Naturewatch - today I saw....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Naturewatch - today I saw....

Postby ianinfrance » March 27th, 2011, 4:48 pm

suffolk wrote:Psilocybe semilanceata
:lol: :lol: :lol: Personally my interest in fungi is gastronomical rather than psychotropical!!!

We don't have that many pyramidal orchids. though some friends of mine live in an area where there are dozens of various members of the Ophrys family, bee, early bee, woodcock and fly orchids especially. Just growing there along the roadside.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 27th, 2011, 6:12 pm

Here is the only pic I managed to get of the Red Kite that came down in the field at the end of my garden, looking for breakfast this morning. Still quite a rare sight this far south near the M40 corridor
Attachments
041.JPG
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » March 27th, 2011, 6:30 pm

He's lovely!!! If only they'd keep still!!! :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 27th, 2011, 7:48 pm

Wow! :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rocky » March 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Not something I wanted to see but a giant tarantula behind the house :shock: then saw two large lizards (bigger than geckos, smaller than iguanas) take it on - and win. Saved me having to deal with it!
Rocky
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » March 29th, 2011, 12:45 pm

I evicted 2 frogs from the greenhouse yesterday, I'd of liked them to stay but it was getting a tad warm in there & slow baked frog would be wrong.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Tatihou » March 29th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Rocky wrote:Not something I wanted to see but a giant tarantula behind the house :shock: ...

Erm... whereabouts are you, Rocky? Just so I know it's not southern England or Northern France... :shock:

Small but beautifully formed, I found a glow worm larva that I rescued from the chicken pen yesterday. I carefully placed it near a stone which had two snails under it. Did you know that glow worm larvae (they're about a centimetre in length) eat snails? :mrgreen:

And did you know that when the snail has been sucked dry by this little larvae, a specific variety of bee lays it's eggs in the vacated shell?

There's also the fact that the glow worm isn't a worm but a beetle...
Tatihou
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 29th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Purps!!!

Wrong, dead wrong. Firstly they eat slugs and snails and so would have kept your greenhouse mollusc free.

Secondly, if they had got too hot, they'd have been quite capable of moving out on their own

and thirdly. err there isn't really one, except

"Spoil sport. "
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Rocky » March 29th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Tatihou wrote:
Rocky wrote:Not something I wanted to see but a giant tarantula behind the house :shock: ...

Erm... whereabouts are you, Rocky? Just so I know it's not southern England or Northern France... :shock:

Small but beautifully formed, I found a glow worm larva that I rescued from the chicken pen yesterday. I carefully placed it near a stone which had two snails under it. Did you know that glow worm larvae (they're about a centimetre in length) eat snails? :mrgreen:

And did you know that when the snail has been sucked dry by this little larvae, a specific variety of bee lays it's eggs in the vacated shell?

There's also the fact that the glow worm isn't a worm but a beetle...

Don't worry - miles away in the Caribbean! They aren't at all dangerous apparently but they are exceedingly ugly and hairy. This one was about as big as my hand :o
Rocky
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Wow!!! Today I drove down to Suffolk to see the Aged Ps and was going to arrive a tad early so decided to park up in the little car park at the Hen Reed Beds at Reydon (where I spotted the pair of Hen Harriers last year).

Anyway, I parked up and got out and walked towards the reedbeds and saw ..................... A BITTERN, flying down into the reeds. I grabbed my new binoculars but was too late. I waited a bit but he'd settled and wasn't coming out again for a bit.

I'd only got 15 minutes so I sat in the car with the windows down just relaxing, listening to the birds - I could hear reed warblers quite clearly - then ................... a bittern booming, again and again and again. I've tried so many times on the Broads to see and hear bittern, and today, on this relatively new little reserve, just by accident quite early in the morning I saw and heard at least one! Over and over and over again :D :D :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2011, 5:25 pm

Suffolk - lucky you.......... They are gradually increasing in numbers in the UK and my daughter has seen more than one at the Wetlands Centre in Barnes.
(thumbs up smiley)

The best thing we have seen lately is the mating ritual of the Great Crested Grebe ........ we have lots round here, but never seen that before. You just have to be at the right place at the right time don't you? :D
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2011, 7:27 pm

OH and I were so lucky to have studied at Norwich School of Art which is in the city on the banks of the Wensum - for three years we ate our packed lunches sitting on the wall watching Gt Crested Grebes 'doing their thing' - magic, especially in the Spring of course :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2011, 6:26 am

And I've been meaning to say - in the 10 years I've been watching the birds at my place of work I've never seen a thrush, until this spring - now we have a Song Thrush who is visiting the birdbath regularly - well, at least one - but of course there could be two, visiting one at a time :D The blackbirds keep chasing it off but it keeps coming back.

I've not seen many Song Thrushes since I've lived in Norfolk (16 years) and usually have to wait to enjoy them when we visit MIL near Stamford in Lincs - lots of stone walls with snails hiding - I've seen more 'anvils' in that area than anywhere else :D - we have plenty of snails here but until now no thrushes.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2011, 9:27 am

Yes, I too have a Thrush visiting - I think it is a Song, not a Mistle............ I can remember seeing lots more when I was little. However, about 10 years ago, I was in the heart of London - and saw loads of them in a park there - I think it was Kensington Gardens. :)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2011, 9:44 am

Just thought that you would like to like to know that our chameleons obviously laid eggs or whatever chameleons do, I don't like to ask. We have baby chameleons, one has just been found masquerading as an oleander bush.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby uschi » April 17th, 2011, 9:57 am

Moira!!! Quick, get a camera out! I want to see it!!! :kneel: :luv:
uschi
Registered

Postby Fiona » April 17th, 2011, 10:03 am

I wish we had chameleons in our garden Moira :( , but I'm jolly glad we don't get tarantuals like Rocky does! :o

the swallows and martins are here, apart from that all I can see in our garden from where I am sitting is our cat stalking a bee!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2011, 4:05 pm

We don't get swallows and martins over Norwich - we have to wait for the swifts to arrive and they'll probably be a couple of weeks yet - we should see swallows on our way to- MIL's on Tuesday - we usually see them this time of year when we visit for her birthday as we travel alongside several fen rivers. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2011, 4:28 pm

We get house-martins..... they are in for a shock when they come back this year as a blue-tit has taken up residence in the nest they left last year - they always seem to go back to the same house (in both senses ;) )

I have been playing hide and seek with a Greater Spotted Wood-pecker for days now........ when he is on the bird table, or in full view on the nut feeder I don't have my camera ready, then when I get that ready he goes round the back of the nut feeder and I can only see his/her tail (never know which one it is until I see the head ........... :lol: :lol: :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 1st, 2011, 2:23 pm

Just come in from walking the dogs, we heard them first then a large flock of be eaters flew overhead. They have a lovely burbling song and are very colourful.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 1st, 2011, 3:35 pm

:shock: :D How wonderful! I've never seen even one in the flesh so to speak, never mind a flock :!: I'd not realised they flew about in flocks.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm

there is a bird in our garden which is living on borrowed time at the moment. it has one rising,short call, repeated every second. it has already driven my partner bonkers (not difficult) over the last week and now it is quickly getting to me!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 1st, 2011, 4:56 pm

What is it Scully - any ideas?

At last I've seen my first House Martin of the year - yesterday near Beccles - but only the one. Still haven't seen any swallows yet. That's late for us - and still no swifts either - maybe these strongish winds will help them on their way.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 3rd, 2011, 9:22 am

I saw a golden oriole about an hour ago, it was just outside the village at the bottom of the hill.
Because it is getting warmer I have started taking the dogs out later in the afternoon. Yesterday we met the goats :o, it was funny because both the older dogs are used to goats from puppyhood but Deb's Pug is not, she had to hide behind me. The goats are taken across that area twice a week at this time of year. They serve a useful purpose, they keep down the grass and weeds that will dry out next month and become a fire hazard.

I think that the swallows may be late because the wind is against them, you are having warm weather on a South Easterly air flow from Europe instead of the more usual Atlantic airflow. Most British swallows, swifts, martins migrate up through Iberia
Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Tatihou » May 3rd, 2011, 10:23 am

scullion wrote:there is a bird in our garden which is living on borrowed time at the moment. it has one rising,short call, repeated every second.

Is it the "Fabrice" bird? The call sounds like... Fabrice! Fabrice! Fabrice!
Tatihou
Registered

Postby spotteddick » May 3rd, 2011, 11:09 am

I am in the lucky position working on an airbase, at the moment we have 3 mating pairs of kestrels flitting about, dodging the mobbing crows. We also have a pair of Sparrow Hawks. I have taken quite a few pictures over the last couple of weeks, they all breed quite well as their is next to no activity around the perimeter or even on the grassed middle of the airfield. There is of course the large hare population about 100-150 and of course the pheasants, getting in a bit of breeding for the shooting season I hope ;). The odd Heron passes through as just outside is a disused sand pit and there are quite a few fish and loads of frogs and newts in it.

I think I shall just take a tour of my revier and see what is happening (nice weather ;) ;) )

cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2011, 11:41 am

? i don't think so. i have been doing a search but haven't come across it yet - it's probably something too common to bother making a recording of!
scullion
Registered

Postby Tatihou » May 3rd, 2011, 12:15 pm

I can't tell you what the Fabrice! bird is :D though I reckon if you now hear it you will know which one I mean. It is possibly a Great Tit as they have a variety of different calls that depend on time of day and area of their territory that they're in at the time.
Tatihou
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2011, 1:06 pm

i think i may have found it. i think it is the common chiffchaff http://ibc.lynxeds.com/sound/common-chiffchaff-phylloscopus-collybita/contact-calls-foraging-bird, it is this call but with a slightly longer interval - about every second.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » May 3rd, 2011, 1:26 pm

Hi scullion.
I think that is a poor recording of a Chiff Chaff, this is a lot more accurate

Once heard you will never forget it

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdgui ... index.aspx

Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2011, 1:30 pm

no, the unrelenting sound isn't that one, it's the call. http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/chiffchaff.htm#Voice here.
scullion
Registered

Postby hickybank » May 3rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Thanks for that sculliun I understand now, however if it was a rising note chances are it is a Willow Warbler who's call is hooweet

cheers
Terry
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby scullion » May 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm

well, i listened to a few versions of the wllow warbler - and it is what led me to the chiffchaff - but they weren't right or as close to it as the chiffchaff's call, whereas the 2 recordings that i posted were spot on.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 4th, 2011, 5:20 am

And of course they were long considered to be one and the same until Gilbert White of Selborne differentiated them in the late C18. :D

I've seen my first swallow of the year - just the one sitting on a telegraph wire, but a swallow it was 8-) But just one doesn't indicate summertime, does it :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Tatihou » May 4th, 2011, 6:29 am

Indeed, it does not. But this year it's made a very hot and sunny spring! :D I saw our first swallow here on 23rd March and they're now renovating last year's nest in the barn. No eggs yet, though.
Tatihou
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 6th, 2011, 9:52 am

Hurrah! Swifts are screaming high in the sky above Norwich once again! It makes my heart feel so glad! :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 8th, 2011, 10:47 am

saw swallows yesterday, and had to put out yet another pipistrelle brought in by a cooking fat in the early hours.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 8th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Our swallows are now sitting on their eggs, no sign of babies yet.
It has been an excellent year for orchids, I think that cool Spring must suit them. Yeaterday we saw lots of Pyramid Orchids and what can only be described as small swathes of Fragrant Orchids.

I suspect that we are almost at the end of the wild flower season, it will soon be too hot for them. It is better up in the mountains, a lot cooler so you can see will peonies up there any day now.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby spotteddick » May 8th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Twas a pair of Great Crested Grebes, with 3 eggs in the nest! I shall be putting a couple of pics up when I have down loaded and resized them. Beautiful birds!

I got a Sparrow hawk just taking off from a fence post at work, it is also one of a mating pair, I am still looking for their nest. The hedgerows are now full of bird life, the young roe bucks just popping their heads up above the young winter wheat. Life, the hares are getting quite cheeky and if I sit in my car at the perimeter track they will come up to about five yards away, but one movement and boing, boing away they go.
Last edited by spotteddick on May 9th, 2011, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby spotteddick » May 8th, 2011, 9:36 pm

Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2011, 4:57 am

Isn't Spring wonderful Dick :?: :D OH and I are heading off in about 10 days' time for a week on Bodmin Moor - the reason we chose this time of year is so that we can do our own Springwatch and see what we can see by just sitting still :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2011, 11:31 am

this is begining to sound like 'naturewatch - yesterday i put out of the house....'.
last night i noticed the mouse that had been brought in the night before.
my partner had caught it in the middle of the night in a tall glass vase but the little blighter had obviously leaped the 14", vertically, out through the 4" diameter hole at the top.
when i saw it, it was roaming between a couple of plants on a cupboard. after trying to see where it had disappeared to, i gave up. about an hour later, it popped out again and was sitting on the leaves of a phalenopsis. i got up slowly, moved to within a foot or two, picked up the caraffe that i had already baited with tiffin cake crumbs from the top of the cupboard and slowly moved it to infront of the mouse - who stepped off the leaf and into the caraffe. it was so slick - i'm begining to wonder if it's one i've put out before and it's begining to recognise the form!
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2011, 2:09 pm

I spotted what I thought was garden soil on the wall, the dog has a habit of nosing lumps about. When I looked closer it was a nest of hundreds of tiny spiders with yellow bodies. I scooped them into a jar and put the lid on. They made a web from top to bottom and were just happy walking back and too along it. OH said they will die with the lid on. Do spiders breath ? Has anyone else come across similar ?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2011, 2:27 pm

respiration is one of the 7 signs of life. they will need food ( and water too ) so keeping them in the jar deprives them of the 3 main things they need to survive. best to find them a place to live - in the shed,greenhouse or garage (if you have one) or part of the house in which you don't mind having spiders!
they keep the fly population down!
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2011, 2:28 pm

I don't think these could eat a fly they were smaller than a pinhead.
icelesley
Registered

Postby spotteddick » May 9th, 2011, 2:33 pm

baby flies??? :?:

Cheers

Dick
Cheers

Dick

spotteddick
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2011, 2:37 pm

Ah ! I am not very well up on spiders as you can tell :?
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2011, 2:38 pm

they will get bigger if you let them out of the jar! (they have probably only just hatched).
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 9th, 2011, 2:45 pm

OK if they are still alive when I get home I will put them in the hedge at the bottom of the garden.
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » May 9th, 2011, 2:53 pm

try to put them somewhere more sheltered. if they were indoors (and hadn't just been brought in) then they are probably a breed of house spider and won't fare too well in the hedge.
they should be alive if you only jarred them yesterday (and haven't been in the sun), they wouldn't have needed a whole jar full of oxygen since then.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop