[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Portable cake

Portable cake

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Portable cake

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2020, 4:16 pm

I would like to take a home made cake with me to a friend’s house. It’s their birthday but I won’t do a decorated cake, just a gift

Not a huge cake, probably 20 cm but could be 23 cm

My fall back position is the BeRo boiled fruit caked, tweaked with a bit of rum and spice but I’ve made dozens of those and quite fancy doing something different, possibly something chocolatey?

Thoughts?
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Portable cake

Postby Gruney » February 6th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Nigella's chocolate and Guinness cake is an absolute winner.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chocolate-guinness-cake
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 6th, 2020, 4:25 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 6th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Yes, you could take the topping in a tub and spread it on when you get there.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » February 6th, 2020, 5:19 pm

bruce bogtrotter (search box for scans) - better a day or two after making. i have made a half sized one (in a solar cooker) which made about a 20cm cake.
very rich.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Brucie loos good but a full one would certainly be more than required

I've had the Guinness cake and not really liked it, but reading the recipe, I suspect my friend had the initial melted mix way too hot when she added the other ingredients
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm

I haven't made this for years but it was always fab! https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dar ... late-torte
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » February 6th, 2020, 6:21 pm

the bruce bogtrotter in that link is very different to the one in the roald dahl cookbook. (the aforementioned scans).
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2637&p=67540&hilit=bruce+bogtrotter#p67540
the recipe also says to use a 20cm tin.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 6th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Hmm. that's quite similar to scalywitch's Toblerone cake, which would also be a candidate
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 6th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Most cakes, as long as they aren't too light and spongey, are portable. When travelling on foot, or public transport, I find loaf shaped cakes are easier, as they fit better into a bag for carrying. I usually bake with a pre-formed tin liner, and put the cake back in it's tin and cover with foil, once it's cold, for protection while travelling.

Cakes with the proportion of a Madeira cake are sturdier than cakes with equal quantities of each ingredient. This recipe makes a 20cm cake but would also fit in a 2lb loaf tin:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2018/ ... olate.html

With this recipe you can vary the 'add-ins' according to your taste or larder - you could leave out the ground almonds (adding more flour) and add just orange zest and chocolate chips; chocolate and stem ginger; lemon zest, sultanas and cranberries, cherry and coconut (using 75g desiccated coconut instead of 50g of the flour); hazelnuts and dried apricot - whatever you fancied, really.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby WWordsworth » February 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Nigella's chocolate raspberry pudding cake is a crowd pleaser, done it a few times now.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby uschi » February 7th, 2020, 10:35 am

How about a Zebra cake. One batter/dough, that is divided into two equal portions, one of which is mixed with cocoa, then one drops a tablespoonful of dark mix into the centre of a round tin, then a spoonful of white on top of it, a spoonful of dark on top, then white and so on. Each new spoonful pushes the lower stratas further towards the edge. Don't stir, just keep adding batter until there is none left. Then bake the cake and top with an icing of rum and icing sugar. Make it a bit on the liquid side so it can soak into the cake. No artistry needed, but it will look and taste great. Not my picture, but it will give you an idea.

It travels well and is best made a day ahead.

Zebra-cake - Zebrakuchen

5 egg yolks
250 g sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar (=10 g of normal sugar and some v.essence)
rum flavour to taste
1/8 l lukewarm water
1/4 l oil (sunflower or some other neutral stuff)
375 g flour
1 satchet baking powder (15 g or two level tablespoons)
5 egg whites
2 tablespoons cocoa-powder

decorate with a runny rum icing

Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla sugar with the mixer until creamy.
Add rum flavour, water and oil. Mix flour and baking powder and add this in stages.

Whisk egg whites until stiff and add them carefully to the dough. (make sure the whisk and bowl are absolutely fat free and no yolk has contaminated the egg whites)
Add cocoa-powder to one half of the dough, leave the other "white".
Butter a 26 cm round springform and cover with breadcrumbs.

Drop 2 tablespoonfuls of white dough right into the middle of the form, do not spread the dough.
Now drop 2 tablespoons of dark dough on top of the white, again without spreading.
Alternate 2 spoonfuls of each white and dark dough until the dough is used up. The dough will spread itself and if you want the zebra-pattern do not stir or spread the dough.

Baking: 40-60 minutes (upper and lower heat) at 170°C - 200°C (preheated)
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 7th, 2020, 3:56 pm

:chops: :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 7th, 2020, 7:27 pm

I want to have a go at that just to prove I can ;) :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2020, 11:09 am

Doesn't it look lovely?

I make a chocolate and vanilla marble cake which is similar but I just adore the zebra thing with Uschi's cake! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 8th, 2020, 11:11 am

KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2020, 11:15 am

The zebra cake looks amazing, but I think it’s not quite what I need this time.
Not sure about using rum flavouring either
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » February 8th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I don't know what the UK flavour is like, but the German stuff works well. Mind you, if you use real rum icing, then it isn't needed.

The trick wíth this cake is to trust gravity. Just drop the dough on top of each dollop normally and don't try and spread it. It will come out a little domed, but the pattern makes up for it all. And who says that a cupola cake isn't pretty. It will also keep well. Actually, making it a day or two ahead and then keeping it in an airtight container so the rum can really soak in is a good idea.
uschi
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 10th, 2020, 3:03 am

well there is roll cake siting vertically.

or the legendary smith island cake which has hard chocolate Icing on outside
to make transport and movement easier.

boiled chocolate Icing
chocolate fudge icing

both set a hard exterior to the cake.
If want post recipe for each.
both give a very hard exterior to the cake
wargarden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2020, 10:32 am

I fancy making Uschi's zebra cake today, but what could I use in place of rum flavouring ( unless I use real rum :? :?: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 16th, 2020, 10:38 am

Did you choose a cake, Sue?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 16th, 2020, 10:44 am

I think I’m going to make this, Nigella’s Olive Oil Chocolate Cake, but I’ll check with my friend tonight for tips, as I’m pretty sure she made it a couple of times
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 16th, 2020, 10:54 am

:tu:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 16th, 2020, 11:11 am

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2020, 11:55 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 16th, 2020, 12:03 pm

I've had another idea - if you like coffee you could add a teaspoon of instant coffee dissolved in a tablespoon of milk to the basic batter. Result should be a mocha flavoured cake.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 16th, 2020, 12:22 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 16th, 2020, 2:10 pm

Great minds, Patsy! :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » February 16th, 2020, 3:56 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby uschi » February 16th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Let me know how it works out!!!
I have a Meissen cheesecake in the oven right now. The Beauty of it being that it bakes it’s own bottom. Just one batter is all that is needed.
uschi
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 16th, 2020, 5:14 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby uschi » February 16th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Meissen is a town in Saxony, which lent its Name to the China produced there. The cake is also a regional speciality, but nothing to do with china as such.
uschi
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 16th, 2020, 8:45 pm

The cake sounds great - especially if it only needs one batter .... please do share :chef:
KC2
Registered

Postby uschi » February 16th, 2020, 9:17 pm

Cake or Recipe?
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 16th, 2020, 9:47 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 16th, 2020, 10:51 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 17th, 2020, 9:44 am

Well, the cake didn't turn out as planned. :aww:
First; I didn't have a large enough cake tin, so reduced the mix ratio using 3 eggs instead of 5.
Second; it wasn't an easy job halving the finished mix before adding the cocoa/coffee flavour.
Third; the batter was much slacker than I imagined and although I followed the instructions to the letter, the alternative spoonfuls just flooded out. :td:
I have taken (phone) photos, but can't for some reason upload them to post on here. :? There was definite layers, but the first layers were very thin, being weighed down with the upper layers . I had more chocolate than vanilla mix, so just had to pile on the remainder. I'll keep persevering with the photos ..
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 17th, 2020, 11:14 am

That's a shame, Patsy. I wonder if scaling down was the problem - it's not always straightforward.

This is a nice recipe, if you have a bundt tin, and forms layers in a similar way. Everyone is very impressed when it's cut:
https://mainlybaking.blogspot.com/2012/ ... cocoa.html
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » February 17th, 2020, 11:23 am

scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » February 17th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Last edited by uschi on February 17th, 2020, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uschi
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Thanks Uschi!!
KC2
Registered

Postby uschi » February 17th, 2020, 4:04 pm

You are welcome! As they said in Scullion's link, it does rise quite a bit, but then it settles.
uschi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 17th, 2020, 4:29 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » February 17th, 2020, 7:28 pm

I hope it will work out better next time, Patsy. :hug:
uschi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 18th, 2020, 10:40 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 18th, 2020, 12:19 pm

And here are the pics :

acake3.jpg
Attachments
acake1.jpg
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 18th, 2020, 12:27 pm

That still looks quite effective, Patsy - by no means a disaster.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Looks lovely Patsy. I adore marble cake. It's my all-time favorite. When I was a little girl my (much older) sister used to make me a marble cake on my birthday. She used as many colours and flavours as she could and covered the cake with melted chocolate. Oooh, how magical those cakes were! :chops: :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 18th, 2020, 2:09 pm

Patsy, it looks great! :tu: :tu:

Like Sea, we love marble cake. I've got a recipe from a Swiss friend that I use when I make it (haven't done it for years, though, I must say ... used to make it all the time. Funny how things change! I guess fewer cakes as no "boys" and when I do, I tend to make dead simple ones!)
Not as exotic as Sea's birthday cakes -just two colours and no icing, but sprinkled icing sugar.
KC2
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop