Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 18th, 2017, 9:11 am

Has anyone else read Elmet by Fiona Mozley, which was shortlisted for the Booker this year? I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elmet-SHORTLIS ... ords=elmet

I loved the Mandibles by Lionel Shriver too. I know a lot of people have been put off by the economic/financial slant but I thought it was fascinating! About the downfall of the US economy where the dollar has collapsed and they're no longer a global superpower. It centres on a wealthy family and their steady decline (both financial and relationship wise) as the economy worsens. It's obviously very bleak but there's a good deal of humour in there too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 18th, 2017, 3:58 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:Has anyone else read Elmet by Fiona Mozley, which was shortlisted for the Booker this year? I don't think it will be everyone's cup of tea but I couldn't put it down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elmet-SHORTLIS ... ords=elmet

I loved the Mandibles by Lionel Shriver too. I know a lot of people have been put off by the economic/financial slant but I thought it was fascinating! About the downfall of the US economy where the dollar has collapsed and they're no longer a global superpower. It centres on a wealthy family and their steady decline (both financial and relationship wise) as the economy worsens. It's obviously very bleak but there's a good deal of humour in there too.

It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » October 18th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Mr. Z has armed himself with 3 Peter Tinniswood novels.

i hope one is 'the stirk of stirk'.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 19th, 2017, 9:07 am

Meganthemog wrote:It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.

What a brilliant perk of the job! I've ordered Lincoln in the Bardo from the library and I'm really looking forward to that one too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2017, 10:10 am

If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........

Philip Pullman's The Book of Dust
BBC RADIO 4 14:30 SAT 21 OCT
Twenty two years after the publication of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, the author returns to the world of His Dark Materials with a brand new trilogy.

For this highly anticipated novel, set ten years before the events of His Dark Materials, Radio 4 has cleared the Saturday afternoon schedule on 21st October for a special omnibus edition, read by Simon Russell Beale.

If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 19th, 2017, 10:13 am

Waiting for my copy to arrive Suffs. :D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 19th, 2017, 10:44 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:
Meganthemog wrote:It's on my desk waiting for me to pick it up! We reviewed it this month and I'm lucky enough to get all the books passed on to me by my reviewer. I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told.

What a brilliant perk of the job! I've ordered Lincoln in the Bardo from the library and I'm really looking forward to that one too.

Yes it is - I have a whole lot of Pushkin Press children's books too - all waiting for my GS to learn to read! They are beautifully illustrated. I give a lot of books away too - if it isn't something I want to hang on to - my friends read them and they pass them around - share the love is my motto :luv:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

suffolk wrote:If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........

Twenty two years after the publication of Philip Pullman's Northern Lights, the author returns to the world of His Dark Materials with a brand new trilogy.

For this highly anticipated novel, set ten years before the events of His Dark Materials, Radio 4 has cleared the Saturday afternoon schedule on 21st October for a special omnibus edition, read by Simon Russell Beale.

If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.[/quot
suffolk wrote:If you're not doing anything on Saturday afternoon you may want to listen to this ........

If you're not free then you may want to record, or listen again.

This is music to my eyes and I will most definitely be tuning into this. In the meantime I shall be diving back into Lee Mack's autobiography. I really recommend it. He's such a nice chap and I wouldn't want him not to be in my life!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 19th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Someone once described Lee Mack as being as unweird as it is possible to be and still be funny
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 20th, 2017, 7:53 am

I've just read Robert Webb's "How Not to be a Boy". Very good indeed and brilliant on gender discrimination. I'm just starting The Book of Dust. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 20th, 2017, 8:24 am

Whilst recently on my sunbed I finished the Secret of Stickley Hall. Quite spooky given the time of year. I also read Please Daddy No, did not bring them home so can't remember the author. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 2nd one. It was brave of him to write it.
Last edited by Zosherooney on October 20th, 2017, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2017, 8:38 am

I'm a huge Robert Webb fan ... I shall look out for that ... thanks Pepper :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 20th, 2017, 8:56 am

I read an article by Robert Webb in a magazine recently talking about gender roles, his respect for his wife and the changes he's made regarding his role and 'duties' etc in the household. It was quite interesting.

I can't WAIT to read the book of dust! I ordered it from the library along with every other person in the bloody village by the looks of the library website. I might just buy it instead. Although I am tempted to re-read the trilogy again first while I wait.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 20th, 2017, 10:09 am

Book Club last night was The Ghost who Bled, short stories by Gregory Normington, very varied and well written, we all enjoyed it.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » November 16th, 2017, 10:46 am

Meganthemog wrote:I'm looking forward to reading Lincoln in the Bardo too. A worthy winner so I'm told

Have you read this one yet? I'm really struggling with it... I so want to love it but I'm finding the style really irritating. I'm only about 100 pages in so i'll persevere!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 16th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son .A real binge read and interesting look at gender politics too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 17th, 2017, 8:14 am

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:Just read Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and his son .A real binge read and interesting look at gender politics too

That is a thick read! My Uncle was reading this last weekend and had just one chapter to go when me and my Dad stayed with him at a family get together. Dad said he'd love to take it back to his boat with him. Uncle said it was un-put-down-able and finished it first thing next morning so he could pass it on. I must ask Dad how he's getting on with it.

I just mentioned on CB, I am going to start 'Aliens' edited by Jim Al-Khalili this morning. I will post on here my thoughts once read. I do sometimes find it hard to stick to a book until the end so often have a number on the go! Two Rachel Joyce novels are in the wings as back up!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » November 17th, 2017, 11:19 am

I’m an incredibly fast reader but it took me a week to read it. I’d rate it as one of his better ones. The Stand is my favourite Stephen King and possibly my favourite book of all time. I also really loved Cujo too
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Gruney » November 25th, 2017, 11:55 am

I've recently finished reading "White Fang" - by Jack London - free on Amazon kindle. It was written over 100 years ago, but could have been written yesterday - best book I've read for a long time.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 25th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Graham Swift's 'Mothering Sunday' .............. BRILLIANT, SUPERB, UNPUTDOWNABLE

A novella of just under 150 pages I read this in a morning ............ superb prose exploring important themes.

Two important notes:

1. Don't Google it and read the literary reviews ... they give too much away

2. Don't read it if you don't care for reading about intimate moments ............ however, this is the best writing about such moments that I've ever read.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » November 25th, 2017, 3:19 pm

That will be on my to read list. :tu: Which reminds me - when I go into town on Friday i shall have plenty of time to join my local library.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm

suffolk wrote:Graham Swift's 'Mothering Sunday' .............. BRILLIANT, SUPERB, UNPUTDOWNABLE

A novella of just under 150 pages I read this in a morning ............ superb prose exploring important themes.

Two important notes:

1. Don't Google it and read the literary reviews ... they give too much away

2. Don't read it if you don't care for reading about intimate moments ............ however, this is the best writing about such moments that I've ever read.

I put this on my Amazon wish list after your recommendation. I must remember to add it to basket the next time I place an order.

I’ve just read A Dangerous Crossing by Rachel Rhys set on a cruise liner heading from England to Australia just as WW2 breaks out. It’s part love story/murder mystery set amongst the uncertainties of the impending war...especially due to the mixture of European nationalities on board. Quite enjoyable as an easy read. My friend has given me a copy of the Patricia Cornwall Jack the Ripper book so that’s next.

Tonight I read The Velveteen Rabbit to DD for the first time. The moment we finished she demanded that I immediately read it again. Her favourite toy is a rabbit called Coco and she grasped him extra tightly as she went up to bed! :luv:
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm

i have just finished reading all of the cadfael novels (bar the second which was a corrupted file unfortunately - i will have to hunt out the paper version). they are really gentle/comfortable 'crime fiction'. i can't say how they compare to the tv version as i haven't seen those. i think they would make the lighter reading that goes with holidays or in between the heavy stuff.

when your daughter is a little older look out for josteen gaarder's 'a christmas mystery'. it can be read as an advent calendar - my kids loved it and my daughter read it to her (now) husband.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 14th, 2018, 10:28 pm

One of Mr. Z's pressies was Stalingrad..... I am having trouble intervening ........ :rolleyes: He says it's hard to read but unputdownable....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 14th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Coinciding with the fidelity thread, I have just started reading 'His Other Lover' by Lucy Dawson. It is a revenge novel which my mum says was unputdownable. So far so good. It's a definite page turner and really don't think it will take me long to finish it. Not as fast as my mum though, she can easily do a book in a day but I get too easily distracted.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » January 15th, 2018, 12:03 pm

I've read that, thought it was very good
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 15th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I am reading Matt Haig's How to Stop Time. (and Mansfield Park... for work)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 15th, 2018, 6:18 pm

I have just finished Ken Follett's A Column Of Fire, brilliant. :tu: :tu: :tu:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 16th, 2018, 10:39 pm

I have just finished 'His Other Lover', as mentioned above. Pretty good!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 17th, 2018, 8:01 am

I am considering Louis De Bernieres' The War Of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts as my next read. Any reviews out there?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 17th, 2018, 10:15 am

I am reading Bruce Chatwin's Songlines, about Australia, for book club. Good, one or two reservations, will report back when we have discussed

But I have two mysteries / thrillers on the go on audio
One is Until I met Her, the first Emma Fern book by Natalie Barelli. Really not getting on with it, not sure whether it's the book or the reading, I suspect both. The reading is awful, she puts on silly voices so any dialogue from a male character is read in a gruff voice that sounds like a bear in a kid's cartoon. But I find Emma -rather stupid and given to overthinking every human contact to the Nth tedious degree - an unappealing character.

But I've got the second Jasmine Sharp novel by Christopher Brookmyre read perfectly by Sarah Barron. I read the first one on Kindle, and I'm almost thinking of going back and hearing it. There are so far three Jasmine novels, she's a wee Scots lassie and an accidental private investigator, but it's rather darker (and more violent and more psychologically convincing) than that sounds. Recommended but they must be read in order, more serial than series.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 17th, 2018, 10:41 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I am considering Louis De Bernieres' The War Of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts as my next read. Any reviews out there?

it's part of, a sort of, trilogy. i read them many years ago and enjoyed them but i can see why some people wouldn't. worth reading - as is his 'birds without wings'.
i was less impressed with 'notwithstanding' - a set of short stories set in a village of that name.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » January 17th, 2018, 10:50 am

scullion wrote:when your daughter is a little older look out for josteen gaarder's 'a christmas mystery'. it can be read as an advent calendar - my kids loved it and my daughter read it to her (now) husband.

I will definitely do that - thanks :tu: We've got Tolkien's Letters from Father Christmas which also works well in the lead up to Christmas so I expect i'll also love the Josteen Gaarder book.

In the last couple of days i've read Slade House by David Mitchell. It's a ghost story and had some enjoyable creepy moments but I started to find it quite repetitive.

On food...I was browsing The Ivy, Now cookbook this morning and it has some wonderful looking recipes in it. I think i'm going to go back and buy it later when I pass the shop again.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby scullion » February 16th, 2018, 12:23 pm

i've just finished a book by barbara kingsolver called 'animal, vegetable and miracle' (there is a website, too - http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com ).
not fiction (her novel 'the lacuna' was very good), this was about her and her family spending a year being 'locavores' - eating what they produced and locally produced food.
it was an interesting read. it does make you think about the impact humans are having on the world - especially in the usa with their meat production. a mix of comfortable and uncomfortable reading - with recipes.
worth reading.
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » February 16th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Thanks for that, Scullion - I've just downloaded it onto my kindle. I think it might chime with the way I seem to be going these days.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 17th, 2018, 11:43 am

I like Barbara Kingsolver, and I'm interested in the idea, I'll look into that

Last night's book club discussed How to Be Human by Paula Cocozza. It's about a woman not far from here who becomes obsessed with an urban fox and what happens to her and her neighbours. This sounds a bit whimsical but it's really not at all, it's a gripping well written novel about how peoples' inner turmoil affects their function. It also has some humour

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1250129257?_encoding=UTF8&isInIframe=0&n=266239&ref_=dp_proddesc_0&s=books&showDetailProductDesc=1#product-description_feature_div

Our next book is The Fatal Tree by Jake Arnott, a Georgian crime novel based on some factual events but much embroidered. This was a consensus choice! Looking forward to it, I heard the author read from it at a literary festival last year
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 17th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I've read The Fatal Tree Sue. I thought it was excellent. I can see someone televising it at some point as they did with one of his other books.

The Barbara Kingsolver and Paula Cocozza books both sound interesting, i've added them to my book list.

I'm currently reading He said She said which is a psychological thriller by Erin Kelly about a rape case and the witnesses who called the police. I'm only about 1/4 of the way through but am already feeling all the misdirection the author is putting the reader through!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 17th, 2018, 11:42 pm

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver was very interesting - we read it at our book group and all enjoyed it.
KC2
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 16th, 2018, 10:48 am

I've recently finished Lullaby by Leila Slimani. There was quite a lot of hype surrounding it (mainly due to the harrowing storyline) but I was a bit nonplussed. I read it quickly enough but was a little disappointed. Has anyone else read it?

I've moved on to a bit of light fluff in the form of The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer. Definitely a 'curl up in a big arm chair with a cup of tea' kind of book!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 16th, 2018, 1:18 pm

We have both loved Adam Rutherford's "A brief history of everyone who ever lived " Our GCs sent it to Mr R for his birthday because they had both enjoyed it. Obviously non-fiction but easy enough to read and very well written.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 16th, 2018, 3:29 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer. Definitely a 'curl up in a big arm chair with a cup of tea' kind of book!

My all time favourite GH :D
Did you know that Stephen Fry is a GH fan, largely because of her accurate use of Regency slang?
Talking of which I'm part way through Jake Arnott's The Fatal Tree, about 18th century tarts and criminals, I'm listening to the audio version which is just as well as there is so much "cant", their secret slang, I'd have trouble if not listening

I've given up on Natalie Barelli's "Until I Met Her", not sure whether it's the book itself or the awful audio narration, probably the combination
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 29th, 2018, 9:22 am

StokeySue wrote:My all time favourite GH

I'd not read it before and I didn't want it to end!

I've just read The Girl in the Tower by Katherine Arden which is part of the Winternight Trilogy set in Russia. It's the second book in the trilogy (I hadn't realise it was a trilogy before I started). I've already ordered the first one (The Bear and the Nightingale) and am looking forward to the final chapter coming out in August.

They combine fantasy, folklore, religion, royalty and magic and i'd recommend to anyone who is a fan of Philip Pullman.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2018, 4:34 pm

i have just finished 'the midnight palace' by carlos ruiz zafón. it's a quick read - i only started it the night before last.
it's, theoretically, a book for young adults but where does that start or end?
very well written and the story pulls you on in the same way that the characters get pulled through to the end of the tale.
it's a gripping tale of seven orphans on their sixteenth 'birthday' (of the day they entered the orphanage) and the scary events that envelope them.
a good read.

it engrossed me far more than 'the bean trees' (barbara kingsolver) which i will pick up again - soonish, maybe.
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 12th, 2018, 11:34 am

I'm currently reading Unthinkable: An Extraordinary Journey Through the World's Strangest Brains

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unthinkable-Ex ... 1473611741

IMAGINE . . . getting lost in a one-room flat; seeing auras; never forgetting a moment; a permanent orchestra in your head; turning into a tiger; life as an out-of-body experience; feeling other people's pain; being convinced you are dead; becoming a different person overnight.

Our brains are far stranger than we think. We take it for granted that we can remember, feel emotion, navigate, empathise and understand the world around us, but how would our lives change if these abilities were dramatically enhanced - or disappeared overnight?

Award-winning science writer Helen Thomson has spent years travelling the world tracking down incredibly rare brain disorders. In Unthinkable she tells the stories of nine extraordinary people. From the man who thinks he's a tiger to the doctor who feels the pain of others just by looking at them, their experiences illustrate how the brain can shape our lives in unexpected and, in some cases, brilliant and alarming ways.

Delving into the rich histories of these conditions, exploring the very latest research and cutting-edge medical techniques, Thomson explains the workings of our consciousness, our emotions, our creativity and even the mechanisms that allow us to understand our own existence.

Story by remarkable story, Unthinkable takes us on an unforgettable journey through the human brain. Discover how to forge memories that never disappear, how to grow an alien limb and how to make better decisions. Learn how to hallucinate and how to make yourself happier in a split second. Find out how to avoid getting lost, how to see more of your reality, even how exactly you can confirm you are alive. Think the unthinkable.

It's fascinating!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Unthinkable sounds very interesting! I'll definitely be reading that at some point.

I keep picking up my copy of Tarker The Otter but haven't started it yet. I feel like a child in a library again. Then there's Blackberry Wine next to it. Ooh....which one, which one?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Defo Blackberry Wine...... I think I cried at the end...... for quite a while..... but worth the tears...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2018, 9:39 am

I loved Blackberry Wine too.

Not read in Joanne Harris for a while though. I think the last one I read was The Lollipop Shoes.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

Another vote for Joanne Harris.

I seem to be reading more non-fiction at the moment. Thelatest is Alan Rutherford's A brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived. Basically about genetics. I am very much enjoying it
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Mr. Z has been lent and has nearly finished Girl on a Train. He says I will enjoy it.... Trouble is I only read on Holiday and there is not one planned for a long time.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 6:36 pm

I have really had a good sort out of my living room today, and BW is perched right on the corner of my coffee table next to my armchair. I have a feeling I might start it tomorrow.

Plus, I unpacked ALL my cookery books today. :bounce: All reunited with me at last. So they'll be getting a good outing gradually day by day! Good bed time reading, plus research purposes of course.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop