Car Sat Nav question

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Car Sat Nav question

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 10:18 am

I've had my Skoda Yeti for nearly 5 years and I love it to bits but this morning it displayed a message asking me to reinstall the CD/DVD for the Sat Nav which doesn't appear to be working. Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I don't have a CD/DVD . . . . .

Am hoping it's not going to be expensive. :(
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Car Sat Nav question

Postby slimpersoninside » November 30th, 2019, 10:50 am

Can't help I'm afraid but.....

.....nearly 5 years!!! I can remember you buying it, where has the time gone :scared: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 11:06 am

I know!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2019, 11:12 am

If DS's experience with his last car is anything to go by, a Skoda dealership should be able to update you Satnav for you ... but it will cost ....
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 11:24 am

Yeah. I thought it might. :( :(
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 30th, 2019, 11:32 am

Does this help?

http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/en-GB

In spite of it being named after him (famous brand), husband refuses to use sat nav, so instead I use my phone to navigate him. At least he gets to get cross with me when it goes wrong :o We are a tense couple in the car, alas...
Maybe be if we got a proper in car one he might use it? Problem is he always questions it, when I put the voice on on the phone.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Thanks Herbi. Have passed it on to my son who might be able to do something! :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » November 30th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Do you have it serviced at a Skoda dealership? They might update it as part of usual servicing, I know our Range Rover is updated every time it’s serviced.

Might be worth asking.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » November 30th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Thanks Herbi. Have passed it on to my son who might be able to do something! :tu:

Good move :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » November 30th, 2019, 12:19 pm

my partner refused to use the satnav i bought for him, when they were in their infancy, and preferred to rant at me for not knowing where we were (even if i'd never been there and we didn't have a map). one day, on the way back from upcountry when a rant was in full spate i made him stop, somewhere around coney hatch, pulled the satnav from under the seat and demanded he used it. car journeys were never the same, thank goodness.
we now just use our phones as satnavs when necessary.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm

There are a lot of advantages to having an OH who doesn't drive :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » November 30th, 2019, 2:43 pm

I hope an update is all you need, but it may be failing.

I ditched the factory satnav in my car when it started to ask for a DVD. The DVD was in but not being read. It's possible that the laser head unit in the car has become dirty and needs cleaning. In my case (and in my wife's car satnav) the laser wore out. If that's the case, it will depend on whether your dealer will be able to repair it. Most main dealer franchises these days don't seem to want to repair units. They just say the satnav has failed and needs replacing. That can be very expensive. But see what your Skoda dealer offers you. Is you unit able to use "MirrorLink"? I have the Apple CarPlay equivalent on my new Pioneer unit that I installed this week.

I have found that five years is a long time in satnav age. Things have moved on a lot. You don't need a factory satnav these days. There are units from various major audio manufacturers that can be fitted in a double DIN sized slot that give you radio (FM/AM/MW/LW + DAB if you want it) but they also connect to your smartphone and allow you to use the apps on that. I have just installed a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB in my car and for sat nav, I use the free "Waze" system on the phone, but the display is on the dashboard screen of the Pioneer. The Pioneer touch screen has almost the same function as the phone screen.

The are are also free satnav systems that work with Apple's "Maps" app and "Google Maps". All three are fairly interactive and have up-to-date traffic info, and Waze, at least, lets you send notification of problems back to Waze.

Between the factory satnav, which was replaced in 2013, was a Kenwood satnav unit which I didn't get on with. It was OK, but had a lot of bugs. The factory satnav was updated by buying a new map DVD. Saab wanted £250 a disc!! The same disc was available for the same type of satnav from LandRover for £140. Still a lot, but not a rip-off. The Kenwood satnav was Garmin based and you could update the maps when necessary for £50 with a download from the web.

The current Waze system updates automatically and it's all free. I've been using it on the phone for months. That's one of the reasons that I updated the unit in my car.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » November 30th, 2019, 2:50 pm

Thanks very much Aero, I do use Waze but I also have an old Tom Tom. These days I barely go anywhere I need a Sat Nav for but it’s just irritating that the car keeps telling me off!

I have rung Citygate up the road from you. Waiting for them to get back to me.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 30th, 2019, 3:36 pm

My 2016 Peugeot has free automatic updates until 2021, after that you have to pay for them. I love Waze but I find mobile screens are a bit small for use in the car.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » November 30th, 2019, 4:16 pm

I don't drive any longer and we don't even own our car , it is leased, so updated every 3 years. However I love navigating, always have done and am at my happiest in the car with a map. Mr R does use the sat nav for the more detailed bits but it's often easier with a map because it saves some of the sillier, more frustrating "short cuts". A map saves all the frustrations when you come across unexpected road works or diversions. Fortunately he trusts me - he'd be on his own if he didn't, absolutely no sense of direction :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop