Naturewatch - today I saw....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Naturewatch - today I saw....

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

There is a pleasant mildness in the air this morning and the sparrows and magpies keep zipping down from my roof to the lawn where I sprinkled some wild bird seed mix since my feeder fell off the window and broke. Spring is certainly in the air!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 9:29 am

I just finished my one hour bird watch. I saw the same two pigeons on a telegraph cable, one seagull flying over and one of the many sparrows in my roof nipping down for some seed! Wow! It's not normally this barren. I mentioned on there we get occasional foxes and grey squirrels, other than that, not much to write home about!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Not today but last weekend...

Snowy bison.jpg
Snowy bison.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Where was that? I presume not in Ware!?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2018, 3:50 pm

:shock:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 27th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Yellowstone Park. Very nice but a bit parky :D, minus 17°F (-28°C) one day.

Yogi & Boo Boo were hibernating, but we saw plenty of other stuff.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 10:58 pm

How lovely! Yellowstone was featured on TV a few days ago and I was in awe throughout the whole one hour. I would put up with those temperatures for that scenery. Beautiful!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 7th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Today I finally finished demolishing the garden shed. It was really rotten and left a pile of soft rotten wood and dust. It was full of worms and bugs.

So my friendly robin came out to feed. Yesterday, when I was there with no camera, there were three robins and a blackbird...

P1010790.JPG

P1010792.JPG
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » February 7th, 2018, 10:58 pm

V sweet :) I had a pair on my feeder today.

Had a heron in the garden again at the weekend. He was perched in the tree in a most unheron-esque pose at one point. (not that I know much about herons.)

40141608561_9a5652839f_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2018, 4:40 am

Cute robin there, I bet it couldn't believe it's luck, like an all you can eat buffet on your shed! Loving the unheron-esque heron photo too!

I am still waiting for my sparrows to realise that they are a mere foot away from loads of seeds in my feeder! I don't even think they are coming down when I am not at home. Someone suggested they might still be able to smell me on it, but it's been over a week so surely any scent has been worn off now, plus do they really smell us on their food? I had an upright feeder quite a distance from any humans once, and no soon as I'd filled it up, they'd be down immediately, and we had cats.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2018, 8:35 pm

How close to the window is it, Tezza? I have never had much luck with things very close, but it's worth persevering.

I enjoyed my mother's birds at the weekend. They are quite close to her window (5ft?) , but the room is reasonably long and no one sits near the window (which is floor to ceiling so affords a good view.) Even after a long time without food being put out (when she's in hospital for example) when I do put food out they come straight away. My birds take a day or too after I've been on holiday. Alas she can't really see them from her chair, and even if she could she has the curtain drawn as she has her commode in there. She does love the birds. She used to listen to bird song records to try and learn more songs when I was little!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2018, 10:28 pm

My feeder is one that sticks to the window itself with a sucker! I have resigned myself to the fact that they aren't going to feed from it and will have to make fat balls with my surplus seed.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Sorry Tezza, I can't remember your set up. Do you have a balcony? A little bit further back might help. I am afraid I had no luck with one of those window feeders.

Some tips here though:

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildl ... 27340.aspx
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 9th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Thanks Herb. It seems I am not alone reading those comments.

I am in a first floor flat. My main window faces the main road and the sparrows are nesting just above it in the roof. They have flown down to ground level for bread but they will not come near the window. I do have a tiny bathroom window out back where it is away from the road but cannot get to it easily enough to reach out and stick it on. Same with my kitchen. Two more communal windows face out the back but I would have to ask others if they minded but can't be bothered with the grief. No I do not have a balcony.

I think it might have something to do with reflection. I imagine if someone had a nice shed away from humans with a window it would be perfect. I might just do the fat ball thing with my seeds instead and stick them up high on our high fence out back.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I had this visitor this morning ... it was so tame (ill ?) that it walked right up to the conservatory doors looking for food. It had to settle for dropped bird seed and in this pic, it was scavenging under the bird feeders .. I had been wondering what kept knocking over a couple of plant pots :? It is almost bald and very sore looking from mange, skinny too ... I have contacted the relevant charity as advised by daughter ... they may want to trap it
Attachments
fox2.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Oooh dear ... that one does look poorly ... glad you've sought some help for him/her.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2018, 11:29 am

I saw our first swallow today, our local birder tells me that it was probably a Barn Swallow, they usually get here about 14th February, it has been entered on the Cyprus record. The four Griffon Vultures that I saw by the Kouris Dam have entered on the local Bird Line.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 17th, 2018, 10:42 am

I just watched three sparrows on my bay window pecking at bread bits I'd sprinkled out for them. Gorgeous little things!

They are all you can hear in all direction. I wonder how many of them there are out there. Probably a dozen or so, but sounds like hundreds.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 9:05 am

Heron again this morning, much nearer the house this time,and I saw him fly over and down to roost next door. I took some pics, but not looked at them yet.

Tezza glad you got your sparrows on the window at last :)

We don't get many sparrows in the garden, but they nest in a little ex-station house right next to the platform at my nearest station. I don't use that station any more (I walk further to go to the next station so I can get a seat :( Things have got strangely so very much busier on the trains in the last six months ) but I used to love seeing them coming and going really throughout the season - squabbling, bringing back twigs etc. babies poking their heads out from under the eaves...).
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2018, 10:10 am

A heron flew past our bedroom window the other day .... this morning a cormorant .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 11:03 am

This is 'mine':

40490374852_f491afac5f_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2018, 11:23 am

:luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 3:29 pm

I was just trying to take a picture of the snow swirling around (!) when I looked down and saw two foxes about 12 feet away (outside: me in). Male and female I think. The female was a beautiful bright red. The male had some sort of wound.They ran off when they noticed me. All the birds and animals going for the food in the cold. Alas I have just put my last bird seed out.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 28th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Herbi ... our blackbirds and thrushes are tucking into porridge oats, raisins and chopped apples ... that means they're leaving the seeds for the smaller birds :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I wonder if he was pausing, there, to cover her back, or was just more confident than her.

I am making assumptions about her gender, of course! This is all a bit distracting :shock: I must focus (on my work)!

I wish I had got the shots more in focus.

26666595628_5901bfb35a_z.jpg

39642708205_ced31a13e7_z.jpg

39827214704_64b945a393_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Alas I don't have any spare fruit to give them. It's the squirrel who's scoffing most of the seeds, though. I wonder where the parakeets have gone. Not seen or heard them today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 28th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Our local blackbird (male) sits on our water feature asking for water. At the moment the feature is frozen so I take a jug out and pour it from the top 'spoon' and it trickles down all of them for the birdies.

I would not encourage the foxes, they are lovely looking I know but are vermin....cause lots of problems. Trouble is people like to look at them in their gardens.....inviting problems.... sorry I know a lot of Wildies will not like to hear this but....

http://www.nfws.org.uk/fox-problems-fox-repellents.html

We had a fox hole in our bank, checked it for habitation, filled it with empty wine bottles and cemented it in. they have been known to attack older or young cats. Mine and fed and locked in for the night. I know it's only 4pm but they hate the weather at present and have cozed down in the lounge.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 4:20 pm

I do keep my cats locked in at night partly because of the foxes. (And partly because of evil humans.) I can't do a lot about the foxes though really, even if I wanted to. I want to feed the birds, and that does mean the potential for foxes, squirrels and rats.
The foxes clearly have a den somewhere nearby, but not in my garden.

Your article does suggest though that foxes are not that dangerous to cats and the risk of disease from them doesn't seem great..
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 28th, 2018, 5:32 pm

A former neighbour of mine some years ago, lovely elderly chap with his own elderly cat, would look after our two outdoor cats whenever we went away. His poor cat came home one day with a huge puncture wound in its face. It quickly became infected. The vet said it looked like a fox wound. Treatment didn't work and the poor thing sadly died.

This thread has reminded me that I was sitting here Sunday night watching TV by the window which looks onto our normally very busy road. Being Sunday evening with hardly any traffic, people or buses, it was deathly quiet. Something caught my eye underneath a street lamp. Two large foxes sauntering along the middle of the road quite slowly as if they owned the place! I didn't think to take a photo. I knew we had them because one night a few months ago I thought I could hear screaming from our garden / parking area. I was reassured by Wildies (and non emergency police...) that it was probably foxes. The only time I have seen one though is a dead one a couple of weeks ago on the pavement here, road markings in blood clearly showing it had been hit by a car. They are a pest but they are very beautiful.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I saw a dead one last week :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 28th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Rumor has it that when urban fox levels become too high they are caught humanely and brought to Salisbury plain and released, guess where they end up ?..... in local villages. I love seeing them on TV but not in my garden, they are chased off, especially as I have chickens.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 1st, 2018, 2:08 am

I just woke for a toilet visit, looked out to check the snow situation, two foxes casually walked past in the same direction as last time, this time dark shapes on a bright white snowy backdrop. I wonder if it was the same two.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 1st, 2018, 6:42 am

Very probably ... I've found they have their established routes and routines ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 1st, 2018, 9:01 am

Amazing ... and it shows how important it is to keep some water available

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment ... -1-5414794
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » March 1st, 2018, 1:03 pm

I have a small flock of 'foreign' birds that's been hanging around for a few hours. Never seen them before, but it looks, from my books, as if they are fieldfare. Like redwings, they do come into gardens in really bad weather, according to the RSPB.

I've been trying to get a photograph, but they are very nervous - just the slightest hint of movement, even from behind glass, and they are frightened off!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » March 1st, 2018, 1:24 pm

A flock of fieldfare make a lovely 'chatter' ... have a listen on the audio clip onhttps://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wil ... ldfarehere

They'll have been travelling westward across Europe ahead of the worst of the weather. I love to see them ... they can strip a hedgerow of berries in the blink of an eye ... I put chopped apple and raisins out for them.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 1st, 2018, 1:52 pm

They're great aren't they? :luv:

Love redwings too. We have loads in park opposite at this time of year especially when weather is chilly.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 2nd, 2018, 2:10 am

suffolk wrote:Amazing ... and it shows how important it is to keep some water available

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment ... -1-5414794

That would have been amazing to see for real! The closest I've been to anything remotely like that is whilst driving through Woburn estate on the way home from work and having to wait for a stag blockade to clear. Sometimes we'd all be sitting there 20 minutes. Beautiful but a little spooky in the dark when they just come out of nowhere! And the stags are incredibly loud!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vej-2CAwee8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2_BS3Xd5kCc

A lone fox just trotted from close to our front door to the house on the opposite side of the road. There'll be footprints in the snow. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 7:32 am

Fox prints in the snow outside here too Tezza ... I can see them from the bedroom window ... checking out the bins ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 2nd, 2018, 8:19 am

Heron again. A crow was mobbing it. It seemed nervous. This time it was about 25 feet away bobbing up and down in a tree-sized shrub like a seagull in the sea. (It's windy and it clearly wasn't quite strong enough for it.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 10:09 am

Our heron is often followed by a couple of crows ... not going to let it anywhere near 'their' oak tree where they nest.

We've got a fieldfare in the garden this morning with the blackbirds .......... I've been putting some rather stale sultanas out there which seem to be to its liking.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2018, 10:27 am

Have spotted fieldfares locally this morning. A couple of bluetits eating from the fatballs. Mr. Z. has restocked our inside stash of logs and broken the ice on the water I put out for the ckx earlier.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 2nd, 2018, 11:03 am

I saw a swallow ten days ago but this morning there was a group of eight, I think that they were checking out their usual nesting site near the car wash

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2018, 11:19 am

Tell any swallows intending to head for the UK that they'd better hold fire for the moment ............ :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Just had a red wing in one of our copper beech trees, quite magnificent.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 2nd, 2018, 11:53 am

I am putting out lots of food for the birds ... I really don't like feeding the pigeons, jack daws and parakeets, but I can't discriminate ;) What makes me chuckle is that the black birds are more interested in fighting it out amongst themselves for nesting/mating territory, so they wait in the surrounding shrubbery when I am putting out the food - the other birds fly off as soon as I venture into the conservatory :rolleyes: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 2nd, 2018, 12:44 pm

My garden doesn't attract a great variety of birds, however I used to have a large thorny bush which attracted house sparrows - it wasn't unusual to see over twenty in and around it. I became quite fond of them. The other year, it died, and I removed it - my sparrows deserted me. I do have other bushes, and a lot of overgrown holly, which has been attracting a good few redwings recently. I like them.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 2nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

I have a pair of blackbirds who've just been sitting all day, all plumped out, in the shrubs down one side of the garden, about three feet off the ground.

A parakeet made an appearance, but they have been very quiet for the last few days. I shall go and get some more bird food from the pet shop tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 3rd, 2018, 12:24 pm

A perfectly undisturbed set of fox paw prints in the snow going from the front of the house to the rear, past our wheelie bins and into the garden of the house where I have been doing kitten sitting. On my walk to the PO for washing up liquid I was amazed at the number of dog paw prints. I rarely see anyone walking a dog out there and I think I would have noticed one this big, unless we have grizzly bears, but then I think I'd notice those too! Lots of bird prints in the snow on the lawn too. Far too big to be sparrows, probably our magpies?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 3rd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Don't forget, that as snow begins to thaw footprints and pawprints get a bit bigger ... or maybe Luton has Polar Bears nowadays 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop