Kettle advice ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Kettle advice ....

Postby KC2 » December 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Our kettle has just started to leak so I'll have to replace it pronto ... does anyone have an all glass kettle and live in a very hard water area? Does it get furred up and if so how do you clean it? We always use filtered water, which I believe does make a bit of a difference generally.

Also, do these variable temperature kettles work, or is that a lot of hype?

Thanks! I'm looking at the Argos website now!
KC2
Registered

Re: Kettle advice ....

Postby Herbidacious » December 15th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I had one. We are in London too, so pretty hard water. We have a water filter. It was fine. We got it as a wedding present, and switched to a Dualit some 5 years later, simply because we wanted a change. It still worked. I don't remember sacel being an issue, but we porbably did descale it every now and again. I think if you use a water filter you should be fine. The Dulait kettle has been going strong for about ten years and I am pretty sure we have never descaled it.

I will have to google what variable temperature kettles are!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 15th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Ah. Our kettle in France has 3 or temperature settings (e.g. it has a 'for coffee setting which is not boiling.) but it's pretty low tech. I imagine it just heats for more or less time, like an old fashioned toaster, rather than measuring (right word?) an exact temperature.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 15th, 2019, 10:41 pm

I bought my friend a stainless steel Russell Hobbs Worcester kettle a couple of years ago and we liked it so much I got myself one, I’m very pleased with it, fairly basic but quick, quiet, clear water level indicator and it lights up so I can easily see if it’s on.
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8888822

Friends have the Bosch variable temperature one, it works well but I don’t think they use temperatures other than boiling very much; as they are so much more expensive than ordinary kettles only worth it if you are sure you will use it. It does make very good cafetière coffee.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 15th, 2019, 10:52 pm

We had an all-singing, all-dancing type kettle. Possibly a Morphy Richards. It broke and I dashed to Asda and got their in-house "George" brand kettle just before they shut.

It just boils water and has a clear strip down the side so you can see how full it is. It was very cheap and it's been fine for quite a few years.

https://direct.asda.com/george/home/ket ... lt,pd.html
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » December 15th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Thanks all :)
Sue, I think that's a newer version of the one we have, which was a replacement for an earlier version of the same.

OH drinks a lot of green tea, and that's supposed to be made with not boiling water. A friend told us about that a few years ago and it really made a difference to the taste - took away the bitterness. I had never liked it, and although I'm still not keen on it I'm quite happy to drink it now.

With coffee, I guess I have just got used to it being made with boiling water over the years!! If I'm not desperate in the morning I sometimes wait a few minutes. This was the one that originally caught my eye https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9186248 but I don't really like the shape and the footprint is a bit big for the space we have available.
Arghh, we always seem to be buying new kettles in a rush! Probably why we bought the same twice running, and may well go for it again! The important things are the cup indicators and the water window, illuminated is certainly very helpful.

The leak of earlier was more of a drip round the base when making my hottie just now so i think we'll be ok for the morning but replacement definitely required tomorrow.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 16th, 2019, 12:05 am

Crikey, that a very good price for a variable temperature kettle, the Bosch is near enough £100. I don’t know Cookworks stuff, it’s the Argos / Sainsbury’s own brand I think.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 16th, 2019, 8:24 am

My kettle started leaking, it was a Russell Hobbs stainless steel one, I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't cheap, so i decided I was not going to pay for an expensive kettle again and I bought a Morrison's own for £10, that was 5 years ago and it is still going strong (wisperingsmiley :? Don't want to tempt fate) :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 16th, 2019, 8:39 am

I had to buy my mother a new kettle recently. It took a while to decide because so many of them had negative reviews focussing on horrible plastic tastes. This was on a budget though of under £40, and you would avoid this with a glass one. She was happy with what I bought here in the end. My Dualit one is brilliant, but of course after all this time one can't guarantee that the latest models will be of the same quality.

If you like the aesthetic and want different temperatures, just go for it? (But do use a water filter if you can.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby smitch » December 16th, 2019, 9:15 am

We have a kettle with different temperatures. It was a wedding present, think it is Cuisinart. We use it a lot, my OH drinks coffee at home and sets the temperature lower than I use for tea. We've had it 4 years now and been really happy with it.
smitch
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 16th, 2019, 11:07 am

Decision, decisions .... :? :?
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 16th, 2019, 11:45 am

In the end I found the quieter version of the same kettle on Amazon for less than the louder one at Argos: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K8S89Y ... 11_TE_item
The quieter one was £39.99 at Argos!

Phew.

Thanks all for your replies, much appreciated :D :D
KC2
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 16th, 2019, 1:35 pm

I saw the Cookworks glass kettle in Sainsbug today, £30.

Meanwhile I fear that the (cheap) toaster is on its last legs. the cheap toasters have lasted better in this house, the expensive fancy one was a complete dud.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 16th, 2019, 2:14 pm

My Dualities lite toaster was bought I think in June 2007
It still looks good and performs well. I find the option to toast only one side surprisingly useful
I bought the sandwich cages which are handy for things like crumpets and bagels, my only caveat is I’d like slightly wider slots, it takes square slices but I mostly buy sourdough
Link edited
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dualit-26213-2-Slot-Lite-Toaster/dp/B00OY2469G/ref=sr_1_2?adgrpid=52574649509&gclid=Cj0KCQiA89zvBRDoARIsAOIePbARFqmEe22myt3-g4CPAoX5y1GqyWEWSNNgF7cz37IgTwp_YBNey2caAgMXEALw_wcB&hvadid=259040591461&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046004&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15528717747031380366&hvtargid=kwd-295286572502&hydadcr=25548_1769589&keywords=dualit+lite+toaster&qid=1576505473&sr=8-2
Last edited by StokeySue on December 16th, 2019, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » December 16th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I have a sinfully expensive Kitchenaid kettle with a temperature guage, I never use that function, but I still love it, I'd love one of the toasters too, just because.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

This is the toaster we have, which I bought on Amazon a few years ago. https://jland.partners/38M8R0I It's absolutely fine.
We specifically wanted a 4-slice, long, thin toaster rather than a fat one with the 4 slices next to each other as we don't have the space for that design.
KC2
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 16th, 2019, 6:01 pm

KC2 wrote:This is the toaster we have,

That is the style I have (different make) and will need to replace soon I suspect. It has served us well and been very overworked.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 17th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Arghhh .... just boiled the new kettle, and it is indeed a lot quieter than the old one, but the lid doesn't work. It is very dodgy indeed and looking inside I'm not surprised.
It's very badly designed. If it's like this on day one, boil one, what hope .... Must organise the return / refund now, and decide what to get next! No point in going for the same.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 18th, 2019, 5:16 pm

Well, I thought I'd tell you what we went for in the end: https://www.johnlewis.com/sage-the-smart-kettle/p489130

Most of the reviews were positive, and so far so good ... no comparison with the Russell Hobbs we've returned. Far better made and a more solid feeling.
We thought we'd give the variable temps a go and see if we notice any difference in our morning coffee.

Apparently the Dualit ones are hand made in England, which we didn't know before the assistant at Peter Jones told us. We might have splashed out with the help of JL vouchers for Christmas from my cousin but OH didn't like the look of the spout (https://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-classi ... e/p1731363). It was one of the two kettles they sell that have the "Quiet Mark" so would be genuinely less intrusive than many others. The one we have just bought is definitely less loud than our previous one.

We'll see .... :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 1:29 am

I am glad you have had kettle success.

Dyas seem to have a suitable toaster replacement but the current one hasn't quite given up yet.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 19th, 2019, 7:28 am

I have liked the Sage products that I've had. This thread has been interesting, I had no idea before that there were such sophisticated kettles around! Mine is more of a round shape and looks expensive but was a Sainsburys own brand bought in a
sale.

I refuse to have a toaster. Everlasting crumbs.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 19th, 2019, 10:40 am

earthmaiden wrote:I have liked the Sage products that I've had. This thread has been interesting, I had no idea before that there were such sophisticated kettles around! Mine is more of a round shape and looks expensive but was a Sainsburys own brand bought in a
sale.

I refuse to have a toaster. Everlasting crumbs.

I hadn't even heard of Sage before this week! It seems that they are "designed and engineered" in Australia, but, not surprisingly, the kettle is made in China. This morning's coffee definitely tasted better and smoother, but I like it hot and found it a bit on the cool side :oops: I think I might get into the habit of warming the coffee pot.

We couldn't survive without our toaster, EM! The grill in the oven is so smelly and smokey that we never use it, not even for grilling chicken breasts or similar. And life without toast would be intolerable. So much so that when I was in what was Leningrad in the USSR in those days (1983) for three months, staying in a student hostel, I made toast on the gas rings! The other Brits joined me :D It must be said the bread was invariably hard and dry and you still had to queue up for it.

miss mouse wrote:Dyas seem to have a suitable toaster replacement but the current one hasn't quite given up yet.

Fingers crossed it lasts - at least through Christmas!
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 19th, 2019, 3:36 pm

I do admit to travelling round the USA with cheap kettle and toaster! My grill at home does toast well.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 19th, 2019, 4:51 pm

I used to get through a toaster every 2-3 years - they started to brown unevenly etc. My Dualit one is at least 15 years old now.
But, as with my kettle, are new Dualits as good as old ones? And might newer cheap toasters be better than ones I bought in the 90s and early 2000s?

One advantage of Dualit ones is that their workings are very simple, and they can be repaired (and it's worth repairing them.)

My kettle is this shape, but all black.

https://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-1-5l-e ... k/p3838798
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Herbidacious wrote: My Dualit one is at least 15 years old now.

Rather unfairly judging, the Dualit work toaster did not last long although the poor thing did get hideous abuse. If it lasted six months it was a miracle.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 19th, 2019, 6:51 pm

We had toaster after toaster until we got a Dualit in 2011 ... love it ... and it makes great toast and is easy to clean :luv:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Whereas my cheap toasters have lasted better than the fancy ones I was bullied into buying. What a nightmare purchasing decision.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » December 19th, 2019, 8:33 pm

Which one was it though, MissMouse. Some of them seem to have all sorts of fancy electronic thingies now. Part of the appeal for me is the simplicity (and less to go wrong.) Mine is the original one with just a timer. We get through kettles at a rate of knots at work. I asked for a coffee machine a couple of months ago. So far so... touch wood.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

The current (some years old) is Khun Rikkon I think (apols for spelling), a good make, from Dyas, I think Dyas must buy surplus stock. Features; eject, frozen, and timer knob. The first was a very cheap Swan which did well, in between some real duffers, no I can't name and shame, I have forgotten them.
miss mouse
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop