[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Things you rarely see these days.

Things you rarely see these days.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you rarely see these days.

Postby suffolk » January 23rd, 2020, 7:26 pm

There’s a large petrol station at the Thickthorn roundabout where the A11 and the A47 meet ... quite often a chap who works there comes out and insists on filling my car with fuel while I go inside to wait in the warm and then pay.

It makes up for the time when I was 17 and worked in the office at a village garage and one of my duties was to be “pump dolly” :lol: no matter what the weather :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 23rd, 2020, 7:32 pm

Thanks BB.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 23rd, 2020, 10:55 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 24th, 2020, 10:23 am

Can you still get lettuce/salad spinners for washing your salad leaves? My mum had one (she did love a gadget did my mum).

Re petrol stations- Mr S was a petrol pump attendant in Skipton for a while, between school and university. He really enjoyed it. Another friend of mine also worked at a petrol station and was responsible for closing it down late in the evening. He always sang 'My Way' over the tannoy system as he was doing so. Probably drove the neighbours bonkers. :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2020, 10:49 am

I would have though salad spinners still mainstream equipment, mine is at least 25 years old and used on average twice a week, but they are available all over the place. How else do you dry salad without taking it outside and shaking it?

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 24th, 2020, 10:51 am

My mother used to wrap lettuce leaves up in a tea towel and spin it round over her head. She might still do so.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 24th, 2020, 11:40 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 24th, 2020, 2:37 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2020, 7:07 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 24th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Took our salad spinner to a Charity shop last week.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 24th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 26th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2020, 7:45 pm

Just watching the Antiques Road Trip. Who remembers Subbuteo? And why on earth was it ever a thing? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 31st, 2020, 7:50 pm

I didn't know it stopped being a thing, I thought I had just managed to avoid it for the past 30 years :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 31st, 2020, 7:56 pm

I can’t remember my boys playing it and they’re both games lads, 38 and 28 respectively. But I am old and my memory is terrible,
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 31st, 2020, 8:22 pm

Ex OH bought it sometime between 1974 and 1984. We all played it for a while but apart from him, none of us liked football much and I seem to remember that the base cloth rucked up a lot giving unfair advantages to some.I have just looked it up and apparently it is supposed to be played on a table. We always played on the carpet :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 1st, 2020, 3:53 pm

not for cooking but found lava lamp in closet last week
wargarden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2020, 4:00 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 1st, 2020, 4:04 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 1st, 2020, 4:15 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » February 1st, 2020, 4:38 pm

We have a Subbuteo set under our bed!
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 1st, 2020, 4:52 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 1st, 2020, 4:56 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 1st, 2020, 10:29 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2020, 11:45 am

i have a lava lamp. i wasn't allowed one first time round - the excuse was that it was for the kids. i put it on occasionally.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 2nd, 2020, 1:20 pm

I've always wanted one! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 2nd, 2020, 5:46 pm

I've got a Galileo thermometer on my mantlepiece.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 2nd, 2020, 6:07 pm

No idea what that is Gruney.

Does anyone still have a Ewbank carpet sweeper?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 2nd, 2020, 6:28 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » February 2nd, 2020, 6:31 pm

I've got a carpet sweeper (don't think its a Ewbank). I haven't used it since I had the cordless vacuum though. I found some of DDs old dolls house furniture which included a carpet sweeper. Had to spend some time explaining it to GD :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 2nd, 2020, 7:53 pm

It's been nearly 10 years since I retired, but one day at work, we had a power cut. I opened the drawer of my desk and pulled out my slide rule and carried on calculating...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2020, 9:57 pm

we used to have a galileo thermometer until one of the cats brought in a bird and knocked the thermometer off the shelf along with something else, both dropping onto a two foot (or more) wide bowl that i had made and smashing that, too, while trying to get the bird. i was not happy.
we have one of - i added a bit of clear plastic tubing to the spout as it kept squirting out!
a very elderly patient i had, many moons ago, had a barometer that was made from an old jar and a bottle (like upended in it, part filled with water. it had lived on her shelf for decades - and on her parents shelf before that. i keep meaning to make one from an old chianti bottle and jar - maybe tomorrow!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2020, 10:20 pm

The barometer bottle looks like the old patent baby feeding bottles
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 2nd, 2020, 10:25 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » February 2nd, 2020, 10:29 pm

My guess stick has long gone

Didn’t real nerds have circular slide rules.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 2nd, 2020, 10:31 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby scullion » February 2nd, 2020, 10:34 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 2nd, 2020, 10:48 pm

I never got to understand circular slide rules. A bit nerdy. But I think the hardcore nerds used cylindrical slide rules!! :)

I still have my slide rule, but it's a complex one that has loglog scales for doing hydraulic calculations where powers of numbers were not integers!! :) I don't think I could work one to its full extent now. But I have retained the ability to do rough calculations, which you needed with a slide rule to get the decimal point in the right place...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2020, 10:47 am

Log tables... We weren't allowed to use calculators until Upper IV (or somesuch).
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 5th, 2020, 11:02 am

I loved log tables, so simple.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 5th, 2020, 11:28 am

We were taught to use them (logs) as a theoretical exercise ... but never how they could be of any practical use :? but then most maths was a foreign land to me in those days ... it wasn’t until an Indian pathologist told me that I should be good at maths because it’s logic and he said I was very logical ... so then I stopped being scared of maths ... but by then I was thirty years old ;)

Edit: I meant to say that the Indian pathologist was reading my palm at the time.
Last edited by suffolk on February 5th, 2020, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 5th, 2020, 12:01 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 5th, 2020, 12:40 pm

A friend who used to teach photography said that he was the only person he knew who used logs :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 5th, 2020, 12:56 pm

I think maths is rarely taught well. Those who are good at it just 'see' how things work, and don't/can't break them down sufficiently for those who don't. When I was doing the first year of my aborted pyschology degree, for some reason, I re-taught myself how to do simultaneous (I wouldn't have needed this for stats, would I?) and understood how they worked for the first time. it was quite revelatory. At school we were just shown how to do them.

I have always thought of myself as bad at maths. I just didn't really understand it, I think. Inspite of this, I suppose, I was made to take maths o'level a year early, got a B and was then made to do A/O in the fifth form. But after getting about 33% in my mocks, was allowed to drop it.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 5th, 2020, 1:06 pm

It does annoy me that very often schools give no hint of practical applications using what is being taught. I don't know if this has changed in the last few years but doubt it. I can remember getting extra help learning about things like compound interest but never being given any hint about why I should care. I think grown ups often forget that these things are not always obvious.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 5th, 2020, 1:35 pm

Blimey, Scully, I take my hat off to you for passing your maths O' level. I mumphed mine at school, tried again after I graduated (was toying with the idea of a PGCE as it was then) and mumphed it again- twice... :oops: . Best I ever managed was a CSE grade 3. I was- and remain- totally useless at maths.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 5th, 2020, 1:41 pm

I still find my times tables useful.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 5th, 2020, 1:55 pm

suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 5th, 2020, 3:13 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 5th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop