[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Things to do while self-isolating

Things to do while self-isolating

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things to do while self-isolating

Postby uschi » March 20th, 2020, 8:06 am

It is spring ... those who have a garden or balcony might want to build an insect hotel. The insects will love you for that. Many of the ingredients are easily picked up.
Even if you don't have much, and it won't be fancy, a small terrakotta pot filled with bamboo sticks, reeds or whatever will do the job. I have a flowerpot with some bamboo sticks glued in ... all of them are taken every summer.
uschi
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 20th, 2020, 10:10 am

Lovely idea Uschi! :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 20th, 2020, 3:51 pm

I have decided that in the next few days I am going to make the Dan Lepard 'Saffron Peach Cake' recipe which has been pinned to my kitchen notice board waiting to be tried since 2009 8-). Sansburys only had peach slices rather than halves but I'm sure it will taste the same.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 20th, 2020, 4:49 pm

for those with children and grandchildren - every morning at nine, live on youtube, for half an hour.
scullion
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 23rd, 2020, 10:16 pm

We are giving the house a thorough Spring-clean - and I MEAN thorough! LOADS of stuff is being put aside for the local charity shop (whenever it is allowed to re-open), a lot of old, well-worn clothes and other stuff is going in the bin, everywhere will be getting sorted out and scrubbed,

Then we will start the outside, sorting the shed out and preparing the greenhouse for this year's crops.
Lots to do - so we ain't bored.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 23rd, 2020, 11:02 pm

Our shed is on our list too. Need a good spell of dry weather though. I am sure there's lots of equipment in there I have forgotten I have.

I have already made a start on the garden, but most time will be taken up with work.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 24th, 2020, 1:08 am

Make a list of all the things you have to, or want to do.
Then re-read it!!!
I started the self-isolation cooking everything in sight, but then realised there was no way I was going to eat all this stuff in one day.
So after 10 days of self-isolation, I have decided to take things very, very easy. After all, I may be here for another 2 months. So I keep moving my list, adding new things, removing those items which are "done".
No panic, because there´s no deadline - it´s quite likely we´ll be confined for two months at least.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 24th, 2020, 8:41 am

I don't mind being on my own and feel so fortunate I retired last year with an income as I would have been a key worker through this. There are so many things I want to do and my days have become so relaxing without any of the pressures of outside life. The sun's out, I can get up when I like and not hurry, people ring up and chat for a while and I choose little chores or interests to tackle each day. I feel more calm and happy than I have for a long time ... probably mostly because the sun's out. I feel so fortunate, I just hope that those less fortunate get the help they need and that people obey the rules to make things a bit easier for key workers :kneel:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » March 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

uschi
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 24th, 2020, 3:04 pm

This morning,I built myself a small workbench in the corner of the shed. After clearing the shed yesterday, I found enough scrap wood and offcuts to do it. :)

IMG_2957.JPG
aero280
Site Admin

Postby KC2 » March 24th, 2020, 3:07 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 24th, 2020, 4:00 pm

Wow.... :D :tu: :kneel:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 24th, 2020, 4:28 pm

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 24th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Me too! :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 24th, 2020, 5:08 pm

WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 24th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 24th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » March 24th, 2020, 6:20 pm

why do i keep reading the title of this thread as 'things to do while self-loathing'‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 24th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Gruney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 24th, 2020, 6:53 pm

" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby wargarden » March 25th, 2020, 7:54 am

sadly i can't self isolate since i am a critical infrastructure employee.
but i made 5 cakes, fixed 3 light switches and 3 drains, in last 3 weeks
when not at work.
wargarden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 25th, 2020, 10:34 am

Good work wargarden! I think many of us on forced isolation are learning to pace the 'to do' lists in the knowledge that, unless it is something urgent like a blocked drain, that deadlines matter less and it really doesn't matter if a job is not completed in a day as long as you've achieved something towards it. It is so liberating, mainly because you know everyone's in the same boat so there is no need for guilt you haven't done something nor jealousy that others are doing things you can't. Of course my thoughts often turn to the wonderful key workers and less fortunate who cannot experience this.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 25th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Today’s jobs have been a deep clean of the bathroom and down stairs cloakroom. OH has spring cleaned the lounge.

I’m awaiting a tesco delivery, I wonder what will arrive and what substitutions have been used. I saw on twitter that an elderly couple had ordered three lemons, they were delivered three honeydew melons as a sub! Not sure what you could do with melons other than use as a fruit?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2020, 1:07 pm

i'm sure there's a gin cocktail that they could make - now they've got no lemon to put in their gin!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2020, 1:15 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm

the down here has turned over its gin distillery to producing hand sanitiser and is supplying treliske 100l a week for free.
good for them - maybe we should all donate our spare alcohol (no - don't hit me! - or say what spare alcohol!).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Yes, Adnams at Southwold has done the same. We were given vouchers for a guided tour of the Adnams gin distillery for Christmas ... a guided tour of a hand sanitiser production line doesn't sound so appealing somehow ..... even if we could go :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop