[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Coronavirus threat

Coronavirus threat

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Coronavirus threat

Postby scullion » February 14th, 2020, 5:46 pm

is calling it 'over eats' a bit tongue in cheek‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 14th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 14th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 14th, 2020, 10:56 pm

Cruise liners were described this week as "floating petri dishes"... :o :o :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » February 15th, 2020, 12:10 am

Yeuch! Good description! :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 15th, 2020, 9:42 am

Yes international conferences do rather seem like a bad idea when you are trying to slow down a glocal epidemic...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 15th, 2020, 10:33 am

in this day and age it seems a bit unnecessary to travel the world for conferences - i think it's an excuse for a jolly.
maybe more people will think twice and use video conferencing, more, in the future. it was mooted at the one we went to in faro.
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 15th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Though no worse than any other sort, of course, it seems particularly inappropriate to fly people around the world for a climate conference.

Edited to correct punctuation :rolleyes:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 15th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Was just trying to get some antibacterial hand gel. Waitrose and Sainsburys out. Boots online out of the four types I looked at. Amazon charging rip off prices. Superdrug have some big ones left.
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 15th, 2020, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 15th, 2020, 4:07 pm

use vodka?
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 15th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Marks and Spencer still have it round here.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 15th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Smelling of vodka would not go down well at work!

I have managed to order a large bottle and will decant it into a small one for OH next week. (I have some at the moment - I always carry a small bottle anyway.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 15th, 2020, 7:18 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 15th, 2020, 9:41 pm

Even so...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 25th, 2020, 6:10 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 25th, 2020, 8:16 am

I don't think we are going to starve. My cupboards are never ever bare. I have the opposite problem. Ironically (maybe), we are currently trying to run down stocks as things go past their dates and end up being binned if I am not careful. Partly to do with the geometry of the cupboard.
It is true, though, that whenever anyone mentions stockpiling it's like a switch is flipped and instantly I begin to think "Should I also...?"
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2020, 9:05 am

There's a lot of truth in the article. If one's locality was suddenly deemed a quarantine area the reality would hit very soon. Then there are utility workers - could they go to work? Would we have our usual electricity and water supplies? I don't own a mask either, and what about regular prescriptions and that sort of thing? As for food, many modern houses are quite small and not designed for stockpiling even meagre rations for whole families if they had to last a few weeks. Most people without a special pantry, garage or basement would find it hard to manage for a prolonged period (I worked with a girl who had an immaculate flat and ordered 3 meals a day via Deliveroo - she wouldn't last long :lol:).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 25th, 2020, 10:05 am

I have just read the latest recommendation that people who have returned from certain places (parts of Italy, Iran & Korea) should 'self isolate' for 2 weeks. The list is growing. What arrangements are in place to help people, apart, possibly, from statutory sick pay in some cases? These people are not officially sick and may be self-employed etc.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » February 25th, 2020, 11:09 am

We’ve just been discussing this. We’ve booked a holiday to the Balkans in early May. However, we fly into Verona and were planning a couple of nights in Trieste before heading to Slovenia.

That part of Italy has been affected and emails at my OH’s company advise people not to go. If we do go, and there is no FCO advice against travel to the region, we’re not sure where he would stand if later he had to quarantine himself.

Hopefully the situation will have improved by the time we go, but we were thinking about delaying booking the rest of our accommodation just in case.
smitch
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 25th, 2020, 11:17 am

KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 11:23 am

I know how to access several tonnes of potatoes, carrots and onions ... We’ll live on soup. ;)
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 25th, 2020, 5:03 pm

if it hits down here there will be enough dry stuff in the house to keep us going for quite a while - my partner will not complain that there's too much food here for a change - and we have plenty of nettles and dandelions for fresh greens!

the cats will have to do with takeaways.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 25th, 2020, 5:17 pm

I was wondering about pet food. Our cat will only eat one flavour of one specific brand. I wonder how long it will be before he realises he's going to starve.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 25th, 2020, 5:22 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 25th, 2020, 9:34 pm

What's wrong with the right one?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 25th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I still have quite a lot of Brexit cat food...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 25th, 2020, 9:37 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » February 26th, 2020, 8:08 am

also, as most people are right handed they'd need that to prep food for the animal so using a crutch with their left hand would be needed.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2020, 11:02 am

:D Possibly you are crediting our feline overlords with too much foresight and intelligence.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 26th, 2020, 4:41 pm

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned coronavirus, that may come from animals.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 26th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Someone who goes to the same craft group as OH, is a professional singer on cruise ships. Last week her fare was paid to Australia to join a ship, sailing westward However, no ports were prepared to allow it in, so she was ferried ashore in South Africa and is now back in the UK. Presumably, ports are wary of a ship docking that might be stuck for a fortnight.

One of our daughters and partner are booked to fly to the Canaries next week, not Tenerife. At the moment they are following advice, prepared to lose money rather than take a risk, but both are very fit - cycle hire already organised. Mid fifties.

Another daughter, a couple of weeks ago, booked flights to Australia in November with two day stop over in Hong Kong. We assume it will all be over by there. Let’s hope so.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 26th, 2020, 4:55 pm

dennispc
Registered

Postby scullion » February 26th, 2020, 5:58 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » February 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 27th, 2020, 11:39 am

Thanks miss mouse, so it could be the other way round, the cruise company not wanting to pay for extra berthing. When we did a Med cruise it was made very clear, the time the ship was leaving was the time it would be leaving - no waiting for latecomers. At Gibraltar, two ladies could be seen running, as far as they were able with all their shopping, down the quayside as the ship's lines were being cast off, somehow the crew managed to get them across the gap.

Back to topic, a couple we know had booked a lovely trip to Singapore etc., the day before they were due to leave, it was cancelled. Fortunate, as they will get their money back.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 27th, 2020, 12:03 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2020, 12:14 pm

As I understand it, Coronavirus is a ‘family’ of viruses that have been around and mutating for a while ... Covid 19 is just one of them.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2020, 12:19 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » February 27th, 2020, 12:31 pm

hmm, now it's thought that it could be biphasic - not good with all of those 'recovered' people being released from quarantine.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Another one sent home from work to isolate, today. Again had been in the office all week after getting back from holiday, this time from northern Italy. However this is on the back of Company guidelines issued today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 27th, 2020, 3:02 pm

I hear that Rickmansworth school has closed as a precaution. Some staff and pupils returned from a half term skiing trip to Italy, and are being tested. But it's likely to reopen soon. It's only about 4 miles from here, and less than a mile from Patsy's shop. :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2020, 3:06 pm

DS has been contacted by his GP asking him to collect a couple of months’ worth of his regular prescription meds ... they’re largely a rural practice and want to free up GPs and nurses to do home visits to the sick elderly if Coronavirus spreads. Seems sensible.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2020, 3:40 pm

My colleagues are only a few feet away, aero!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 27th, 2020, 4:04 pm

Time to stay at home? :o

There's been a suggestion that people might isolate themselves if they are well, if the virus spreads widely.

It's quite worrying how mobile people are these days. I went to Bicester Village a couple of weeks ago and mixed with people from the far east. I went to a family birthday party and the family are involved with Chelsea FC and have travelled all over Europe. This week they have been to Munich. This season they have been to Russia, Azerbaijan, Spain, Italy, etc. I went to a car club meet and people came to it from all over the area, but also from Northampton, Essex. Oxfordshire and Suffolk. I'm planning trips to Southampton next week and Devon the week after. Then there's the summer car club meetings in Somerset and Denmark.

Perhaps I should cancel and lock myself in the cupboard under the stairs...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » February 27th, 2020, 4:12 pm

DS has been contacted by his GP practice to pick up a couple of months’ supply of his regular prescription meds early ... they are a largely rural practice and they want to free the GPS and nurses up to do home visits to sick elderly should Coronavirus hit the area.
Last edited by suffolk on February 27th, 2020, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Not allowed to stay at home, aero. But if anyone tests positive we might be sent home. Maybe. Most recent guy is not being tested, as no symptoms. The other person was and it was negative. But I supposed we have to get used to these little scares.

Last night it was sardimes time on the train. I was thinking, if/when the epidemic gets to London, I might have waited for the next train.

I was also wondering, if I had to self isolate, how I would get my thyroid meds. I can't see my medical practise allowing me to get more in advance. Weirdly, even though I am on them for life, they won't let me have more than two month's worth in one go. The reason given was not a valid one.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » February 27th, 2020, 4:47 pm

dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2020, 4:48 pm

The NHS is reluctant to give more than 2 months of anything, I think because actual experience shows that giving more increases wastage - people lose it; stockpile it unnecessarily and it goes out of date; give it to friends and family; a better or cheaper version is released so it could be replaced; it gets stored next to heat sources and ruined; and so on
While you might do none of those things, a general policy has to be general or there’d be no advantage in in allowing repeat prescriptions.
It also blows the practice budget if they give you £100 of stuff on a day when you only need £50
They may have to change the policy to reduce traffic through the system in a pandemic
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2020, 5:10 pm

The cheaper element is the one that makes the most sense here, and I had assumed it was a financial thing. I used to get it in 6, then 3 month lots.

At least now I can get it delivered to Boots in town. Before I had to go 2 miles up the road to either the doctor's or a chemist which shut before I could get there after work.

My mother seems to get hers delivered on a weekly basis... I suppose they think she might die at any moment...
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop