Perfect. Why can’t everybody do this? (Allergy related)

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Perfect. Why can’t everybody do this? (Allergy related)

Postby Amber » December 2nd, 2019, 10:29 pm

We were down south for the weekend and came across a Simmons bakery. I have no idea if they’re good or not. But, when I asked about the ingredients of a child’s gingerbread biscuit, the assistant pressed a button on the till, and provided me with a full printed list of all ingredients, not just the usual allergens.Perfect! Well done them, congratulations to management.

But why can’t every business do this? It would make life much easier (and safer) for so many people.
Amber
Registered

Re: Perfect. Why can’t everybody do this? (Allergy related)

Postby Suelle » December 2nd, 2019, 10:36 pm

Carluccio's restaurants are very good too. They ask about allergies when you order - in my case I mentioned my mollusc allergy, but assumed it wouldn't be a problem when I was ordering a chicken dish. However the manager came to the table a few minutes after our order was taken to say that the fryer for the chicken was next to the fryer for shellfish and the chef thought cross-contamination might be a problem. In this case it wasn't as the 'shellfish' in question was calamari which I can eat, but it shows they take things seriously.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 3rd, 2019, 9:00 am

I do wonder in some establishments, especially those who don't cook from scratch, if they really know the exact ingredients. Just a change to a cheaper frying oil or flour or ready made mix for a few days can introduce something that wasn't there before (nuts for instance). When you look at those running some places it is easy to believe they might miss something.
DDs ex partner was allergic to nuts and got very annoyed with cross use of tongs used for slices of cake and breads. Servers used to look blankly at him if he mentioned it. They only ate out at chain restaurants who were pretty good at uniform ingredients.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 3rd, 2019, 10:25 am

Amber wrote:We were down south for the weekend and came across a Simmons bakery. I have no idea if they’re good or not.

There's one in Abbots Langley which makes excellent birthday party cakes. 8-) I think they are a Hertfordshire firm.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » December 3rd, 2019, 1:59 pm

Simmons are based in Hatfield iirc. We've got a branch in town.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 3rd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Well that fits BM. :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop