[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXVIII Ygraine

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2020, 8:30 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Another bright and sunny morning.
I’ve slept in ... again ... :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 12th, 2020, 8:48 am

Morning all! :wave:. I love a good chowder :chops:. Hope your OH is ok Icey :hug:.

There's a light frost and sunshine this morning. Did you all see the beautiful moon last night? Not sure how the day will pan out, GD has been in hospital with a chest infection for the past couple of days, she is doing fine and I think will go home today but I have been bracing myself to help out if required. This morning I am going to have my thumb x-rayed and will then pop in to see how things are.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 12th, 2020, 8:55 am

EM I hope your granddaughter is soon back home and her usual self.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2020, 9:58 am

Get well soon EM’s GD :tu:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2020, 10:07 am

suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 12th, 2020, 10:11 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 12th, 2020, 10:18 am

For Seatallan. Re a "conversation" we had a couple of years ago - I see the permission has been granted to build a base to launch small satellites at Melness - just behind the Craggan Hotel. I can imagine one or two people will not be best pleased - particularly the millionaires who had bought a bit of quiet isolation.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 12th, 2020, 10:22 am

I’d never really considered what happens to all these money back returned mattresses. I think we are on our third mattresss in 22 years so we do keep ours eight plus years, we do turn them regularly though. Always buy from a shop or department store where we have laid on it for some time Although I always feel really self conscious.

I’d never really considered how they are recycled.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 12th, 2020, 10:38 am

Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 12th, 2020, 11:04 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2020, 11:14 am

Good morning
It’s sunny!

Tonight is cookbook club, we are hosting Catherine Phipps who has written books on pressure cooking, and gives classes on it, but tonight we are focussing on her new book, Leaf, which does what it says on the cover. I am cooking from Anissa Helou’s Lebanese Food, as she pairs two Swiss chard recipes. You make a salad with the cooked stalks dressed with a tahini dressing and the leaves make the filling for little pastries. The pastries look slightly tricky so I have a back up pack of filo to make a pie if I decide it’s too much faff or just beyond me.
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 12th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Good Afternoon Wild Ones. The sun is out and it is a lovely day. OH has taken Kai to the vets for his booster jabs and Frankie is stuck to my side in case I leave her too. :hug: For lunch today we are having the defrosted smoked mackerel pate I made and froze on 21st January. You may remember I wasn't sure if it would freeze well as I had used low fat cream cheese, but I can advise all is well, it has defrosted and is still like it was when first made.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2020, 1:32 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 12th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I hope your GD continues to improve EM :hug:
The wind is finally easing and we seemed to have escaped the snow. I'm hoping the roads are clear for my son driving up tonight from Newcastle. My sis has gone to visit my nephew, her cat is snoozing and I'm enjoying some peace and quiet after a rather messy morning involving a hoover bag that split while as I was changing it and the bottom falling out of the bag my sister was emptying the cat litter tray into. :sprout:
Roast chicken dinner tonight but I'm putting my feet up for a couple of hours before I think about any prep ;) .

tonight but I'm putting my feet up with my book for a couple
liketocook
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 12th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2020, 3:19 pm

We are sitting on low cloud, there was watery sunshine down in Pissouri, the cloud got thicker as I drove up hill, of course it got colder

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 12th, 2020, 8:50 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2020, 10:41 pm

I seem to have skipped reading a lot of posts earlier somehow
Hope your GD is home soon as her oxygen levels go up earthmaiden

Had a very nice supper club, was shocked to find it raining when I came out, had mossed that bit of the forecast

Bed soon, good night all
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2020, 6:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we had sun when I woke up but the cloud has come down in the last quarter of an hour. I cannot see across the valley,
Nothing important on the to do list this morning.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2020, 6:31 am

Heavy rain here in Norfolk this morning.
Nothing important to do today other than making supper ... Cock-a-leekie ... so I’ll be getting on with writing and knitting ... nice to have a lazy day today as I have an outing tomorrow. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2020, 7:04 am

Morning all! :wave:. No idea what the weather's doing, I'm doing the night watch at the hospital so that everyone else gets a proper sleep. I don't mind nightshifts :). It was raining at midnight, took me by surprise too.

It appears that the days when all the lights were flung on at 6am and thermometers jammed in mouths are gone. It's 7am and everyone's still asleep, they've done temperatures with electronic thermometers which go in the ear and no-one even woke up! The calm before the storm.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 13th, 2020, 8:13 am

Good morning wild ones. EM I hope GD is ok :hug: :hug:
Can't tell what the weather has for us yet, no doubt it will rain or snow when I step through the door to go shopping :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2020, 10:19 am

I had an interesting journey down the hill, I was down on the flat bit following a builders truck where the road runs parallel to the river . Suddenly two wooden pallets fell off the truck, luckily there was no one directly behind me and no oncoming traffic so was able to swerve. I then followed the truck across the bridge when a large balloon of plastic sheeting blew off the back of the truck. Swerving was difficult there but managed to avoid hitting anything.
There was no evidence of either wood or plastic when I returned.

The low cloud is coming and going, a few minutes ago I could barely see across the road.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2020, 10:49 am

Goodness Moira, how hazardous :scared:.

The gods are smiling on me today. I had to park in the hospital car park last night (the place I usually park involves a walk along a woodland path which didn't seem a good idea at midnight). When I got to the paying machine there was something wrong with all of them and people were starting to queue and be cross. They let us all out free! It would have been at least £6. :bounce: :bounce:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2020, 10:53 am

Good morning
Sort of overcast at the moment, showers at any time according to the forecast
Tired for some reason, but will amble on until book club tonight, which doubles as my friend’s birthday get together
Cook book club was good and I acquired a signed copy of Catherine Phipps Pressue Cooking book, so I can look at that
Have a

Those lorries sound dangerous Moira, we used to have a problem with load shedding at one time when I was driving into work, but the Met really clamped down on it

Have a good days everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2020, 11:13 am

A while ago Earthmaiden was telling me about the tradition of Jack Valentine that she remembers from when she was growing up in Norfolk. I’d certainly never heard of it until I moved here ... does anyone else know about it?
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/jack-valen ... -1-6512335
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2020, 11:49 am

Yes, we were just talking about that recently weren't we! We didn't come from Norfolk so didn't do it. I used to feel quite envious on Valentine's day when most children had had a small gift left on the doorstep from Jack Valentine. It really was a thing. A relative, who taught children in the Norwich area from the early 80s never came across it. I remain convinced it was a Norfolk coast/Broadland tradition, but do wonder about the origin.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2020, 12:15 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 13th, 2020, 2:27 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2020, 3:25 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2020, 4:28 pm

... they are indeed. I would still like to understand more of the Valentine one, it seems so obscure. Fascinating too that something that was so real to my peers seems to have died out even more now, suggesting that many did not continue the tradition. That seems really strange to me when it was so enjoyed. It's almost like a mini mischief night. I think a lot more religious highdays and holidays used to have similar jinks attached, I wonder if something similar was more widespread pre-puritan. My friends usually had one small toy-like gift, nothing hugely expensive and not sweets.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 13th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Not Valentine's day, but when I was a lad, on April 1st, you were allowed to kick people up the backside after 12 o'clock. I'd forgotten all about that.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 13th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 13th, 2020, 5:13 pm

I made a mention of OH's interview today in the coronavirus thread.

It's actually live now... http://www.radioharrow.org/tuning_in/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2020, 6:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we have some weak sunshine this morning. I hear that more bad weather is on its way in the UK :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 14th, 2020, 8:03 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 14th, 2020, 8:21 am

Good morning wild ones. No Valentine day here, OH didn't remember my birthday so no chance of a valentine card :rolleyes: mind you after 46 years together (44 years married this year) it doesn't seem relevant. :lol: More important, hairdressers today to dye my grey roots :?
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2020, 8:28 am

Heading south today to meet up with friend for lunch ... I’ll use the opportunity to get some meat, cheese and veg for the weekend from the butcher etc that I used when I lived down there :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 14th, 2020, 9:52 am

aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » February 14th, 2020, 10:15 am

Good morning everyone,
AWOL yesterday as chaos ruled for a variety of reasons! I was very glad to get sat down with a glass of red yesterday evening :) .
Back to wet & windy here today though I think we will miss the worst of "Dennis" the forecast looks as though it will be a rough few days.
"Jack Valentine" is a new one on me, it's a shame that so many of the regional traditions for various holidays are dying out. Here the only ones I can think that have persisted is "guising" at Hallowe'en and "first footing" at New Year.
Barring any hitches my nephew is getting discharged today, their flat is still minus floors, kitchen etc. so my sis has booked an Air BnB for a few nights which is literally just round the corner from their flat. They'll still come here for dinner but it means he can get a bit of space & privacy which would hard to achieve with us all squashed into mine! He'll remain an outpatient for the foreseeable future but is hoping to get back to college part time in the next few weeks which is great. His college tutor has been so supportive which is a huge plus and he was well ahead with his course work so shouldn't have too much catching up to do. He's looking forward to some home cooked food so I've mince defrosting to make a huge pasta bake for dinner.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2020, 11:05 am

Back from Pissouri, would you believe it that there are two Mah Jong groups in Pissouri, they do not play together, it is caused by the minutiae of the rules, we place our discarded tiles in the centre of the table haphazardly, they place them in lines. We were at our usual venue when members of the "other" group came in, they usually play cards at a social club but that club is closed at present. The silliness of it all proves that some people do not have enough to do.
We are all complaining of the lack of sun, usually the sun and rain alternate, this year is just dreary

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 14th, 2020, 11:16 am

Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 14th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Hello all! :wave:. Happy Balentine's Fay (well, that's what my autocorrect came up with, I hope it's nothing rude that I don't know about). Isn't it supposed to be the day that birds start to think about the birds and the bees?

Just home from my 'nightshift' still no sign of GD being discharged. :rolleyes: I'm tired.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 14th, 2020, 12:40 pm

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 14th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Good morning
People who play games like mah jong and backgammon get very hung up on details. Reminds me, I should give my board a little clean, I think some of the chequers are a bit sticky from eating burgers while playing :oops:
Think I’ll tidy my pots a bit before the wind gets up any more
Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 14th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Got back from the (micro) pub a while ago.
Good beer and chat.
A man who we didn't know, but the publican clearly did, had arrived with about 50 HM sausage rolls which he offered round at intervals.
Apparently he does this regularly so as we have lived here since 1986 and the population is 6000 I have no idea why our paths have not crossed before.
The reason for tonight's offering was that he was testing his new oven.

I also learned that his wife is the well-known woman who takes in sewing :tu:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 15th, 2020, 6:39 am

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 15th, 2020, 8:26 am

Good morning wild ones. The rain has started it's quite, heavy now. Dennis is announcing his arrival in the UK :shock: i hope we don't get it too bad, too soon, I have to take OH over to the hospital for an ECG at 1.30 :o
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 15th, 2020, 8:57 am

Free homemade sausage rolls :kneel: :drool:

Grey and damp here in Norfolk ... so far ...

I had a great meet up with dear friend yesterday ... lots of chatting and a good lunch etc ... we decided not to attempt to put the world to rights ... we didn't have the energy and besides, we decided that ignoring all the attention seeking behaviour that's going on throughout the world is probably the best policy at the moment.

While I was in my old area I went to the butcher I always used to use and had a little splurge on a piece of sirloin for tomorrow ... it cost almost an arm and a leg :lol: but I've justified it to myself by planning to cook it nice and rare tomorrow and slice and freeze a lot of it in wonderful gravy so that we can reheat it and have roast beef on several Sundays :chops: I'll make extra roast potatoes tomorrow and freeze them too.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 15th, 2020, 9:43 am

earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop