Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Postby Busybee » January 14th, 2020, 7:14 pm

suffolk wrote:BB perhaps you could take advantage ... subsidise your holiday with some sales and avoid the mountain of post-holiday laundry. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 14th, 2020, 8:15 pm

Maybe you should look at Kavey’s blog BB? She and her husband are fully fledged Japan addicts, and it could be worth asking her (via Facebook perhaps) about any specific issues.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 14th, 2020, 8:17 pm

This is old news!!

When I was at uni in Yorkshire back in the 60's there was a man on one of the estates who exchanged clean ladies underwear for used. He was able to sell the secondhand underwear for more than the cost of the clean replacements!! :o :o He was interviewed by the police, and there was a brief mention in the local paper, but they found that no offences had been committed...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2020, 8:25 pm

aero280 wrote:This is old news!!

When I was at uni in Yorkshire back in the 60's there was a man on one of the estates who exchanged clean ladies underwear for used. He was able to sell the secondhand underwear for more than the cost of the clean replacements!! :o :o He was interviewed by the police, and there was a brief mention in the local paper, but they found that no offences had been committed...

Even allowing for inflation I doubt he charged £58 quid though :lol: .
When I lived in London I didn't have a washing machine and used the local laundrette. Standard practice if it was busy was to "book" the machine by leaving your bag on top of it then tootling off to the cafe next door for a cuppa as there wasn't a large waiting space. One day there was a notice on the door - "Ladies please do not leave your dirty washing unattended there's a knicker thief about -please see attendant for a ticket".... This was the 1980s and I suspect any thief thinking their findings smelled anything like Gwyneth's may have been very disappointed ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2020, 8:33 pm

I once had a boyfriend who asked me to send him my used knickers. Does that count? I didn’t because I couldn’t afford the postage . . . .
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Personally, I think that the trades description people could have a field day because I feel sure it could be proved that the floral tones described did not match those eminating naturally from any human orifice. It would be a fascinating job for the trades description officer to undertake anyway.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 14th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 15th, 2020, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, there are some extraordinary discussions on Wildfood :!:
Who are these women who take Gwyneth seriously?

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 15th, 2020, 7:03 am

Good morning wild ones. No time to read back at the moment, I have to be off to the surgery for my very early appointment for my script review :rolleyes: be back later, play nicely :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2020, 8:18 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Wet here but the wind seems to have dropped ... for now at least.
I slept much better and although I’m still coughing, it does seem better than it was. What I hate is hearing my own squeaky breath in the quiet of the night. :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2020, 8:24 am

Morning all! :wave:. Probably time to move on .. :lol:.

A dull day and I've nothing pressing to do so will enjoy pootling about. I must have a decent walk so will incorporate my walk to the chemist. GD and I braved horrible weather on the way home from school yesterday. They had the Chinese New Year visit to the local Chinese restaurant on Monday. They dined on noodles, learned about their birth year animal and came home with a small goody bag which included chopsticks and an advertisement for the restaurant. Fair play to them, a whole restaurant full of 4 year olds can't have been easy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby jrc » January 15th, 2020, 9:21 am

Morning all :hug:

It has been a busy week and not letting up. I had to see clients on Monday. Yesterday our whirlpool washing machine was replaced. It was only three years old and on the dodgy list. They arrived, took the old one out and plumbed the new one in and were gone in less than ten minutes. :scared:

Bob is just getting rid of his lurgy and we are relatively sure I am going down with it. :rolleyes:

I just have to see one client today (not high risk, health wise) and so far no more engagements for the rest of the week. :D

I should be able to w### from home.

Monday and Tuesday we had roast chicken and all the trimmings. Today it is looking like liver and bacon with mash and veg. The weather is foul. Dreadful wind and rain all night and not much better this morning. :rolleyes:

Moo wanted to go out twice in the night. :evil:

Hope everyone is ok. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 15th, 2020, 10:53 am

Good morning everyone,
It's dry but very cold and windy here this morning.
I slept later than usual so I'm not long finished my breakfast - a few years ago I'd already have been at work for a few hours and beginning to think about lunch... :lol:
I don't have much planned for today apart from continuing to tinker about with my new laptop.
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » January 15th, 2020, 11:25 am

My client has just cancelled. Only a brief shopping trip to get fresh veg and cold / flu remedies plus scoot moo around the block staying home in the warm. :D

As moo is now nine and there is a suspicion of the onset of arthritis the vet said just a very brief walk particularly in this weather. Trouble is, even though she ha every toy under the sun including chew longs etc which we rotate she still gets bored. We went to Pets at Home at Christmas and bought her one of the most robust toys they had ( under their advice). It lasted 20 minutes. :rolleyes:

She has stag bars which we put peanut butter in but don’t want her to get too chunky. The peanut butter we get is from Aldi. It is the only one we have found that is pure 100% peanuts and absolutely nothing else but with limited exercise we don’t want her getting too heavy. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby scullion » January 15th, 2020, 1:39 pm

we bought one of those biometric type scales from aldi last weekend.
the weight is easy enough but the rest of the data cycles through twice, rather quickly, after giving your weight. it's a bit annoying but i've worked my way round that. i wait for the data change , pick up my primed phone, bend down and take photos of the different bits as they cycle through.
maybe as we get used to the order it will become easier. (although i may still photo it).
it stores the data but I'm probably not going to bother with that as i have made a spreadsheet and graph to input the data.
this is only the second time i've made a spreadsheet (once in excel and now i've done it with a mac, in the numbers program rather than in office for mac) - it was a doddle. i wonder why i've never done it before (may not have had a reason, to be honest - when i have done, i've always used graph paper).
i may put a column for the state of my depression - i have two date's worth in and today's weight etc is higher than sunday's! but maybe that's because i weighed on a different floor - i hope - i prefer the weight i was in the kitchen to today's in the bathroom.
and yes, i think i do need to lose a bit - the figures don't lie.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 16th, 2020, 6:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, quiet here again yesterday evening. We are waiting for rain which will come in from the west and Sahara dust, that comes in a high level plume from the south. It makes for very dirty rain something that is never mentioned in guide books :o

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 16th, 2020, 7:12 am

Morning all! :wave:. A bit early for me, I haven't looked at the weather yet. Dirty rain doesn't sound ideal, seem to remember you have to clean everything afterwards :(.

I think that computer spreadsheets are great. The only thing I have found is that if you make one for something like weight, it is a nuisance to have to find it on a device rather than just filling in something on the kitchen wall. Probably just shows how lazy I am 8-).

Starting a weekly 6 week course today all about art using inspiration and materials which would have been available in ancient times. It will involve mixing pigments etc. Really looking forward to it. A friend is going too so we'll make an early start to travel and have coffee somewhere we get there.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2020, 7:57 am

We have a beautiful pink sky this morning.
I went to bed really early and slept soundly until a little while ago. I’m coughing now but didn’t during the night, and my chest didn’t squeak either :D
EM enjoy your day ... working with natural earth pigments is great .., as part of my degree I learned to make my own oil paints using them.
However Moira doesn’t need earth pigments raining down on her :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 16th, 2020, 8:17 am

Good morning wild ones. We have frost this morning, the car is frozen. Yesterday I checked into the surgery at 7.30am my appointment with the nurse was 7.45am I sat in the waiting room all by myself, nobody went in and nobody came out, but she made me wait until 7.45, how the NHS are overworked is beyond me, working to rule is more like it. When my neighbour went to casualty she had to wait 6 hours to be seen by a nurse before the doctor, whilst she watched several nurses stood talking and laughing with the girls on reception. Having said that, once she was eventually seen they did sort her out :tu:
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 16th, 2020, 8:33 am

Hmmm ... not all of a Practice Nurse’s work is done face to face with patients. Time has to be spent preparing equipment, reading emailed information that they have to be aware of before starting work and checking patients’ notes, all before they open the door and call their first patient in. I sincerely doubt she was lounging around filing her nails ... that 15 mins was obviously built into her timetable to give time to get those jobs done at the start of the day. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 16th, 2020, 10:11 am

One of my friends, A, who lives here part time has a spread sheet keeping track of her knitting wool both in Cyprus and the UK, she is a knitting wool addict :rolleyes:
A is part of our craft group, we always have refreshments, yesterday it was little pumpkin pies. They are not related to the N American variety, these are little pasties about the size of one of the larger Chinese dumplings. Fillings vary but these contained bulghar wheat, chopped pumpkin, sultanas and a little chopped onion, sometimes cinnamon is added or chopped herbs, you never know until you eat one. Personally I wish that they would use different pastry, these were made using "Village Flour", it has a high gluten content so the pastry is a bit tough.

More rain, as I passed there was a digger on the riverside by the Episcopi/Erimi bridge, probably trying to open a channel under one of the blocked arches.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 16th, 2020, 10:36 am

Good morning everyone,
More rain and very windy weather due here today it's already getting quite gusty again. Thankfully this seems to be the last of it (for now) and we are forecast a more settled spell.
I heard last night that a woman I had worked beside for years died yesterday, she hadn't told anyone she was poorly and died alone in the hospice having told friends and neighbours she was going on holiday something she often did over the winter. Apparently she had gone to the Drs just before Christmas with backache which was actually very advanced ovarian cancer. I think it's very sad she opted to die alone but it must have been what she wanted. She was only 67.
"Mince & tatties" for dinner, I've not made this for a while and it's certainly the weather for it :hungry: .
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I once had a boyfriend who asked me to send him my used knickers. Does that count? I didn’t because I couldn’t afford the postage . . . .

Me too ... but I did ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 16th, 2020, 10:55 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby jrc » January 16th, 2020, 10:57 am

Morning all :hug:

Bob has been so generous. He has given me his flu type chest infection. :rolleyes: :twisted:

I had almost no sleep last night. Bob went to bed at 9 pm. I went at 10 pm to watch tv in bed for an hour. At 11pm the phone rang and there was a problem with one of the tenants which took an hour to sort. At midnight I was settling nicely. At 1 am the dog wanted to spend a penny. :rolleyes: At 2 06 Bob got up to spend a penny, as did the dog wanting a wee at 3 am. :twisted:

I lay there too wound up to sleep until I heard Bob moving about to start getting ready for work at 5 am. He left at 5 50 for work and I stayed awake until about 6 15 and went out like a light. I had to be up by 7 15 for w### but am fortunate enough to be able to be able to w### from home.

I have a very heavy w### load today but that may have to be passed on to tomorrow. Can’t see me achieving much today. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 16th, 2020, 1:57 pm

liketocook wrote:I heard last night that a woman I had worked beside for years died yesterday, she hadn't told anyone she was poorly and died alone in the hospice having told friends and neighbours she was going on holiday something she often did over the winter. Apparently she had gone to the Drs just before Christmas with backache which was actually very advanced ovarian cancer. I think it's very sad she opted to die alone but it must have been what she wanted. She was only 67.

That's very sad LTC. Horrid disease- killed my sister (at 62) and one of my two best friends (at 54). I do quite a bit of fund-raising for one of the ovarian cancer charities (Target Ovarian Cancer) including the half-marathon I ran last March before we moved. Planning a few other things in the future too. Unfortunately, not only is it one of the more aggressive of the 'gyne' cancers, symptoms tend to be vague or non-existent until it is already advanced. So far, no one has been able to come up with an effective screening programme either. Ladies, if you're experiencing any of the common initial symptoms (constant bloating, feeling full after only a small amount of food, changes to bladder or bowel habits, unexplained weight gain or loss) don't assume it's IBS or normal menopausal stuff please do hot-foot it to the surgery and ask to be tested because it really does need to be caught early.... Sorry to go on but its one thing I get a bit evangelical about...
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 16th, 2020, 2:04 pm

My niece was lucky. She got pregnant and they found the ovarian cancer during her first scan. She delayed the cancer op until the baby was born, abeit induced at the earliest acceptable stage. Mum is in remission, baby daughter is lovely and nearly two! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 16th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Sad news ltc :hug: :hug:, and sorry to read of your disturbed night jrc.

Our art morning was great fun. We sketched stones and fossils and things, first in pencil and then pastels. The first time I've done sketching in over 40 years. I thought my pastel looked a bit primitive but now I've brought it home and looked at it again I rather like it - it has certain artistic licence 8-).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2020, 6:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, E M your art morning sounds great.
Another grey morning here.

moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 17th, 2020, 7:20 am

I’ve just had nine hours unbroken sleep :shock:
I was expecting to wake around 3 when a taxi arrived to take next door to Heathrow as they’re off to Australia for their daughter’s wedding ... but I didn’t hear a thing 8-)
It’s still dark out there so I’ve no idea what sort of day it is ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 17th, 2020, 8:17 am

Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: the beasts are hogging the radiator, no way are they going outside :lol:
right foodies, question ! If I make some smoked mackerel pate : mackerel, low fat cream cheese and a splash of lemon juice all mashed together until smooth, can I freeze it. Normally it makes quite a large batch so I want to keep half for another day. We usually have to eat it over two days.
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 17th, 2020, 8:19 am

Morning all! :wave:. It's getting nice and light outside so hopefully it won't rain. I've got a hair appointment so it probably will. We had a real deluge yesterday, the rivers can't take any more :(. I've just looked at the forecast and it says showers today them down to -1 overnight. I was only thinking last night that we hadn't had winter weather yet :rolleyes:.

I could easily go back to bed.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 17th, 2020, 9:19 am

icelesley wrote:Good morning wild ones. It's raining :rolleyes: the beasts are hogging the radiator, no way are they going outside :lol:
right foodies, question ! If I make some smoked mackerel pate : mackerel, low fat cream cheese and a splash of lemon juice all mashed together until smooth, can I freeze it. Normally it makes quite a large batch so I want to keep half for another day. We usually have to eat it over two days.

I successfully froze a similar paté made with ready-to-eat hot smoked salmon, although it was full-fat cream cheese. I worried it might split on thawing but I think the lemon juice might act as a stabiliser. It was only frozen for about a week - I was really just trying to see if it would work. So I can't vouch for long-term freezing, or low-fat cheese.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby liketocook » January 17th, 2020, 10:27 am

Good morning everyone,
Yes ovarian cancer is a horrible one because it remains hidden for so long. My friend died of it 20+ ago just before she was thirty and despite many advances in treatment it still is one of the more deadly ones if not caught early. Good to hear your niece is doing well aero :D .
I'd be worried about the pate slitting icey with the low fat cheese, I've only frozen made with full fat stuff and it's been fine though slightly "wetter" in consistency after defrosting. There's only one way to find out I suppose. ;)
Dry and breezy here so far, though more rain is due later before it clears for a frost this evening, the horrible gusts seemed to have died back though which I'm pleased about. :)
I made a large pan of mash yesterday so will use some more tonight to have with smoked haddock. I'm swithering whether to just poach the fish in milk and butter or make a cheese sauce & leek sauce. I'll see what I fancy later.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2020, 11:03 am

liketocook wrote: so will use some more tonight to have with smoked haddock. I'm swithering whether to just poach the fish in milk and butter or make a cheese sauce & leek sauce.
I would just like some smoked haddock, please. Unfortunately it is not the sort of food stuff that you can ask your visitors to bring out with them.
Souvla is no substitute.
I love the word swithering.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 17th, 2020, 12:40 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
liketocook wrote: so will use some more tonight to have with smoked haddock. I'm swithering whether to just poach the fish in milk and butter or make a cheese sauce & leek sauce.
I would just like some smoked haddock, please. Unfortunately it is not the sort of food stuff that you can ask your visitors to bring out with them.
Souvla is no substitute.
I love the word swithering.

moira

When we lived in Abu Dhabi, a good friend who worked a month on and a month at home, used to bring us smoked haddock and kippers from Scotland, in a cool bag with ice blocks. Then when he was going home again, I got curries for him from his favourite restaurant, and packed them up in the cool bag with ice blocks. Don’t suppose it was legal, but it worked.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Smoked haddock with cheese and leek sauce with mashed potato could easily be one of my choices to take to a desert island! :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 17th, 2020, 1:53 pm

patpoyntz wrote:When we lived in Abu Dhabi, a good friend who worked a month on and a month at home, used to bring us smoked haddock and kippers from Scotland, in a cool bag with ice blocks. Then when he was going home again, I got curries for him from his favourite restaurant, and packed them up in the cool bag with ice blocks. Don’t suppose it was legal, but it worked.

Hmm.... we have an impending visit from my niece, a few enquiries need to be made. The real problem is will it pass security checks?

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 17th, 2020, 3:06 pm

It’s probably the ice packs that are most concerning now rather than the foodstuff. I saw someone have their Nutella removed from their hand luggage, it was classed as a paste and the jar was too big, they were aircrew and security explained that a smaller jar would be fine just not the jumbo one they were trying to take through.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 17th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Maybe your visitors could get the fish vacpacked?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 17th, 2020, 9:15 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Maybe your visitors could get the fish vacpacked?

Vac packed and then frozen and it should travel ok and pass checks - worth a try anyway.
I settled for having in mine poached with diced leeks in milk, butter and lots of black pepper. I had it with mash, spinach and topped with a poached egg. It was very :drool: :drool:
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 18th, 2020, 7:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, thank you for all the suggestions about the transporting of smoked haddock, I shall pursue them

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2020, 8:03 am

Hurrah! Much less coughing this morning ... I’m on the mend ... I feel much more like me :wave:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » January 18th, 2020, 8:07 am

Hooray, at last.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 18th, 2020, 8:18 am

Good morning wild ones. Thanks for the pate advice, I will try it, the remains will go into the freezer only for a week, I will let you know the outcome :tu: we have frost this morning, not as bad as the weather predicted yesterday though, I expected everywhere to be frozen solid, but it's not, just the rooftops and greenhouse. The beasts are still clinging to the radiator refusing to go out, that is until they hear the rattle of the leads :lol:
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 18th, 2020, 10:20 am

Good morning,
Glad you are finally feeling better suffs :hi5:
There was a fairly heavy frost when I turned in last night so didn't expect to be woken this morning to hail and sleet battering off the bedroom window, It's dried up now but another day of mixed weather forecast for us today before clearing for frost again this evening. As it's dry just now I'm giving the house a good airing as there was a decided whiff of smoked fish lurking this morning.
Today I want to start to get my voluntary work files set up on the new laptop, it's good chance to see what can be archived or deleted and what needs to be kept. I suspect it will take me longer than I think once I get into it.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 18th, 2020, 10:27 am

Morning all! :wave:. Frosty and sunny here, as forecast. I know they say that a bit of frost will kill the bugs but it seems to have worked rather fast for you Suffs! Let's hope that all the Wildie bugs will go away now (and we don't want sleet or hail either!).

Slept in late this morning, nothing vital to do today. Must have a walk, my step count has not quite reached daily targets this week.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 18th, 2020, 10:36 am

Thanks folks :D ... OH has tomorrow off so we're thinking of a trip to Cromer pier for fish & chips and some chilly sea air to blow the remnants of the lurgy away ... we'll see how I am in the morning.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 18th, 2020, 11:25 am

The Christmas cards from my Bro and SIL have finally arrived, they were posted on 6th December, I bet that they have been sitting in a warehouse in Nicosia. My SIL always sends them in one package, checking the postage stamp I reckon that the three cards could have been sent individually for a slightly greater cost but would have arrived here before Christmas. A similar package to the UK arrived in six days.

We are debating going over to Pissouri tomorrow for a Curry Buffet lunch, we must book today.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 18th, 2020, 11:33 am

suffolk wrote:Good morning all :D :mug:
Hurrah! Much less coughing this morning ... I’m on the mend ... I feel much more like me :wave:

About time! I hope this really is the end of it Suffs. I expect it'll still take a while before you're properly in the groove again but I'm very glad you had a better night and that you're not coughing so much. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop