[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - ISO Suelle and Stokey Sue

ISO Suelle and Stokey Sue

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

ISO Suelle and Stokey Sue

Postby Pepper Pig » December 29th, 2019, 6:52 pm

I notice from your posts both here and in other places that you are keen on a daily walk. I walk the dog and it is such a chore, mainly because of arthritis but also because I‘Ve already been for an early morning swim to get myself into a fit state to walk. :o :o :o

Do either of you have Fitness or steps monitors to tell you how many calories you burn per walk? I do 400 per swim every day but my walking is woeful, maybe another 200 on a good day. I do know that I am fatter than either of you.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: ISO Suelle and Stokey Sue

Postby StokeySue » December 29th, 2019, 7:32 pm

7A618480-B2A1-43C7-8EC6-B0F5D3B7979B.png
Steady walking isn’t a massive calorie burner, I’m thinking of adding swimming to tone the bits it doesn’t reach more than for calories

I had a Fitbit Flex but lost i had a cheap replacement but it got wet; for walking I use the free app Map my Walk o my phone, here’s a typical screenshot
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 29th, 2019, 7:35 pm

I know you didn't address this to me but a few weeks ago DD introduced me to a free phone pedometer app. I didn't know such things existed before but if you look in an app store there are lots. Of course you have to have the phone with you for it to work but I am finding it very useful. It gives calories spent too. Probably not as accurate as one which you attach to yourself but its start!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 29th, 2019, 7:57 pm

The kids treated me to an Apple Watch a while ago EM - younger son then worked for Apple so I’m a bit used to that system.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 29th, 2019, 9:11 pm

I've got a basic step counter (not linked to a computer) which does convert steps to calories burnt, and it's not very much at all for steady walking.

That's why I keep saying that exercise isn't the most efficient way of losing weight - unless you are a top class athlete training for hours, but then you wouldn't be overweight if you were in that position, you'd be more worried about eating enough so that you didn't lose weight.

I haven't used it for a while, as it lost it's novelty value after a few busy days, and once I knew that a walk into town, round the shops and back was about 6000 steps, but I'll try to remember to put it on for my Tuesday group walk and see how many calories I use.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Suelle » December 30th, 2019, 10:22 am

I wore the step counter for a walk into town, round Waitrose and straight back - a bit less in terms of distance than my usual shopping trips.

I did 5116 steps in 40 minutes. I walked 3.2 km, which is just about 2 miles. I used 215 calories!

I don't think these basic counters can take account of how much effort you put in, but I need to test that - for instance, if I'd done the same walk in 30 minutes, would it register more calories used?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » December 30th, 2019, 10:36 am

Perhaps you'd sprint tomorrow so we can see :lol:. I think they must take time into account. One could do a walk round the block at different paces/speed to find out I suppose. The one I downloaded onto my phone wanted to know my height and weight so it must be doing some kind of calculation. I must say, that even if mine is inaccurate it gives added incentive to walk further.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 11:33 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 30th, 2019, 11:43 am

I downloaded an app onto my (Android) phone and OH has the inbuilt one on his iPhone. Yesterday we both did more or less exactly the same amount of walking and mine registered nearly twice as many steps as his .... I think we're going to have to do a test going to the shops at the end of the road, and seeing what they both register.

It surely can't be that he takes steps that are twice as long as mine! Anyway, I thought the apps were supposed to compute that. I certainly had to enter my gender, height and weight. Not sure if he has as the app came with the phone.
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » December 30th, 2019, 11:51 am

The inaccuracies of these things, when compared to each other, are well known, although twice as many steps for the same distance seems a long way out. I think the best you can hope for is to use your own device as a measure of your day to day activities - to notice if your activity has lessened for any reason, or if you are slowing down over the same distance.

One good thing, for me, about taking part in a group walk, with a leader, is that it is slightly faster than I walk on my own, so at the end of the hour I feel I have achieved something extra!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 11:55 am

Don’t forget you probably take smaller steps so use more to cover each 100metres!

Proper pedometers and activity trackers like Fitbit record actual steps, because they count the physical shocks they receive as you move. Most phone apps for walking, such as I use measure the actual distance using GPS and then estimate the number of steps used. More accurate ones will use you height and weight to estimate the number of steps required. None are 100% accurate, though most activity trackers are reasonable.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 1:29 pm

One of the things I like about the Apple Watch is that you can communicate your work outs with other Apple users. Coming from a very competitive family I love it when my swim is the first completed exercise of the day. Am not so keen when the watch vibrates on my way to the pool to tell me that one of the others has already run 5 miles on some sort of machine!

Talking of walks. This looks fun if you’re a Dickens enthusiast. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2019 ... lking-tour
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 3:25 pm

That’s the sort of thing one of my U3A groups does - the Dickens walk I mean

So the Apple Watch is swim proof then? I have a few issues with them and the other activity trackers as they are expensive, mainly hideous - I wear traditional watches that are jewellery and don’t want to wear a digital watch (though I’d probably be able to read the time better), and I find them quite complicated, as apart from the time I find the little screens hard to read. And surprisingly few are waterproof, which considering their purpose is a bit silly.

Doubtless I’ll end up with something of the kind eventually :D
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 3:32 pm

I think the Apple 4 watches onwards are swim proof Sue. And FitBit have recently brought out a swimmers one as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fitbit-Inspire ... 802&sr=8-2

I can’t read mine when I’m swimming but it does vibrate with any kind of iPhone alert so as long as I leave my specs with my water bottle at the side of the pool then I can pick up messages, useful in my current predicament.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I would not be able to easily read the screen on that, I’ve seen the current Fitbits and don’t much like them. I had the Flex which was the one without a screen and was waterproof but they don’t make it anymore :(
I don’t think I’d want to use the communication functions but of course I might change my mind when I get it
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 30th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Back from Waitrose. 8403 steps and 406 calories. I'll go with that :)!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 4:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu: :tu: :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 30th, 2019, 5:19 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 5:21 pm

The Apple watch does gradients. No use to someone like me whose maths brain died in about 1969. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » December 30th, 2019, 5:49 pm

my son has a 'fossil' that he uses in the pool as a training aid. i think it does all the heart-rate, sleep tracking, email alert etc but looks like an ordinary, analogue watch.
according to my phone there are days that i don't move at all - but then i tend to leave my phone either in my handbag or on one of the hall bookcases and not in a pocket.

ps. is the iso in the title short for 'in search of' or does it have another textspeak meaning nearer to fao that i haven't heard of?
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 6:05 pm

I didn’t want to exclude others Scully. I interact with both Sues on different forums from this. And I hope I’m not a pedant.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 6:40 pm

I think most of the GPS ones do something with elevation or vertical distance, but I don’t do much with it except think oh, that was quite a hill them!
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 30th, 2019, 7:48 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 30th, 2019, 7:55 pm

I have readings for steps and calories on my iPhone, but I've never entered any personal details. The same occurs at the gym. All the equipment gives readings for calories, but again, I haven't put in any personal details.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » December 30th, 2019, 8:31 pm

If you don’t enter details you ain’t going to get anything approaching helpful. I trust my kids generation on this.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » December 30th, 2019, 11:02 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 11:32 pm

ISO in this context musically mans In Search Of, much the same as the old school FAO (for the attention of)
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 30th, 2019, 11:42 pm

that was the one that i thought it must mean (see the other of my posts), sue, i thought i may have been missing a relevant one.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 30th, 2019, 11:55 pm

Autocorrect prefers musically to usually, must have made a typo
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 31st, 2019, 9:11 am

So glad this has been mentioned. I have often seen it here and wasn't familiar with it either.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 31st, 2019, 10:33 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 5th, 2020, 11:17 am

I remembered to wear my step counter for my longer Sunday walk this morning - 10,874 steps, in 90 minutes, used 457 calories. That was 6.84km, or 4.25 miles.

I tend to start off too fast, then slow down as I run out of energy, so ought to learn to pace myself better.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Return to The Coffee Shop