Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 9:37 am

Good morning
It’s quite grey here though the forecast is for it to brighten.
I think my Christmas lurgy is lingering a bit, it seems as if I’ve had 3 short ones in 2 weeks, which I don’t believe, it’s one brute with a roller coaster style. I thought my throat was bed yesterday as a reaction to medical treatment, but that only ever lasts a few hours, and it’s here today, though better. Whatever kind or virus it is we all seem to have, it has staying power
So another quiet day here
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 10th, 2020, 10:30 am

Good morning everyone
Hugs to all those with lingering lurgies :hug: :hug:
It's dry here just now but we've another gale due to hit this afternoon for the next day or so. After my :mug: I'm going to make sure I have plenty of logs indoors before it hits.
After a lot of searching and consultation with my tech-minded kids, I've found a new laptop I'm going to order. My current one is almost five years old, has had lots of use and is becoming increasing slow despite clean ups etc. I want to get a new one up and running before it finally gives up the ghost. It does mean I'll have to give up my preferred Windows 8 and move to Windows 10 which I'm less keen on but will no doubt get used to. ;)
Tonight I'm trying some of a "posh" rissotto mix I received at Christmas, I usually make mine from scratch but will see what this is like. I'm going to cook some langoustines in butter & garlic to have with it. :hungry:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 10th, 2020, 11:08 am

suffolk wrote:Parking on a dried up riverbed seems somewhat foolhardy Moira
There is "official" parking on that river bed in the summer, it has been concreted provides parking for the beach in the summer. Everyone had been warned that as the result of the heavy rains most of the rivers would be running but some people know better.
Pissouri is suffering from a different problem, no water for three days or more owing to pump failure. The Village Council is providing bottled water and water tankers have been bought in to provide water for washing etc. We have offered the use of our showers but so far no one has taken us up on that. It is lucky that it not the height of the tourist season.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm

I didn't know Rats has been hospitalised :o . Hope she's well on the mend.

Anyone got some spare memory they can donate, I went to make a chocolate cake today (been looking forward to it all week, I work Mon-Thurs) to find I have no cocoa powder! I'd be dangerous if I could get my s**t together ;) :D .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 5:36 pm

sorry, my partner's using mine at the moment.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 5:46 pm

scullion wrote:sorry, my partner's using mine at the moment.

Does he find it’s an improvement on what he’s used to? ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Our local news has just had a piece asking for males to donate blood as there is a shortage. It was quite interesting. I had no idea that there were such differences between male and female blood.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 10th, 2020, 6:49 pm

Just seen that news item ... seems to be something to do with sickle cell anaemia ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Typical :rolleyes: https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/heal ... e-21211071

I could’ve told them that ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2020, 8:24 pm

The need for males to donate blood is nationwide

There are a number of reasons, including higher iren levels and the absence of pregnancy related antibodies

I gave 28 units before I had to stop because of possible treatment related antibodies, it’s a shame as I’m B+ so specially useful for sickle cell and thalassaemia
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 10th, 2020, 8:42 pm

Let's hope that the campaign does some good.

Oh dear Suffs .. :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 11th, 2020, 6:58 am

Good Morning Wild Ones from a sunny Cyprus.
We have a small dilemma, I mentioned in a previous post that my niece had contacted us asking if she could stay with us between specific dates. Both Deb and I replied that she was very welcome, suggesting specific airports and other details. Neither of us has had any acknowledgement, is this odd. She is not a 17year old snowflake, she has three children. Am I being unrealistic in expecting a response?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 11th, 2020, 8:31 am

Good morning wild ones. It is blowing a hooley here this morning, the plants are bending double :o OH has a follow-up appointment at the hospital following his ECG last year. Then I have a washing mountain to clear, it appeared overnight :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 11th, 2020, 9:02 am

Morning all! :wave:. It doesn't look too blowey here. Wasn't the moon at the time of the eclipse lovely last night! Facebook was filled with people's pictures from all the places from which it could be seen, some extremely good.

Email etiquette seems vague. They are a cross between letters and conversations. I feel it should be assumed that the recipient checks in once a day and that it is expected that some kind of acknowledgement will be given to personal emails (the email just saying thank you is not always welcome in the workplace as it clogs up the inbox). That said, there are many people who do not check in every day or who are busy or wait until they are on a certain PC at work or home rather than a phone for instance before replying. If you are away from home sometimes you have no signal. The women's social group I belong to tries to communicate by email but several of the woman, especially older ones, only log into their PC a couple of times a week and don't use their mobile phones in that way.

Good progress made with the new year cleaning though I could never win an immaculate home award. No sooner is one room clear than another has something out of place. I have no qualms about actually living in my house though :lol:.

Going drumming again later - looking forward to it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 11th, 2020, 10:34 am

Good morning everyone,
No spare memory here I'm afraid - I stashed in a "safe place" and now can't remember where I put it :lol: .
Absolutely foul weather here, the trains are cancelled due to flooding and overhead line damage and it's barely light. It's supposed to die back this evening so fingers crossed.
My sis is coming over this evening for food and a film, I'm making slow cooked honey & soy glazed belly pork and no doubt a couple :cocktail: :cocktail: will be had :) .
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 11th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Good morning all :D :mug:

Late on parade today ... the first half of the night was fine ... then the coughing started ... Grrrr! :rolleyes: So a slow start, but I have given the bathroom a going over ... OH is at home today and has bee to the shop for odds and ends ... he's planning a Thai prawn curry for supper :hungry: He's also given the kitchen fridge a good post-Christmas sort out and has discarded anything more than two years past it's Best Before Date ... his word was final :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 12th, 2020, 7:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a warning for lovers of Cypriot potatoes, the recent storms have flooded the potato growing fields near Larnaca and Famagusta, heavily damaging the potato crop. Potatoes are going to be expensive here.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 12th, 2020, 7:26 am

Sad for the Cypriot potato farmers Moira ... but I expect my brother may benefit from a higher price for early potatoes here.
I slept much better thank goodness, and didn’t start coughing until about an hour ago.
We’ve cheered ourselves up by booking a night away at a lovely foodie pub on the Suffolk coast at the end of the month. We’ll have a room overlooking the beautiful Walberswick marshes. 8-)
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 12th, 2020, 8:17 am

Good morning wild ones. It started raining around 8.30pm last night and its still raining now, we have a pond appearing a the bottom of the garden :rolleyes: Good news though the hospital have signed OH off, he doesn't need to go back apart from one more ECG, his own Doctor can Monitor him from now on. :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2020, 9:29 am

Morning all! :wave:. It's been raining but is now a glorious day. Very sad for the farmers Moira. Great news for your OH icey. You've reminded me that I have a voucher to be used before June which can be used at certain B&Bs, Suffs. I tried to use it once before but the place I wanted was already fully booked.

Shopping and baking to be done today. Would really like a long walk but don't think I can fit it in. Maybe a shorter one :).

Hope the day goes well and that lurgies are leaving. Everyone says we need a good frost.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 12th, 2020, 10:44 am

Good morning everyone,
Looks as though we're getting a temporary reprieve from wild weather today before "Brendan" hits tomorrow. The showers are still pretty heavy though the "lake" at the bottom of my garden has reduced a bit overnight so I might get to the bin without paddling today :) .
My sister & nephew came round yesterday evening and we watched "Yesterday" which I thoroughly enjoyed. They braved the weather to walk over to mine but resorted to a taxi going home as it was battering with wind & rain.
A day of pottering and some chores for me today, I'm trying to remember where I put my USB drive it's not in the computer table drawer where it should be..... I want to transfer files to my new laptop when it arrives.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2020, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, did nothing happen to Chatterboxers yesterday,
I had a message from my SIL mainly about my nieces new man, it seems that among other things he is a professional photographer, we can keep him busy especially if he is in to spring flowers .

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2020, 7:07 am

Morning all! :wave: Rather early for me. A lunchtime committee meeting at my house today. I spent yesterday afternoon making soup and gluten-free cake. Not sure about the cake, I intend pre-slicing it so I can see what it's like. Just need to pop out for some bread and have a final clean round this morning, I do like to leave plenty of 'wake up' time though :).

It does sound wet up there ltc. I haven't really looked but it doesn't seem to me that there are really good storage systems for USB sticks, they are far too easy to mislay.

I hope that the 'new man' turns out to be charming, Moira!

Happy Monday to all :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 13th, 2020, 7:47 am

Good morning wild ones. It's so dark this morning, I can't tell what the weather is going to do, at least its stopped raining :rolleyes: I have to go for my annual blood tests this morning, thankfully it's not a fasting one :D I hope storm Brendan isn't too bad for you Liketocook :hug:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2020, 8:11 am

It looks quite bright out there.

Thankfully, I had a better night :D and coughing only started once I was awake.

I wonder what sort of professional photographer he is Moira ... family, wedding, landscape etc ?
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2020, 8:31 am

suffolk wrote:I wonder what sort of professional photographer he is Moira ... family, wedding, landscape etc ?
Yes, we want to know that too. I gather that they met at the school gate, waiting for their respective daughters. This now seems to be a classic place to meet.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 13th, 2020, 9:03 am

Good morning
We had rain overnight but currently quite sunny, wind rising later apparently

Catching up on stuff today, so today’s walk will be to the parcel office

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 13th, 2020, 10:40 am

Good morning everyone
earthmaiden wrote:It does sound wet up there ltc. I haven't really looked but it doesn't seem to me that there are really good storage systems for USB sticks, they are far too easy to mislay

I still haven't found it, however I've realised I can copy stuff into "Onedrive" and retrieve it from there. Hope lunch goes well. :)

"Brendan" is definitely on it's way the wind has really built strength over the past hour. First thing there was a very dramatic looking purple and red sky to the west. My log pile is stocked and the bin run done so I plan to hunker down until it passes. My balance really doesn't like the stormy weather pressure so I'm happy to take it easy until it settles.
You may remember that I replaced my old Kenwood Chef with a Kitchen Aid a couple of months ago as the Kenwood was failing. Well my younger son took it and has been strippng and restoring it, it's now back to full working order and may well last for another fifty years. Yesterday I gave him a virtual tutorial via video calls on breadmaking and he made a batch of rustic but rather splendid looking poppy seed rolls. I am so pleased that he's been able to bring it back to life and know he'll use it and love it like I did. :luv:
My new laptop should arrive at some point today and while I'm waiting for it I'm going to start decluttering my kitchen drawers as they are embarassingly untidy and full especially the miscellaneous "bits" drawer- goodness knows what all is in there.... :oops:
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2020, 12:02 pm

LTC do the contents of your Bits drawer confine themselves to their designated area? Mine seem to have spread into other drawers ... they remind me of that ambitious plant, the Mile a Minute vine :terrified:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2020, 12:23 pm

liketocook wrote:You may remember that I replaced my old Kenwood Chef with a Kitchen Aid a couple of months ag
How are you managing with the Kitchen Aid? Is it as good as your old Kenwood?

I have been photographing Deb for her passport renewal, with a cream wall as background as instructed. I renewed my passport two years ago, all done over the internet although I did have to send my old passport to Belfast. It was very efficient, the stuff went via DHL, you cannot trust the Cypriot Post Office, we are still waiting for some Christmas cards.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Almost every drawer in my house is a 'bits' drawer but there must be some method to my madness as I usually know which one to look in for certain items.

The meeting went well and the people who said they would bring their own lunch happily tucked into what I had provided as well. The gluten free cakes, neither of which I thought turned out well, were well received. I've enough leftovers to mean I don't need to go shopping for a long time.

The nasty weather has arrived. I'm going to be lazy for the rest of the day .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 13th, 2020, 5:23 pm

LTC do the contents of your Bits drawer confine themselves to their designated area? Mine seem to have spread into other drawers ... they remind me of that ambitious plant, the Mile a Minute vine

Don't they just - I have a bag of "stuff" binned and another of bits that should really be in the garage. As there is just me here there's no excuse for them to get as jumbled again.

cyprusmoira wrote:
liketocook wrote:You may remember that I replaced my old Kenwood Chef with a Kitchen Aid a couple of months ag
How are you managing with the Kitchen Aid? Is it as good as your old Kenwood?

Tbh I've not used it that much yet but been happy with it so far. My Kenwood was failing so probably not a fair comparison to make, it would be intersting to see how the Kitchen Aid fares against the restored machine over time.

Glad your lunch a GF cakes were a success EM. :tu:

Goodness I hope all Wildies in "Brendan's" path are safe and warm. It's really wild here with some roads closed due to tree falls and I know we aren't getting the worst of it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 14th, 2020, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, luckily no storm here but there is a great row in progress about the amount of rubbish left by Cypriots who visited the mountains to see the snow last weekend. They were so busy that the police closed the roads to Troodos Square twice.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2020, 6:22 am

I hope all Wildies in Brendan’s path have had their hatches well battened and no damage has been done.

Again I’ve had a reasonable night until about 5am when I woke coughing. This is starting to get boring.

It doesn’t sound too windy out there at the moment ... maybe it’ll blow itself out before it gets here ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2020, 7:51 am

I think Brendan may be gearing up for round 2. (Which makes me think of Brendan in SCD). :o

It's very mild out - I walked the dog and had to unravel my scarf.

A very lazy day is beckoning. 3 years on from retirement and I'm learning that it is OK to do bugger all sometimes! :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 14th, 2020, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. We were hit with heavy rain and high winds yesterday from 3pm, we had to put the garden furniture in the garage so it didn't blow away :o we have another wave coming in today too. Today I have ironing to do, exiting hey. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2020, 8:13 am

ironing would make me want to exit, too!
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2020, 9:36 am

Morning all! :wave:. It sounded wet and wild outside last night but is dry and calmish at the moment. The forecast says not for long though :rolleyes:.

I have decided that SCD is Strictly Come Dancing. I don't watch it because I hate all the bits when they're not dancing. I think Brendan is an Irish name. One of the babies in the ward when DD was born was named Brendan, I think he is the only one I have ever met. Like DD, he'd be getting long in the tooth now :lol:.

Having a bumming about morning. The house is still clean and tidy after yesterday's visitors. Just need to pop round the corner to the chemist later before meeting GD from school. I hope her ma has looked at the weather forecast and remembered that we don't go home in a car and need sensible coats and shoes :rolleyes:.

Did anyone read about Gwyneth Paltrow's latest scented candle? I sometimes wish I was cleverer at marketing. :shock: ('nuff said!)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 14th, 2020, 10:10 am

Back from the big supermarket, there is a new branch in a refurbished building, turning right into the complex was always a bit dicey, now it is very problematical consequently when I left there was one policewoman, a traffic warden,assorted men in HI Vis jackets and much blowing of whistles . I shall be interested to see what happens there.

Kyriacos and electrician have been. The combi oven and heating unit on the other wall now function. Much muttering in Greek which translates as "who wired up this electrical socket?" Now I can be warm in the kitchen

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2020, 10:37 am

Good morning everyone,
Yes I read the article about the candle - words failed me but it did leave me with a horrible vision of her "followers" in contorted positions frantically sniffing :lol: :lol:
Brendan has passed though it's still pretty breezy out and absolutely perishing. No damage as far as I can see but the trains are off due to overhead lines coming down and some roads are closed due to trees coming down. It's to get very windy again later but not as fiercely.
"Send" was finally pressed on my nephew's UCAS application yesterday, we had to wait until his reference was logged on their system to finalise it. He has his RADA audition in a couple of weeks and the Scottish Conservatoire have sent him a huge email covering what he needs to prep for their audition. While I'm very happy to have been able to help him I'm glad that the application stage is all done and dusted :D .
My new laptop arrived late afternoon so today's challenge will be to get it up and running and set up the way I want it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2020, 1:18 pm

Hope it all works first time ltc! Good luck. At our meeting yesterday we looked at an ageing laptop which belongs to the group but I don't think people realised still lives in my study. We managed to switch it on but it looked as though the battery needed charging. The green light finally came on during the evening and I had a look. Last files saved were dated 2010. It has Windows XP. Everything seemed very slow and dated. I think we'll be donating it to an overseas charity. We find nowadays that even our newer projector is often incompatible with new laptops. Quite shocking really when you think of all the obsolete stuff which has accumulated in only 20-30 years.

ltc - it was the “mix of “geranium, citrusy bergamot, and cedar absolutes juxtaposed with damask rose and ambrette seed” which made me smile. :? :rolleyes:.

I've decided not to walk to the chemist. The weather is foul and the walk to and from school will be plenty.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2020, 2:24 pm

earthmaiden wrote:
ltc - it was the “mix of “geranium, citrusy bergamot, and cedar absolutes juxtaposed with damask rose and ambrette seed” which made me smile. :? :rolleyes:.

Yes that creased me up... I wonder who got the sniffing job - "Emperors New Clothes" springs to mind :lol: :lol:

New laptop is sort of up and running - well it's working but I'm still on my old one for ease until I get things properly set up. I'll probably flit between them both until I have things how like on the new one. So far all I seem to have done is uninstall the "junk" (to me) programmes on it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 14th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Turn away gentlemen

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... agina-goop

The thing I find most mystifying is not why she would market such a thing, but who the heck buys it? It’s sold out!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2020, 4:46 pm

I have heard that in Japan it is possible to buy used (unwashed) ladies’ knickers from vending machines, and that these are purchased by ‘gentlemen’ to aid them in certain personal activities. :oops: Perhaps Gwenny has found another such market?
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 14th, 2020, 5:16 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Turn away gentlemen

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... agina-goop

Hadley on top form :tu:
Dr Jen Gunter (popular US gynaecologist) is really annoyed with Gwyneth it seems, can't say I blame her
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 14th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Good Grief!!! :shock: I'd missed this one. I might try a variation: 'This candle smells like my bottom.' Do you think it would catch on? I could try an armpit version later. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 14th, 2020, 6:35 pm

suffolk wrote:I have heard that in Japan it is possible to buy used (unwashed) ladies’ knickers from vending machines, and that these are purchased by ‘gentlemen’ to aid them in certain personal activities. :oops: Perhaps Gwenny has found another such market?

We are off to Japan in April, to hopefully see the cherry blossoms. I’m quite anxious about some parts of the trip, primarily the public toilet situation and the general ‘otherness ’ of Japan . I think that this info has done nothing to ease my worries :lol:

DS wrote his dissertation on Hokusai and is hoping to draw his 36 views if Mount Fuji. I’m sure we will muddle along but will give certain vending machines a wide berth!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Seatallan wrote:Good Grief!!! :shock: I'd missed this one. I might try a variation: 'This candle smells like my bottom.' Do you think it would catch on? I could try an armpit version later. :D

Try it Sea! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2020, 7:13 pm

BB perhaps you could take advantage ... subsidise your holiday with some sales and avoid the mountain of post-holiday laundry. ;)
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop