Naturewatch - today I saw....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Naturewatch - today I saw....

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 26th, 2018, 9:03 am

There is a pleasant mildness in the air this morning and the sparrows and magpies keep zipping down from my roof to the lawn where I sprinkled some wild bird seed mix since my feeder fell off the window and broke. Spring is certainly in the air!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 9:29 am

I just finished my one hour bird watch. I saw the same two pigeons on a telegraph cable, one seagull flying over and one of the many sparrows in my roof nipping down for some seed! Wow! It's not normally this barren. I mentioned on there we get occasional foxes and grey squirrels, other than that, not much to write home about!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Not today but last weekend...

Snowy bison.jpg
Snowy bison.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 3:44 pm

Where was that? I presume not in Ware!?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2018, 3:50 pm

:shock:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » January 27th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Yellowstone Park. Very nice but a bit parky :D, minus 17°F (-28°C) one day.

Yogi & Boo Boo were hibernating, but we saw plenty of other stuff.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 27th, 2018, 10:58 pm

How lovely! Yellowstone was featured on TV a few days ago and I was in awe throughout the whole one hour. I would put up with those temperatures for that scenery. Beautiful!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 7th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Today I finally finished demolishing the garden shed. It was really rotten and left a pile of soft rotten wood and dust. It was full of worms and bugs.

So my friendly robin came out to feed. Yesterday, when I was there with no camera, there were three robins and a blackbird...

P1010790.JPG

P1010792.JPG
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » February 7th, 2018, 10:58 pm

V sweet :) I had a pair on my feeder today.

Had a heron in the garden again at the weekend. He was perched in the tree in a most unheron-esque pose at one point. (not that I know much about herons.)

40141608561_9a5652839f_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2018, 4:40 am

Cute robin there, I bet it couldn't believe it's luck, like an all you can eat buffet on your shed! Loving the unheron-esque heron photo too!

I am still waiting for my sparrows to realise that they are a mere foot away from loads of seeds in my feeder! I don't even think they are coming down when I am not at home. Someone suggested they might still be able to smell me on it, but it's been over a week so surely any scent has been worn off now, plus do they really smell us on their food? I had an upright feeder quite a distance from any humans once, and no soon as I'd filled it up, they'd be down immediately, and we had cats.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2018, 8:35 pm

How close to the window is it, Tezza? I have never had much luck with things very close, but it's worth persevering.

I enjoyed my mother's birds at the weekend. They are quite close to her window (5ft?) , but the room is reasonably long and no one sits near the window (which is floor to ceiling so affords a good view.) Even after a long time without food being put out (when she's in hospital for example) when I do put food out they come straight away. My birds take a day or too after I've been on holiday. Alas she can't really see them from her chair, and even if she could she has the curtain drawn as she has her commode in there. She does love the birds. She used to listen to bird song records to try and learn more songs when I was little!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2018, 10:28 pm

My feeder is one that sticks to the window itself with a sucker! I have resigned myself to the fact that they aren't going to feed from it and will have to make fat balls with my surplus seed.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Sorry Tezza, I can't remember your set up. Do you have a balcony? A little bit further back might help. I am afraid I had no luck with one of those window feeders.

Some tips here though:

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/community/wildl ... 27340.aspx
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 9th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Thanks Herb. It seems I am not alone reading those comments.

I am in a first floor flat. My main window faces the main road and the sparrows are nesting just above it in the roof. They have flown down to ground level for bread but they will not come near the window. I do have a tiny bathroom window out back where it is away from the road but cannot get to it easily enough to reach out and stick it on. Same with my kitchen. Two more communal windows face out the back but I would have to ask others if they minded but can't be bothered with the grief. No I do not have a balcony.

I think it might have something to do with reflection. I imagine if someone had a nice shed away from humans with a window it would be perfect. I might just do the fat ball thing with my seeds instead and stick them up high on our high fence out back.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I had this visitor this morning ... it was so tame (ill ?) that it walked right up to the conservatory doors looking for food. It had to settle for dropped bird seed and in this pic, it was scavenging under the bird feeders .. I had been wondering what kept knocking over a couple of plant pots :? It is almost bald and very sore looking from mange, skinny too ... I have contacted the relevant charity as advised by daughter ... they may want to trap it
Attachments
fox2.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Oooh dear ... that one does look poorly ... glad you've sought some help for him/her.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2018, 11:29 am

I saw our first swallow today, our local birder tells me that it was probably a Barn Swallow, they usually get here about 14th February, it has been entered on the Cyprus record. The four Griffon Vultures that I saw by the Kouris Dam have entered on the local Bird Line.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 17th, 2018, 10:42 am

I just watched three sparrows on my bay window pecking at bread bits I'd sprinkled out for them. Gorgeous little things!

They are all you can hear in all direction. I wonder how many of them there are out there. Probably a dozen or so, but sounds like hundreds.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop