[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Things to do while self-isolating

Things to do while self-isolating

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Things to do while self-isolating

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2020, 1:26 pm

It occurred to me we are all going to be at home for a while with nobody eavesdropping or looking at us
So we have a chance to get around to all those things we wouldn’t normally do

So (not very seriously) I have been starting to compile a list of things one might do with 4 months on your hands

1. Grow out a fringe
2. Practise the saxophone, or any other instrument that sounds awful in the early stages
3. Catalogue your cook books
4. Finally learn to use that exercise thingummy that lives in the corner

That’s a start, what else?
StokeySue
Registered

Re: Things to do while self-isolating

Postby Seatallan » March 18th, 2020, 1:28 pm

Learn to knit. Been meaning to for years. :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Practising the saxophone might be dodgy. To be safe you would have to use a new reed each time you played. New reeds have to be broken in by practice and so that wouldn't happen. Good reeds are expensive. :o :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » March 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Find a new series on Netflix etc to binge watch

Do a full inventory of your cupboards /fridge/freezer , pretty practical idea in these times

Look online for some exercise videos to do

Gardening/DIY

Do more time intensive cooking , especially baking
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2020, 1:46 pm

I could get my descant recorder out ... that sort of thing is good exercise for the lungs ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 18th, 2020, 1:48 pm

I've spent the morning starting to build a concrete step by the shed. I couldn't do it before because our cars would drive across it two or three times a day. Now I can to do it unmolested... :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2020, 1:50 pm

@PepperPig Why would you need to use a new reed every time? If the instrument doesn’t leave the house and nobody else plays it, it only has your germs on it and you can continue using it, just as you continue to reuse your toothbrush day after day
Last edited by StokeySue on March 18th, 2020, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Allow my grey hair to grow out.
Learn Cantonese.
Watch all the Star Wars films in order (I've never seen one).
Ration Wildfood time ;).
Lose weight and emerge with grey hair and wonderful figure .. :lol:.

What I actually have planned is to write the family history I have half started and dig out photos and documents to go with it. I really want to do that and get everything in order. I usually start getting absorbed in it at about 11pm and then go to bed too late - but it won't matter!

Suffs - The Artist really doesn't deserve that :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 18th, 2020, 2:13 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby smitch » March 18th, 2020, 2:23 pm

My husband is also working from home after today so my goal is not to commit murder when we’re together 24/7 :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Train the new Tunisian cat to stop attacking the dog? :?

Declutter, although the virus would have to last at least 2 years for that to happen. :cry:

In reality I feel for my 29 year old son who is banged up with us two old codgers. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm

If I was to take up something new it would probably be tackling housework seriously! But there's far less incentive to do anything when you know no-one is going to see the state of the house.

Although - carrying that thought through the crisis, if the worst happened, would I want my children to have to deal with it. :?
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 3:40 pm

The National Trust is relaxing its charges.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020 ... ng-walking
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 18th, 2020, 4:10 pm

aero280
Site Admin

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 4:18 pm

I think it was Suelle who said to me that all the extra pressure on the internet is not going to help matters.

I'm really missing my live sport. :(
Last edited by Pepper Pig on March 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 18th, 2020, 4:20 pm

:lol: I'm learning to play the tin whistle. I'm surprised how difficult it is to get a pure note, compared to when I played the recorder, a thousand years ago. I was good at it so had foolishly imagined I'd have no trouble.

Serious bit - I read somewhere, that it was a good dementia help to take up something new, as we age. Two of the suggestions were learning a new language and taking up a musical instrument. I've always been good at cryptic crosswords, and have been doing them for over 55 years, so I thought that would stand me in good stead. Apparently not - all I'm doing is using the skills I've always had, and not stretching myself as much as I'd imagined.

Back to the whistle - my neighbours are worried. I've told them it's the first step before taking up the bagpipes. :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Sudoku is supposed to be good for keeping the brain alive.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Re taking up a new instrument. You really do need expert advice and a lot of trial and error. You should know the pitfalls of having an older body and constitution than an eight year old. On the plus side you should be able to read music much more easily.

Am open to offers. Online lessons only of course. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2020, 4:45 pm

I was thinking really of people who had started but drifted away from it, so could self-improve

But mainly I had a housemate who took up the saxophone. He had a decent instrument and a teacher but it took months before there was any sign of music. Self-isolation would have appealed.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2020, 5:17 pm

I have already seen online lessons for both singing and drumming advertised.

Anyone who could teach me to sing or play Sudoko would deserve a medal.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Yes. I wouldn't be learning singing either.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 18th, 2020, 5:33 pm

An old George Burns quip.

"I like to drink Scotch, and I like to sing. My friends like to listen to me drink Scotch."
Gruney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 18th, 2020, 5:41 pm

I have a jigsaw to do
I am using Duolngo to learn Welsh (but don't expect to practise it face to face very soon!)
I am still painting
I am still walking the dogs.

We moved the caravan closer to home, fortuitously, last October and have had to do a lot of work on site. Now finished and cost us a lot of money. I just hope we get to enjoy it. We are going Friday, for a long weekend, with some steak that was in the freezer and a bottle of fine English sparkling wine left over from Christmas and a mottley assortment of other food.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 18th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Apparently the BBC are giving us exercise videos aimed at oldies to keep us spry

For some reason I immediately thought of the late Eileen Fowler
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 18th, 2020, 7:02 pm

The pilates/exercise place I stopped going to 18 months ago has put out a 10 minute workout. I tried it tonight - it reached parts that walking doesn't and my knee wasn't very happy with the lunges :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 18th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Showing your age there Sue! I thought of The Green Goddess. :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 18th, 2020, 7:10 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 18th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Last edited by PatsyMFagan on March 18th, 2020, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 18th, 2020, 7:18 pm

PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 18th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Well obviously, I will be working. But in a slight fantasy world I would end up with an amazing garden, which would have the extra benefit of involving exercise and calming my fevered mind. On the learning front, get to grips with some photography related things - software and technical stuf - plus a few silly projects. Write - I have about a dozen short story ideas/semi-written stories, plus maybe a children's book (although not my first love). Sort the house out. It's a mess. (Would actually enjoy sorting out the books and resdiscovering them/find ones that are awol.) Scan all of old family photos and documents. (I have some precious 19th century ones but all the slides from the 60s too.) Swat up on French. (I don't trust Duolingo's pronunciation btw. Some of their French is plain wrong.)
These, though, are all things I already do, and basically my retirement/sabbatical wish list. (Glad my sabbatical is not this year.)
Extras: master my sewing machine (had been toying with the idea of lessons this summer.) But don't know where I'd do it as husband has taken over the only viable space for owrk... unless I do it in his bedroom :)
learn to draw?! I am hopeless but would be pleased if I could beceome competant.
Read a load of Dickens. Only read Dombey and Son.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 18th, 2020, 9:03 pm

We three at the Grasshopper household have a list of things to do:
Sort the garden out and get ready for the new tomato plants
chop up the pile of wood we have in the garden (the remains of our old potting shed)
Spring clean the house, which includes clearing out LOADS of unwanted stuff for the charity shop
Try not to argue with each other :lol:
Keep up with the shopping and keep stocks of essentials, (bread, milk, fresh veg, cat food, etc) topped up, just in case any or all of us fall poorly and we can't get out.

Can't go to any museums, cinemas or the theatre - they are all shut! :x
And we are due to see the Lion King at our local theatre in 6 weeks! :o
:shock:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby uschi » March 18th, 2020, 11:03 pm

They shut the bookshops, too ... there are loud (and justified) protests because of that. Amazon can still deliver .. :rolleyes:
uschi
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 19th, 2020, 12:36 am

I have just been told that the local service at St James the Apostle, Bushey will be live streamed. It's a communion service. Four people will attend the church. The priest. The server. The organist, and the choir. The choir will be OH singing it all on her own... :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby karadekoolaid » March 19th, 2020, 1:14 am

" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 19th, 2020, 1:36 am

My house is not too big, but I do have an enormous garden. Most of it is grass, with a few trees interspersed. there´s a summer house up the top, where my kids used to have wild parties until 3am. Alas, no more - they left the country five years ago.
So next to the summer house, I started digging. One day at a time; I´m going to do something like an "allotment" and grow all sorts of vegetables. I went at it like a lunatic last Saturday; and then could barely move on Sunday. So I sat down and thought - I´m going to have plenty of time, so let´s take it easy. Today I dug for about 45 minutes, then stopped. Tomorrow, depending on how I feel, I might, I might not.
The plan , then, is to do everything little by little, but I can´t spend all day in the garden. I´ve made a list of all the other silly bits and pieces that need doing. I´m ticking them off one by one; but they include things like " Read "I, Claudius" again; organise all those photos I´ve got in my mobile; clean out the cupboard under the stairs, etc.
Making a list of things to do, and bringing it up to date on a daily basis helps.
I may be cutting the grass with a pair of nail scissors after 4 months, but at the moment, I´m taking things one day at a time. This plague may well last 4 months.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby scullion » March 19th, 2020, 10:01 am

another site for (kindle) and an excellent free program from a to another format if yours is not a kindle.

you should look at charles dowding's website, kk. the no-dig way of gardening - much easier and just as productive.

another thing to do is to Skype or FaceTime a coffee with a friend/friends.

ps. i've just looked through a load of the free kindle books and it seems they may have changed their definition of 'free'. it used to be that they were free, now it seems most are free to kindle/audible subscribers - there's always project gutenberg!
Last edited by scullion on March 19th, 2020, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 19th, 2020, 11:13 am

I find that I’m lacking motivation. I have a long list of things to do at home, cleaning cupboards, reading, Netflix, making bread etc and I just can’t get going.

I think I’m probably in denial. I’m only three days in! Usually I’m quite happy to potter around at home but since someone has told me I can’t freely go out I ’m like a petulant teenager. I’m really resenting my OH who is charging around shopping and running errands for various households........that should be me, I’m the do-er. My sister says she is finding it liberating, I’m like a caged tiger.

Ho, hum, I’ll get there.

BB
Last edited by Busybee on March 19th, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busybee
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 19th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Now I've finished the Private Eye crossword, I think I'll have a snooze. It's all go here.
Gruney
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 19th, 2020, 2:04 pm

I'm at home, trying to do things, but I feel as if I'm "off sick" and mostly just sitting around. As you say it's an odd feeling of being more or less OK but thinking you are a bit sick.

It was brighter here yesterday and I built the bottom step tat drop down from the shed. I was going to do a bit more outside today, but despite the forecast saying dry, but with a 10% chance of rain, it's been drizzling solidly all day. :(

Still, it's nearly time to watch Countdown, Tenable, Tipping Point, Pointless and House of Games. Most are repeats, but the first showing seems to have been last year when we were on holiday, so still new to me.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » March 19th, 2020, 3:39 pm

You could do worse than watch this video every day
Yes, it’s a kitty video, but it transcends the genre, it’s art
Foodycat posted it on Twitter
Keep a close eye on the milk drinker

StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » March 19th, 2020, 4:25 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 19th, 2020, 4:41 pm

Wonderful!! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 19th, 2020, 5:00 pm

Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 19th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I find Sudoku quite frustrating, if I solve it I simply think I should, if not I beat myself up for not concentrating. By contrast, cryptic crosswords are a minor victory for each clue solved. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 19th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Don't forget the free OU courses I mentioned a while back. This could be the prefect time.

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 19th, 2020, 10:40 pm

earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2020, 12:15 am

this is an extract from an email from the zooniverse team-

if any of you would like to distract yourselves by taking part and contributing to one of our projects, we’ve made it easier to find a new project to dive into. The top of our projects page now highlights selected projects – they will change frequently, and might be topical, timely, particularly in need of your help – or just our favourites!
https://www.zooniverse.org/projects?utm ... e19mar2020 a good time to help with some science projects.

there are loads of things i'd like to do but i probably won't get round to - brush up on languages, learn sign language, learn a bit more bobbin lacemaking (i've had the equipment for years), knit myself a pair of slippers
plus a few other things!
scullion
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop