Home entertainment - starting from scratch

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Home entertainment - starting from scratch

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2019, 12:53 pm

I am after recommendations please for setting up my home with the platform for being able to stream, download, save, listen to, read, watch, play, whenever I want - books, music, TV and films.

:grin:

My fossilized methods of doing this are in the past (I used to run everything through Sky and my I-pod) and times have moved on so much over the last five years, I am not quite sure where to start!

I already worked out I need broadband. Well, whether I need it or not, I'm getting it on 15th. For the deal I have got through my mobile provider of at least a decade, it was a no brainer.

So device wise. I have a very dated I-pod (Nano I think?), a third generation, rusty old Kindle that for the life of me I am unable to deregister. Even Amazon tech team were baffled. It's got a slightly chipped screen. I think I'll read what's on it and put it in a cupboard, with the I-pod...

I have an Android phone, smart TV, a basic tablet.

I use Amazon a fair bit for deliveries. It is a useful thing when you don't have a car.

Someone I know reckons on getting a Fire Stick and subscribing to Amazon Prime. I'd enjoy free deliveries on goods!

Anyone rate Netflix?

What's Now TV all about?

If you were starting from scratch, knowing what you know now, which is more than I do :lol: what route would you go down?

By the way, I am not keen on getting one of those Alexa things. She's too nosey. I won't pay for Sky. Too many ads. I am debating getting a modern record player for vinyls. I think they do more than just play vinyls these days.

Help! :grin:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Home entertainment - starting from scratch

Postby earthmaiden » November 1st, 2019, 1:02 pm

Interesting question! I hope you get some helpful answers - I would like to know too! I would also like to know, if you have wifi speakers throughout the house, what it has to be set up to?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » November 1st, 2019, 1:08 pm

If you have a smart tv, there may be apps for Netflix and/or Amazon on there. Amazon Prime will cover deliveries plus film and tv programmes.

Otherwise, you'll need to stream from your phone or other device to your tv, either with a Chromecast or Firestick.

Now TV is similar, it is a streaming version of Sky.

We also have two wi-fi speakers in our lounge and one in the kitchen. We subscribe to Google music and you can also use other apps such as BBC Sounds, Spotify etc and radio stations.
smitch
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

I have Netflix and an Amazon fire stick. The latter I have because my oldish Smart tv has stopped doing Amazon tv (which is part of my Prime sub) and Amazon were offering my a cut price stick. The stick presumably amplifies the signal, so I get get better 'reception' of Netflix and iPlayer through it, as well as Amazon stuff, than through the smart tv app. Amazon used to stall a lot through the app, and Netflix a fair amount. This is due to the stength of my signal I guess, even though I have wi fi boosters, rather than the providers (on the whole, at least.)

re which is better in terms of tv content, that's going to depend on your tastes! I subscribed to the most basic Netflix package to watch something specific, but have not unsubscribed as it's quite cheap, and there is just about enough to keep my interest. I probably watch Netflix more than anything else, but this is not saying much as I probably watch tv about once a week.

I don't stream music. Play my CDs on my 1980s hi fi separates (no remote) and 1970s wooden speakers with super expensive cable. I am very happy with (the quality of sound of) this set up. Or... in the kitchen on a blue tooth megaboom speaker using my phone (I seem to have mislaid my iPod. I fear it was lost on the way home from holiday.)

The Firestick is 'with Alexa voice'. Not sure what this means. Don't use it though (apart from husband mucking about and asking it inappropriate questions when it arrived.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2019, 4:54 pm

Ooh, this is exactly the sort of info I was hoping for! :grin:

I had thought of speakers, very briefly. I have none, zero, zilch. :lol: Only the inbuilt ones on my devices. So that's worth thinking about, thanks EM. :tu:

I'd better go and check my TV apps!

<approachestvnervouslysmiley>
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » November 1st, 2019, 7:43 pm

I´d second Netflix. I´m not a great TV watcher, but Netflix has everything and more. Very easy to use, too.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 1st, 2019, 7:43 pm

I have a question. :oops:

I have a TV with USB port. I am yet to find any apps on it. Bear with on that. I have found how to switch from TV source to removable device source (I'm guessing that means whatever I shove in the USB port?) I have an Amazon account. I will soon have broadband. Can someone explain in idiot terms how I get the film or the music or the TV programme onto my online Amazon account and then onto my TV?

Is that where the stick comes in? Would I sync the stick to my A list? (Someone has mentioned that at some point...) then pop it in and Bob's your uncle?

Did I mention I am technically challenged?

:oops:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 1st, 2019, 8:44 pm

We are radio listeners rather than television watchers. We either use the Kindle or one of 2 wirelss speakers. One in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. which send the signal from the TV. These are actually illegal in France :oops: Trouble here is that the TV signal come via the Freesat dish and if the weather ie bad raining hard there is now. Still we have to remind ourselevs that this is a huge improvement fro the old days of the World Servive on Short wave!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby smitch » November 1st, 2019, 9:43 pm

You need an Amazon Prime account. If you get a Firestick, it should be ready to use. You just sign in and start watching. I believe with a Prime account you can also access Amazon music. No syncing is required, it is a streaming service.

If you want Netflix, sign up to an account (or find someone willing to share their log in details) and download the app onto your Firestick. There are instructions if you google.
smitch
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 1st, 2019, 10:06 pm

Fire stick is definitely the way forward . You can download all the catch up BBC, ITV etc services . If you use Amazon a lot , then prime is the way forward . For £7.99 a month , I think , you get access to Amazon music streaming , Amazon prime TV and free delivery on millions of their products . The money probably covers what I’d pay for normal Amazon delivery anyway a month, or nearly so everything else is a bonus .

I also do Netflix . Again under a tenner a month and I’d say slightly better viewing than Amazon Prime . Between the two of them you’d be fully coverex
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 2nd, 2019, 1:31 am

I have been Googling. I think I 'get' Fire Stick now. It surely is the way to go as said. I told my dad. He said 'How much!?' He clearly doesn't realise I tend to spend more than that on deliveries in a month anyway. It will pay for that and more!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 2nd, 2019, 11:15 am

Yes, I agree, Firestick and Amazon Prime work well for us. And with the firestick you can access other sites if there's a film you really, really want to see and it's on Curzon or BFI etc.

I think you can pay a one-off charge, although we've not done it with anything other than "pay for" on Amazon Prime. When you "buy" something via your firestick it automatically debits your Amazon account with whichever card you have set up as default. And if you have clicked on something by mistake you can cancel it and the payment is refunded.

We don't feel the need for Netflix as well.
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop