Togs.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Togs.

Postby Gruney » October 31st, 2019, 12:20 pm

Apart from knowing that the higher the tog number, the thicker a duvet, I have no conception of the relative thicknesses. I have always used thinnish duvets - one in the summer, and two for the winter. I have always had them dry cleaned, but, if you remember, I had an problem with fleas a couple of months ago, and I was advised to wash everything in the hottest wash my machine could achieve. One fitted in fine, but the other was a bit too thick, and I binned it.

It's now doubling up time again, and now I know I can fit one into my washing machine, I intend to wash them that way in future, and I'd like to buy another one the same. Any ideas please?
Gruney
Registered

Re: Togs.

Postby suffolk » October 31st, 2019, 12:53 pm

This is what we have
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-pa ... og/p475290

It’s getting cooler at nights so I’m just about thinking of swapping the 4.5 tog one for the 9 Then if it gets very cold we’ll put one on top of the other (they have press fasteners on the corners so they stay together in the cover).

Very comfy, great quality and they wash well ... highly recommended.

You can buy them separately but of course the one you already have probably doesn’t have press fasteners on it.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 31st, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks Suffs. Yes mine does have the press fasteners - it looks like 4.5 togs then. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 31st, 2019, 2:01 pm

suffolk wrote:It’s getting cooler at nights so I’m just about thinking of swapping the 4.5 tog one for the 9 Then if it gets very cold we’ll put one on top of the other (they have press fasteners on the corners so they stay together in the cover).

I have this set up too … in the first place I kept the heavier one on throughout the year (although I thought it was only 7 tog), but last Summer I reverted (for the first time) to using lighter one alone … tbh: I thought the thicker one had worn a bit thin, so it has come out of hibernation .. and it seems to have recovered it's bulkiness, so no need at the moment to double up.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 31st, 2019, 2:51 pm

I have a similar arrangement but a down and feather mix, I find synthetic duvets a bit sticky

The downside of feather (punny) is that you have to wash them in the laundrette as they need drying in an industrial tumble dryer

They don’t generally cause allergy problems when new or routinely cleaned so the dust doesn’t build up
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 3:46 pm

I don't think I'd get even a double one in my washing machine, let alone a king size. I have a standard sized double bed but always have a king size quilt as they stay on better. The thought of stuffing two quilts into a cover horrifies me, one is bad enough! Yes, I know the 'easy' way but I am so cack-handed I get muddled at the first hurdle even with a single one :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 31st, 2019, 3:58 pm

If you fix the corners together with the poppers it’s no harder than putting one duvet into the cover. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 31st, 2019, 4:10 pm

We have just bought two new duvets. Anti-allergenic. Best price was from Argos. JL was very expensive when compared with others like Dunelm and Argos.

We got a 10 tog for autumn and 4.5 for summer. Doubling up if it get really cold in winter.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » October 31st, 2019, 5:02 pm

suffolk wrote:If you fix the corners together with the poppers it’s no harder than putting one duvet into the cover. :D

That's how it was before - but I don't think I possess the duvet inserting gene :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 31st, 2019, 5:12 pm

Gruney wrote:That's how it was before - but I don't think I possess the duvet inserting gene

If you are interested, this is how I do it :

Lay the duvet flat on the bed.... on top of that lay the cover that has previously been turned inside out, with the open end facing you. Thread your hands up inside the cover to the corners at the opposite end. Grab hold of the corner of the duvet through the cover and then pull hands back through the opening … then shake the cover over the duvet, and locate each corner of the duvet into each corner of the cover, then do up the buttons/poppers then shake well...

Of course that might all be obvious ;) :lol: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 31st, 2019, 5:38 pm

Thanks Pat. I've tried all sorts of methods, none with much success. A woman once told me to shake it over the bannister, with the cover poppers open. That was a great idea - until I dropped it. I think I'm destined for permanent lumpy.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » October 31st, 2019, 5:46 pm

when he was small our son's method was to turn the duvet cover inside out, pull it over his head to get inside but remember where he'd left the corners of the duvet, grab hold of those through the top corners of the cover and wriggle his way out while still holding on to the corners. have you tried that version‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » October 31st, 2019, 5:55 pm

I take my duvet to the launderette each spring.
Their washing machines are larger than a domestic one.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 31st, 2019, 6:17 pm

The bannisters method is by far the best - I haven't got any though :(. Patsy - that's how DD does it - makes it look simple. Then I try and end up more like Scully's version which would be great if I were a small boy ... :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 31st, 2019, 6:37 pm

earthmaiden wrote:The bannisters method is by far the best - I haven't got any though :(. Patsy - that's how DD does it - makes it look simple. Then I try and end up more like Scully's version which would be great if I were a small boy ... :lol:

I don't have bannisters either … but this was the best I could come up with..At only 5'2" tall, I just have to stretch as high as I can and shake... There is another method that involves laying the cover on top of the duvet and then rolling them up like a giant swiss roll, but the opening has to be at the right end and I generally get that wrong ..

Now trying to turn my mattress is impossible and another thing entirely :o :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 31st, 2019, 6:44 pm

scullion wrote:when he was small our son's method was to turn the duvet cover inside out, pull it over his head to get inside but remember where he'd left the corners of the duvet, grab hold of those through the top corners of the cover and wriggle his way out while still holding on to the corners. have you tried that version‽‽‽

Yes - getting in was ok, but I couldn't turn round to get out again.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 31st, 2019, 6:58 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 31st, 2019, 7:42 pm

We need for anything thicker than a 5. In the summer we use a 2.5. Neither of us can bear being over heated. we have a light but warm faux fur throw which is aways sufficient.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby wargarden » November 2nd, 2019, 6:07 pm

not sure about togs but the troggs play pretty good music.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 2nd, 2019, 6:21 pm

Well it’s irrelevant wargarden but it certainly shows your age.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 2nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

Reg Presley died at least six years ago.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 2nd, 2019, 7:53 pm

I remember the BBC banning the original “Love is all around” thinking it was about free love :oops:
Actually it was about his wedding to the woman he was married to virtually all of his adult life :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » November 8th, 2019, 8:18 am

Didn't they do Wild Thing as well?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2019, 8:27 am

Yes! :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » November 8th, 2019, 10:55 am

earthmaiden wrote:The bannisters method is by far the best - I haven't got any though :(. Patsy - that's how DD does it - makes it look simple. Then I try and end up more like Scully's version which would be great if I were a small boy ... :lol:

Maybe I can make my 4 year old grandson earn his keep :lol: :lol: :lol: I could rent him out!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » November 8th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Well it’s irrelevant wargarden but it certainly shows your age.

pretty sure the troggs are still performing, though, and you should, certainly, know that music stays around, for maybe centuries, after it's been written - even if the players don't .

- and jokes are never irrelevant.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 8th, 2019, 4:13 pm

wargarden wrote:not sure about togs but the troggs play pretty good music.

:D :tu:

Weren't they from Hampshire? Romsey possibly? Somewhere near my old stamping ground anyway.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 8th, 2019, 4:14 pm

...Andover!! :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Reliving my teens 8-) :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 8th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Crop circles as well for Reg, I believe! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » November 8th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Yes ... he was convinced wasn’t he ... ?
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop