's Mum!!!!
Here's to the fabulous baker!

(Click on the thumbnail for a larger picture)
uschi
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 9th, 2019, 10:27 am

8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby uschi » October 9th, 2019, 11:07 am

I know it's not very seasonal with the cherry blossoms, but the more autumnal one is about waffles, but hey, baking is baking!!!

uschi
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 9th, 2019, 11:18 am

Wow PP what an amazing story. We need to make sure that all these stories are well documented with first hand accounts.
My mum had some wonderful wartime stories that she documented for the IWM - she never liked going into tunnels after having been machine gunned in a tunnel in Antwerp!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 9th, 2019, 11:31 am

My mother refuses to go on cruises Meganthemog. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 9th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Wow, PP, what a story!!! 8-)
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 9th, 2019, 6:45 pm

She's a famous lady now PP. Does she know?? :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 10th, 2019, 9:51 am

I have just caught up with this, the most unlikely people have amazing stories. I am glad that your Mother lived to tell her story
Not remotely comparable but the IWM visited my parents to record my Father's experience in Malta, recorded my Mother basically as a courtesy, then found that she was involved in Enigma machine. Not at Bletchley, far lower grade than that, she and other girls were out in the Staffordshire country side intercepting the Morse transmissions as they came in, they were then couriered to Bletchley. She had no idea of its significance until the official record was published thirty years later.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 10th, 2019, 10:04 am

Ratatouille wrote:She's a famous lady now PP. Does she know?? :hug:

Not as famous as she was when the film came out but there are various newspaper articles about her on the net. 8-)

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80032618
https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news- ... /129672518
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 10th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Wow what a glamorous lady!
Meganthemog
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop