Foodies in the New Years Honours List 2019

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Foodies in the New Years Honours List 2019

Postby StokeySue » December 28th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Foodies have done well, MBE for Nadiya Hussain and Ainsley Harriott, OBE for Nigel Slater.

Film directors Sam Mendes and Steve McQueen get knighthoods, as Humphrey Burton which was a surprise as I thought he had one!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Foodies in the New Years Honours List 2019

Postby WWordsworth » December 28th, 2019, 6:15 pm

Really happy for Nadiya.
Not fussed about Ainsley. I'm sure he's a pleasant chap but I find him annoying.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 28th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Ainsley’s books are the biz. And he’s a sweetie.

Nigel’s early stuff was great but he’s become a parody of that.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 28th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Ainsley is one of the few whose recipes are so well tested they can they can be relied on to work first time
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 29th, 2019, 11:57 am

StokeySue wrote:Ainsley is one of the few whose recipes are so well tested they can they can be relied on to work first time

That's interesting, Sue. I'll bear that in mind next time I'm looking around for interesting recipes to try.
OH is very keen on Nigel Slater although I find it a bit disconcerting that he often doesn't really "do" quantities. OH is much better at winging it than I am! But then he never bakes cakes or makes puddings, where the quantities can be more crucial.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 29th, 2019, 12:18 pm

I don’t mind Nigel’s approximations as I cook like that a lot, but I over recent years he has taken to pointing out the blindingly obvious very sloooowly and confidentially which annoys me. He also cooks a little dish for supper and gives no indication of how you make two spoonfuls of delicious food into a meal.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 29th, 2019, 12:29 pm

The older I get the more puzzled I become at the timing of honours for various people - as in why now? I understand the contributions to broadcasting and society made by most of those selected and can only assume it takes a while after the wheels are set in motion for it to happen.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 29th, 2019, 1:12 pm

The thing about honours is that someone has to nominate you, though I think the committee do request nominations, no nomination, no gong and I know more than one person who has been disappointed not to be recognised, and I really think in at least one case I can blame specific people for not getting round to it.

Anyone can nominate any eligible person, though I think they maybe look for candidates for specific honours, there are only so many Companions of Honour or Garter Knights, so there will be a selection process to fill vacancies.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 29th, 2019, 1:22 pm

And as I understand it, you won’t get one of the higher awards unless you’ve already received one of the lower ones ... with the exception of one -off bravery/gallantry type awards.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 29th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Multiple awards can be confusing, I did wonder why Baroness Benjamin was now being given a dame hook to make her Dame Floella, but of course the life peerage was really more of a job requirement than an honour, so she could be a working peer in the Lords, and Dame is a recognition of her achievements there.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop