[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Coronavirus threat

Coronavirus threat

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Coronavirus threat

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Am I right to be getting a bit worried?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51447761
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Coronavirus threat

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 3:32 pm

I think quite a lot of effort has been made but that yes, we should all be vigilant.

It is fascinating to see how that one person could have impacted so many. I have friends who are going skiing in France at half term with their family. They are retired and live in Wiltshire. Their son, his wife and 4 grandchildren live in Surrey and their daughter and her partner in the west country. If they met with the virus whilst on holiday it is easy to see how that might spread before they had symptoms. I was feeling smug earlier in the scare that I had not been in contact with people who had recently been in China, then remembered I had had a day in Oxford and been in close proximity to people who could have been. I read yesterday that they believe that the disease could be passed via faecal matter as well as saliva. This seems reasonable but opens a new can of worms with regard to hygiene. If one interacts with others, uses public transport - in other words, is normal, then yes, there is reason for concern.

Keep washing your hands!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 10th, 2020, 4:55 pm

I thought that we had only had contact with family, but then I remembered that we stopped off on the way home at Bicester Shopping Village, which had coachloads of Chinese customers!!. If I caught anything (and I'm OK a week later) I have been on the train to London and around on the tube, as well as Costco and Tesco. So these things will spread easily.

The last I read was that the group in the French chalet we not giving any serious concern, yet a 30 year old doctor in China has died. Very confusing.

There were rumours that the London isolation centre would be Northwick Park Hospital, which is quite close - at least compared to China. :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » February 10th, 2020, 4:56 pm

I always use anti-bacterial stuff when I get in to the office (including after lunch) and when I get home. The trick is not to touch your face while en route. But of course, at work, I can't control what other people do and I can't be washing my hands all the time.

It's not a death sentence if you get it. BBC is estimating 1% chance of dying. I imagine this is not very accurate.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Funny you should mention Northwick Park Aero. I had a text from a friend today who said that Elgar Ward had been sealed off as they had a confirmed case. It appears to be fake news as other people have been there today and said it’s not true. I’m surprised there would be room for an isolation unit, it’s always heaving. Central Middlesex maybe?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 10th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Do we know how easy it is to catch it though? Fleeting moments in the presence of others is surely not necessarily going to be enough.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 10th, 2020, 5:10 pm

I always thought that Stanmore would make a good isolation hospital, but it's really just orthopedic. Maybe the Churchill?
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 5:42 pm

is quite a good site for the up to date stats.

but i wouldn't worry, that font of knowledge, trump, says that it will go away with the warmer weather in april.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 10th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Phew, thank goodness for Trump.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2020, 5:54 pm

i'm always a little dubious as to how well sneezing into your elbow (as in the grauniad article) works. i tend to sneeze down inside my t shirt and jumper.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm

My feeling is that Wuhan coronavirus is a real concern as a new illness, Which is what the WHO says, but the risk to any of us individually is very, very, very small at present

There isn’t enough data on the mode and frequency of transmission to calculate risks (betting odds if you prefer, same thing). But the impression is that it is unusually easy to catch, and unfortunately it looks as if people are infectious before they have the slightest sense of being ill

SARS, the 2002-2003 new coronavirus fizzled out quite rapidly, with medical intervention but this seems to be behaving a bit differently.

If you catch it, obviously your chances of being left permanently damaged are obviously higher if you already have respiratory illness, but who dies when they catch a virus always seems a bit random to me, maybe a virologist would know more, but it seems to be something that struck doctors during the post WW1 flu pandemic - you couldn’t predict who would make a full recovery. Different disease of course but I think the example works.
As aero says, Li Wenliang, a previously healthy 34 year old ophthalmic surgeon died, as have other healthcare staff

On the bright side, it looks as if a vaccine of some sort can be made quite quickly.

The other worrying thing is the amount of racism being displayed towards Chinese and other Asian people in the U.K. It seems to be an excuse for some very nasty xenophobia
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 6:17 pm

You really can't escape from antisocial people who cough and yawn without even covering their mouth in a crowded train or hide on a flight with circulated air. Even if you have a tissue you can't always reach it in time - or dispose of it in a crowd. I am always worried that sneezing into a sleeve could leave a rather unpleasant result :sprout:. Masks are probably best, hand washing essential of course but there are so many shared things that people touch.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » February 10th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Unfortunately some of our Chinese students have reported some nasty incidents including people wanting to move seats in the exam room and not wanting to do group work with them :(
smitch
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 7:53 pm

The racist thing is sad and a bit silly. It has already been shown that people of varying nationality have spread the virus outside China.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 10th, 2020, 8:57 pm

I don't think I can afford to be worried given that I commute into and out of central London every day on very busy trains. Although I suspect I catch most of my colds in the office. Still, I suppose it takes one's mind off worrying about possible terrorist attacks... :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 10th, 2020, 10:23 pm

We have a holiday to Borneo with a stopover in Singapore booked from March 14th for 16 days.
We were thinking very seriously about cancelling it and wondered if we were over-reacting, but the more I read about the spread of the virus the more certain I become that I don't want to go :(
Singapore has 43 cases now and Borneo has some too. Going into the jungle to see orangutans and other wildlife seemed a great idea when we booked last year (still does, at a later date!) but I certainly feel anxious about going at the moment.

Australia has evacuated Aussies trapped in Wuhan and taken them to Christmas Island for the isolation period. They are in a camp built for 'boat people' refugees they didn't want landing on the Mainland.
Christmas Island is about 1,500km from mainland Australia - so that should be OK :lol: :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » February 10th, 2020, 10:41 pm

I think we should all be very cautious but take as many precautions as possible. I have always been aghast at the amount of women I have seen in supermarket loos exiting cubicles without washing their hands but then note the amount of empty soap dispensers and even if you have washed your hands you invariably have to open the main exit door (personally I put my hand inside my sleeve to do so) but most do not.

My OH works in Central London- travels on public transport every day and spends at least one week a month travelling to Europe, The planes are quickly turned around, what about all the people that have handled his baggage, the staff in all the hotels he stays in, the partners that attend the events from all corners of the world, the poor souls on zero hours contract who drag themselves into work feeling unwell who may well stack supermarket shelves or pack your Amazon order etc.etc. I personally leave the house once a week to get the weekly shop and push a shopping trolley (has it ever been washed let alone disinfected) and use a hand held scanner to scan and shop before physically entering details into a keypad that had probably never been cleaned. You can therefore see how easily viruses and bacteria can be transmitted
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 10th, 2020, 11:32 pm

I've been wondering about people like the coach drivers and air crew who have been hired on the charter flights to transport nationals of other countries from China. They must had to have gone through the same quarantine procedures as the passengers. I noticed the coaches on TV when the first flight came into the UK, they were from ordinary coach companies local to the area.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 11th, 2020, 8:03 am

But again, how easy is it to get it? Is being in fleeting contact with something that someone who is infected has touched very likely to give you the virus? I think if this were the case, many more people here would have it already. But I suppose it depends on how long the virus lasts on surfaces.
I will be more worried if/when it becomes more widespread and I still have to go into central London. But even if I were allowed to work from home (very unlikely), my husband, my usual source of infections, won't, and indeed I would worry about him more than me, should either of us get it, with his wheezing.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 8:18 am

As things stand I think you'd still be extremely unlucky to get it from a passing stranger, even on public transport. If it gets worse I think further guidelines /instructions would be put into place which people would be required to follow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 11th, 2020, 8:22 am

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2020, 12:08 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 11th, 2020, 12:13 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby smitch » February 11th, 2020, 3:14 pm

smitch
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 11th, 2020, 3:20 pm

We are a bit in the same boat as Rainbow, an around Japan cruise in mid April. All cruises up until the end of March have been cancelled, I’m just waiting to see what happens. We are insured if we had to cancel but only get our money back if the cruise line cancels the trip or the Foreign Office recommendation is not to travel.

It’s a wait and see at the moment.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby wargarden » February 11th, 2020, 3:47 pm

corona beer sales are down do to the outbreak.
not serious lose since it tastes horrid.
wargarden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 11th, 2020, 3:48 pm

One of my Facebook friends newly retired has just been on a cruise. Singapore was one of the stops. He came back last weekend and started a fluey sort of cold yesterday. Rang the GP who said there was nothing to worry about. He's just had a call saying the GP wants him to ring 111 immediately. :?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 11th, 2020, 7:08 pm

It seems that Chinese restaurants in the USA are largely empty.

When the H1N1 virus started in the USA, did everyone avoid Macdonalds?
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » February 11th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2020, 1:19 am

It has finally got its own proper name - Covid-19
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2020, 6:39 am

When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 12th, 2020, 7:36 am

We are on Celebrity Millennium. They have cancelled and changed all itineraries until the end of March. It’s a wait and see situation.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 12th, 2020, 11:05 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2020, 3:22 pm

The problem here is that you have to take a flight to get on or off the island. You cannot keep a 2 metre distance from someone on an aircraft, as for airports :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2020, 6:00 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 13th, 2020, 12:22 am

I fear that this outbreak is not going to stop soon. However, the entire world is on red alert, so any serious outbreaks will be treated promptly.
I avoided Bird Flu, SARS, Zika and all the other blighters - except Dengue. I´ve had it twice. The first time, it came and went and I was out for about 10 days. Not pleasant, but bearable.
The second time ( a slightly different strain) it hit me hard. 3 days with a high fever, no desire to eat whatsoever, a killer headache -horrible.
I just hope it never makes it to Venezuela, where health care and sanitation in general are currently at 19th century levels. PLUS we´ve got all the insects in the world , especially mosquitoes, which might just complicate matters.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 13th, 2020, 12:24 am

" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 13th, 2020, 10:02 am

A colleague who has just got back from Japan is 'self isolating' with a cough and sore throat... She's not contacted any medical authorities. I suppose a fever is the crucial thing?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2020, 10:19 am

Herbi, she should contact 111, not because they will tell her to do anything different but because they will probably be able to tell her which changes in symptoms she should act on. Which I trust she won’t experience
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 13th, 2020, 1:59 pm

She has and is now under 'house arrest'.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 13th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I'm taking OH to Northwick Park Hospital this afternoon. Hope nothing is catching there!! :o ...

... but she's only being interviewed on hospital radio. Something about her music career and music in Harrow generally. I don't know any more details, like whether it's live or recorded.

http://www.radioharrow.org/tuning_in/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2020, 2:23 pm

i think i heard on the very late news, last night, that china has said that the rate of infection (transmission?) is slowing down.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 13th, 2020, 2:47 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » February 13th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I wonder how that’s going to effect Uber drivers if which one it was is unknown.
Would any in an uber area, here, take the risk?
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 13th, 2020, 8:18 pm

According to local news Uber have suspended the driver but not for disciplinary reasons as no instructions had been given. Presumably this is so his car will not be used.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 13th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Our cruise around Japan has been cancelled by the operator, whilst I’m a bit disappointed I’m also very relieved. I have spent today cancelling flights, transfers, hotels, tours etc as we were staying in Tokyo pre cruise. Insurance will hopefully cover any losses, the flights being the main concern, i’ll relax when the refund hits my credit card!

We will holiday somewhere else.

Have you cancelled your trip Rainbow?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 14th, 2020, 3:40 pm

I thought Uber had had their licence revoked anyway... clearly not.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 14th, 2020, 4:25 pm

This seems to happen every time Über’s licence is up for renewal - the Mayor’s office refuse to renew and Über go to court to challenge the grounds, trading while the case continues
Über Eats is unaffected
StokeySue
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop