Open University/Adobe Lightroom

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Open University/Adobe Lightroom

Postby Pepper Pig » October 19th, 2019, 5:19 am

I've just started another photography course, this time a 10 week standalone one with the Open University. The recommended editing software is Adobe Lightroom. Does anyone here have any experience of it? They say it's straightforward but it doesn't really look it.

And did you know the OU does a range of free, taster-type courses in their OpenLearn range? One of my fellow swimmers has just retired from being a course moderator and really reckons them to be good. (Typically mine isn't a free one).

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/free-cou ... -catalogue
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Open University/Adobe Lightroom

Postby earthmaiden » October 19th, 2019, 7:10 am

Hmmm, I haven't used it but believe Lightroom is the usual recommendation. I think to master that sort of thing on your own is quite hard. It's nice to be in a class to exchange information. I'm doing another photoshop course after half term - looking forward to getting up to date as the last one I did was at least 15 years ago.

Great OU info, thanks. I gave up OU when the fee system changed but some of those modules look interesting.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » October 19th, 2019, 7:20 am

I wanted to say thanks for the reminder about Open Learn, it has changed so much since I last looked at something like that.
I'm an avid reader with various interests and it looks like it will really help me focus on certain subjects.

As a practice just signed up for a subject I did 30 yrs ( :o ) ago ...

p.s if anyone knows of anyone interested in railway history then University of York do some (payable) online courses.
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2019, 7:50 am

Your course sounds interesting PP. OU are a fab organisation to sign up to. I did a short arts course about 10 years ago. Wasn't aware they did free courses. Annoyingly I must have signed up using my current email address and have forgotten my user name. Any ideas on that? I can reset my forgotten password but only if I can remember my user name. Grr! Would love to take on a short course for the winter.

:tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » October 19th, 2019, 9:11 am

lightroom is one of the programs i never used from my copy of the master collection (can't use any of it now i have a mac) but have you tried looking through the lynda free tutorials? some of them may be a little advanced and possibly the free ones will be for older versions - although the basic program shouldn't have changed. the more modern stuff will possibly need a subscription.
have you thought of seeing if the library has any books?
there are some pretty good books for the adobe collection - the 'classroom in a book' series - i have the photoshop and dreamweaver ones published by adobe press but you could try looking on abe books where there are a few older version books for very little that may be a help. scrolling through there are some that aren't too many years out of date and at a good price.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 9:47 am

Sorry only just saw this. I have and use Lightroom (regularly).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 9:53 am

To add to that, I don't find Lightroom difficult. No messing about with layers, The only thing that did, initially, regularly piss me off is the way it wants to move your photos around. Just make sure when you import, that you also say where they are going to go (right hand column) otherwise may move them! :evil:

I keep saying that I should do a dedicated Lightroom course (maybe at the City Lit) but the prospect doesn't thrill me. It's always tricky doing courses when you know quite a bit from being self taught. I find myself switching off when they start talking about things I know, and not swtitching back on again whne they start talkign about things I don't.

Are you shooting in RAW?

I'd quite like to do a photoshop course too. My knowledge of it is very rudimentary - doesn't extend much beyond the basics than cutting things out and removing blemishes.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 21st, 2019, 10:38 am

Not shooting in RAW. The OU have advised against this for "sharing" purposes. They have lots of tutorials and links to YouTube tutorials which I couldn't see when I first posted this question as the course hadn't officially started. I think I'll probably be OK, thanks everyone. The course is only 10 weeks so I've signed up for the Lightroom and Photoshop package for that time.

Thanks again.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 1:03 pm

Interesting. When you process in Lightroom, you export edited RAW files as jpegs (or other shareable format) anyway. (Because the RAW files can't be altered.)

edit: looking at the City Lit Lightroom course, it suggests you can expert as RAW. now I am confused! It's by the by, but I will be looking this up!

If you pick up any excellent Lightroom tips maybe you could pass them on :) (Or is that cheeky...? :? )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 21st, 2019, 1:40 pm

I’ll try and find the bit about RAW next time I’m on the PC. It’s not that it can’t be done they just don’t want you to when you post your photos up on the Group Discussion/Critique boards. I may have got it wrong as I haven’t a clue really. OH is on there playing games at the moment Herbi.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 21st, 2019, 3:07 pm

It says in the introduction to the course:

2 OpenStudio: My Photos
The ‘My Photos’ tab of OpenStudio is where you will upload and manage your own images week by week. Every week you can upload up to 10 images. You do not have to use all 10 slots if you do not want to, though we encourage you to do so. Each image must be a JPEG and should be under 5 MB in size. However, there is little benefit in uploading image files as large as this as they may contain more pixels than can be dispayed onscreen. You will find it easier and quicker if you upload images of less than 3 MB.

I still haven't found the bit about RAW but it's in there somewhere!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm

RAW
For those who have not heard of RAW before, it is not required for the module but this format is shown when using Adobe Lightroom. D****** (moderator) will be putting further information in the ‘Extra tricks & tips’ forum in due course (this forum opens about two weeks into the module).

Why swap from RAW to DNG?

Below is a link to Adobe's website on why they think using DNG is good practice.

The Advantages of the DNG format
DNG-Enhancements in Adobe Lightroom 4
For those who use RAW

You can convert your RAW files as you import to Lightroom. You then avoid compression and other disadvantages of using JPEG in camera. You could then make ‘non-destructive’ edits in Adobe Lightroom and finally save as a JPEG when you need too. If you are interested in using this, do let us know how you get on via the forums. You may come up with the problem of your camera’s format not being supported.

To convert to DNG if you are not using Adobe Lightroom, have a look at http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=4576. Or, for a later version: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=5024.

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 21st, 2019, 3:32 pm

I have done a few little courses/photography afternoons and one of the first things they always say is shoot in RAW for the reasons stated in your last post. The main obvious reason for using DNG over RAW seems to be the size of the files. I can certainly attest to the memory-gobbling nature of RAW files! I ended up getting custom memory fo my last laptop as the current trend is to have less and less memory (and put everything on the cloud).
Some downsides of DNG here:

https://www.photoup.net/differences-bet ... -png-jpeg/

But you can't shoot in DNG in my camera anyway...

Sorry, I am beginning to sound very spoddy. There's always someone on the courses I have been on who goes on and on about the techy side of photography to the exclusion of the artistic elements (the latter being what the tutor is always most interested in.) It's not me! (So far it's actually always been a man... :shock: :?)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 21st, 2019, 3:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone has just told me in our little group what I need to do to make one of my photos really stand out. It is complete gobbledygook and I'm sure he's just trying to impress the other members. Actually it bothers me a little bit that I am the only girl in the class of ten but I am not going to let on. It might work to my advantage, you never know.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 23rd, 2019, 12:22 pm

Well the first problem is that I have Lightroom CC and the OU tutorials are for another, older version. The good news however is that the Creatve Cloud tutorials are much easier to follow!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 23rd, 2019, 6:38 pm

Jolly good. I think the hardest thing about it is it's organizational element, which I should have studied before I got going, but well, you know I just wanted to process photos (especially as I shoot in RAW and needed to.)

I am not sure if the doubtless chaotic way my files are organized from a Lightroom perspective can be remedied without a lot of work. I am adamant that I organize my files on my machine the way that seems intuitive to me, but I could probably (definitely) still organize them better within Lightroom.

I do have a technical problem with LR. I think it doesn't like my graphics processor. I have to fix it every now and again as LR goes through phases of constantly crashing. Usually starts up again after a Microsoft update...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 7th, 2019, 8:58 am

Herbi, do you use the histogram a lot?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 7th, 2019, 9:03 am

:tu: Now you're talking too technical PPig ;) :? :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 7th, 2019, 9:15 am

Thought that would impress you! :lol: I am taking baby steps through this course, believe me. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 7th, 2019, 9:51 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Herbi, do you use the histogram a lot?

PP, no, but I should. I understand what it shows, but not really sure how to act on that information. I really should do some studying... I am really very lazy on this front. I am probably quite weak on exposure. Too many photos with rather blown out skies, and I am probably relying too much on Lightroom to bring them back. (Especially now I have got to grips with the graduated filter... which leads to the further temptation of creating slightly unreal, HDR style images. Which is fine occasionally, I suppose.)

Are they recommending any good books? Maybe I should do your course if they run it again. Not sure I trust myself to keep up with on line studying though. I will wait for your appraisal of it, perhaps.
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop