out of date ready made Hollandaise sauce ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

out of date ready made Hollandaise sauce ....

Postby KC2 » December 22nd, 2019, 12:27 pm

What do you think? I picked up a pouch of ready made Hollandaise sauce on 16th Dec at Waitrose, reduced, as 16th was the use by date. I kind of forgot about it and didn't even pop it in the freezer. Do you think it will still be ok?

It has water, butter, single cream, milk, cornflour, concentrated lemon juice, free range egg yolk powder, salt, white wine vinegar, mustard seeds, spirit vinegar and cayenne pepper in it.
My instinct is that it will be fine as it's egg yolk powder as a pose to whole egg yolks but if you don't think it will be ok then I'll dump it! It was only £1.15 so not a disaster.

This is very unlike me! I'm usually very good about using up reduced stuff on time and hardly ever throw anything out.

Thanks! And have a lovely Sunday :D It's not actually raining here in W London at the moment and the sun is peeking through ...
KC2
Registered

Re: out of date ready made Hollandaise sauce ....

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2019, 12:57 pm

I think if it had gone off it would taste rancid. The only problem is, you would have to open it to find out and then really would have to either use it or throw it away! I don't think I would serve it to vulnerable people either (elderly, poor immunity, pregnant etc) but would risk it by taste and smell for myself.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 22nd, 2019, 12:59 pm

I'd use it so long as it smelt and tasted OK.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 22nd, 2019, 1:21 pm

Thx, will open it and see ....
KC2
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 22nd, 2019, 2:33 pm

I agree.
Make the decision on what your eyes and nose tell you.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » December 22nd, 2019, 3:30 pm

"Sell-by" dates are usually a few days BEFORE the product actually begins to go off, if indeed it goes off at all.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 22nd, 2019, 3:40 pm

Unless it's fish from Morrisons :evil:. I think 'use by' dates are usually those recommended for the vulnerables and tend to vary depending on brand and product. Fish, meat and milk from many supermarkets is lucky to last until the recommended date. I find Sainsburys consistently good.
Sell by or 'best before' dates can usually be ignored if you have an ounce of common sense.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 22nd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Well, I live to tell the tale! It was absolutely fine, and delicious with a couple of poached eggs - thx all for the encouragement :tu:

Just couldn't decide whether to add the end of the packet to the bread sauce I've just made for Wednesday, but didn't in the end ...
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop