AND HERE WE GO!!!!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: AND HERE WE GO!!!!

Postby Rocky » November 4th, 2019, 11:05 am

I’m very envious of anyone who is entitled to vote. I have never been anywhere where I have that entitlement. I’m Irish but haven’t lived there since I was a child. I’ve lived here for ten years but am not eligible to vote. I hope I end up someday with the opportunity :D I watch it all with a keen interest though!
Rocky
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Gruney, I have nothing against the scouting movement (though I think dear friend's son rather enjoyed the Woodcraft Folk, which after all is a similar outfit really). I was a Brownie and a Guide for a while (before I discovered boys and alcohol :) ) and I enjoyed it very much. Glad that you were a scout-master. I always rather fancied being a Brown Owl but don't suppose I ever shall be. :D

Re the 'snowflake' thing- it is difficult to know where the balance is isn't it? I can certainly remember having far more unsupervised fun as a child than I think most children do now (I grew up in a village which probably helped) and we did chuckle recently when we encountered a school group out for some sort of outward bound type thing in a local wood all wearing hi-viz jackets and tied on to some kind of rope thing to keep them all together. Anyone would have thought they were making their way through an unexplored part of the Amazon basin. But I suppose the adults supervising school/child parties have to make sure they're fully covered for any mishaps.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 4th, 2019, 1:02 pm

We are watching our neighbouring constituency of Uxbridge and Ruislip very carefully. Boris is the incumbent there and has a majority of ony 5000. It's predicted he might jump ship and stand somehere safer.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 4th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Seatallan wrote:Gruney, I have nothing against the scouting movement

I didn't think for one second that you inferred you did, Seatallan :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Sea - the scouting and guiding community are always short of adult leaders, id bet if you volunteered you would have your hand bitten off!

It’s also a great way to integrate into a new community. My sister has never left the guiding organisation since joining as a brownie, guide, ranger guide, brown owl and now rainbow leader. I volunteer to do the books for the local rainbows.

When you live in a rural community these are sometimes the only activities on offer.

Like Gruney my Dad still has his woggle and grey itchy scout blanket/poncho on which all his badges are sewn. He is a lot nearer 80 than 70!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:We are watching our neighbouring constituency of Uxbridge and Ruislip very carefully. Boris is the incumbent there and has a majority of ony 5000. It's predicted he might jump ship and stand somehere safer.

There are rumours that he’s heading in this direction :scared:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Ooh er. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 4th, 2019, 2:36 pm

Seatallan wrote: I always rather fancied being a Brown Owl but don't suppose I ever shall be. :D

You can help you local Scout group in other ways, without the necessity to go through all the leader training. I'm sure someone on the committee behind the troop will be desperate to retire from it. I was treasurer for over 20 years. It took the last 10 of those to find a successor!! But many others help out with badge training and attendance at camps. All you need is the DBS check, not months of training including some residential stuff.

With your enthusiasm for hill walking, you would surely be welcomed as a "helper". That way you get to do the "fun stuff" without the admin!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » November 4th, 2019, 2:58 pm

suffolk wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:We are watching our neighbouring constituency of Uxbridge and Ruislip very carefully. Boris is the incumbent there and has a majority of ony 5000. It's predicted he might jump ship and stand somehere safer.

Good grief! I was just reading about Uxbridge and thinking how entertaining the election was going to be. They should be forced to face the music, not jump ship (and by 'they' I mean any politician of some standing).

I loved being in Brownies and Guides. I went on going in Australia and was in Kookaburra patrol but then we moved and I couldn't find another pack easily (with hindsight I think my parents could have helped me even though I was 14!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 4th, 2019, 3:27 pm

If Boris jumps to a "safe" seat, he would do well to remember Patrick Gordon Walker. :o

Although there are suggestions that he will stay with Uxbridge & Ruislip, and, if he loses the seat, he will attempt to continue his political career by appointing himself Lord Johnson and running things from the House of Lords, even as PM if the Conservatives have a majority of the seats.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » November 4th, 2019, 4:27 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » November 4th, 2019, 4:46 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
suffolk wrote:

Good grief! I was just reading about Uxbridge and thinking how entertaining the election was going to be. They should be forced to face the music, not jump ship (and by 'they' I mean any politician of some standing).

Can someone let me know when it's safe to venture out from behind the sofa ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

Us in the vicinity had been hoping that Boris might cancel the HS2 project … he had made his views on this subject very public, but now seems he is going to wait until after the election .. in the meantime all our neighbouring woods and wildlife reserves are being decimated, without it seems very much in the way of any official approval :shock: :cry: :evil:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2019, 5:05 pm

aero280 wrote:
Seatallan wrote: I always rather fancied being a Brown Owl but don't suppose I ever shall be. :D

You can help you local Scout group in other ways, without the necessity to go through all the leader training. I'm sure someone on the committee behind the troop will be desperate to retire from it. I was treasurer for over 20 years. It took the last 10 of those to find a successor!! But many others help out with badge training and attendance at camps. All you need is the DBS check, not months of training including some residential stuff.

With your enthusiasm for hill walking, you would surely be welcomed as a "helper". That way you get to do the "fun stuff" without the admin!! :D

Good point!! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 4th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Seatallan wrote:Good point!!

Right off the top of my head, knowing the things you like to do yourself - map reading and treasure hunts; "survival' cooking. It doesn't have to be as serious or "professional" as you may imagine - the trick is to keep it a game. What you are doing is giving them memories - it's up to them where they take what you have given them. Our Chief Scout is a great example of what the movement is all about.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 4th, 2019, 7:00 pm

:luv: :tu: Thanks Gruney- bet you were a wonderful scout-master!
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 4th, 2019, 7:26 pm

:oops: Thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby dennispc » November 5th, 2019, 11:46 am

"Snowflake" is a an easy tag for the media but us Gen X and older need to recognise why.

I can certainly remember having far more unsupervised fun as a child than I think most children do now

Snap, though I feel sad we’ve lost so much, now we know the extent of the abuse that went on previously, I’m glad that at least some of the nasties no longer have the access they crave.

aero280’s public transport example I’ll send to the grandchildren. The problem in this constituency is, the bus going nearest my stop will be fourth in the GE, the one going in the opposite direction will probably win. 

Posted the above yesterday in the wrong thread (Chatterbox), thought I’d put in its rightful place! (without the typos!)

As you’re all well aware, those belonging to a political party get a say in who their parliamentary candidate will be. The system’s improved since the days when it was the local committee, or more likely the chairman, who made the decision.

However, here’s a different method which worked, whether it would if it was universal I’m not so sure as things tend to be manipulated more now.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -totnes-mp

Does anyone know if it's been tried elsewhere.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 5th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I hadn't seen that before. I'm not sure what I think about it. I have no objection really to each party selecting their own people, I think the alternative stated could be manipulated to please those unlikely to vote for that party in an election (I.e. choose the worst person so they might get fewer votes at election time).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 6th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Some things never change :lol:
(A caption from a Roman exhibit).

20191105_130714.jpg
earthmaiden
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop