Sophie Dahl / Sony ebook reader

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Sophie Dahl / Sony ebook reader

Postby suffolksamphire » April 14th, 2010, 2:25 pm

Do you like the Sony Reader Riocaz? I must say I can't see the attraction myself - for me I just love the feel and the look of books and the action of turning a page - just love it :luv:

--edit I split this off so as to keep the existing convo on topic rather than go off on a tangent - Rio
suffolksamphire
Registered

Re: Sophie Dahl / Sony ebook reader

Postby Riocaz » April 14th, 2010, 6:02 pm

I can honestly state that I do not miss paperback novels one IOTA!

Particularly if you read as fast as me (3-5 books a week on average)

Or have a long commute (3 hours a day for me)

No more having to carry 2 giant paperbacks because you are near the end of one. and will finish it before you get home.

No more eye strain because the print in those monstersized paperbacks is the smallest possible font (this is particularly helpful now given my eye problems).

No more having to fill my handluggage with books when I fly out of the country.

The screen (except on the sony touch which is vastly inferior) is so clear and paperlike (the contrast is about the same as newsprint). It's totally unlike reading on an lcd palmtop computer or desktop screen. I really canot recommend them more.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Luca » April 14th, 2010, 6:12 pm

I'm interested in the idea of an ebook reader and also read a heck of a lot but I particularly like reading in the bath or in bed..... Not sure the steamy atmosphere of a bathroom would do it much good though...

Somehow - and yes it's illogical....... but the idea of curling up under the duvet with a book appeals more than with an ebook reader...

If I was doing a long commute or going on a long trip though.... I'd definitely get one.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolksamphire » April 14th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Mmm, I read a lot too, and quickly. Can't read on the train 'tho, get very travel sick if I do that! Still not convinced I'd like an ebook.
suffolksamphire
Registered

Postby virtualraspberry » April 14th, 2010, 7:05 pm

I have not really researched e books/reader but like the sound of them. I live between 2 places and carry books back and forth each week so it would be handy for that. Mind you during the week most of my reading is done whilst in the bath (my chill out time each evening) so as Luca has already said - the E Reader might not be the most practical! ;)
virtualraspberry
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 15th, 2010, 9:19 am

Luca wrote:I'm interested in the idea of an ebook reader and also read a heck of a lot but I particularly like reading in the bath or in bed..... Not sure the steamy atmosphere of a bathroom would do it much good though...

Err no... Though a friend of mine swears by 2 ziploc freezer baggies (she says 2 in case one fails.

Luca wrote:Somehow - and yes it's illogical....... but the idea of curling up under the duvet with a book appeals more than with an ebook reader...

I can honestly say I've noticed little to no difference, except the pile of unread books at my bedside has got smaller.

Luca wrote:If I was doing a long commute or going on a long trip though.... I'd definitely get one.

It's earned it's cost, though eliminating ryanair charges for exceeding cabin allowances :-) LOL.

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby efcliz » April 15th, 2010, 9:41 am

As a librarian I really should know more about this. Can you get almost any book for the reader, Lee, and how do they compare pricewise? I've never fancied one but your enthusiasm is swaying me. Even if I only used it on holiday it would be worth it as i usually take about 20 books with me, leaving no room in the case for anything else. Now I walk to work I don't read as much as I once did, but even just for hols and weekends away it might work.
efcliz
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2010, 12:10 pm

hi, i don't have a 'proper' e-reader but i'm working my way through the 100 classic novels on my nintendo ds. it really cuts down the holiday baggage! the r4 'homebrew' cards you can get for them have an e-reader loaded on (i think) so you can download books from the internet. there are plenty of free books you can download (out of copyright) on sites such as 'the book depository', project gutenberg and the internet archive etc.
another good thing is that you can read under the covers at night!
scullion
Registered

Postby Kavey » April 16th, 2010, 9:42 am

Pete and I bought Sony e-readers (will check model and ge back to you) for our 4 week trip to Falkland Islands recently. We knew there would be a fair bit of down time in evenings etc and couldn't carry enough books because of weight restrictions.

We really really really liked them. Some niggles in design of interface (not being able to mark which books one had read) but very minor.

And so many people (other travellers and locals) were fascinated by them - I know one has already ordered and received his and a few others were looking very keen, wish I'd been on commission!
Kavey
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 16th, 2010, 10:19 am

Kavey wrote:Pete and I bought Sony e-readers (will check model and ge back to you) for our 4 week trip to Falkland Islands recently. We knew there would be a fair bit of down time in evenings etc and couldn't carry enough books because of weight restrictions.

We really really really liked them. Some niggles in design of interface (not being able to mark which books one had read) but very minor.

And so many people (other travellers and locals) were fascinated by them - I know one has already ordered and received his and a few others were looking very keen, wish I'd been on commission!

If you bought them recently they will either be the PRS 600 (The Touch) or the PRS 300 (The pocket) which is smaller and without the touchscreen layer.

I've got the 505, which is the size of the 600 but with the screen from the 300 (or more precisely without the touchscreen layer on top.

I also own a 600, but have gone back to my 505, because the contrast issue with the 600 annoyed me (probably only because I already owned a 505 and know what it should be like)

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby efcliz » April 16th, 2010, 10:24 am

How do you actually buy the books?
efcliz
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 16th, 2010, 10:37 am

Go to www.waterstones.com and they have ebooks available.

Other sites do them as well,but you need to ensure you are buying books in the epub or sony lrf format.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Kavey » April 16th, 2010, 6:05 pm

We bought them recently but went for older model as I preferred it to newer, I'll check which.

I deliberately didn't get touch screen, too fragile and just don't like feel of it anyway.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 16th, 2010, 6:14 pm

No I agree the contrast ratio on the touch is far lower than that of the 505 and the 300/pocket.

The reason is the touchscreen layer, with is also annoyingly reflective.

in fact the only thing I really liked about the touch was the dictionary support.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby suffolksamphire » April 22nd, 2010, 3:32 pm

Just had Radio 4 on in the background, Mariella Frostrup's Open Book. Her guest was asked if he liked using an ebook. He didn't think so. He said, "Some people like virtual sex - I still prefer the real thing." 8-)
suffolksamphire
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2010, 4:31 pm

As someone with eye issues I think all of the manufacturers - Sony, Kindle the lot - have missed a trick

I'm waiting for one that will take the book download and enable me to view it as a high-contrast large-print text - that's what us VIPs need! (VIP = Visually Impaired Person, as well as the other thing!)

Sooner or later it's bound to happen - but so far not :(

Getting rid of the paperbacks would be a help not just for travelling but might let me to declutter generally - in my house it is definitely a case of "books do over-furnish a room"! :o I'd love to remove some of the bookcases and see the floor!

In fact my one problem with this board is that I can't get the font to a decent size

PS what has Mrs Cullum got to do with it?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2010, 4:34 pm

Infact - quick question - can I get eReader software suitable for my 26 inch PC screen?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 22nd, 2010, 4:37 pm

err, that is in fact exactly why I like my reader.

E readers have extremely good contrast comparable to newsprint, and allow you to read at several different font levels, from very small, to huge!

Oh and the original thread was about sophie Dahl, but I split it as we started talking about ebook readers. :-)
Last edited by Riocaz on April 22nd, 2010, 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Riocaz » April 22nd, 2010, 4:55 pm

Oh and you want fb reader:

http://www.fbreader.org/

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2010, 5:09 pm

OK I'll have nother go - I've tried a couple belonging to other peopel and I honestly couldn't adjust them to suit me

I couldn't read yours comfortably! Didn't feel right at all

But full screen reader sounds good thanks
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 22nd, 2010, 6:35 pm

Have you seen my Sony?

If you are thinking of the one I had at the picnic a couple of years back that was an iLiad, and a very different beast.

The sony is a bit smaller but IMO much better

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2010, 7:42 pm

Thanks

I think I saw your Sony at the Dim Sum - but didn't really try it

PS I can read the font fine on this PC - it's the work one that's dodgy I must get access to my admin account so I can fiddle with it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 9:47 am

At the top of the board on the right hand side there is an A (it's straight below the word "search") try clicking on that it will scale the font up a couple of times

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2010, 10:09 am

Thanks Lee - I would never have found the A - but it doesn' t work on this PC
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 23rd, 2010, 10:19 am

Darn :-(

I know what you mean about not finding it it is pretty hidden given the colourscheme of the board.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » March 4th, 2019, 11:03 am

Just finished reading "Driving over Lemon's" (an optomist in Andalucia) by Chris Stewart (ex drummer with Genisis( he left at a very early age & got into Sheep farming
The book is a true account of when he bought a rundown farm in Andalucia with his wife & their trials & tribulations it turning it into a business.
It is a funny, charming read from page one, I loved it, he has a lovely way with word's, I am just about to start his second book " A Parret in the Pepper Tree", hope it is as good as the first
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 4th, 2019, 11:05 am

The second book is just as good a Hicky, I read them when we bought our place in Spain I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 4th, 2019, 11:17 am

As we have returned to this thread, an update, eReaders have got worse and then much better since
My Kindle Paper White was sort of ok for low vision as matte rather than glossy
Now the fonts are much more adjustable, and most reading apps allow you to have white text on black background, which is much better for those of us with difficulties

In fact, even if you have “normal” vision you might want to try the Kindle app on you phone in reverse colour, many people find it much easier to read on a small screen
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » March 4th, 2019, 11:41 am

I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Me too. :tu:
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2019, 1:48 pm

A friend of mine used to live a little further up the track from him.
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 4th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I have also recently read and enjoyed Chris Stewart’s books....I heard one of them serialised on the radio a few years ago, and that was good too. I’m sure I saw a Rick Stein programme a while back where he visited the farm and had lunch there. It was probably in his Spanish series.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 4th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Yes, I remember Rick visiting Chris
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 4th, 2019, 3:23 pm

StokeySue wrote:Yes, I remember Rick visiting Chris

You can read about the visit in one of the books, possibly the Almond Blossom Appreciation Society
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Yes, I remember Rick visiting Chris

You can read about the visit in one of the books, possibly the Almond Blossom Appreciation Society

I did not know of this one I must get it
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop