New Members - Introduce yourself here!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: New Members - Introduce yourself here!

Postby miss mouse » March 14th, 2014, 7:57 pm

suffolk wrote:No, I can promise you she's nothing like an Aardvark - well not to look at anyway ;)

:lol:
Last edited by Riocaz on March 17th, 2014, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing quote
miss mouse
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 14th, 2014, 9:55 pm

Hi artjak

Welcome to Wildfood.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby veeveg » March 16th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Knock, knock, can I come in? I've been lurking on here for quite some time and tried to register before but I think it was at a time when there were 'troubles' in Wildfood cyber land.

I love cooking but have a hub who hasn't gone beyond toddler stage in his food choices. Faints with joy when presented with fish fingers. My way around this is to add tasty sauces afterwards or cook separately. Very dificult when I have company, however I don't get downhearted but soldier on at the oven. I'm interested in ways of adding flavour to food before cooking separately (chicken breasts) and anything else really that is conected to delicious fodder.

I have visiting relatives who have to eat gluten free so I'm always interested in ways of making food interesting for them, especially if they turn up unexpectedly and I haven't got a biscuit or cake in the house they can have.

I'm really looking forward to joining in and by the way I'm not vegetarian despite my nickname, though I will say I'm not very good at cooking meat.

Vee
veeveg
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2014, 6:25 am

Hello Veeveg and welcome :D

Looking forward to exchanging ideas with you and surreptitiously helping you to educate that man's palate (it can be done ;) :tu: )
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Shrimp » March 17th, 2014, 9:14 am

Hello Artjak & Veeveg :D :D
Shrimp
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 17th, 2014, 9:22 am

Artjak tells me that she's fast disappearing under a mountain of work and has not yet 'signed in' to Wildfood - hopefully she'll emerge from out of the other side within the next day or so and be able to say 'Hello' :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 17th, 2014, 9:22 am

Hello Veeveg :D
miss mouse
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 17th, 2014, 9:25 am

Hi veevig,

Yes you're most welcome to come in. As you may have read, we have a policy to wait for a few "serious" (ie not spam to advertise some kitchen installer) posts from a new registree before they become full members. I don't think it will take too long in your case.

So apart from what you've said, are there any types of cooking your really enjoy doing?
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby mum-at-the-oven » March 17th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Hi veeveg I have an OH like yours too. I have just made a butternut,chickpea and spinach curry enjoyed by my 3 boys (men now) and what did OH have- a cheese sandwich!

Welcome to Wildfood by the way :D
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby veeveg » March 18th, 2014, 10:00 pm

Hello Suffolk and thank you for your welcome. I must say I very much look forward to your surreptitious hints to change my hub's food choices. What can I do with an OH whose favourite meal is eggy mash!!! I have had success in recent years in that he will now eat Broccoli, cabbage, sprouts, and carrots, none of which he ate when I married him.....lucky man.

Mum at the Oven thank you for your welcome and it seems we have the same sort of OHs foodwise. Mine would also eat a cheese sandwich when I am serving something spicy. Fun isn't it - NOT. Mine won't even have gravy on his meal and it's surprising how different his plate looks in comparison with everyone else's. We soldier on.

Thank you for your greetings Shrimp and Miss Mouse.

Thank you also to Ian for letting me onto the Board. Now, if I were to be a kitchen installer I think I'd have organised for myself an island unit, a built in double oven and an enormous work top. Sadly none of these things are in my kitchen. I really enjoy cooking but with an OH like I have I think I am lacking knowledge and expertise. I want to learn much more about herbs and spices, for example today I heard on Kitchen Cabinet that to give a beef casserole a 'touch' of bacon flavour, without using bacon, you can use smoked paprika. Would you agree with this? I have bought so many 'mistakes' in the past than I am now coming to the experts before I buy any more spices. The cooking that I do have success with is the traditional roast. I can almost do a roast standing on my head and have done them for 12 of us (visiting family). Once I felt confident enough about leaving the meat to rest whilst turning the oven onto 'high' to do the potatoes, it was plain sailing.
Sorry, I've gone on a bit. Vee
veeveg
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 20th, 2014, 5:53 am

Hi Vee,

You will have fun here, they are a friendly lot, with lots of chat and advice. When I met my hub his mother told me he won't eat mince, that's strange I said, he loves my chilli ? Little by little over the years I have encouraged him to try with an open mind. We live to eat now not eat to live !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 20th, 2014, 10:17 am

Hi Veeveg,

How lovely that you should have shared a bit of your cooking experiences with us. I've often found that the reason a lot of people say they don't like this or that is because they haven't tried them really well prepared and cooked. You've obviously had many successes in that respect, so I feel a little diffident about making too many suggestions. However, my idea is that the best way of making something acceptable to another person is to start with making it enough times to be confident and successful at getting it right. That would - in my opinion - imply that you could perhaps make it for yourself until you're happy and at ease with it, while making something simple (eggy mash perhaps) for him. After a few times, smelling the delicious smells and seeing you eat it in front of him with pleasure, he might JUST be persuaded to taste a nibble (exactly as if he was a child :twisted: :lol: ). But don't be disappointed if he doesn't much like it the first few times. People with very limited foody perspectives often are very conservative in their tastes, I've found and therefore approach novelty with deep suspicion.

veeveg wrote:Thank you also to Ian for letting me onto the Board.
Sorry if it looked as if I did that. In fact the process is more or less automatic. You register and join as a probationary member. During that time (which is usually pretty short, but depends upon what and how often you post) your posts have to be approved by one of the moderators - we're the ones whose names are shown in green. To become a fully fledged member, one of the two administrators (Aero or Riocaz) whose names appear in red will have to change your status. I'd do it now, were I empowered to do it, but I cain't!

To get to your question about smoked paprika. I use it mainly in Spanish cooking and find it delicious. I don't really find that it gives a bacon flavour really, however. If you don't do pork products, then one can get smoked chicken or turkey to give something closer to bacon flavour to beefy stews.

A little warning. Pimiento 9smoked paprika) comes in two varieties. Hot and Sweet. The hot one really is pretty spicy and unless you and more especially your OH, like spicy hot food, I'd tend to avoid it if I were you. The other gives a good flavour, though I'm not altogether convinced that it would give a bacon flavour. Living in France, I most often use "poitrine fumée" for that, keeping my own bacon to eat on its own, 'cos it's so good.

Although they need using with great care, because they're very strong, you can get liquid smoke or smoke powder, and use that to give a smoky flavour.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Riocaz » March 20th, 2014, 10:36 am

ianinfrance wrote:
veeveg wrote:Thank you also to Ian for letting me onto the Board.
Sorry if it looked as if I did that. In fact the process is more or less automatic. You register and join as a probationary member. During that time (which is usually pretty short, but depends upon what and how often you post) your posts have to be approved by one of the moderators - we're the ones whose names are shown in green. To become a fully fledged member, one of the two administrators (Aero or Riocaz) whose names appear in red will have to change your status. I'd do it now, were I empowered to do it, but I cain't!

Actually it's fully automatic so even if Aero or I aren't about they will be promoted out of newbie-ness. :)

But that said we normally do the deed manually once it's obvious the new person isn't a spammer. And in this case it's been done.
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby ianinfrance » March 20th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Riocaz wrote:Actually it's fully automatic so even if Aero or I aren't about they will be promoted out of newbie-ness
Well there we are - I learnt something as well. Thanks anyway Riocaz.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Confucius » April 3rd, 2014, 6:02 am

Hi all,
I am Confucius (not confused :? , but sometimes that as well), actually a Brit (Phil) in China. Teaching here for many years, now in forced retirement.
I was brought to this site when looking for words for a song - "The Fishermen of England", which we used to sing many years ago at school. Thought I would sign up as I do cook :chef: for myself every day, but not adventurously even though I am in China. I am also mainly a vegetarian - something many Chinese find difficult to understand.
Cheers, will look in again soon. :) :)
Confucius
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 3rd, 2014, 7:04 am

Welcome Confucius :hug:

Where abouts in China are you?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Confucius » April 3rd, 2014, 7:20 am

Hi PurpleLuv
Thanks for the welcome !
I am in a small mountain city in Guangxi in South China (Do you know China?). Guangxi is reputed to be a poor province, but life is improving for the indigenous people here as it has been doing in China for the last 2 or 3 decades.
It is a great time to be in China, to see all the changes. :D
Do still miss some of the food that I used to have in the UK though, but I can't think what at the moment, as I enjoy so many fresh exotic fruits that are mostly grown locally.
Confucius
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 3rd, 2014, 7:35 am

How did you come to be in such a obscure / non westernized location?
We have sites all over China although my dealing are mainly with the Guangdong Province, Zibo, Shenzhen & offices in HKG.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby ShotleyGirl » April 3rd, 2014, 9:35 am

Welcome Confucious to the mad house that is Wildfood ;)
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby Confucius » April 3rd, 2014, 12:43 pm

ShotleyGirl
- thanks for the welcome :) . Some people think I am mad :?: to be where I am - so maybe I will fit in here if I find enough time.

PurpleLuv;
I first came to China in 2000, having just graduated as a very mature student, with my BSc (2.1 Honours) in Environmental Biology. I had hoped to teach biology here, but the powers that be eventually decided that the English standard of the biology students wasn't good enough. Therefore I ended up disappointingly teaching English, BUT I have loved it :luv: and still enjoy the company of students at the uni/college where I was teaching. Still in touch with a number of ex-students from Hebei.
I used to teach in Hebei Province, the province that surrounds Beijing until 2008 (except for a year and half back in the UK to do Chinese studies (2003) as a student again, & with problems with my now sold home in the UK). In 2008 I went to a job fair in Beijing and met a young lady from Guangxi Education Admin Dept who asked me if I would like to teach in Guangxi. So obviously I said "yes".
In 2012, the Foreign Language Dept here, wanted to keep me, saying that I was the best teacher that they had, had, but government rules said I was too old :( . As for non-westernised location, that suits me down to the ground. I tell everybody, Chinese or Western that I came to China to meet Chinese people, even though my Chinese language skills are still poor - Chinese dyslexic I say. I know enough to go and buy my fruit and veg on the local market, but listening is a problem "Ting bu dong". - When I was in Shijiazhuang (Hebei), most of the westerners there used to meet in bars at the weekend - not for me.
Today for example after I did my previous 2 or 3 posts here, I went to the uni (holiday period) and played tennis with a student, then went to play badminton with some students and then went for a run around the running track. I came back here and found your post.
In the meantime I have been invited to go shopping tomorrow, to the next city - Liuzhou - about 100km, with a Chinese teacher and a couple of students. A great life for me at my age :D - I would not be so welcomed by young people in the UK.
I think I am the first foreigner to buy a home on this city ~ 2 years ago, but I have since heard that a couple of others have also now done so, but they are married to Chinese.
BTW - What do you do in China? - if you don't mind me asking.
Confucius
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » April 3rd, 2014, 1:08 pm

Confucious, you may like to join us on Chatterbox where we all tend to congregate and have a natter, as they say here in Northern Ireland, the Craic is great ;) come and join us when you get a chance.

Which part of the UK did you move to China from?
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 3rd, 2014, 1:13 pm

Sounds like you are more adventurous & active than a lot of us on here, good on you, we are very active at eating :hungry:

We manufacture some of our goods in China, several locations, some owned by us, others others external suppliers, I have made a few good friends over there.

We do a lot of "non food" chatter on a thread called "Chatterbox" a few posts down, pop in & say hi :D , just watch out for Mary, she's after a man eater & terrible flirt, will do anything for a double Gin :purps: :lol:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby ShotleyGirl » April 3rd, 2014, 1:19 pm

Oh Purps, don't frighten him off :lol: :lol: :lol:
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 3rd, 2014, 1:32 pm

ShotleyGirl wrote:Welcome Confucious to the mad house that is Wildfood ;)

Oi some of us resemble that remark.

Welcome Confucious!

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Confucius » April 3rd, 2014, 2:03 pm

You are all making me smile :D :D
Sounds like a good community that you have here.

@ShotleyGirl
I come from Notts, born 72 and half years ago in village near Notts Leics border. My mum still lives there with my youngest sister.

@PurpleLuv
The small mountain city where I now live is called Yizhou - reputed to be the hometown of a female singer (?centuries ago), called Liu Sanjie, famous in the annals of China as someone who fought against a local chief or landlord who wanted to make her his own. She fought against him and his tyranny with her singing and ran-off with her lover. There is a very large statue of her in a square named after, adjacent to one of the largest karst mountains around here, about 10 minutes from where I live. Her kind of mountain singing grabs my heart. You can find some info about her if you Google her name. (I broke my ankle running down the mountain, racing a student! 3 to 4 years ago - then went to give lectures on crutches)
There is a river that runs nearby and it also runs adjacent to the tower block where I have bought my home. It is called Long Jiang (Dragon River).
I have many tales about China - maybe some I wouldn't talk about here. Some maybe I will ???
Confucius
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2014, 2:25 pm

Welcome to Wildfood Confucius :D

My daughter's godfather used to teach in China - he too has many tales - unfortunately he said the diet there didn't suit him :? and he returned to the UK a shadow of his former self - not necessarily a bad thing. ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » April 3rd, 2014, 2:30 pm

Riocaz wrote:
ShotleyGirl wrote:Welcome Confucious to the mad house that is Wildfood ;)

Oi some of us resemble that remark.

Welcome Confucious!

Well it is true :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 3rd, 2014, 3:06 pm

Welcome Confucius. We do a lot of chinese cooking here, though mainly from Sichuan. Love it, though it has to be said that some of the ingredients aren't that easy to find! Especially here, where I live in France.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Shrimp » April 6th, 2014, 7:34 am

Hello Confucious :) Nice to meet you. Lots of good tips, banter and fun to be had on here. :D
Shrimp
Registered

Postby minalk » April 18th, 2014, 10:25 pm

Hi all

Not sure whether anyone remembers me from bbc?
I am now a mummy so keeps me extra busy since last year xx Look forward to catching up.

Minal
minalk

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2014, 5:32 am

Minal welcome!!! :D You're name is certainly familiar - the BBC board seems a long time ago now - congratulations on being a Mummy :congrats: Looking forward to lots of foody chat :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 20th, 2014, 12:49 am

Hi Minal,,
Welcome to Wildfood.

So glad you found your way here again.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » April 20th, 2014, 8:18 am

Hi Minal

I remember you from the beeb. Welcome to Wildfood to you and to all the other new posters! :cocktail:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » April 20th, 2014, 5:16 pm

I remember your name too Minal :D

A big welcome to the forum from me as well. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 21st, 2014, 8:41 am

Hi Minal, I remember you too

Nice to hear from you :D
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 22nd, 2014, 10:43 am

Hi Minal. I remember the name too. Welcome to Wildfood.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby minalk » May 3rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Hi all. So lovely to see you all here! Hope everyone is keeping well :tu:
minalk

Postby suffolk » May 3rd, 2014, 1:32 pm

Hi Minalk :D :tu:

Most of us are doing well, all things considered :D

Some are meeting adversity with courage and good humour :kneel:

A few are waiting for the rest of us at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ema107 » May 12th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Hi All
I used to be on BBC boards but never joined this one till now. Your messages and love shown over the last few weeks has inspired me to join and I will pop in and post from time to time. You guys are amazing.

Some of you will know of me as Dotta.

Look forward to getting to know you better

ema
Ema107
Registered

Postby Luca » May 12th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Welcome ema

I hope you learn to love this board as much as your mother did. She and I had quite a few chats over the years and I was able to meet her at several of the meets. She is much missed by many, many people here and I hope that in time you will be able to post regularly and happily and tell us some of the food stories you both shared together.

Happy posting here!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby amazing » May 12th, 2014, 10:24 pm

Hi Ema nice to meet you.
Never met your wonderful Mum in person.
Carol did offer me accommodation when I was going to be travelling south last year.

Although I didn't take up her offer it was so good of her to offer.

She is a well loved person on this board whether real or virtual.

Welcome on board.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 12th, 2014, 10:48 pm

Hi Ema,

How lovely of you to come here and introduce yourself to us.

Just like Luca, Carol and I met on a number of occasions and despite our very different backgrounds, shared many pleasures.

When my father died, one of the good things that came from it was that my brother and I - in sharing our sadness - became much closer. I hope that good may come from Carol's death and that you (and grumpy old Bill) become regulars here and in your turn share with us.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » May 13th, 2014, 7:01 am

Welcome Ema

I remember you from the Beeb board. It's a very sad time for you I know, but so lovely that you've felt able to join us.

I shall very much look forward to your posts. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2014, 7:18 am

Welcome Ema :D

I can do no more than echo the sentiments above - so lovely that you have joined us :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Dee » May 13th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Hi all. Was a member a long time ago (refugee from the BBC board) but couldn't log in from home. Major life change recently & I can join in now (when not at work). Looking forward to catching up with you all. :hungry:
Dee
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » May 13th, 2014, 5:27 pm

Hi to you too, Dee. Very good news that you can now join in again.

I don't know how much you were able to use Wildfood when you first joined, but there are many things we can do here that we couldn't there. Send private messages, for example, and search old threads. So if - for example - you were interested to see what people thought of a recipe, or a food processor, you could use the board search or advanced search functions and with a little experience, (as in all new things) you may get just the information you needed.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Dee » May 13th, 2014, 5:34 pm

Thanks Ian. I'll try to navigate my way around. Sadly my husband died without warning few months ago & I m grateful for some friendly faces.

Shocked & saddened o read out FCQ.
Dee
Registered

Postby Dee » May 13th, 2014, 5:36 pm

PS. The times of Posts are showing GMT rather than BST. Any tips?
Dee
Registered

Postby miss mouse » May 13th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Oh Dee, how awful for you, and poor Emma, an awful time for her as well.

Welcome and I hope the board can provide distraction for you both.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2014, 5:51 pm

Welcome Dee, Sorry to hear of your loss, but glad to be here to offer foodie companionship :D
Last edited by suffolk on May 13th, 2014, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop