Fifteen closes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Fifteen closes

Postby Pepper Pig » December 12th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Fifteen closes

Postby suffolk » December 12th, 2019, 3:36 pm

That is so sad ... we've had some marvellous meals there and the young staff have been, without exception, absolutely superb. It was a wonderful enterprise and changed the lives of many young folk.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 12th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Very sad. Changing times, but places like this where lives of the young are shaped, deserve better. I wonder, if there is political fresh air (from where I have no idea!), whether the issues regarding these chains and the demise of the high street will be looked at and taken more seriously. Perhaps sustainability was over ambitious to start with.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Lokelani » December 21st, 2019, 7:13 pm

It is terribly sad. We read the news of this when we were in holiday in Cornwall earlier this month.
We have visited it a few times over the years for lunch or breakfast and it has always been great. I often bought foodie gifts from their shelves for hamper presents as well and they were always excellent quality.
I guess it is the type of place that some holiday makers visit once, and locals rarely use. It was never easy to get a table at short notice though, so I imagined it was doing well.
Such a shame as so many of the hotels and restaurants we visit down there have Fifteen mentioned on the chef's CV. It has helped many young people become excellent chefs. So sad it couldn't be taken over or funded by some other means.
Perhaps the idea will be re-created and carried forward by someone else. I believe Gordon Ramsay has a house in Rock, perhaps he could fund a replacement..... It's got to be good kudos to the name behind it.
Lokelani
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop