[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Swedish almond cake/ toscakaka

Swedish almond cake/ toscakaka

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Swedish almond cake/ toscakaka

Postby KC2 » March 9th, 2020, 11:28 am

I am planning to make this cake https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/f ... ake-recipe but am really wondering if the double cream in the topping is necessary?
I have single cream and yogurt, but don't want to buy a whole pot of double cream specially for 25g!

My feeling is that single cream would be fine, what do you think?

Thx :tu:
KC2
Registered

Re: Swedish almond cake/ toscakaka

Postby scullion » March 9th, 2020, 11:37 am

i think that maybe reduce the (single) cream to 15-20g and add another 10-5g of butter with the cream to equal up the fat content that the double cream would have had - if you see what i mean.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2020, 11:51 am

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » March 9th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Thank you both! I'm afraid I didn't think about the marzipan and just bought bog standard Sainsbury's ... which is only 25% :(

In the unlikely event of me needing to buy it again I'll know what to look for, although, as you say, Suelle, it may not be easy to get the good stuff!
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » March 9th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Well, it's made now, and cooling in the tin ...
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 9th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » March 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Do let us know what its like! It looks lovely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 9th, 2020, 4:25 pm

Will do! I'll try and post a pic as well ...
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 10th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Well, the taste was great (I added some almond essence to the topping after Suelle pointed out how little almond was actually in the marzipan!)

I wasn't quite sure what texture to expect. It is very dense and quite moist. I'm not sure that "cake" is a good description! Not over sweet despite the marzipan.

I would definitely recommend it in terms of an easy, unfussy recipe- which is exactly what I wanted! And it tastes good! It's almost simpler than my other great standby, Claudia Roden's orange and almond cake - which is also not really a "cake" in the usual sense! and I will certainly make it again. It needed longer than the suggested 6-8 mins to brown, once I'd added the topping.

I've finally worked out how to shrink photos so they post easily so you can see for yourselves how it came out :lol: I'd be interested to find out what you think if anyone else decides to try it! I'll post a link and a pic on the What have you baked today? thread as well.
Attachments
Slice of toscakaka.jpg
Slice of toscakaka.jpg (214.94 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Finished toscakaka.jpg
Finished toscakaka.jpg (38.97 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Cooling toscakaka.jpg
Cooling toscakaka.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 10th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Well done! Looks like my kind of thing!

I Googled this cake, and, looking at the images, there seems to be a wide variety of cake bases used. Some look like this recipe and some look much lighter.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby earthmaiden » March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm

It looks lovely - with that topping! I hadn't registered that the cake used ground almonds. I found some of the comments below the recipe in the Guardian interesting. The use of baking powder to lighten it was mentioned. I've never used baking powder with ground almonds (which are being called 'almond flour' in low carb recipes!) and don't know if it works well or not. Almond cakes can be a bit claggy sometimes.

This one has a seal of approval anyway!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 10th, 2020, 3:07 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 10th, 2020, 4:14 pm

I’ve just made it! Haven’t tasted it yet, but it looks and smells good. My topping is maybe a little too brown...
Very quick and easy to make.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 10th, 2020, 4:32 pm

It is delicious...just the sort of cake I like...moist and quite dense, but not heavy, and not sickly sweet.
I think you could have it as a pudding cake with whipped cream or maybe stewed fruit.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 10th, 2020, 10:32 pm

Just an ordinary one...I make my own marzipan at Christmas, but always have a emergency bought one on standby... a Tesco one this time. I will freeze the rest in portions for further cakes.
After our tasting test, I served the rest as a pud for the visiting family tonight after a big roast beef dinner, and they all loved it (served with pouring cream)
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 11th, 2020, 10:37 am

Good idea re freezing the marzipan in portion sizes, patpoyntz :tu:
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop