Peacocks

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Peacocks

Postby Pepper Pig » October 28th, 2019, 3:43 pm

This is a bit random but I keep seeing peacocks on lifestyle programmes (I have to watch a lot of daytime TV these days). If one wanted a peacock would one have to buy it or just hang around and wait for one to land/nest?

I don’t want one by the way but if they randomly land I need to be prepared! :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Peacocks

Postby Herbidacious » October 28th, 2019, 3:50 pm

This would be an exercise in how to really annoy your neighbours?!

https://www.wideopenpets.com/5-essentia ... s-as-pets/

"They are fun and festive to have around..." ??!!

I imaine you buy them from a peackock breeding farm.

I don't think they tend to fly far, so you probably won't have one landing in yoru back garden.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 28th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 28th, 2019, 4:01 pm

They are notoriously noisy - they screech

They used ot have them in the park but stopped, as they had to be in quite a small enclosure
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 28th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Peacocks are very noisy birds, they only have their tail feathers in the mating season to impress the peahens. Avoid
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 28th, 2019, 4:38 pm

I can recall an episode of Yorkshire Vet, when Peter had to try to catch one …. they don't fly very far but can get up onto roofs, so almost impossible to catch. When I was in Kerala a couple of years ago, I missed a couple of peacocks flying into the paddy field outside our hotel rooms :( BiL saw them :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 28th, 2019, 4:45 pm

They're even noisier than Guinea Fowls and that's saying something! :D

Beautiful birds though.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 5:00 pm

Seatallan wrote:Beautiful birds though.

The pea hens are rather dull.

cyprusmoira wrote: they only have their tail feathers in the mating season to impress the peahens.

I didn't know that. It is nice to see them occasionally but I would not want one around all the time. The flying is very clumsy.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 28th, 2019, 5:22 pm

Lovely if you have the acreage ... I suggest 50+
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Oat » October 28th, 2019, 5:22 pm

They made a pleasant sight on a caravan site we stayed on. The noise they made at 5.10 the following morning not so pleasant. Peacock pie anyone?!
Oat
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Oat wrote:They made a pleasant sight on a caravan site we stayed on. The noise they made at 5.10 the following morning not so pleasant. Peacock pie anyone?!

Oh dear. I'm not laughing, really I'm not, just a dry cough.

Yes Please to peacock pie, it used to be quite a feature at historic banquets I think, it doesn't seem to appear much these days.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 28th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I stayed on a campsite where Guinea fowl ran past the tent chattering at 4am each day. They would have made an excellent pie :evil:.

No idea about peacocks, to have any creature just as a lifestyle show off makes me rather cross. There's a pub at Priddy in Somerset where they pootle round the outside drinking area and every so often launch themselves off a nearby roof. I remember them too when I was small at Nonsuch Park in Cheam.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 28th, 2019, 6:05 pm

They lay eggs which are edible and the birds are edible. If they decide to fly I'd put a hard hat on, they don't seem very good at it.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Oat » October 28th, 2019, 6:20 pm

A friend used to blow peahen eggs and decorate them, she ate a lot of scrambled eggs :lol:
Oat
Registered

Postby smitch » October 28th, 2019, 6:52 pm

My in-laws have a stray pair that appear in their garden every day. Nobody seems to know where they came from but they’ve been living on their road for a while.
smitch
Registered

Postby Lokelani » October 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

The noise is one thing, I find it quite a haunting sound & don't mind it in the distance, but it might be a bit much if next door. The other thing to mention is that they are very messy birds, very disproportionate for their size & the fact they are birds. I particularly noticed this when we stayed at a castle that had them, you had to be a bit careful walking around the grounds!
Last edited by Lokelani on October 28th, 2019, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 28th, 2019, 7:08 pm

This is hilarious! :D I don't actually think one is suddenly going to land in NW London. 8-) They are very beautiful though. I understand the noise thing though because of Eccles the peacock in The Archers. :lol: :lol: Not thought about the mess. :twisted:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Lokelani » October 28th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Just as well they can't fly much that's all I can say, I wouldn't want to imagine that on the car windscreen! :lol:
Lokelani
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 28th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Beautiful creatures! We had them at Down Hall Hotel when I worked there for a bit. They'd pop out from nowhere sometimes and scare the life out of you. There was always lots of mess laying around! I often wondered if this was a bit of a negative factor for a five star hotel with guests often arriving in luxury cars!

I have a similar question about tortoises, although I don't expect for one minute that they just land with you looking for a home. Everyone had a tortoise when I was a kid, then didn't they become an illegal pet to have? We got through a few, I believe, and IIRC, they all ran away... :cry:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 1:12 am

It became illegal to import Wild caught tortoises, not sure when but I’d guess some time in the 70s as I had a legally imported Greek tortoise in the 60s and in the late 70s my mum gave it to a family who really wanted one but couldn’t get it because they they were no longer available.
You can buy UK captive bred pet tortoises quite easily now I think
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 29th, 2019, 7:11 am

I think you're right Sue. I know a lady whose daughter breeds them, they seem quite prolific breeders given the chance!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 29th, 2019, 9:19 am

My dear deceased friend had one (Frugal McDougal) which her (Scottish) father had inherited from another relative if I recall correctly. Years ago, when we were students, we used to 'babysit' for said tortoise when her father and his wife were on holiday. He was a right sod for making a bid for freedom as there was a girlie tortoise a few doors away. You could usually track him down by the knocking sound of their shells as they mated. Don't think Miss Tortoise ever laid any viable eggs however.

Frugal was inherited by my friend when her father died and was still alive when she and her husband relocated to the croft in Scotland, but he died shortly after coming out of hibernation that first summer (ironically, only about six months before my poor friend died). He must have been fairly elderly by then- at least 70 if not more.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 29th, 2019, 10:18 am

Earthmaiden - I think in the wild a lot of tortoise eggs and hatchlings don’t survive so they are one of those species that over produce. Add in an incubator, and whoosh!

That’s lovely tale of Frugal McDougal Seatallen, I think onto the 70s is probably a decent age for a Greek tortoise
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 29th, 2019, 10:31 am

That makes sense Sue!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » October 29th, 2019, 10:41 am

I used to go ponytrekking on Dartmoor in my youth and they had a peacock at the riding stable. The little so and so would fly up to the gables, scramble around on the roof and woe betide if you had an open window ... then he'd stick his head in to wake you with his pleasant voice. He would also walk onto the dressers in front of the windows and steal biscuits and the like.
I used to follow him around to find his feathers, though. I still have many of them.

At night he flew into the larch trees and sleep there. His wives (he had them serially) were often eaten by foxes when they were busy with eggs or young.
There are few things as funny as peachicks, with their dowdy feathers and a little crown on top of their heads. :aww: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » October 29th, 2019, 10:40 pm

My elderly friend since departed, lived on a mobile home site in Essex surrounded by countryside. Male Peacocks strutted around the site admiring their reflection in patio doors and displaying. It was a wonderful sight when visiting - however - If you upset the owner, it was common practice for them to throw brown bread or grain onto your plastic roof night after night and sleep beyond 5am was impossible! Of course it was vehemently denied but coincidence said otherwise!

Stokeysue - do you remember Peacocks at Clissold Park?
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 29th, 2019, 11:52 pm

I was reading up on UK bred tortoises at lunchtime, and the idea of having a little flat mate really does appeal to me except for the fact that they seem to require an outdoor run in the warmer months, something I do not have. :sad: From what I could find out, there doesn't seem to be a negative side to them that there is with other small pets. There would be vet bills, but it seems worming is a lot simpler than it is for cats, they don't require walking, won't nibble wires (?) or smell (?) and don't cost the earth to feed (?). You can see I have researched heavily. :lol:

(Sorry for hijacking the thread.... :oops:)
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 30th, 2019, 12:37 am

They do have a faint odour, all reptiles do, it’s not unpleasant but quite distinct so a mainly indoor one would need to be kept very clean (not difficult, not a lot to do)

Don’t think ours ever saw a vet or had any medication in 20 years, just an occasional tepid bath and a wipe over with a drop of olive oil to shine her shell. She didn’t do a lot but could put on a fair turn of speed if she could smell strawberries or rose petals to eat.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 2nd, 2019, 6:05 pm

i have friend who has several peacocks.
i can get you feathers, but not live birds.
you need buy about 20lb feathers to make it worth shipping to uk.
wargarden
Registered

Postby scullion » November 2nd, 2019, 10:55 pm

that's very kind but i think the thread was about the whole thing rather than just the feathers.
i had a friend, a while back, who had a couple - then quite a few as they bred. they lived quite a long way from any neighbours, fortunately.

Herbidacious wrote:I don't think they tend to fly far, so you probably won't have one landing in yoru back garden.

my science teacher, at school, used to keep a pair - he was often retrieving them from people's gardens up to three miles away.

as for tortoises, we had one that died during hibernation and the other ran away.
i know of one, that must be forty or more, that used to have the run of a large greenhouse in the winter with a box to hibernate in if it wanted.
scullion
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 3rd, 2019, 9:09 am

Tere was a pair of peacocks wild in Rhosmierch, Anglesey. The peahen died, and her mate searched tirelessly for her. He was quite a sight to beho;d in the middle of a Welsh lane.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop