[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Your favourite invention of the last 50 years!

Your favourite invention of the last 50 years!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Your favourite invention of the last 50 years!

Postby Pepper Pig » January 3rd, 2020, 9:54 pm

Mine would be the duvet. In 1974 when I left home my aunt bought me an M&S duvet with covers. My mother didn’t want me to leave home so absented herself from any gifting.

It was bliss to be away from an eiderdown, a bedspread and Brentford Nylon fitted sheets.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Your favourite invention of the last 50 years!

Postby earthmaiden » January 3rd, 2020, 10:21 pm

I remember us getting a duvet round about the same time. We were newly married and our bedding was mostly inherited from older relatives. We went to stay with also newly married friends who lived in the wilds of Wales, in the middle of winter. We had their bed and they slept on the sofa. They had a duvet .... so did we very soon afterwards! Of course, they had been around in Scandinavia for ages I think.

It may have been invented over 50 years ago but I only got my first automatic washing machine 34 years ago - wonderful after years of nappy boilers, launderettes, a soaking tummy and eventually a second hand twin tub!
Last edited by earthmaiden on January 3rd, 2020, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 3rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

Without any doubt it was a dishwasher for us, after the first 2 years of marriage arguing about the dishes, our first dishwasher saved our marriage! It so transformed our lives that my OH thought we should buy another to have on standby in case it broke down.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 3rd, 2020, 11:15 pm

Had they not had duvets in other countries before ? Wiki thinks the Vikings invented them!
I do like mine, makes a lot more sense than the old system of blankets topped with an eider down which was invariably slightly too small and covered in slippery satin so it slid off in the night.

Lots of things are older than you think, but the microprocessor, which makes most modern good and bad things (phones, tablets, laptops, and all sorts of things such as contactless) is it turns it almost exactly 50. Happy Birthday! :cocktail:

Personally I might have to go for LED lighting, which makes a huge difference to me. Or my drug treatment which is based on the murine monoclonal antibody, (mAB) developed in 1975 by Cèsar Milstein. I worked a little bit on mAB drugs 25 - 5 years ago, and found the science fascinating and elegant. And now I find it very useful!
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 4th, 2020, 12:04 am

Yes, a dishwasher (not sure when invented. America usually has these sorts of things long before us.) I got my first one in 2002, when we bought out first house. Nothing ever seems quite clean at my mother’s who has never had one.
Mind you I had no washing machine for first 5 years of life away from home either.

Re duvets I’ve not slept in one like the ones we have at home in any hotel in France. They always seem to have very heavy quilts. Actually my wool filled one is more like continental ones in weight and texture. Did Conran tinker with the design? We used to call them continental quilts.

It’s not fashionable to say it but I love my very portable tiny computer aka smart phone. So much information at one’s finger tips. And digital SLRs are great. Digital cameras in general have made photography more accessible/affordable.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2020, 9:21 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 4th, 2020, 9:50 am

I would of course have to say the best invention has been the kidney transplant. Like duvets and dishwashers, they are really more than 50 years old but only became widely available in more recent times.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 4th, 2020, 10:14 am

Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 4th, 2020, 11:03 am

KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 4th, 2020, 11:07 am

My mother bought her first washing machine about 5 years ago. She'd been renting all these years. It didn't last. She had to buy another one last year. She must have got through more than one rental model, but the last one must have been over thirty years old.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 4th, 2020, 11:13 am

I think I'd go for domestic freezers. They might have been around for more than 50 years, but certainly weren't in common use until the 70s.

Tumble dryers probably come a close second (with the same proviso about when they came into common use). I remember refusing to become pregnant until I was promised a tumble dryer (this was in the days of Terry nappies). I don't use it often these days - just bedding during the winter - but it was very useful with babies and toddlers around.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » January 4th, 2020, 11:21 am

Agree re all of the above. I still remember my mum's twin tub. It was fab :D

Think I'll also put in a nomination for the vacuum cleaner (or are they older than that?)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 4th, 2020, 11:39 am

I have never had a tumble drier. OH doesn’t believe in them . . . :shock: :shock: :shock:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2020, 11:51 am

We still have a working early 1930's Hoover in the family. One of the first you could easily push round the room.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » January 4th, 2020, 12:26 pm

i think we had all of the above when i was little (i used my christmas money one year to buy a duvet so that i wouldn't be moaned at for not making my bed in the morning - i think i was about eleven) so they are more than fifty years old - bar sue's drugs and the dialysis - we didn't have those.
i can't think of my utmost favourite but i think one of my favourites is acyclovir - which has possibly, i would say, eradicated cold sores for me and has allowed me to kiss loved ones without having to think twice.
i quite like the e-reader, too, saves a lot of luggage space on holiday. the smart phone, laptop - tech etc i have a love hate relationship with - love using it but hate the time it can waste distracting me from stuff i could/should be doing.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2020, 12:27 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 4th, 2020, 12:35 pm

before we got an automatic (when i was ten - twelve), we had a big acme single tub that was heated by gas and agitated by electricity - and with a manual wringer on that my brother and i played 'trap the other's fingers in'. the washing was rinsed in the sink and spun in a spin drier before putting on the line.
scullion
Registered

Postby jrc » January 4th, 2020, 3:19 pm

I have two dishwashers. One manual. :oops: :oops:

We bought new when we moved into dads place in September 2016.

Bob dislikes dishwashers with a vengeance so insists on washing up himself so it has only been used about five times in total . :rolleyes:

Then just before Christmas we found our washing machine is on the dodgy list so am awaiting a replacement. :rolleyes:

Oh and the new cooker we bought went defunct and it wasn’t viable to repair so is currently sitting on the patio awaiting to go to the tip and the tumble drier gave up the ghost. :? :?

Apart from that all is well in the kitchen. :lol:

On question though, we replaced the cooker. It is exactly the same size as the previous ( I will have to get out the booklet) but the depth of the oven seems to be half of that of the previous one??? :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 4th, 2020, 3:26 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Oh dear jrc :hug:. The lifetime of appliances seems so hit and miss. Strange about the oven :?.

I love all my labour saving appliances. The vacuum and washing machine have taken the most drudgery away IMO but I still love my dishwasher and tumble dryer. We were going to have a tumble dryer when DS was born, for the nappies. We had planned to go Thursday late night shopping to choose it. I was really excited. On the Tuesday OH visited someone with one who told him it cost a lot to run. I hated that person, it was another 30 years before I got one :evil: :rolleyes:. MIL liked the all in one ones but she had several which all went wrong.

We got the electric mincer which was on our wedding list in the 70s. I thought it was wonderful not to have to use a hand one any more. Different times. I can't remember the last time I wanted to mince anything.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby jrc » January 4th, 2020, 5:37 pm

I am now determined to measure the two ovens in the morning. The first is still sitting on the patio. We have a pizza tray that fitted perfectly in the old cooker but is way too big for the new one. You have now got me totally confused as to why the new oven appears to be half the size of the previous despite the whole cooker being the same size. Doh. :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2020, 6:42 pm

Better/more insulation packed around the oven?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 4th, 2020, 7:35 pm

My Mum loved her twin tub and it was the mid-1990s before she switched to an automatic when it died and only because replacing it was so expensive compared to the others.
There are lots of things I could include as "best"m ost of which have been covered but for me the two not mentioned are probably stick blenders and home internet. The blenders I know were invented pre-1970s but not something that was widely available to most folk (as far as I know).
liketocook
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 4th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Powered vacuum cleaners first appeared at the end of the 19th century. A lot of eletrical household devices became widely available in the 30s - if you could afford them - although some early versions of things - washing machines, fridges - ran on gas. Gas v electricity. It was the Betmax vs VHA of it's day :)

Talking of which, had we had this conversation 25-30 years ago, we might have said video recorders.

My husband insisted on a tumble dryer when we bought our current house in 2009. I didn't use it for ages until I discovered fluffy towels :D which is pirmarily what it's used for now, although in summer I start off drying them outside if it's the weekend. Our dryer in France is essential. It's too damp to dry things in doors or out most of the time we are there. (No radiators or central heating, alhtugh I do now have one of those heated drying racks and a dehumidfier too.)

Washing machine in France is a top loader...
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop