Installing Windows 10

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Installing Windows 10

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 11:35 am

A few months ago my laptop, which had Windows 7, died. I took it to a local firm who resurrected it and my files, saved my old document files on Open Office and installed Windows 10.

I've had quite a few issues getting to grips with Windows 10, mostly with filing documents. A kind man at the U3A computer 'idiot' group had a look and finally explained that they had installed the online version of Windows 10 which is cheap. I hadn't known there were two versions and it explained all the issues I was having. My old Microsoft Office was lost.

This means if I want to use Microsoft Office offline or to save documents in the way I am accustomed I will have to buy and install from scratch. He suggested I looked at Black Friday sales.

I have just realised that it is Black Friday week and that I have no idea what I'm looking for. Will I need to buy a CD to install it? If I do install it will it tie up with the online version? Will it automatically recognise saved Microsoft Office files?

I have just realised I haven't a clue!
Last edited by earthmaiden on November 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Installing Windows 10A few

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 12:27 pm

I need to reinstall Windows 10, I've had quite a lot of issues but I think most of those are due to the age and debility of my PC (vintage May 2007). My problems are mainly with the Edge browser and the Outlook email app, but unlike previous versions of Windows 10 is not modular, and you have to reinstall the whole shebang, not just the apps that are annoying.

You shouldn't need a CD, it should be possible to do it online if you have a good connection, but I always feel safer if I have it physically in the house

Before you do anything, go and check out on the Microsoft forum what you need to do and how to do it, you may even be able to get a Microsoft support person to work with you, they can be very helpful (get a cuppa before you start, it's a slow process)

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 27th, 2019, 12:43 pm

I’ve been borrowing OH’s laptop since mine gave up the ghost a while ago
... today I have ordered a new one from JL ... I can collect it tomorrow afternoon. Apparently they will do the setup for me then and there .., fingers are crossed for a smooth transition.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Don't forget to make sure your Windows installation is registered to you, soyou get all the updates and access to the full support thing

Also, time to issue a reminder that while peopel contacting you claiming to be Microsoft are scammers, if you contact them and they give you a ticket number, the one time only tickets seem to be pretty secure,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Installing Windows 10

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Thanks Sue, the reason I mentioned a CD is that I want to make sure it isn't the online version (and this is a warning to others who didn't know there were two sorts as well. It is called Office 365, it saves onto a cloud and needs to have an internet connection = that's fine as far as it goes but not what everyone wants!).

Perhaps I won't worry about Black Friday and wait until my brain is in gear rather than picking a busy day/weekend to rush it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 27th, 2019, 1:44 pm

It won't make any difference to whether it's an online version if it comes on a CD - that's only for installation, which can be for the online or complete versions. Any version might come on a CD for the convenience of IT guys.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » November 27th, 2019, 5:16 pm

all the microsoft faff is the reason i went over to a mac. whenever the operating system changes the interface doesn't so it's really quite seamless.
my partner is complaining like billy-o as windows 7 will no longer be supported soon and much of his software will become unusable if he has to update to windows 10 - he's not a happy bunny.

ps. the only problem i'm going to have soon is that macs are going to stop supporting 32bit software, only supporting the 64 bit ones. my office for mac, i think, is the only one i have that will be effected but it will be an awful pain. i suppose i could always convert pages files etc to pdfs.
Last edited by scullion on November 27th, 2019, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » November 27th, 2019, 5:17 pm

EM, is it worth having a word with the local people who did it for you? Or have you already, and got nowhere? In which case, apols!

I'm going to be faced with a decision once Windows 7 stops automatic support and patches in January - I deliberately didn't do the free upgrade to Windows 10 when it was on offer as I had heard it wasn't as user friendly as 7 and, thanks to my last job, I'm extremely proficient using Word on 7 and I have a feeling that Word for 10 will be somewhat different! Of course I may be wrong and all the shortcuts etc I've been taught will also work on any new, upgraded computer .... I am hopelessly un-techy and don't have the instincts of my children's generation, I'm afraid :oops:
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 27th, 2019, 5:40 pm

I'm not very technically minded either, but made the jump from Windows 7 to 10 without any major upsets. I haven't installed any Microsoft Office software though - on the advice of my son (and with his help) I'm using Open Office now, which is free, and does all that's necessary for me. It doesn't look as professional, but still does the job.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » November 27th, 2019, 5:47 pm

i tried open office about a decade ago, on my last laptop (vista). word didn't seem that similar then and i couldn't always read proper 'word' documents using it but i'm sure it's improved by now.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 27th, 2019, 6:10 pm

KC2 wrote:EM, is it worth having a word with the local people who did it for you? Or have you already, and got nowhere?

I haven't done anything yet but was reminded that I meant to when I saw Black Friday was approaching when I had been told it might be cheaper! I think I've missed the boat and yes, might go and see the people again as I really, really, don't want to mess up what I've already got!

Open Office is very good but files do not transfer identically and I am working on something I want the extra polish for.
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop