Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 18th, 2017, 9:11 am

Has anyone else read Elmet by Fiona Mozley, which was shortlisted for the Booker this year? I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elmet-SHORTLIS ... ords=elmet

I loved the Mandibles by Lionel Shriver too. I know a lot of people have been put off by the economic/financial slant but I thought it was fascinating! About the downfall of the US economy where the dollar has collapsed and they're no longer a global superpower. It centres on a wealthy family and their steady decline (both financial and relationship wise) as the economy worsens. It's obviously very bleak but there's a good deal of humour in there too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Cheshire

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Meganthemog » October 18th, 2017, 3:58 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Has anyone else read Elmet by Fiona Mozley, which was shortlisted for the Booker this year? I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elmet-SHORTLIS ... ords=elmet

I loved the Mandibles by Lionel Shriver too. I know a lot of people have been put off by the economic/financial slant but I thought it was fascinating! About the downfall of the US economy where the dollar has collapsed and they're no longer a global superpower. It centres on a wealthy family and their steady decline (both financial and relationship wise) as the economy worsens. It's obviously very bleak but there's a good deal of humour in there too.


It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.
Meganthemog
Registered
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 1:05 pm
Location: Swansea and sometimes Kent

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Mr. Z has armed himself with 3 Peter Tinniswood novels.


i hope one is 'the stirk of stirk'.
User avatar
scullion
Registered
 
Posts: 11243
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 2:08 pm
Location: cornwall

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 19th, 2017, 9:07 am

Meganthemog wrote:It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.


What a brilliant perk of the job! I've ordered Lincoln in the Bardo from the library and I'm really looking forward to that one too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Cheshire

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2017, 10:10 am

If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........


Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust
BBC RADIO 4 14:30 SAT 21 OCT
Twenty two years after the publication of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, the author returns to the world of His Dark Materials with a brand new trilogy.

For this highly anticipated novel, set ten years before the events of His Dark Materials, Radio 4 has cleared the Saturday afternoon schedule on 21st October for a special omnibus edition, read by Simon Russell Beale.


If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.
Image
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 34957
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Pepper Pig » October 19th, 2017, 10:13 am

Waiting for my copy to arrive Suffs. :D
User avatar
Pepper Pig
Registered
 
Posts: 5489
Joined: June 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Location: Harrow-on-the-Hill

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Meganthemog » October 19th, 2017, 10:44 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.


What a brilliant perk of the job! I've ordered Lincoln in the Bardo from the library and I'm really looking forward to that one too.


Yes it is - I have a whole lot of Pushkin Press children's books too - all waiting for my GS to learn to read! They are beautifully illustrated. I give a lot of books away too - if it isn't something I want to hang on to - my friends read them and they pass them around - share the love is my motto :luv:
Meganthemog
Registered
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 1:05 pm
Location: Swansea and sometimes Kent

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

suffolk wrote:If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........


Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust
BBC RADIO 4 14:30 SAT 21 OCT
Twenty two years after the publication of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, the author returns to the world of His Dark Materials with a brand new trilogy.

For this highly anticipated novel, set ten years before the events of His Dark Materials, Radio 4 has cleared the Saturday afternoon schedule on 21st October for a special omnibus edition, read by Simon Russell Beale.


If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.[/quot
suffolk wrote:If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........


Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust
BBC RADIO 4 14:30 SAT 21 OCT
Twenty two years after the publication of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, the author returns to the world of His Dark Materials with a brand new trilogy.

For this highly anticipated novel, set ten years before the events of His Dark Materials, Radio 4 has cleared the Saturday afternoon schedule on 21st October for a special omnibus edition, read by Simon Russell Beale.


If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.


This is music to my eyes and I will most definitely be tuning into this. In the meantime I shall be diving back into Lee Mack's autobiography. I really recommend it. He's such a nice chap and I wouldn't want him not to be in my life!
I either win, or I learn
User avatar
TeresaFoodie
Registered
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 11:00 am

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby StokeySue » October 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Someone once described Lee Mack as being as unweird as it is possible to be and still be funny
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Pepper Pig » October 20th, 2017, 7:53 am

I've just read Robert Webb's "How Not to be a Boy". Very good indeed and brilliant on gender discrimination. I'm just starting The Book of Dust. 8-) 8-) 8-)
User avatar
Pepper Pig
Registered
 
Posts: 5489
Joined: June 9th, 2014, 7:18 pm
Location: Harrow-on-the-Hill

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Zosherooney » October 20th, 2017, 8:24 am

Whilst recently on my sunbed I finished the Secret of Stickley Hall. Quite spooky given the time of year. I also read Please Daddy No, did not bring them home so can't remember the author. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 2nd one. It was brave of him to write it.
Last edited by Zosherooney on October 20th, 2017, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zosherooney
Registered
 
Posts: 9603
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 3:04 pm

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2017, 8:38 am

I'm a huge Robert Webb fan ... I shall look out for that ... thanks Pepper :D
Image
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 34957
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 20th, 2017, 8:56 am

I read an article by Robert Webb in a magazine recently talking about gender roles, his respect for his wife and the changes he's made regarding his role and 'duties' etc in the household. It was quite interesting.

I can't WAIT to read the book of dust! I ordered it from the library along with every other person in the bloody village by the looks of the library website. I might just buy it instead. Although I am tempted to re-read the trilogy again first while I wait.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Cheshire

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2017, 10:09 am

Book Club last night was The Ghost who Bled, short stories by Gregory Normington, very varied and well written, we all enjoyed it.
Sue
User avatar
StokeySue
Registered
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm
Location: Stoke Newington (London)

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 16th, 2017, 10:46 am

Meganthemog wrote:I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told


Have you read this one yet? I'm really struggling with it... I so want to love it but I'm finding the style really irritating. I'm only about 100 pages in so i'll persevere!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: April 17th, 2012, 9:41 am
Location: Cheshire

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son .A real binge read and interesting look at gender politics too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 7:59 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 17th, 2017, 8:14 am

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son .A real binge read and interesting look at gender politics too


That is a thick read! My Uncle was reading this last weekend and had just one chapter to go when me and my Dad stayed with him at a family get together. Dad said he'd love to take it back to his boat with him. Uncle said it was un-put-down-able and finished it first thing next morning so he could pass it on. I must ask Dad how he's getting on with it.

I just mentioned on CB, I am going to start 'Aliens' edited by Jim Al-Khalili this morning. I will post on here my thoughts once read. I do sometimes find it hard to stick to a book until the end so often have a number on the go! Two Rachel Joyce novels are in the wings as back up!
I either win, or I learn
User avatar
TeresaFoodie
Registered
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 11:00 am

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 17th, 2017, 11:19 am

I’m an incredibly fast reader but it took me a week to read it. I’d rate it as one of his better ones. The Stand is my favourite Stephen King and possibly my favourite book of all time. I also really loved Cujo too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered
 
Posts: 1575
Joined: March 31st, 2010, 7:59 pm
Location: Devon

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby Gruney » November 25th, 2017, 11:55 am

I've recently finished reading "White Fang" - by Jack London - free on Amazon kindle. It was written over 100 years ago, but could have been written yesterday - best book I've read for a long time.
Gruney
Registered
 
Posts: 1994
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 6:45 am

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Graham Swift's 'Mothering Sunday' .............. BRILLIANT, SUPERB, UNPUTDOWNABLE

A novella of just under 150 pages I read this in a morning ............ superb prose exploring important themes.

Two important notes:

1. Don't Google it and read the literary reviews ... they give too much away

2. Don't read it if you don't care for reading about intimate moments ............ however, this is the best writing about such moments that I've ever read.
Image
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
User avatar
suffolk
Registered
 
Posts: 34957
Joined: August 11th, 2010, 6:47 am
Location: East Anglia, surprisingly!

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 25th, 2017, 3:19 pm

That will be on my to read list. :tu: Which reminds me - when I go into town on Friday i shall have plenty of time to join my local library.
I either win, or I learn
User avatar
TeresaFoodie
Registered
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 11:00 am

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests