[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Mini choppers - recommendations?

Mini choppers - recommendations?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Mini choppers - recommendations?

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2020, 8:09 pm

My friend has hinted that she would like a mini chopper for her birthday

My first thought was the Lakeland one, but the reviews aren’t amazing

The best reviews seem to be for the Kenwood

Thoughts? Advice?
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Mini choppers - recommendations?

Postby slimpersoninside » February 8th, 2020, 9:23 pm

I got a Kenwood one many years ago, when featured by Delia on one of her series. It looks like the one in your second link - just had a look and it is actually a CH180. IMO it works well.

Hope this helps.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Me too on all of what slimpersoninside just said! I am rather glad they've not seen fit to change a model that clearly works well.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 8th, 2020, 10:09 pm

I have that Kenwood model, or something very similar, too. It works well, but it it is a very small mini-chopper - it really depends what your friend expects to do with it. 350mls is only a couple of slices of bread if you're making crumbs, or an onion, a bit of ginger, garlic and some spices for a spice marinade. The lid isn't a tight seal either, so you mustn't overfill it if you are making something that's fairly liquid.

I find the larger Braun chopper, part of a set with a hand-blender too, much more useful, but of course, in a higher price range.

There's a Russell Hobbs model with a larger bowl, but not as good reviews as the Kenwood: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9176320
Last edited by Suelle on February 9th, 2020, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarity
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2020, 10:18 pm

DD had the Kenwood ... she may still have it ... it’s lasted for years and years and she’s certainly got a lot of use out of it.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 9th, 2020, 7:26 am

I have a Braun blender/chopper and find it very good. But as Suelle said, probably a lot more expensive.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 9th, 2020, 9:39 am

I think she really does want a mini chopper, it’s to replace an ancient cheap one that has been used a lot, so the Kenwood would be an upgrade
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2020, 11:06 am

I have this Tefal one and couldn't be more happy with it https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-MQ714140 ... 5451&psc=1 I've had it for a few years now and it gets lots of use I haven't found anything yet it can't cope with and I find it gives a more consistent chop than my previous Russell Hobbs one.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 9th, 2020, 11:13 am

That’s interesting ltc as it’s the other type of chopper

I find the Amazon entry a bit confusing, how many different blade units are supplied?
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 9th, 2020, 12:27 pm

so, it's only me who thought about the little fireman's axe we have in the outhouse rather than the bigger axe?
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 9th, 2020, 1:13 pm

Here comes a candle
To light you to bed
Here comes a chopper
To chop off your head

Last verse of Oranges and Lemons
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 9th, 2020, 1:14 pm

I must say, I've often wished I had something to chop herbs. One of the things that has slightly put me off is that they would need to be bone dry to be chopped effectively, whereas when you do it by hand it's not so crucial.
KC2
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2020, 1:46 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2020, 1:48 pm

KC2 I have a pair of herb scissors like these which are great if you want a shred rather than fine chop https://www.sarahraven.com/home-lifesty ... t=Hardware
liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » February 9th, 2020, 1:53 pm

i use ordinary scissors.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 9th, 2020, 1:59 pm

liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 9th, 2020, 2:07 pm

I once had a mouli herbs (like a mouli grater or legume but for herbs). It was useless, even if herbs are dry on the outside they are living plants and moist inside. The herbs always turned into mush.

I like the look of the scissors but a good knife, if you are lucky enough to have one, still works best! I have never used a mezzaluna.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 9th, 2020, 3:46 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 9th, 2020, 4:06 pm

I picked up one of these herb choppers in a charity shop, but as with other gadgets mentioned, it only works well with dry herbs, so you can't wash them just before use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-Chop ... 85&sr=1-55
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » February 9th, 2020, 4:49 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 9th, 2020, 7:26 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 9th, 2020, 8:53 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 10th, 2020, 9:52 am

liketocook
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 11:57 am

when i was little (it seemed to land on me to use it) we used to have one of those things that by bashing the knob on the top it whacks the zigzag blade down on the items that want chopping (i may have one somewhere even now) - ok if you don't mind the hand and muscle ache - unless you get a child to do it...
not sure it was that efficient though.
i think they are now called 'slap' choppers.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 12:15 pm

I’ve just been to Lidl. They had these in the middle.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen-ess ... per/p29392
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 10th, 2020, 12:45 pm

We've got a pair of those herb scissors, yes they get messy, a knife does for me.

Was given a Cuisinart mini processor - it's fine for turning a slice of bread into bread crumbs and grinding a handful of nuts. Useless for liquid, even following their recipe, as it leaks badly.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Amber » February 10th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Nobody’s mentioned my favourite Revel. Although it is maybe more of a grinder.
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2020, 11:53 pm

No, I think we are looking more at onions and carrots than spices, I have the Cuisinart equivalents of the Revel an it does a different job
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2020, 10:35 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 11th, 2020, 11:44 am

more of a simpering smirk, if you ask me.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2020, 12:34 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 11th, 2020, 2:49 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Busybee
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2020, 8:50 pm

I could do with one of those, if only just to chop onions ... they make my eyes stream, only solved when I bought myself (and our late friend Terri) a pair of glasses with foam round the rims that did the job - but only if you don't already need to wear glasses for everyday. My temporary solution is to get daughter to chop onions for me as she isn't affected at all, whilst I find it so uncomfortable - painful even :cry: :cry: :cry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 11th, 2020, 9:25 pm

That sounds miserable Patsy. If you have a chopping machine could you do them in bulk and freeze? They freeze very well.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2020, 11:24 pm

I don’t think the OXO is quite what we want here, but interesting, also possibly for people with eye problems, though one reviewer mentions needin to cut carrots lengthwise first which is potentially tricky.

You can of course buy bags of frozen diced onions
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 11:49 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2020, 12:03 am

I use the slicing blades on my food processor a lot, I did carrot, celery, leek and parsnip today. For me quicker, more uniform result , and safer than using a knife
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 12th, 2020, 9:20 am

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop