16:8 diet anyone ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

16:8 diet anyone ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 11:14 am

I am currently having to do a 7 day record keeping of my blood pressure and suspect that I may need BP lowering medicine :scared:

I have looked up the common causes of high blood pressure - being overweight; stress; smoking; too much alcohol; inactivity ... and having never smoked, hardly drink alcohol, have a relatively stress-free life and exercise 4 times a week, the only thing I can change is my weight so I am thinking attempting this diet where you only eat between an 8 hour period and fast for the remaining 16 hours in each 24 hours.

It seems that the 'fasting' thing is now considered a healthy way of reducing and then maintaining weight and one that I think I can cope with ... just need for it to become a way of life.

Is anyone else doing this ? I know I could buy a book, but I don't really need recipes and just need to know what I can (or can't) have in the fasting period. For instance, I would miss my first cup of tea (with milk) in the morning ... would this be definitely a no no ?

tia
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: 16:8 diet anyone ?

Postby Herbidacious » December 1st, 2019, 11:25 am

I almost do this anyway :o Apart from coffee...

A quick look on the internet says that you need to abstain from 'calorie-containning beverages' so if you drank it black...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 11:29 am

That's the problem Herbi ... I absolutely hate black/green or any other coloured tea without milk - for me there is no substitute for a cup of good old 'Rosie Lee' ;) and I just couldn't fancy (black) coffee instead in the morning, besides I need sugar in this ... it just might be that I just drink water until I have fasted for the 16 hours ... :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » December 1st, 2019, 11:31 am

i know it sounds strange but have you tried drinking beetroot juice - someone i know reduced theirs to a 'normal' level that way rather than going on the meds. worth a try.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 11:45 am

I have also read this Scully and in the past have made a veg smoothie using raw beetroots ... my second plan of attack is looking at specific foods that lower BP ... :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2019, 11:53 am

Pat, I am currently trying to lower my BP too. My GP emphasised the need to cut down on salt as the main dietary requirement (above caffeine etc). I think most people know this and I have never used silly amounts but when you really look into it, anything processed has masses. It took me a week to adjust my palette with home prepared items enough not to mind (I miss it most in porridge) and I have found a lovely seaweed based seasoning which helps and is acceptable in savoury dishes.

Scully is right re the beetroot, I have been drinking a quite nice herbal infusion which contains it. Are you allowed these? Some are quite nice. I had a really lovely Twinings Cherry and Cinnamon the other day when I was out but can't find it in any stores. You can get it online but p&p costs would make it silly. I have drunk coffee all day and every day for 50 years (black for 25) but have made the transition to mostly one cup a day surprisingly easily you may find you can do the same with tea.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 1st, 2019, 11:56 am

I've been doing the 16:8 fasting for several years now, just by cutting out breakfast when I went on the 5:2 diet to lose weight. To me fasting is just that - only water in the 16 hours you don't eat anything (although I do count black coffee as water for my early morning drink! :oops: )

I have lunch at noon and don't eat later than 8pm, unless it can't be avoided (like a rare evening meal out). I don't think it works on its own for weight loss, although it may help things like keeping a more stable blood sugar level. I think for weight loss you have to also reduce the calories you eat during that time, or you'll just be eating the same amount of food over a shorter period. For instance if you cut out breakfast but then eat more lunch than usual that's not going to work.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » December 1st, 2019, 12:09 pm

I suppose you need to look into the science behind it to see what tweaks you migh tmake. I assume there is some science ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 12:24 pm

thanks everyone .... all hints/tips are useful and gratefully received :tu:

I did a bit more googling just now and found another helpful site. It really is the first cuppa in the morning that will bother me. :( I take a bottle of water to bed and drink that when I wake in the morning as this also gets my system going :tu: However, many mornings I am awake before 6 am, so a long time to just drink water. I usually only eat a square of chocolate and some kefir before my morning dance classes .. I can easily forego (forgo ?) those.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 12:26 pm

earthmaiden wrote:and I have found a lovely seaweed based seasoning which helps and is acceptable in savoury dishes.

Care to share em ? The saltiest food I eat are the occasional packet of Low salt Kettle chips ... I never have much liked salty food and don't have much in the way of processed food ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 1st, 2019, 12:36 pm

You can adjust the 16 hours to suit your routine - if you need food before exercise, for instance, your 16 hours fast ends when you eat. It might mean having a very early dinner though, and then having difficulty getting through the evening without eating extra.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 12:40 pm

One review I read was from an athlete who recommended exercising while hungry ... I thought that having something to eat before class was the better option, however, it doesn't really bother me .. I plan for my 16 hour fast to be from 6 pm to 10 am . I have never liked eating later than 6 pm as I am usually in bed by 9 pm and falling asleep about 10.30 - 11 ish
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 1st, 2019, 2:35 pm

The beetroot juice I bought in a carton is quite sugary, it also contained apple I think when I read the ingredients.
I'd actually bought it to make risotto.
I generally only eat in the evenings anyway, best way I've found of keeping my IBS under control and my breathing the best it can be, however I am a v low weight, just bordering on healthy BMI, I'm not losing weight though so I don't worry.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 1st, 2019, 2:46 pm

I guess I've been doing this for years. I have an espresso , as it is when I wake up at 7.00am or earlier.I make for Mr R but never eat anything except fruit now and then. We have lunch at 1.00pm and supper at 7.00pm. Mr R says we are Camus' Homme robot. I'm usually in bed by 10.30 - I can't stay awake after then and I must confess to a banana most nights. Nether of us is a nibbler but then again neither of us a slim :rolleyes: Good BP measures though. You can't have everything!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 1st, 2019, 4:57 pm

Patsy, one thing I would say about BP is that it isn't always lifestyle related (in a similar way to type 2 diabetes). I tried everything to keep my BP within reasonable parameters without meds but eventually had to admit defeat. I'm not overweight and I don't smoke, drink to excess or have an unhealthy diet and I get tons of exercise. I have a family history of hypertension and I think hereditary factors just caught up with me in the end. So don't beat yourself up if you have to resort to medication. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 1st, 2019, 6:26 pm

Pat - this is the brand I've got but there are quite a few other brands doing similar things. Not really cheap but if you can buy from a stockists saves p&p.
https://seaspoon.com/
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 1st, 2019, 9:06 pm

Seatallan wrote:I have a family history of hypertension and I think hereditary factors just caught up with me in the end. So don't beat yourself up if you have to resort to medication.

I forgot about the genetic history ... my dad had it for most of his life and eventually died from Ischemic (sp?) heart disease, but I always put this down to his lifestyle : lots of salt and high fat diet, together with being a smoker all his life (resulting in loss of a leg) and a drinker too .... :rolleyes: :cry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 2nd, 2019, 12:10 pm

Certainly sounds as though his lifestyle exacerbated things doesn't it? But there may be a genetic component nonetheless.

I was once giving off about having hypertension despite doing all the things that should prevent it to the prescribing pharmacist at my previous surgery. He said that you can't escape genetics and that were I not doing everything I was doing I might well be on a high dose of six lots of medication rather than a low dose of two. Put it in perspective for me...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 2nd, 2019, 12:31 pm

Seatallan wrote:He said that you can't escape genetics

'Genetics is the gun, lifestyle is the trigger' I was taught.

I really don't get the 'low salt' stuff, according to the WHO it reduces BP by 2 mm Hg, hardly dramatic. I don't like salt much so have no axe to grind here.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 2nd, 2019, 2:14 pm

Here goes...

I was very overweight. My blood pressure was high. My GP put me on their weight loss regime. This was advice on diet from the nurse and fortnightly visits to be weighed. The main driver was the nurse being quite fierce!! :o

To start with I followed what I thought was the diet, and nothing happened. It seemed that the fruit juice I was drinking instead of other things was heavily sweetened. Once that was sorted, I slowly lost weight. My daily regime was cereal for breakfast with a cup of tea and a bit of fruit. No lunch - I was mainly office based. Then some bread and jam when I got home from work and a bit later some supper, usually something light.

I got down from 115Kg (18 stone) to around 93Kg and got stuck there. Then I got ill with gall stones and had to go on a fat free diet, which kick started more weight loss. Three months of fat free, on top of the previous diet, and I got down to 83Kg, In that time my waist reduced from 48 inches to 38 inches, and my BP was said to be "quite good" :)

They key points were that I stopped snacking, and I stopped buying sweets. When working in construction it was the habit for the workmen to have a "breakfast" at around 10am. If I was there, I would join in. This was fine for them. They probably left home at 5.00am to drive into London and did heavy physical labour. My office had no canteen. The culture was to go to the pub for lunch. I stopped doing that - well, maybe a half of beer!

When I got to 83Kg, I thought "job done" :) Then I got prostate cancer and went on a course of hormones. It was supposed to be for 3 months, but a heart attack intervened and the hormones continued for 9 months. :( My weight ballooned back to around 100Kg. I have got back to a steady 91Kg now and would like to drop a bit. 83Kg was OK but I looked ill and felt the cold really badly. I'd like to be under 90kg and feel and look OK.

Try skimmed milk. It tastes OK after a while!! No butter on bread. No snacks. No sweets. If you feel hungry, try a glass of water first!!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » December 2nd, 2019, 5:06 pm

I did 16:8 for a time and felt OK with it during the summer, but winter is another story because these days I feel the cold.

Following a minor stroke in January I’m on blood thinners and blood pressure tablets and am quite cold at times.

Have a machine and record BP most days (134/74 after lunch). Never smoked, rarely drink alcohol, exercise and aim to walk at least 4,000 steps a day. We’ve never used a lot of salt but a couple of years ago I was advised my salt level was low so eat a handful of crisps a day - instead I sprinkle ground salted peanuts on my homemade cereal occasionally.

Gave up fruit juices because of sugar content, use water on morning muesli, only drink herbal teas, one coffee a day only, so don’t have much milk. Most of our food is cooked from scratch. Rarely eat sweets, lots of fruit and veg, maybe a square of dark chocolate occasionally. Never snack or eat between meals. We eat fish at least twice a week and don’t have a lot of red meat.

Last summer, cutting out bread and potatoes I was 74Kg, but had to include them in my diet to get some warmth in me. Now I’m 82Kg.

My Dad in his late eighties had a number of TIA’s. My sister, two years older than me, has always had high blood pressure - GP now accepts that.

I’m quite sure it’s genetic, but will follow the thread to see if there’s any food ideas that could be useful.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 3rd, 2019, 10:32 am

Thank you all ....

I have had skimmed milk for years, in fact couldn't drink (black) tea with anything else. However, I do need a spoonful of sugar in my solitary cup of coffee.
I think the theory behind the 16:8 diet is that when the body goes into the 16 hour fast it utilises food differently, so as someone else said above, if you don't also restrict calories, then you won't lose weight, but BP and possibly blood sugar levels improve. Anyway, I have pretty much been doing this inadvertently, as I don't like eating after 6 pm and at least 4 mornings out of 7, I ate very little before my classes, so don't generally eat until after 11.30. Just need to tweak things to reduce calories too. I couldn't get below 10st 5 lbs when I was doing SW, but that was a 3.5 stone loss .. I think I am probably somewhere around 11.5 stone now, so would like to lose that stone again at least, then it will be interesting to see if I then don't sweat so much in classes and whenever I exert myself (all healthy according to my doctor). I start my classes wearing only one layer, others needs to warm up first before they start shedding ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Amber » December 3rd, 2019, 11:18 pm

Briefly popping in to say I have heard that grated beetroot (as mentioned up thread) is a very good minced meat substute. (in things like spaghetti bolognese)
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 4th, 2019, 9:23 am

I blitzed the last lot of (raw) beetroot I had in the fridge, along with half an avocado and half a banana, complete with skin in the Nutribullet. A bit calorie dense, but totally healthy :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop