Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Rocky » March 22nd, 2017, 10:59 am

I recently read Conclave by Robert Harris and really enjoyed it. Not normally the kind of thing I would pick up but OH persuaded me and I am glad he did.
Rocky
Registered

Postby scullion » May 11th, 2017, 9:44 am

just finish 'winter in madrid' by c.j.sansom - the 'shardlake' writer. this isn't a shardlake novel but a sort of thriller that starts in the spanish civil war, finishes after the second world war but is mainly set at the beginning of the forties.
beautifully written and well worth a read. i couldn't put it down towards the end.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 11th, 2017, 10:26 am

I'm gradually working my way through the "Cadfael" books - Ellis Peters. For me, they give a really good taste of what life was like in the 12th Century - I'm not reading them one after the other, because I don't want them to become samey - I'm interspersing with John le Carre.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 11th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I really enjoy c j sansom books, I may keep this one in reserve for my flight to Australia- I don't really enjoy watching films o a plane so try to have the kind of book which keeps me involved, and I need something quite long. Is it the same kind of length as the Shardlake ones?

I have just finished Abattoir Blues, one of the DCI Banks books by Peter Robinson, it kept my interested til the end - mainly because the setting was local to where we live. I'd read another in the series......

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » May 11th, 2017, 4:55 pm

I've read them all BB, in order :oops: And he has written a standalone called Before the Poison, also based around where you live, I loved it.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 11th, 2017, 5:27 pm

Thanks Chinch, I'll look out for them in the library.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Hope » May 12th, 2017, 8:28 am

I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tail by Margaret Attwood, which is brilliant, but a little scary!
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » May 12th, 2017, 9:36 am

Busybee wrote:. Is it the same kind of length as the Shardlake ones?

it may be a little shorter or it may be that it slid through my brain quicker!
i haven't looked at the page count as most of his novels i've read on an e-reader while this was in paper form.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 30th, 2017, 4:19 pm

I've been enjoying The Summer Book by Tove Jansson (of Moomin fame) over the last few weeks.

A lovely book about a lady and her granddaughter living on a tiny island in Finland. It's relatively slow and whimsical and perfect for dipping in and out of between reading other books.

Food wise, I've been flicking through my J Sheekey 'Fish' book and making a note of various dishes I want to make again! :hungry:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby cooksalot » June 1st, 2017, 11:55 am

I've just finished reading Conclave by Robert Harris. Interesting subject matter as well as being well researched and written. I would thoroughly recommend it. I am a big fan of his!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 15th, 2017, 9:35 am

I've just finished The Buddha in the attic by Julie Otsuka, an account of mail order brides who were shipped from Japan to America before the second world war and what happens in their lives from then on. It's beautifully written. I know some reviews have likened it to poetry and I can see why.

I've also recently read The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry. Has anyone else read it yet? It's had so much hype and I'm not sure it completely lived up to it. I do think she's a great writer but the story and the characters fell a little flat.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » June 15th, 2017, 9:59 am

I can't get on with The Essex Serpent at all. I keep starting it but it's failed to grab me.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » June 15th, 2017, 10:22 am

Pepper Pig wrote:I can't get on with The Essex Serpent at all. I keep starting it but it's failed to grab me.

Ditto - can't get into it. I think I bought it some time last year, it's still languishing on the shelf.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » June 28th, 2017, 4:14 pm

I'm currently reading Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman and I'm loving it.

Slightly premature as I've not finished it yet but I really recommend it so far.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eleanor-Olipha ... 0008172110
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 15th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Re The Essex Serpent which I couldn't get into. My chum bought me the paperback for my birthday, I had it on the Kindle. Now that I can keep reading back easily I'm finding it more accessible. Am about halfway through. Like OMCO I'm not convinced it lives up to the hype but at least I'll finally finish it. Probably. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 16th, 2017, 7:12 am

The Trouble with Goats and Sheep by Joanna Cannon. If anyone reads it, I would love to compare notes, especially if you are under 45ish. (Too young to remember the 70s.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 16th, 2017, 7:18 am

OMCO I notice that you multi read? More than one book at a time ? I have never considered this, do you not get the details mixed up?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 16th, 2017, 7:44 am

I have always have several different books on the go, never get them muddled. I do prefer paper copies so that I can, if necessary refer back.

Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it was originally published several years ago, it was great, I would like to watch the watch to see how they cope with two different narrators, one of whom is unreliable

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 16th, 2017, 8:49 am

Zosherooney wrote:OMCO I notice that you multi read? More than one book at a time ? I have never considered this, do you not get the details mixed up?

Nope! It's usually one novel/fiction and one non-fiction - often interiors/design based. Occasionally with another novel which is easy to dip in and out of...I'm still dipping in and out of The Riviera Set and also a book of short stories called Attrib...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Attrib ... rds=attrib

I started How to stop time by Matt Haig on the train this morning. (It's reminding of Confessions of Max Tivoli if anyone's read that).

I also received delivery of Simple Fare by Karen Mordechai recently and the photography is stunning! I've not cooked anything from it yet but have enjoyed staring dreamily at the photos :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Simple ... imple+fare
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2017, 9:38 am

cyprusmoira wrote: do prefer paper copies so that I can, if necessary refer back.

I find that as easy on Kindle as on paper, if not easier if you use the notes / bookmarks

I have always read very fast so tended to have only one book on the go at a time, but I've slowed, and I have more time, at the moment I have one thriller, one book club book, and one non-fiction which can be read one fairly self-contained chapter at a time
Thriller: until I met her by Natalie Barelli
Non-fiction: The Angry Chef, by Anthony Warner
Book Club: The Underground Railroad by Colston Whitehead about slaves escaping the deep south and running north, won this years Pulitzer prize winner. Kindle thinks I've read 12 %, it's fairly slow going, I might give in and get the narration.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 16th, 2017, 10:25 am

I read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep last summer ... loved it ... I do remember the 70s ... I was a young mum ... it took me back to the dust and the stultifying heat of '76 (when DD was a newborn) and the people who lived in the recently built development on the edge of the village ... they seemed to be a community on their own rather than part of the village ... and I can imagine it all happening there ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 16th, 2017, 4:24 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it was originally published several years ago, it was great, I would like to watch the watch to see how they cope with two different narrators, one of whom is unreliable

good job we're all different - i thought it was an awful, predictable book with not one character with any redeeming features. i resented the time i'd spent on it.

i'm working my way through the gentle world of 'cadfael' at the moment - after having read a few poor offerings from the free kindle book website (probably vanity publishing) and one set in north norfolk - featuring a forensic archaeologist (well, i think that's what she was supposed to be). it was recommended by a fellow browser in a charity shop - it can go back - it still has the price label on. i may not accept those recommendations so swiftly again.
i've also read a load of the 'eagle' novels by simon scarrow since last on this thread. they are quite good in a same-y sort of way. not heavyweight or requiring any brain input but ok for a quick escape. also a few of the roman detective books of steven saylor - good.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 16th, 2017, 11:02 pm

scullion wrote:cyprusmoira wrote:
Just finished Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, it was originally published several years ago, it was great, I would like to watch the watch to see how they cope with two different narrators, one of whom is unreliable

good job we're all different - i thought it was an awful, predictable book with not one character with any redeeming features. i resented the time i'd spent on it.

I haven't read the book but saw the film on TV and thought it was pretty bad. Certainly didn't make me want to read the book - but I know lots of people who have really enjoyed it and said the film was equally as good ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 16th, 2017, 11:06 pm

scullion wrote:it was recommended by a fellow browser in a charity shop - it can go back - it still has the price label on. i may not accept those recommendations so swiftly again.

I rarely recommend books these days, for just that reason. Unless you know someone's taste in books really well it's pretty risky!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 17th, 2017, 11:12 am

suffolk wrote:I read The Trouble with Goats and Sheep last summer ... loved it ... I do remember the 70s ... I was a young mum ... it took me back to the dust and the stultifying heat of '76 (when DD was a newborn) and the people who lived in the recently built development on the edge of the village ... they seemed to be a community on their own rather than part of the village ... and I can imagine it all happening there ...

I am the same age, to within month or two, of Grace :)

I did wonder about all the references to products. Very nostalgic if you remember them, but would it get irritating if you don't know what she is talking about? Kind of annoyingly, I've been working on a short story myself set in the 70s, told from the point of view of a 12 year old, with a similarly chatty style. It feels terribly indulgently nostalgic, but is such fun to write. But she got away with it, so...! There is though still a concern if you refer to too many things that people don't understand.

Overall I thought it was a really good book, but the ending seemed very rushed, and I did wonder if it was even 'real'. It felt a bit dream like insofar that things that seemed bad are made good. I don't want to give any spoilers and can't articulate this terribly well without doing so!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Self indulgence can be wonderful, if you're invited in to share :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Overall I thought it was a really good book, but the ending seemed very rushed, and I did wonder if it was even 'real'. It felt a bit dream like insofar that things that seemed bad are made good. I don't want to give any spoilers and can't articulate this terribly well without doing so!

I felt that worked because it was how I remember adult things that happened when I was a child ... you only know what you see and can understand ... so much of it is beyond your understanding and doesn't seem relevant anyway.

I'd like a sequel ... revisiting some of the characters when Grace is an adult and has a greater understanding of the emotions and dynamics.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 17th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I have downloaded this book to keep me occupied on my flight on Saturday. I was born mid sixties so I should recall some bits of the 70's.

Hopefully it will keep me going, more or less 24 hours of travel. I'm not a great flier. I need distractions

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm

Have a wonderful time BB. :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 19th, 2017, 4:53 pm

I did finish The Essex Serpent and almost enjoyed it. :oops: The other book my chum bought me was The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild. Am loving it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improbability- ... B00VTPTEB6
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 19th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Busybee wrote:I have downloaded this book to keep me occupied on my flight on Saturday. I was born mid sixties so I should recall some bits of the 70's.

Hopefully it will keep me going, more or less 24 hours of travel. I'm not a great flier. I need distractions

BB

Well into it, and enjoying it so far. I'm also enjoying business class! :wink: As I write I am tucked up on a flat bed noodling with you lot. It's a far cry from Dan Air in the 70's!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 20th, 2017, 2:04 am

Dan Air ! I remember them, based in Bournemouth, we flew with them a lot, wonder what happened to them, they just seemed to disappear ? Then there was Laker Airways with Freddie.....

Hope you enjoy your holibob BB. :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 20th, 2017, 6:45 am

Busybee wrote:Well into it, and enjoying it so far. I'm also enjoying business class! As I write I am tucked up on a flat bed noodling with you lot. It's a far cry from Dan Air in the 70's!

Business class sounds like a great idea, BB - it would make the long flight quite tolerable, I imagine. But with the prices as they are, I think I'll just have to keep imagining!!
Hope you have a wonderful holiday this side of the world :D

Zosherooney wrote:Then there was Laker Airways with Freddie.....

I remember them well. Flew New York to London then back to LA with them in about 1980. Very good value, as I remember :)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 20th, 2017, 9:17 am

Morning
I flew Laker to San Francisco (and back) in 1982, £99 each way, cheap even then
We had to take a packed lunch :D
We stopped for US immigration in Bangor Maine and they took my partner away and interrogated him, we were never sure why, we suspected because someone with a similar (unusual) name had links to the Black Panthers
I think Dan Air merged with one of the others, possibly Britannia? Not at all sure
Probably should get out before the sun goes, have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 21st, 2017, 8:56 am

Pepper Pig wrote:The other book my chum bought me was The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild. Am loving it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Improbability- ... B00VTPTEB6

A really, really good read. Funny, cynical, foodie and entertaining. Best book I've read this year. 8-)

Now starting a Clive James, another birthday gift. Play All.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 31st, 2017, 8:56 am

I'm going to check out that Hannah Rothschild book PP...it sounds like it would be a good holiday read. I'm also taking the Mandibles by Lionel Shriver which I've not read yet.

I'm currently ploughing through Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - the first book I've read of his. It's taking me a while...although chapters containing 100+ pages don't make it a book that's easy to pick up for a quick read!

I've ordered Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon from the library. Every newspaper, magazine, blog etc I read at the moment are giving it rave reviews so I'm going to see what the fuss is about.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 31st, 2017, 7:52 pm

Just saw this thread and can't read it all, it's too long! So apologies if this had already been recommended. But I have just finished Margaret Forster's Lady's Maid (absolutely nothing to do with Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale) about Elizabeth Barratt Browning and Robert Browning, told by their longstanding maid, Wilson. It was fabulous. I was so sad when I was getting towards the end that I deliberately held back so I wouldn't have to finish it! I can tell you, I can't remember when I last felt like that about a book!
KC2
Registered

Postby scullion » September 1st, 2017, 9:45 am

i have felt like that with anya seton's book 'katherine', i've read it a number of times over the years (about time to read it again, i think) and each time i don't want her to get older and feel slightly bereft when i've finished it. it makes me realise how people get upset about the unhappy things that have happened to their ancestors on 'who do you think you are?' as the characters in the book died nearly six hundred years ago.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 1st, 2017, 9:56 am

It's one of my favorites too Scully!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 2nd, 2017, 10:25 am

Bill Bryson Icons of England for me and for Mr. Z. Nick Hornby's About a Boy.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 11th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Both we enjoyed and have now swapped and finished and had the same feelings.

The film, About A Boy was rubbish compared to the book. :tu: :tu:

Tomorrow when the transfer has happened I will start James Herbert - Secret of Crickley Hall, Mr. Z. is on last weeks newspapers.... :lol: Then we will swap...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » September 28th, 2017, 9:02 am

i'm working my way through the cadfael novels of ellis peters. they're a good, 'safe' read by which i mean i haven't been disappointed in style or content yet (after about seven of them) - however, like in midsomer, medieval shrewsbury seems to have rather a lot of mysterious murders.

Zosherooney wrote:The film, About A Boy was rubbish compared to the book.

i wasn't over impressed with the book, either. i find a degree of 'wetness', or rather, 'something missing' about nick hornby's novels. i prefer john o'farrell, in the same sort of genre, who hits the mark more, for me.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 28th, 2017, 10:27 am

Thoroughly enjoying The Fourteenth Letter by Claire Evans https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/331 ... nth-letter
Not my usual sort of novel, but really hooked by this one. This is CE's first novel and it could have done with some judicious editing, and some of the historical context seemed a bit out to me (but I'm not a historian so ... :-/) ... but it's a rip-roaring read as you would expect from someone who's been involved with the tv series Doctor Foster.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » September 30th, 2017, 10:52 am

I loved 'Secret of Crickley Hall. I read it a few years ago while on holiday in the Dominican Republic, and spent many late nights in bed reading it until finished. Very creepy, and a brilliant plot.
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » September 30th, 2017, 11:03 am

Tony Hawkes -

Round Ireland with a Fridge
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
One hit Wonder
Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 30th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I was given The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks for my birthday and I loved it,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 1st, 2017, 6:44 am

As the weather is so 'Sunday stay in bed' weather I feel like picking up 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry' again. Now that I have my new prescription specs I should be able to see what I am doing. I might have to have a flick back recap. I was gripped when I started it a couple of months ago and have the sequel in the wings.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 1st, 2017, 6:50 am

Enjoy Tezza ... It's a really good read as is the 'sequal'. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 2nd, 2017, 2:36 pm

Catherine wrote:Tony Hawkes -

Round Ireland with a Fridge
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
One hit Wonder

I loved Playing the Moldovans at Tennis, less keen on Round Ireland, haven't read One Hit Wonder
Did you know he was appointed MBE in the 2017 Birthday Honours for services to disadvantaged children in Moldova?

On holiday I've been catching up with Sue Grafton's alphabet murders in audio book form, as first person narratives they work well in audio
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 2nd, 2017, 4:04 pm

Thank you Sue, I will stick at it..... it has been a little slow in the first few chapters. :tu: :tu:

Mr. Z has armed himself with 3 Peter Tinniswood novels. He does not know they have arrived, otherwise nothing would get done !!! :twisted: :twisted:
Zosherooney
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop