Naturewatch - today I saw....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Naturewatch - today I saw....

Postby hickybank » February 23rd, 2019, 7:59 pm

Hi Herby, your shrub could be Halesia Carolina, check it out.
Would you like to here my tale of woe this week.
I went out to take some night shots of our local river at high tide,took my pics & returned to the car, hopped it & closed the car door (ON MY CAMERA)totally destroying my telephoto lens.
I had intended to upgrade my old Canon 550 D & keep the lens this put an end to that.
I have finished up orderinga Sony RX10 Mk111 bridge camera, it is very expensive for a bridge but comes with a 600mm zoom that I am looking forward to. watch this space
Cheers
Terry.
This was the last pic I took with the Canon
Attachments
IMG_5445 (1024x683).jpg
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 23rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Thanks, Terry. I think the flowers are not quite as bell-like as that.

Yikes. Sorry about your lens. I hope the new camera is fun.

I am tempted by mirrorless, but I am kind of comitted to Canon DSLRs now, in terms of lenses, and I am not sure that the mirrorless ones are quite there yet,regarding quality (unlesss you get a very expensive one, and those seem to be as big and heavy as DSLRs, so I don't see the point.)

I think I need a new point and shoot. My Lumix is ailing. Not sure what though. Do I really need a superzoom?

Anywway, alwasy fun to get some new kit :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 23rd, 2019, 8:45 pm

Do you need a superzoom? depends I suppose on just how much you would use it.
As virtually all mine is wildlife to me thw answer is yes, but as they say horses for courses.

We have a trip booked next week to visit the Great Bustard project on Salisbury plain, should be a goot test for my new kit.
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 23rd, 2019, 11:53 pm

The biggest zoom lens I have for my DSLR goes up to 300mm (effectively less on the 750d because it's crop framed).
The lumix TZ 80 has an incredible maximum focal length of 720mm... so you can see it's appeal. Although it's very slow to focus at full zoom, so not so good for moving animal shots. Fun, but do I need it. Hmm...
It's not a replacement for the DSLR. Just sometimes I don't want to lug that around (but actually, I usually do.) But I think the superzoom comes at the price of a less good camera or lens, at least. i.e. I might get a better compact for the same price with less zoom.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 24th, 2019, 7:13 am

The shrub looks to me like Lonicera fragrantissima ... aka Chinese honeysuckle, Winter honeysuckle ... much loved by early bumblebees at this time of year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_fragrantissima
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 24th, 2019, 9:18 am

Herbidacious wrote:The biggest zoom lens I have for my DSLR goes up to 300mm (effectively less on the 750d because it's crop framed).
The lumix TZ 80 has an incredible maximum focal length of 720mm... so you can see it's appeal. Although it's very slow to focus at full zoom, so not so good for moving animal shots. Fun, but do I need it. Hmm...
It's not a replacement for the DSLR. Just sometimes I don't want to lug that around (but actually, I usually do.) But I think the superzoom comes at the price of a less good camera or lens, at least. i.e. I might get a better compact for the same price with less zoom.

Do you need one hmmm, that is the question & I think the answer could be yes, beacause one day the situation will arise when you do & you will go "DAM" the RX is slow at the top range too but I will trt to work around thatwhen the time comes
Cheers
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

That makes sense, Suffs. It smells heavenly, althugh you have to stick your nose in it!

Terry I am not sure I can actually see things that far away! I will probably get one. Maybe the tz90 wnich might be better than the 80.... not sure. Same zoom. After that model, they started reducing zoom and increasing the size of the sensor.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 24th, 2019, 1:09 pm

The large sensor is Much the better option, that is why I chose the RX10 with its 1 inch sensor
hickybank
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 24th, 2019, 3:56 pm

We are now joining Hicky +2 others on a Great Bustard Hunt (bins and camera) next week. Quite excited as it has been in the pipeline for quite some time. We also have a Wilshire flag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Wiltshire which when the building project is nearly over we will have a (maybe 2) flagpoles to fly them from.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 24th, 2019, 5:24 pm

Oh how wonderful! Hope you see one...deeply envious. And fab flag too. :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 24th, 2019, 7:36 pm

suffolk wrote:The shrub looks to me like Lonicera fragrantissima ... aka Chinese honeysuckle, Winter honeysuckle ... much loved by early bumblebees at this time of year.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonicera_fragrantissima

I agree with you Suffs … I have one too and lots of bees on it today .. I was almost going to prune it a bit, but this should wait until after flowering anyway :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 24th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Zosh, lots of people round here fly the Wiltshire flag. When I first saw it I searched high and low through flags of nations we don't always hear much of to try and find out why we had so many patriotic 'foreigners' locally. I think someone on this board eventually solved it :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 24th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Yes, EM, I have seen them around a lot.....Took me a while to track one down.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 26th, 2019, 4:22 pm

hickybank wrote:Do you need a superzoom? depends I suppose on just how much you would use it.
As virtually all mine is wildlife to me the answer is yes, but as they say horses for courses.

We have a trip booked next week to visit the Great Bustard project on Salisbury plain, should be a goot test for my new kit.

Here is the appeal of the superzoom. Not v interesting photos but the black circles are around the pile of goods on the floor at different zooms. I think I can only get such a superzoom with a decent sized sensor for a super price i.e.if I spend more than my full frame DSLR cost... which I can't do. Hmm. I guess my Lumix is not totally kaput just yet. I fear I am in the grip of 'the grass is always greener' syndrome. I caught myself looking at more expensive versions of the lens types I already have earlier :oops: (Although it probably actually is greener...)

Will stop being a camera bore after this...!

46276480685_8c662db8bd_z.jpg

47190724271_4d37eae5e0_z.jpg

40225959463_555e2f50e0_z.jpg

40225957343_04a64ac7c2_z.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 26th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Canon do a very nice 600mm lens & it is a snip at £13,000, go on you know you want to, it's only money

My new toy arrived today, I had to dash out & take a couple of shots, now need to sit & read the manual. I find that so boring
Attachments
DSC00002.JPG
DSC00008 (1280x844).jpg
hickybank
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 26th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Lovely birdies Hicky, you need to do a safari...... I consider them be compulsive if you go to Kenya....... ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 26th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Good idea Zosh. but lets start small, mabye the Gret Bustard project :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to meeting you at last, lets pray for good weather
Terry
hickybank
Registered

Postby uschi » February 26th, 2019, 11:28 pm

I saw cranes heading East today.
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 27th, 2019, 6:16 am

Cranes always remind me of Poland, nesting (big huge) on the top of telegraph 'poles' !!! :lol:

Hicks, let's also pray that we actually see a Gt. B'ard !!!! The weather is not going to be as good as it has been over the last few days. Yes, also looking forward to meeting you both too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2019, 11:32 am

Great pics, Terry. I am terrible at reading manuals. All those extra functions are lost on me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 27th, 2019, 11:38 am

p.s. at some point I shall go down the (expensive) lens hiring route. I am craving an ultra wide angle lesn, but too expensive to buy for a FF camera. But of course, the more expensive the lens to buy, the more it is to hire too.

All of this is academic unless husband gets a job...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » February 28th, 2019, 1:45 am

a couple of days ago we had a yaffle feeding in the grass outside the window and this afternoon i was in a barn watching a lamb being born (dead). it was bought back to the land of the living by the extremely competent 'shepherdess'.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 28th, 2019, 10:07 am

Wow! On both counts!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 28th, 2019, 10:46 pm

I have witnessed that Scully - and was amazed, it's surprising that some vigorous rubbing with some straw can command on a seemingly dead creature.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2019, 10:25 am

So yesterday was the Great Bustard visit, why did we not go one day earlier?,
Wednesday beautiful blue sky's Thursday rain & grey sky's

But first I had a promise to fulfill & that was to meet up with the lovely Zosh & Arthur who hade invited to their building site ( trust me, it will be stunning when it is finished :lol: ) to meet up & be fed & watered before the Bustard visit, to me this was the best part of the day, so thank's for making us so welome, I am sure we will be meeting again.
So on to the Great Bustard site.

Set off in a Land Rovwer that I swear was older that me :? , arrived at the site in the cold & wet, jumped out of the vehicle for our first viewing, cold & raining so ten second's later jumped back in.

The weather did improve slightly but 8 people crammed into a vehicle with misted up windows playing musical chairs to get a brief view through a small open window was not the best way to get any good pictures, add to that I am still trying to work out the setting on my new kit, pictures were dissapointing.
But that is a good excuse for another visit, Hi Zosh :hug:
I have added pics but not happy.
Cheers
Terry
Attachments
DSC00043 (1024x604).jpg
DSC00035 (1024x682).jpg
DSC00031 (1024x657) (2).jpg
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 1st, 2019, 11:34 am

Thank you :D :tu:

There was talk of bustards being released on our Norfolk Breckland a few years ago and a couple of years ago I thought I saw three there ... I emailed the local wildlife group and thd RSPB asking if it was possible that I really had seen Gt Bustards ... neither responded ... I’m sure if they do release a few it’d be kept quiet to start with ... I wonder if I were right ... cant think what’s else they could’ve been ... but I didn’t have my binoculars with me ... perhaps it was wishful thinking ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2019, 11:55 am

suffolk wrote:Thank you :D :tu:
Suff's you live in norfolk,
Are you sure you were not on a Bernhard Mathew's Turkey farm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was talk of bustards being released on our Norfolk Breckland a few years ago and a couple of years ago I thought I saw three there ... I emailed the local wildlife group and thd RSPB asking if it was possible that I really had seen Gt Bustards ... neither responded ... I’m sure if they do release a few it’d be kept quiet to start with ... I wonder if I were right ... cant think what’s else they could’ve been ... but I didn’t have my binoculars with me ... perhaps it was wishful thinking ...
hickybank
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 1st, 2019, 12:31 pm

Cool.... dear lovely birds... :luv: :D :tu:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 1st, 2019, 12:46 pm

Hicks I think your photos capture the birds well, especially considering that they were virtually invisible to the naked eye ! The middle photo shows one of the males nearly in 'powder puff' mode !

I was horrified to learn that these beautiful birds were exterminated in 18 something purely for the delight of humans - totally unacceptable and disgraceful behaviour :evil:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 1st, 2019, 1:25 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Hicks I think your photos capture the birds well, especially considering that they were virtually invisible to the naked eye ! The middle photo shows one of the males nearly in 'powder puff' mode !

I was horrified to learn that these beautiful birds were exterminated in 18 something purely for the delight of humans - totally unacceptable and disgraceful behaviour :evil:

Agree whole heartedly. mankind has a lot to answer for
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 1st, 2019, 1:26 pm

I had thought you'd missed the worst of the rain. What a shame. The pics are very good though and you certainly got to see them!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » March 2nd, 2019, 1:54 am

Zosherooney wrote:I have witnessed that Scully - and was amazed, it's surprising that some vigorous rubbing with some straw can command on a seemingly dead creature.....

this one had to have the swinging treatment, vigorous rubbing did nothing.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 2nd, 2019, 6:29 am

The swinging treatment is great ... clears the airways of gunge and gets the lungs going ... that, and a piece of straw up their nose :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 2nd, 2019, 9:41 am

It seems that the Red Kites have found their way to us. We now have a regular one flying overhead.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Ratatouille » March 2nd, 2019, 2:39 pm

Brilliant photos Hickey. I think their flourishing is something to thank the army for.

Very pretty but not quite so spectacular the almond blossom is out, It is very early so I hope no more frosts.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 2nd, 2019, 6:14 pm

Interestingly, I asked our guide if the Army bothered the Gt. B'ards, she said not in the slightest......

New Door and glass frame has arrived today, we have also asked him to quote for our new porch......

I have spent quite a lot of time 'pampering' the coral sandstone where it was grouted with cement yesterday, have sent photos to builder and I think I may have found myself a new position !!!

Sadly I pulled from the skip yesterday, 2 large sacks containing copies amounts of beer tins...... someones going to get a :spank: on Monday, and I think I know who it is from the 'chat'. We pay for the skips and I do not want to spend my saturdays taking their domestic rubbish to the recycling site like I did today.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 6th, 2019, 8:54 am

aero280 wrote:It seems that the Red Kites have found their way to us. We now have a regular one flying overhead.

We had a pair of kites here too.

Have you got Ring necked Parakeets yet ? :( :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

I take it you don't like them, Patsy :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 6th, 2019, 10:16 am

IMAG0006 (1).JPG
Last night's garden visitor
Attachments
IMAG0025.JPG
IMAG0023.JPG
IMAG0018.JPG
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Wow! how lovely!

My trail camera has been taken to France, although last time, all we got were shots of cats and chickens :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 6th, 2019, 8:44 pm

Wow, Hicks! You are SO lucky!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 7th, 2019, 9:08 am

Herbidacious wrote:I take it you don't like them, Patsy :)

How did you guess ;) They make a terrible racket, steal all the bird food and are not native to the UK (I know, nor are grey squirrels - I don't like them either, but Little Owls are welcome ;) ) In Richmond Park they have taken over almost every tree and nesting hole … :x
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 7th, 2019, 10:34 am

No parakeets here yet. At least not on a regular basis. A flock flew through a year ago, but didn’t stay.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » March 7th, 2019, 11:26 am

Another shot of my friendly Badger last night, just look at those claws.
Attachments
IMAG0014 (1) (1280x971).jpg
hickybank
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 7th, 2019, 11:31 am

Pasty there was a huge colony of them in the massive tree two doors down. I like them although sometimes the noise gets on my nerves. re eating the bird food, they are no worse than starlings or starlings, in my garden. The squirrels area bigger problem for me on that front. I find them fascinating to watch, squabbling with each other and using their beaks as a third claw.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 7th, 2019, 10:29 pm

We had Mingos at the end of the garden today...... ;) :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 9th, 2019, 10:29 am

Zosherooney wrote:We had Mingos at the end of the garden today...... ;) :lol:

You've lost me there Zosh :? :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby hickybank » March 9th, 2019, 10:56 am

Hi Patsy, I think that is slang for Flamingoes in these part's
I have arttached pictures of the nesting Heron's near here as well, hope to get some pics when the chick's fledge later of
Terry
Attachments
DSC00125 (1280x918).jpg
DSC00131.JPG
DSC00105.JPG
hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 9th, 2019, 11:35 am

Herons are my most favourite birds :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm

suffolk wrote:Herons are my most favourite birds :luv:

They are rather magnificent birds until they take Dads fish out of his pond, then there is much fist shaking and name calling :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop