Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 21st, 2010, 1:57 pm

I don't usually have time to read at home, but it's different in the tin tent - we're both avid readers. I have just finished 'The White Queen', by Philippa Gregory and have another one waiting for me when I get there tonight (can't remember what it is, tho'!)
I like thrillers, travel, some history and am not so keen on 'chick lit', tho' I have read some to while away the time! The best ones are those which we both like to read - those which make you think and are real page turners! (I like Dan Brown, whilst hub thinks he's cr*p!)
What have you just read and can you recommend it?
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby icelesley » May 21st, 2010, 2:07 pm

I have just finished roadside crosses by Jeffrey Deaver and am now reading the empy chair by same author. I think I have read almost all of his book and there is a new one due out in July. I loved Dan Brown too. I like Linda La Plante and Val McDermid novels too.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby tezza » May 21st, 2010, 2:08 pm

I used to be a serious bookworm but haven't read a book in ages. The best book I read by far is 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin'. I would recommend it to anyone. A real emotional rollercoaster, a bit of a sticky bit in the middle that I struggled to get past, someone told me that would happen but to stick with it, and I was so glad I did. I literally cried my eyes out as I got towards the end. An excellent novel.
tezza
Registered

Postby pinkmacaroon » May 21st, 2010, 2:22 pm

I love the 'Bonesetter's Daughter' by Amy Tan, I have read it several times which is unusual for me. Actually, any of her books would be great.

Any Betty MacDonald book, I have re-read the whole lot every year since I was a child and I'm so pleased they have been reprinted. Lynn Truss chose to read from one of them recently on R4, they deserve a wider audience.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Onions-Stew-Bet ... 0704102501
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 21st, 2010, 2:25 pm

I would recommend "The girl with the Dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larrson
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby icelesley » May 21st, 2010, 2:32 pm

Riocaz wrote:I would recommend "The girl with the Dragon tattoo" by Stieg Larrson

I have just seen that on Amazon. What sort of writer is he/she ?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 21st, 2010, 2:42 pm

Some great suggestions here - I loved captain Corelli, too, tezza!
I'm going to visit Amazon and have a look see! Keep your suggestions coming, please! :hug:
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby SchueySue » May 21st, 2010, 2:47 pm

icelesley wrote:I have just finished roadside crosses by Jeffrey Deaver

That just about sums up my sort of reading Ice!! I love Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connolly, Dean Koontz, some of the Stephen King books, John Grisham, Patricia Cornwall, Jonathan Kellerman, Harlan Coben and all books which touch on a bit of horror, a bit of blood and thunder, a bit of a laugh and a bit of romance.

Having said all that, my favourite book in the whole world is Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris. It has everything I personally could wish for - it is set in my beloved Brittany, it has many references to food and has the odd little recipe, it has intrigue, romance, humour and violence. Yes, my sort of book and I read it time and time again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Five-Quarters-O ... 886&sr=1-6

Sue
Still in Brittany and staying there!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 21st, 2010, 2:50 pm

I like Joanne Harris and read The Lollipop shoes in one sitting!! (I hope that's the right title!)
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby SchueySue » May 21st, 2010, 2:52 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:I like Joanne Harris and read The Lollipop shoes in one sitting!! (I hope that's the right title!)

Yes, that was a lovely book as well SloeGin! I like most of her books (not all) and I thought that one was particularly lovely. Reminded me a lot of Chocolat but it involved the same people didn't it so it would!!! Daft me.

Sue
Still in Brittany and staying there!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 21st, 2010, 2:56 pm

Joanne Harris is very good. I read Runemarks a few weeks ago for a bookclub.

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby mogatogs » May 21st, 2010, 3:09 pm

Afternoon,

Just spent yesterday and today re-reading Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine, 1st read it 8yrs ago and couldn't put it down, it has a bit of romance, lots of history and keeps your interest all the way thro'. Just sent for 3 more books from Amazon hope OH is out when they arrive :D

Mogs
mogatogs
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm

Robert Harris is good, usually a bit of a thriller. His historical series, Pompeii, Imperium are good, historical obviously. Enigma, Archangel, Ghost etc are modern.
If you like British mysteries there are Ian Rankin, Peter Jenkins, Peter Robinson, Quentin Jardine.

I am pleased to say that Victoria Hislop's, The Island is being made into a mini series by a Greek TV company so it should not be ruined by Hollywood as Capt Correlli was.

Moira, who works in bookshop

Just going for Fish & Chips, back later
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 21st, 2010, 3:57 pm

I enjoyed The Island - but didn't take to her second one.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby tezza » May 21st, 2010, 4:21 pm

I also highly recommend these, my favourite Stephen King novels:

The Dark Tower series
Gerald's Game - thoroughly gripping
Misery - as long as you haven't watched the film starring Kathy Bates which would just ruin the book

Sebastian Falkes' Birdsong is also a fantastic read.
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » May 21st, 2010, 4:26 pm

Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman - The Long Walk. Genius.
tezza
Registered

Postby Luca » May 21st, 2010, 5:01 pm

I used to love the Stephen King books but found when I re-read some that I wasn't so keen anymore. Clearly I no longer have the stomach for it! :D

I particularly like thrillers like James Patterson's books and also Tess Gerritsen's. Travel/food writing books are big favourites here too.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » May 21st, 2010, 6:18 pm

Luca wrote:Clearly I no longer have the stomach for it!

Oh my God, that book has given me a fear of clowns for life. I also remember being sat on by my sister so that I could not get up and therefore said sister would not be on her own and being forced while she watch the film. Scared for life
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 21st, 2010, 6:24 pm

One of my favourite books is Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
Also 'The Lovely Bones' by alice sebold
Catherine
Registered

Postby Luca » May 21st, 2010, 6:25 pm

I didn't watch the film... but went through a stage of loving horror books...... When eldest son came back with a copy of IT I gave it a shot but............ nope - not my cuppa tea now! Talking of horrors I watched The Ring with him once and was seriously freaked out!

I seem to go through stages of liking different types of books... Wilbur Smith's were a favourite but then I love South Africa as a country and a lot of them are set there.

I've only read one Dan Brown - something about a meteorite in the Arctic iirc. It was pretty good but not my usual style.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby cyprusmoira » May 21st, 2010, 6:38 pm

I am re reading The Thornbird, it is better than I remembered, there is a lot of information about 1920/30/40s Australia in it. It peters out and the end is a cop out.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby tezza » May 21st, 2010, 6:46 pm

Great Expectations is an enormously rewarding read if you fancy something really classical.

I couldn't watch IT either. Clowns really freak me out! :terrified: The Shining though I think is a superb film, although I haven't read the book. Clearly an axe weilding maniac is far less scary to me than a bloke dressed up in a clown's outfit! :lol:
tezza
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 21st, 2010, 6:59 pm

I'd recommend The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, too - it's the first of a trilogy, which are all good, but I think this first one is the best as it has a wider ranging story than the others.

I really like Scandinavian crime fiction and can't get enough of writers like Henning Mankell, Arnuldur Indridason, Hakan Nesser, Jo Nesbo, Yrsa Sigurdardottir, Asa Larsson, Camilla Lackberg, Karin Fossum etc. Some are quite bloodthirsty though!

Ann Cleeves has written a quartet of crime novels set in the Shetland Isles which have a very good overarching story involving the lead detective and his friends/family, so they really need to be read in order:
Raven Black, White Nights, Red Bones, Blue Lightening

There is also a French female writer called Fred Vargas, who writes very cleverly and has some really odd but interesting characters - I've only read one of her books but it makes me want to read more!

Louise Penny writes gentle but insightful crime stories about a community in French-Canada, so the books have mostly the same characters - baddies and goodies! Again, best read in order of writing.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby chools » May 21st, 2010, 7:03 pm

I'm a bedtime reader...

Last one read was AA Gill - Previous Convictions, and I'm just about to finish Elizabeth Davids 'An Omelette and a Glass of Wine'

Tend to get most of my books from the library and have been quite good for the past few years at researching and ordering them

I'm not a horror fan, either books or films, I think they would keep me awake!
chools

Postby Catherine » May 21st, 2010, 7:11 pm

Quite an easy lighthearted read is Juliette Naked by Nick Hornby
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is my next read
Catherine
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 21st, 2010, 7:33 pm

Detective - Thriller - Adventure

Robert Marston
Robert Barnard
Simon Saylor
David Roberts
Bernard Cornwell
Alexander Fullerton
Andrew M Greeley
Amy Myers
Rosemary Rowe
R S Downie

etc.

etc.

Just empty the local library!! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Luca » May 21st, 2010, 7:41 pm

aero280 wrote:Just empty the local library!! :)

I love my local library and use it very regularly - the librarians are also very knowledgeable about different writers to try and love suggesting books. I think I'm in a minority though as a lot of people I've questioned never go there... although with internet access free of charge there are more people using them I'm told.... and they often pick up a book at the same time.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » May 21st, 2010, 9:30 pm

I've just joined my local library and love it, it has a wonder tea room attached to it in a garden room and also a rather grand section with encyclopedias designed like an old Victorian library in a house including a log fire. Fabulous, I could lose myself in there for hours. I know where I will be in the winter
Catherine
Registered

Postby uschi » May 21st, 2010, 9:53 pm

If you like history and mysteries, try Lindsey Davis' offerings. Set in old Rome informer Markus Didius Falco tries hard to sound like Sam Spade ... good fun and a great read. The series starts with "The Silver Pigs" - Marcus is back in Britain, not his favourite place. :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2010, 10:26 am

some of my suggestions would be -
the shadow of the wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
kathrine by anya seton (and green darkness)
the kite runner by Khaled Hosseini
birds without wings by louis de berniere
the edible woman by margaret atwood
good omens and the discworld novels by terry pratchett (for sheer escapeism to a satirised version of our own world - i love sargeant/captain/commander vimes for his synical view if life!)
any bill bryson, especially a walk in the woods
the crow road by ian banks
the snow goose by paul galico
the last enemy by richard hillary
the mysterious flame of queen loana by umberto eco
the tennis players balls, and the liar both by steven fry
the time travellers wife by whats her name
kiss kiss by roald dahl (short stories)
i'm trundling my way through the 100 classics on my ds at the moment hence not many of the latest novels (although i have put the ds down for the last couple of pratchett's) and the ones that have stood out on that have been wuthering heights (of course) and shirley (bronte), barchester towers by trollop which makes me want to go back and read the rest of the barchester chronicles, uncle toms cabin and both tom sawyer and huckleberry finn. when these last 2 are read with an adult eye they are very different from when read as a kid.
i could go on (and on.....)but i think you've probably got a reasonable list to go through! the bbc big read gives a list of the top 100 favourite books - maybe it's worth picking your way through a few of those.
but the trouble with having recommendations is that one persons good read is quite often another persons bore. i got rather fed up with the constant whining of angela's ashes (and the sequel), i thought the lovely bones should have been a short story and as to melvyn bragg i read 3 of them, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt (he does such a good job on in our time) but i vowed i wouldn't touch another (credo was a long book that wouldn't have made it to being a short story). oh, and a little gem that an adult would probably overlook is the illustrated mum by jaqueline wilson - not just a kids book. my daughter read it when she was 10 or 12 ish and laughed - i read it and cried.
i'll shut up now!
hit the charity shops!
scullion
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » May 22nd, 2010, 12:04 pm

I like gentle fiction. Modern authors of whom I approve are Susan Challis, Anthony Capella and Nicci Gerrard. I read all the Dick Francis stuff years ago and am contemplating a re-read.

My favourite author of all time is Howard Spring - sadly out of print. I have most of his books in hard back from second hand shops and charity shops and never tire of them. I probably re-read his stuff about every three or four years and when I find a "new" book cannot be interrupted. I am presently on a mission for Shabby Tiger and Rachel Rosing and look everywhere we go.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 22nd, 2010, 1:11 pm

I forgot Lindsay Davis & Dick Francis....

I avoid any book that's won a prize. I tried a couple and found that my tastes do not match those of the "literary elite" :roll:

Of course, my other favourite read is an Atlas or map. Any atlas or map will do ! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Luca » May 22nd, 2010, 1:21 pm

I love Dick Francis books too ..... somehow John Francome didn't quite make the grade in my view but they were good pretenders to the crown.

Nikki French is another writer I enjoy.

Kobie Kruger, wife of a retired game warden of one section of the Kruger Park, wrote two absolutely fascinating books about their years living there - very remotely, and the lion cub they raised. Wonderful stories for anybody who loves wild life.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby VeggieChaos » May 22nd, 2010, 1:40 pm

Ooh fcq, I love Howard Spring! No-one else I've spoken to has ever heard of him. I like all his books but my favourites are 'The Houses Inbetween' and 'Dunkerleys'. I found this site http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... =16&bt.y=9 Unfortunately Dunkerley's isn't on it, but your two are! :)
I believe everyone else my age is an adult whereas I am merely in disguise - Margaret Atwood
VeggieChaos
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 22nd, 2010, 1:53 pm

I agree with aero280, I avoid books that have won a prize, especially Booker prize winners, although Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall is the exception to that

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » May 22nd, 2010, 1:55 pm

Thanks for that VC - I have bought books from ABE before but am strapped for cash at the moment. I do have Shabby Tiger and Rachel Rosing in paperback, but would like to replace them with hard backs. I have Hard Facts and Dunkerleys already, and most of the rest of his oeuvre.

I think Howard Spring was a great writer and consider he knocks spots off Hardy and Dickens - much under-rated in my view. Every time I go to Cornwall I go to Mylor and lay flowers on his grave which is marked by a beautiful sun dial.

As for prizes - Possession is one of my all time favourite books. How could I not love a book which has the most perfect description of Les Iles Flottante?
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » May 22nd, 2010, 8:57 pm

I wouldn't of normally picked it up but just read Paul O'Grady's autobiography and really enjoyed it, was an interesting read :)
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » May 23rd, 2010, 7:43 pm

Sloe-Gin wrote:have another one waiting for me when I get there tonight (can't remember what it is, tho'!)

Well, it was 'Born Bad' by Josophine Cox. I'm sorry to any J.C. fans, but I'm not one of them. It was the first of hers that I've read- and the last. I loath putting literature in the bin, but that's where this one went.
Badly written, with mistakes, repetition and lots of 'tell' rather than 'show. Awful.

However, fantastic advice here - it'll keep me going for many months to come! Thanks!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 23rd, 2010, 8:06 pm

As this thread is on page two and there's lots of info - it's time to diversify ;)

One of my pet hates in books is the phrase that starts "Little did he know that ......." :evil:

Another hate is "The Editor". We have one in our library. From time to time I get a book that he has already read, in which he has underlined or crossed out all the spelling mistakes, grammatical errors and false logic! But he's (maybe she, but I doubt it - I have a trainspotter in my head as an image!! :) ) not very good. His latest debacle was editing a Reginald Hill "Dalziel & Pascoe" book. Part of the plot was transcripts of e-mails and they were printed with all the poor grammar, spelling and lack of capital letter etc. as if they were verbatim. He had a field day! Unfortunately the plot depended on the spelling mistakes!! :roll:
Last edited by aero280 on May 23rd, 2010, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Dena » May 23rd, 2010, 9:39 pm

Most of the thriller writers I like have already been mentioned, Jeffrey Deaver, Linda la Plante, James Patterson, Tess Geritson, Ian Rankin, Val McDermid, etc. etc. I really enjoyed the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The girl who played with Fire, and the last in the trilogy The girl who kicked the hornets Nest ( When I finished the 2nd one Riocaz I decided I couldn't wait until this year to buy the paperback of the Hornets Nest , so bought the hardback :roll: I thought the whole series was brilliant - even though quite dark)

For lighter reading I like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books by Alexander McCall Smith, I absolutely love Precious Ramotswe and her amazing detective skills :D.
Dena
Registered

Postby pinkmacaroon » May 24th, 2010, 9:48 am

My dirty little secret:

I adore Andy McNab books.
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 24th, 2010, 11:33 am

Hey, I've been known to read Laurell K Hamilton... Andy Mcnabb is Literature of the highest order in comparison. :-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby pinkmacaroon » May 24th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Riocaz wrote:Laurell K Hamilton

I had to Google her! On her website it shows the book "Guilty Pleasures" which boasts an illustration of a screw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll stick with Andy. I did find, however, that after reading four of his books on the trot, I found myself looking for snipers on the rooftops, happily none to be had in these parts.
pinkmacaroon
Registered

Postby mistytwoshoes » May 24th, 2010, 1:28 pm

Just finished reading the Hindi-Bindi Club which was a fab read. Its about three ladies who leave India/Pakistan at partition and move to the US. It is interspersed with some wonderful Indian recipes. Trouble is I can't remember who wrote it :oops:
mistytwoshoes
Registered

Location: Gloucestershire, UK but more and more in Southern Africa!

Postby ianinfrance » May 24th, 2010, 1:41 pm

mistytwoshoes wrote:Trouble is I can't remember who wrote it :oops:

According to amazon, it's by Monica Pradhan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hindi-Bindi-Club-Monica-Pradhan/dp/0747578842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274708375&sr=8-1
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Tatihou » May 24th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Riocaz wrote:Hey, I've been known to read Laurell K Hamilton...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a guilty secret. And one we share as I have the first 9 Anita Blake books. :mrgreen: After Obsidian butterfly they degenerated into badly written soft porn and AB degenerated into a whiney angsty muppet with no redeeming features whatsoever.

A few random authors I like...

Donna Leon - the Brunetti series. Wonderful series
Cynthia Harrod-Eagles - the Inspector Bill Slider series. I really like Bill Slider.
Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series - and the real hero of the books, Grandma Mazur.
Daniel Silva - thrillers but reasonable page-turners
Clive Cussler - preposterous plots but very entertaining... until eventually, some books in, he starts putting cameos of a character called Clive Cussler in the books. :roll:
Lee Child - the Jack Reacher novels
Susanna Gregory - both the Matthew Bartholemew and Thomas Challoner - though I think the MB ones are best
Ken Follett - Pillars of the earth - a really epic novel. I haven't read World without end yet but I will.
Tatihou
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 24th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Yes they did.

I keep hoping that they will improve (which they have slightly over the last couple of books). But she seems to have written herself into a corner she can't get out of (and as they are #1 best selling books in several respected sales lists, I guess she's making enough money not to really care).

I have suggested to people looking for contemp fantasy/horror to read the first 9, then pretend that LKH died and the series was left unfinished...

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby sarebear1982 » May 24th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Patricia Cornwell - The Scarpetta series is great
Tess Gerritson
The Kite Runner - by ?? can't remember
Jodie Picoult - Love most of them apart from which I strugled with but the name escapes me at this moment in time.
Dan Brown
Terry Prachett Disc world series
And i'm sorry but Harry Potter love them!!!
:luv:
"I live more in 5 minutes riding and racing a bike like this than most people can ever live in a lifetime" Marco Simoncelli, 2010

#58 RIP 1987 - 2011
sarebear1982
Registered

Postby Riocaz » May 24th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Dan Brown?

Thats worse than Laurell K Hamilton.

Onwards and Downwards!
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby nursemimi » May 24th, 2010, 9:45 pm

sara I love the Harry Potter books to.
Some of my favorites at this time are
Diane Mott Davidson her caterer solves crimes in the Colorado Mountains good recipes too.
Elizabeth Peters reading Amelia Peabody mysterys at the mo.
Elizabeth George love her work.

Mimi

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop