Cristal Champagne

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Cristal Champagne

Postby Amber » October 6th, 2019, 8:44 pm

I’m sort of half watching the luxury jet programme on tv tonight.

Am I right in thinking they just served Champagne in high ball glasses??

Is this a new thing? You’d certainly get a large measure, but I think my favourite is still a tulip glass. Yours?

(Ps Prosecco counts as champagne here.)
Amber
Registered

Re: Cristal Champagne

Postby aero280 » October 6th, 2019, 9:08 pm

I don't fly very often and not in the champagne drinking bit! But I think they have to serve some "special brew" in planes because the cabin pressure is normally a fair bit lower than atmospheric and the contents would be excessively effervescent if normal champagne was served on a plane.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2019, 9:41 pm

The one and only time I flew business class to Boston all the drinks were served in glasses without stems
Including champagne and Armagnac
They take up less space and are much more difficult to spill even during turbulence
So I suspect that’s what you saw - stemless wine flutes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » October 6th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Shame, I was looking forward to drinking champagne by the tumblerful ;) :D .
Back to my glass of milk in a wine glass :rolleyes: :D .then
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 6th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Amber wrote:Shame, I was looking forward to drinking champagne by the tumblerful

Oh but you can - they aren’t small glasses on most airlines and they refill

For some reason they missed me with the digestif, so when I asked for on I got about 100ml of superb Armagnac

On Thai, even in economy they used to give you a small glass tumbler with as many wine refills as you wanted then a good shot of Hennessy. Helped sleep.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 7th, 2019, 7:20 am

I've never flown anything other than economy, and imagine I never will. I doubt husband will be willing to splash out for a special anniversary. But I was tempted to upgrade at the weekend when I was sent an email from BA offering me an upgrade from £99 for Thursday's flight (flying on my own.). I had a look (obviously theoretical) but when I went through the motions, they were asking £375. This was not long after the email arrived. But given that I don't drink, would I feel I wasn't getting my money's worth, had I upgraded even for £99...?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 7:40 am

There does seem to be a trend towards introducing some new glass shapes for our drinks ... a couple of years ago stemmed balloon glasses for gin appeared everywhere ... and this summer I was served a Blood Orange Gin Campari in a stemless balloon glass ... it resembled a small goldfish bowl. I wonder what we’ll see next ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 8:00 am

Slates?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 7th, 2019, 8:59 am

I always drink my posh gins in such a glass - DD bought me 2 for my birthday last year. I have a set od champagne coupes I found in a car boot sale and those get used for cocktails. There is something rather dacadent about drinking champagne from them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 9:46 am

Stemless wine glasses are definitely a Thing - local fine dining restaurant uses them, John Lewis have lots for example

https://www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=Riedel%20stemless
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » October 7th, 2019, 9:48 am

We got some as a freebie from Ocado a couple of years ago. I tend to use them for juice though as we rarely drink wine :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 7th, 2019, 10:26 am

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the stem - i.e. that you don't have to hold the bowl of a glass of white wine and spoil the temperature? I can see that on a plane it is sensible of course.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » October 7th, 2019, 10:57 am

the best glass for champagne is now though to be an ordinary wine glass as the coupe loses the fizz quickly and the flute doesn't allow you to get the full flavour because it excludes your nose.
i would want a stem for that reason, earthmaiden, either that or a handle - a half pint glass would do!
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » October 7th, 2019, 11:11 am

On a relatively short flight I would not bother to upgrade, no matter what drink they offer. For that kind of money one can get all manner of things on the grounds that can be enjoyed much more comfortable.
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2019, 1:31 pm

StokeySue wrote:Stemless wine glasses are definitely a Thing - local fine dining restaurant uses them, John Lewis have lots for example

https://www.johnlewis.com/search?search-term=Riedel%20stemless

I rather like them (recently bought a set from Sainsburys) but Mr S can't abide them.

Don't really care what fizz is served in however, especially if it is Actual Champagne... :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I would definitely consider getting some as I tend to knock over tall stemmed glasses due to lack of depth perception. The LSA ones with coloured stems would be an alternative but I don’t really like coloured glass

I’ve noticed that restaurants and wine merchants often serve most fizz in that incurring glass that is often called a Prosecco glass, I quite like them
https://www.johnlewis.com/lsa-international-prosecco-glass-set-of-2/p3080650
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I have no objection to a stemless glass for red wine ... but for white wine :shock: I was served some Sauv blanc in a stemless glass a while back ... not happy :(
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2019, 2:19 pm

That's what Mr S feels (though he isn't keen on stemless glasses for red wine either).

I like the incurring fizz glasses too- indeed, I have that very set! :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 2:37 pm

Spell checker :evil:
I meant incurving but there you go
On a different machine now, which is quite happy with the V
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 7th, 2019, 2:48 pm

:D

I prefer the original version! :cocktail:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 7th, 2019, 2:50 pm

suffolk wrote:There does seem to be a trend towards introducing some new glass shapes for our drinks ... a couple of years ago stemmed balloon glasses for gin appeared everywhere ... and this summer I was served a Blood Orange Gin Campari in a stemless balloon glass ... it resembled a small goldfish bowl. I wonder what we’ll see next ...

I have noticed this trend as well mainly on tv where I have observed a wide variety of different people drinking fizz out of wine glasses. Maybe it’s so they can get more in the glass? I much prefer the standard flutes - not the tulip shaped ones as I think I might dribble? :oops:
Bubbles
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 7th, 2019, 3:05 pm

A friend bought me some short stemmed wine glasses, which are made to fit more easily in a dishwasher, which they do - I think dishwashing is definitely one of the reasons restaurants with limited space like stemless glasses , that and storage space
Anyway, these are also ideal as gin balloons :tu:
Sadly, having made them specially to fit dishwasher racks, they didn't use particularly dishwasher safe glass, most of them are now milky :td:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 7th, 2019, 4:48 pm

I’ve yet to make the transition to the balloon glasses for gin. Still using my lovely crystal high ball glasses...maybe one day? :D
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Amber » October 7th, 2019, 11:54 pm

scullion wrote:. a half pint glass would do!

Sounds good to me! :D

As I don’t like ice in my gin, I hate the large balloon glasses. My little (standard!) measure of gin looks almost non existent. I don’t like the very long stemmed wine glasses either. Like Sue, I’m in great danger of knocking them over :oops: . But a tumbler of wine? Sounds nice, but no, not for me, thank you. I prefer a nice elegant glass. Or two ;) :D .
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2019, 7:56 am

scullion wrote: either that or a handle - a half pint glass would do!

Wasn’t there a fad for serving champagne in silver or pewter tankards?

Early yuppie, maybe 1980s?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 8th, 2019, 8:14 am

Don't remember that :?. I Think one of the things about glasses is that they have become so big, stem glasses seem much easier to knock over. I've got my grandmother's wine glasses, they hold considerably less than today's standard size and have shorter stems. Obviously still breakable but the proportions seem to work well. Am I right in thinking that it it only during my adult life that people have started drinking wine as a drink rather than meal accompaniment? I grew up with a mother who considered alcohol a demon and a father who liked a sherry or scotch at appropriate times and have rarely moved in the best circles since so didn't get a proper drink education. Maybe I could spent my retirement learning .. :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 8th, 2019, 9:11 am

I still have a set of 6 glassses that my mum bought in Woolworths in the 1930s for her "Bottom drawer" they have amber coloured stem and gold vineleaves round the rim. They only ever came out at Christmas
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Bubbles » October 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

I have two absolutely lovely Champagne glasses that I got free from Chambourd. I had to send away for them and they took so long to arrive I completely forgot about them. Happily they arrived in one piece - or two but I’ve never dared use them as they are so long stemmed! Not bad though for a £7.00 bottle of liqueur. :cocktail:
Bubbles
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop