Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Postby aero280 » February 9th, 2020, 11:12 pm

We had a squall earlier. The dip in the road at the bottom of the hill flooded as usual. I will have a walk around the house tomorrow and see if anything is missing! :o Otherwise it all seems OK.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Still pretty blustery here ... wind howling in the chimney ... stay safe everyone ... sleep tight :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 9th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Eucalyptus in gardens here are often pollarded every 2 or 3 years both to keep them in shape, and prevent wind damage, and also to keep them producing the more attractive juvenile foliage

Weather has been rubbish today thanks to storm Ciara but it was glorious on Thursday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 10th, 2020, 6:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the weather is calm here except for an overnight frost. I must admit that I get cross with people such as the person who decided to go surfing in the waves produced by the storm, thus needing a two hour search in appalling weather.
Deb's Monday group is meeting here this morning so I shall disappear for the morning starting at the car wash.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 10th, 2020, 7:08 am

Still very windy here this morning, absence of trains is evident. Goodness knows what this will mean for commuters.

According to the forecast the storm should have blown through by last night but I’d say the wind is about the same as yesterday, but no rain so far. Lots of local flooding, not least our lane but DS went off to work about fifteen minutes ago so I’m assuming it’s passable.

I have a consultant appointment this afternoon for the results of the urgent MRI last week, hopefully I’ll know what I’m doing long term after today.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 7:45 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Still pretty blustery here, but dry with a clear blue sky.
I must pop down to Wrose in a bit and get some bread flour
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 10th, 2020, 8:23 am

Good morning wild ones. The rain and wind has finally gone, but the TV weather has just said storm Dennis is on the way this week and we might have snow :shock: It's bound to be on Friday when I am leaving the hairdressers :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 8:53 am

Bb fingers crossed :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 9:22 am

Good luck Debbie. X
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 9:39 am

Morning all! :wave:. Very different out there today and some lovely sunshine but it looks as though there will be a bit more wind for a while later. DS is lorry driving and I was relieved he wasn't out yesterday. Moira, people are so silly aren't they.

Doc appointment this morning, I have developed 'trigger thumb' on my right one, I had surgery on the left once few years ago and really hope I can have it again because there are so many things I am finding it hard to do.

BB - :hug: :hug:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 10th, 2020, 10:01 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad your son arrived safely scully :hug:
Still wild here and there is quite a lot of snow round about. None here as yet but it's bitterly cold.
Between wind, hail and a very unsettled cat I've had a very disturbed night. Said puss has the cheek to now be snoozing peacefully, I'm resisting the temptation to yowl in is ear to see how much he likes being woken up that way :lol: :lol: . Just as well that overall he is a sweet, very affectionate wee thing.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 10th, 2020, 10:44 am

Back from my trip to Paphos via the carwash. You don't have to have coffee and a bacon roll whilst waiting for your car but it helps ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 11:08 am

Oh dear! Next door has suffered ... the gable end facing the road has lost several strips of cladding ... well, not lost exactly, as they're still attached at one end, so some 20ft lengths of PVC strips are waving around in the breeze ... I'm worried about their windows if they stay attached and my car if they break loose and blow around. The house is empty since the elderly gent died and his daughters are getting around to selling it .... I've left messages on their answerphones but one is in Scotland and they're both probably at work ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Hello
The wind was pretty amazing at points yesterday, but I made it home by train from Wandsworth without any difficulty, I eschewed buses on the grounds nobody would know what’re they were in areas of chaos and I wouldn’t have wanted to hang around at an exposed bus stop
No obvious damage and we’ve had some sun, but there’s still a bit of wind about.

Good luck BB, everything crossed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Oh dear Suffs, that sounds a bit worrying :?.

When I arrived in the consulting room, my thumb was better than it had been for weeks and I think the doc thought I was making it up but gave me a chit to get an x ray. It reverted back as soon as I left. Why does this sort of thing always happen? My other job for today was to go to the car wash (first time since I had car in August) which I've done and then sort tyre pressures out. I had a new tyre last week and am now getting an alarm saying there is a problem with pressure. I went to an air station to try and rectify it but the correct pressures on the sticker in the car are in psi and the machine would only show the other sort and bounced back every time I pressed the button to change it. I have just pulled up at a different place and it is raining cats and dogs. The forecast says it will go on until 5pm when we can expect snow. There's no way I'm going to muck about with tyres in this.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 12:42 pm

we have just had a long hammering of hail - and now the sun is out.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 12:44 pm

There was a London-based couple sounding off in our local press yesterday ... they visited Norwich on Saturday for a party and were unable to get back yesterday because the trains were cancelled due to fallen trees etc. Apparently why did no one warn them that their particular route was going to be affected .... and if the trains were cancelled why weren’t they running replacement buses?

Do trees not fall across roads ?!?!?! Virtually every road in East Anglia had at least one large fallen tree across it yesterday :rolleyes:

And who wants to drive a bus in the winds we had yesterday??? It wouldn’t be safe. :scared:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 12:49 pm

suffolk wrote:There was a London-based couple sounding off in our local press yesterday ... [...] because the trains were cancelled due to fallen trees etc

our daughter had a tree fall a car in front of hers yesterday on her way home from work.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 10th, 2020, 12:49 pm

My hospital appointment has been cancelled, at least they rang before I set off. MRI results have not been ‘read’ yet despite their chasing. Appointment for a fortnights time.

Hope someone sorts the cladding out Suffs, dangerous if left unsecured. Still not many trains, just the odd one still going very slowly. We still have strong winds and squawley (sp) showers.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 12:57 pm

The more local daughter has arrived next door and somehow has managed to detach the cladding so it's not waving in the wind. Hope she can get someone oretty quicly to cover up the exposed 'innards' of the wall. The other daughter has phoned to thank me for letting them know. :)
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 10th, 2020, 1:22 pm

Good Afternoon wild ones. Oh BB it is so annoying when that happens. At least you hadn't left home. I hope all will be OK. :hug:
We have snow :o lots of heavy snow, but it's not sticking everywhere is too wet. It will be interesting though if it freezes tonight :|
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 10th, 2020, 1:23 pm

earthmaiden wrote:There's no way I'm going to muck about with tyres in this.

I have given up on garage tyre pressure gauges. I now have my own pump/gauge. It's Michelin branded and works off the 12v cigarette lighter in the car. I got mine from Halfords, but they do their own brand ones too.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools ... e-inflator
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Oh BB, not what you wanted to hear :hug:.

What annoying people, Suffs. I hope they didn't expect sympathy. We had teams of people out both in the Borough and County clearing up fallen trees. They were busy.

The tyre thing looks a good idea aero. I haven't got a drive, which makes things like that less appealing but could be useful. I went into Sainsburys and when I came out it wasn't raining so hard so I did it. The machine was new and not only changed from psi to bar easily but beeped when it reached the desired pressure. It was free too. After grappling with the manual I managed to turn the warning alarm off too. Have never had a car with so many gizmos before!

I don't think that any snow we have here will settle.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I had one of those 12v tyre thingummies, worked quite well and they’ve probably improved them. mine was bought in 2012 and unbranded. At less than £20 you probably get that back in tyre wear eventually, we all got them at work as easy to use and there were no reliable forecourt ones in the area

:tu: For Suffolk’s neighbours’ daughter
:td: for the hospital BB but at least you don’t have to face the journey in the tail end of the storm

I’ve given up trying to explain to people why they still have to wait for the results of X-rays etc when they’ve seen for themself there’s a clear image - the idea that they really want an experienced doctor to take their time looking at it carefully doesn’t seem to register.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 10th, 2020, 3:48 pm

No wonder we could not get breakfast at the Four Seasons on Saturday, they are closed until the beginning of April for major refurbishment. The hunt is now on for good breakfast places, We can get the proverbial Full English in a number of places but that is not what we want. I foresee a lot of Googling

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 10th, 2020, 4:38 pm

Well DS made it into work this morning but had to be rescued tonight! He works on a small industrial estate with three roads in and out, by early afternoon all were closed due to flooding. They had to open the emergency gates and drive down a farm track and across some storage areas, the gates were only open for half an hour , I picked him up in the Land Rover. It was snowing heavily on the way back. Occasionally I’m glad that we have such a vehicle living where we do, although it’s not so good at negotiating small parking spaces in town.

Re my consultant appointment, I’m pretty laidback about it - these things happen. I will be seen in two weeks time so not much of an extra wait.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Apparently Norwich is grinding to a halt because of snow ... none has fallen here, so far ... but we did have some loud cracks of thunder and some even louder hail a short while ago ... https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/me ... -1-6507606
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 5:56 pm

ooh, i hope it snows here! - but i doubt it will.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 6:22 pm

No snow here and it's the time it said it would. I don't think it's even raining now.
I would definitely want a Land Rover if I lived near BB! Worth bearing the weather for the times when it is tranquil and beautiful though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 10th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Busybee wrote:I have a consultant appointment this afternoon for the results of the urgent MRI last week, hopefully I’ll know what I’m doing long term after today.

Just seen this ... Bb ... Hope the outcome is good .. :hug: :hug: :hug:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 10th, 2020, 6:28 pm

There’s some white grainy stuff on our lawn :sball:
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2020, 6:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we are just threatened with more rain, I must admit that I am relieved not cope with the white stuff.
Various errands on the list this morning including the hairdressers.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2020, 7:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
No sign of snow now, but a clear sky, a bright full moon and what looks like black ice on some surfaces where the little bit of snow we had yesterday has been blown into corners on roofs and against kerbs. It’s still pretty windy, bare branches are waving and the wind is howling in the chimney.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 8:05 am

Morning all! :wave:.

Looks fine out there, fine day with moderate wind is forecast (but then it says 47% chance of rain which seems very close to 50:50 to me!).

Out with a friend today for shopping and lunch.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. No snow this morning but it was very windy earlier, now we have pink fluffy clouds in a grey sky. Snow is forecast though. :?
icelesley
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 11th, 2020, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. No snow this morning but it was very windy earlier, now we have pink fluffy clouds in a grey sky. Snow is forecast though. :?
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2020, 10:24 am

Lovely niece and boyfriend are planning a holiday in Cornwall after her A levels and his first year uni exams and have asked for ideas/suggestions ... I foresee a long email with lots of links ... but first I’ll prep the veg for tonight’s pot roast chicken.
Still very windy indeed out there ... hold onto your hats folks :shock:
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 11th, 2020, 10:36 am

Good morning everyone,
Still wild here, lots of snow round about but we're clear apart from squalls of "lumpy" rain. My sister's cat has thankfully settled a bit, only one short bout of yowling in the early hours last night. He's made a nest for himself on top of the back of my sofa with a throw from which he is happy to monitor what's happening. :)
Domestic chores beckon this morning and I think I'll make burgers or meatballs for dinner as there's a pack of mince in the fridge needing something done with it before it goes out of date.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2020, 11:39 am

IMG_1564.JPG

The rhubarb is way ahead of normal expectations ... OH will be getting a crumble after the pot roast chicken for his supper
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 11th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Morning (just) Wildies! :wave:

Snow showers here but hasn't settled. Problems with water supply- half the village unable to use their water for drinking or cooking. Thankfully, we're on a different supply so we're OK. Bottled water being supplied for them who aren't. Really feel for the poor lads at United Utilities who have been working around the clock to repair/replace a big section of piping that was overwhelmed by flood water on Sunday.

Hope everyone is wrapped up warm! :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I would love some early rhubarb or in fact any sort of rhubarb.
We have just driven to and from Limassol in heavy rain, got back here and 10 minutes later the sun comes out :rolleyes:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 11th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Gosh that is early Suffs, ours is only a few inches tall. It will be some time before a crumble beckons.

Enjoy, it’s my favourite crumble.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2020, 3:52 pm

I have been for my walk, slightly shorter than usual
Sunny but some of the gusts of wind are really strong, had to turn my back on them occasionally and the parks are closed

Had some nice soup, I bought a packet of soup mix - mixed pules and barley from Holland and Barrett and it really helps make something out of the odd veg hanging around. I added a touch of pesto in the bowl :chops:

have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 5:49 pm

Hope everyone's weather is settling down a bit. Very gusty round here all day despite the sun. Nice of you to think of the lads working hard Seatallen, not many people do but they deserve medals sometimes.

I like soup made from a soup pack but always remove the green peas as IMO they take much longer to cook than the other ingredients.

We had a nice day out and a delicious lunch. I had a wonderful indulgent pudding called a Toffee Apple Sundae and described as poached apple, whipped cream, toffee sauce,with honeycomb and mini toffee apples. A fabulous concoction in a long glass arrived with what looked like a large cherry on top but was the mini toffee-apple and worth ordering alone (who knew that toffee apples served with whipped cream really work? :chops:). I had asked for less cream than they usually serve which seemed just right. Then came the apples and then a glorious mixture of apple, honeycomb pieces and thin dulce deleche. A rather too generous helping of the latter ingredients, very sweet but nothing a good strong coffee couldn't rectify. My friend had chosen a very nice-looking slice of cheesecake with a blackberry compote which looked lovely but I think she was slightly envious! No more sugar for a week .. :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

That sounds just :drool: EM

The wind is still very strong here ...

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/taverham-v ... -1-6508741
Last edited by suffolk on February 11th, 2020, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2020, 5:57 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I like soup made from a soup pack but always remove the green peas as IMO they take much longer to cook than the other ingredients.

H&B recommend soaking their mix, then cooking it for a while before adding other veg. Treated like that, everything seems to end up done at the same time, Ii have had some other brands that were less successful

That toffee apple thing sounds very good earthmaiden, I could eat that!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Oh Suffs! Poor little thing! :cry:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2020, 6:36 pm

EM I think she’s ‘fallen on her feet’ and can look forward to a life of piggy bliss ... the vets say they’ve found a loving home for her when she’s ready to leave them.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2020, 6:33 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I have been making a lot of soup recently, it will be Chicken & Leek Chowder for supper. Most of the soups are vegetable with the addition of local bean mixtures, I also use a variety dried cheese tortellini..

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 12th, 2020, 8:15 am

Good morning wild ones. Today we should have a quiet day weather wise before storm Dennis comes in :rolleyes: today Kai has to go to the vet's for his annual jabs and check up, he hates going but needs must. Tomorrow I will have to go shopping, we need bread and veggies. Friday is hairdressers to banish the grey roots and Saturday OH has to go to the hospital for an ECG. So that's the rest of the week signed off :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop