Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby scullion » August 15th, 2015, 8:54 pm

hahahaha - i have to say it was like watching a 2 star film that you regret wasting a part of your life on that you won't get back when you could have watched a 5 star film on the other side.
and a tinge of resentment.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » August 15th, 2015, 11:45 pm

sassy wrote:
scullion wrote:i have just finished 'gone girl' -a compulsive read, but not a likeable character in the whole book! they all deserved each other.

I loathed the book and the film is even worse lol! The other one I have read recently and really did not like was Girl on a Train

I didn't bother reading the book of 'gone girl' - really long and I'd read some bad reviews. Saw the film on TV and wasn't impressed at all - as Scullion said, a bit of a waste of time. Glad I hadn't spent time reading the book :lol:

I was thinking of getting Girl on a Train, but not sure whether to bother now ;) after Sassy's comment. It had very mixed reviews too!

I recently read the book 'Still Alice' and thought it was a really good insight into Alzheimers and very sad - much better than the film which I saw later. They left out a lot in the film, but I guess that always happens;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 16th, 2015, 6:01 am

I listened to Girl on a Train when it was serialised for Book at Bedtime a little while ago. I don't know whether it was a poor adaptation or whether it was the book itself that irritated and annoyed me - but the characters and the storyline were totally unconvincing :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 16th, 2015, 10:42 am

We read Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey for last month's book club; I haven't finished it yet as my specs were chaged halfway through but it's a decent read though I wouldn't rave about it

Current book club is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a sort of literary thriller set in Barcelona in the mid 20th century, so far I'm finding it absorbing and may read the rest of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series if I continue to like it as much

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/815.Carlos_Ruiz_Zaf_n
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 16th, 2015, 3:42 pm

i enjoyed 'shadow of the wind', too, and the others in the series, beautifully written (or translated) and i felt i was there with the main character all of the time.
all very good reads.
scullion
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 16th, 2015, 4:41 pm

I am currently involved in Ken Follett's Century Trilogy, brilliant read IMHO.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby sassy » August 16th, 2015, 6:30 pm

StokeySue wrote:Current book club is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, a sort of literary thriller set in Barcelona in the mid 20th century, so far I'm finding it absorbing and may read the rest of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series if I continue to like it as much

Absolutely loved all the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series - was sorry to finish reading them all. Similarly the aforementioned Languedoc Trilogy by Kate Mosse

Ooh I do love a good book! :D
sassy
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 17th, 2015, 7:34 am

I am on the last of the grant county series by Karin Slaughter, excellent series.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2015, 12:51 pm

sassy wrote:Absolutely loved all the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series - was sorry to finish reading them all. Similarly the aforementioned Languedoc Trilogy by Kate Mosse

I quite enjoyed the Kate Mosse books - but I find the quality of Zafon's writing a cut above, so far at least
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 17th, 2015, 1:11 pm

StokeySue wrote: I find the quality of Zafon's writing a cut above, so far at least

i think you have to acknowledge lucia graves's translation, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby Cinnamon Sally » August 21st, 2015, 1:55 pm

It's odd (Or maybe I'm odd), I loved Shadow of the Wind and have re-read it several times but I couldn't get along with the other books in the series at all. Would rather consider Shadow of the Wind as a stand-alone novel.

I've just finished Kirsty Wark's novel The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle, which was a good if fairly predictable read. Just right for holidays though!
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 21st, 2015, 2:20 pm

StokeySue wrote:Current book club is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I am surprised that it has not been made into a film. I am not sure whether it is significant but the translator is the poet/author Robert Graves' daughter
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » August 21st, 2015, 2:36 pm

I have just read The Girl on the Train, I have to say that I did enjoy its twists and turns - not to everyone's taste, but, I enjoyed it.

Another I have recently read was written by the boyfriend of a friend of my daughter. Anything for Her by Jack Jordan. It is his debut novel and I rather enjoyed that too :tu:
Last edited by ShotleyGirl on August 21st, 2015, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 21st, 2015, 3:27 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:am surprised that it has not been made into a film. I am not sure whether it is significant but the translator is the poet/author Robert Graves' daughter
StokeySue wrote:Current book club is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

I am surprised that it has not been made into a film. I am not sure whether it is significant but the translator is the poet/author Robert Graves' daughter

Yes, quite surprising

scullion wrote:
StokeySue wrote: I find the quality of Zafon's writing a cut above, so far at least

i think you have to acknowledge lucia graves's translation, too.

Absolutely - but Kate Mosse's writing is poor in some places without any help, convoluted sentences, misused prepositions etc. I was quite surprised as until Labyrinth she was well known as a judge of literary prizes. And it is all a bit over-excitable for my taste, and I was unconvinced by the elements of magical realism, though I am quite happy with that in other books.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 8th, 2015, 4:14 pm

i finished the ladies' paradise a couple of nights ago. well worth a read (like the other zola books i've read, in the rougon macquart cycle, so far).
it was (nominally) used as the inspiration for the tv serial 'the paradise', but the book isn't ruined by having seen the programme. it bears only a passing resemblance!

if you have a kindle you can download it for free from here and convert it to mobi using this an excellent, free program. i use it a lot.

i have now started 'nana' from the same zola series.
there doesn't seem to be any problem with the text so far, sue. maybe i'm reading from a different download source to yours.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » September 8th, 2015, 5:18 pm

I hate Kate Mosse. :evil:

What to do when one of your favourite books is turned into a film? Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods makes me laugh out loud. I reread it whenever I am feeling low. I do hope the film is as funny. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2015, 12:22 am

Pepper Pig wrote:Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods makes me laugh out loud.

yes, me too - i think that was in the list of my first recommendations back near the beginning of the thread.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 17th, 2015, 11:09 am

finished 'the silkworm' last night, the second of robert galbraith's (aka j.k.rowling) detective novels. like the first, 'the cuckoo's calling', it was very readable and a good whodunit right to the end.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 17th, 2015, 11:30 am

I have just been reading We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler, there is an unexpected plot twist early on. I knew it but it did not make any difference to my enjoyment

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 18th, 2015, 7:28 am

Anyone who enjoyed The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Pye by Rachel Joyce will be interested to know that there is a follow-up - The Lovesong of Miss Queenie Hennessy - loved it - totally unputdownable - make sure you have some tissues in your pocket though, and maybe a glass of something restorative at hand.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » December 20th, 2015, 9:19 pm

I can really recommend Spill Simmer Falter Wither by Sarah Baume. Such a beautiful debut book about a very lonely lost man who adopts a rescue dog. It's stunningly written and quite heartbreaking at times. A beautiful book - I'm not surprised it's been shortlisted for awards this year.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 20th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I've just been reading The Good, The Bad and The Furry by Tom Cox. If you're a cat lover then have a look at his books. He has a blog too. 8-) 8-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tom-Cox/e/B0034 ... sr=8-2-ent

Sis has just lent me Dawn French's latest, According to Yes. She didn't enjoy it much though.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 20th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I enjoyed The Japanese Lover by Isabel Allende over Christmas. Also just finished and enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake which I see they made into a film a while back.

Currently reading The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy. Came a bit late to this one. So far, so good.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » January 20th, 2016, 1:12 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuesdays-With-M ... 6Y0CA8P62Y

I've read a few of Mitch Albon's books, the attached & "The five people you meet in heaven" are worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_ ... _in_Heaven
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » January 20th, 2016, 1:40 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Currently reading The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy. Came a bit late to this one. So far, so good

That sent me to Kerala

We found lots of Airport Angels and at least one jam factory :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 20th, 2016, 3:54 pm

just finished zola's l'euvre - all i can say is that if the main character had committed suicide earlier on in the book he would have put us all out of his misery.
i've now started 'germinal' - let's hope this is less depressing - but i think i may be disappointed.
i'll give myself a rest from zola for the next book! and read something with a bit more humour (not difficult).
enjoyed 'cod of small things' - not much about fish though. (sorry)
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 15th, 2016, 6:26 pm

I've just finished "A Man Called Ove", by Fredrick Backman - £0.99 from Kindle. One of the most engaging books I've read for years - thoroughly recommend.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 15th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Recently I have started to reread the Aubrey /Maturan books of Patrick O'Brian, I love them to bits but best of all you can read and read them so many times.

The other book I have on the go is Madame Bovary - in English. She is another who grips me and I know I should be reading it in French but i can't be fussing about the translation when I just want to get the (so sad) story!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » March 15th, 2016, 7:46 pm

still on zola.
germinal was good - quite a bleak book. my mind gave it a layer of heavy cloud and coal dust and it described the poverty and unredeemable misery of the characters very well. i'm glad i read it.
i followed it by 'Pot-Bouille'. i should have searched better for this one before i read 'the ladies paradise' (Au Bonheur des Dames) as it's a prequel. it's a very, very different novel to germinal, much lighter in mood and pointing out the insincerity, veneer of civility and morality, of middle class parisians. very victorian (well, the french equivalent).
i have moved on to 'La Joie de vivre'. this one is based around the young daughter, now orphaned, of the family central to another book, 'the fat and the thin' (le ventre de paris, set around the markets of les halles). like all of the zola i've read so far it's well written (and translated, i assume) but i just know it's going to sink into an unhappy ending!
i'm hoping i can finish all of them before the beeb's mash-up ruins the rest of them for me.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2016, 9:19 pm

Kate Morton's books are good

I also read The Lady in the Van which is good. Looking forward to buying the film which has just been released
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 15th, 2016, 9:22 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:I've read a few of Mitch Albon's books, the attached & "The five people you meet in heaven" are worth a read

'For one More Day' is another good book by him
Catherine
Registered

Postby Rainbow » March 16th, 2016, 10:48 pm

PurpleLuv wrote:I've read a few of Mitch Albon's books, the attached & "The five people you meet in heaven" are worth a read.

I read that one with a book group and must admit didn't really like it and wouldn't read anymore books by him.

I have recently read a few books by Lisa Genova and really liked 'Still Alice' (better than the film, I thought) and 'Inside the O'Brien's'. Both very well researched.
But then she does have a PhD in Neuroscience from Harvard :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 17th, 2016, 9:45 am

My Book Group is reading Elena Ferrnate's My Brilliant friend

I read the short introductory chapters and was really looking forward to the rest
But Kindle tells me I'm 15% of the way through, & I'm so bogged down in detail I may never get to the end - she seems determined to tell me the full name of everyone in the girl's primary school, and list every sticking plaster they ever acquired and every petty squabble; it's getting really tedious
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 17th, 2016, 10:26 am

I'm reading Ruth Reichl's 'Tender at the bone' which charts her early years before she became a critic. I do like her books, as well as the odd decent recipe in there too.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby scullion » June 5th, 2016, 1:48 pm

i've finished 'la terre', 'le reve' and 'la bête humaine'.
all good reads and all different apart for the fact that, like most of zola's 'rougon-macquart cycle', they don't have comfortable endings.
'la bête humaine', in particular, has a very dark core but definitely made me what to know how it would turn out.
i've just started 'l'argent' and the preface, which sets the scene with the financial climate in france at the time, could have been written with the current financial climate in mind - in much the same way that trollop's 'the way we live now' could.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rocky » June 5th, 2016, 2:55 pm

StokeySue wrote:My Book Group is reading Elena Ferrnate's My Brilliant friend

I read the short introductory chapters and was really looking forward to the rest
But Kindle tells me I'm 15% of the way through, & I'm so bogged down in detail I may never get to the end - she seems determined to tell me the full name of everyone in the girl's primary school, and list every sticking plaster they ever acquired and every petty squabble; it's getting really tedious

This series was recently recommended to me. The first one was slow going as you say but I am notes onto the fourth one and really enjoyed them. Did you persevere with them?
Rocky
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 6th, 2016, 4:42 am

I picked up from the Drs. surgery recently Appetite by Philip Kazan. It's a foodie novel about a bloke from Florence in 1466 who can taste things that other people cannot. There seems to be another story wound into it but it is on the pile for my sun lounger so cannot report more at present.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 12th, 2016, 6:16 am

Has anyone read a book called The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown ??? Any good or not ?

Also have just been given a sun lounger book called Disclaimer by Renee Knight - same questions from above....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 21st, 2016, 10:49 am

i think this was the thread you were wanting, pepper pig.

i'm now a third of the way through the penultimate book in the rougon macquart cycle. it hasn't been the most riveting, so far.
it's following a character that first appeared in 'la terre' along with a group of soldiers who are taking part in a bit of the franco-prussian war - i'm hoping it lightens up!
scullion
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » July 21st, 2016, 1:47 pm

I've recently read Nick Albert's An Irish Tail - an hilarious true story of a couple in their 50's from Essex who decide to move to Ireland. It follows their trip to find somewhere to live and what they went through. I can recommend this book.

Also I recently read Four Cheeks to the Wind by Mary Bryant - another true story of a couple who decided to cycle round the world.
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 3rd, 2016, 4:15 pm

OK I need specific suggestions

I have to go to my next Book Club armed with a suggestion for a science fiction book
That's science fiction, not science fantasy please, I don't do dragons (I like Pratchett but that's not what I'm looking for)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » October 3rd, 2016, 4:29 pm

Thinking of sci fi (not my favourite genre) - I loved The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 3rd, 2016, 4:35 pm

Yes, I loved H2G

Thinking of The Sciontree (The Four Corners Book 1) by Glenn Duffield, his name is vaguely familiar, might have heard him on the radio?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 3rd, 2016, 9:09 pm

shades of grey by jasper fford? - post apocalyptic - where status is decided on the depth of a colour you can see, - i've read and enjoyed - not a taxing read.
robert heinlein is always a good bet for good sci-fi.
if you want a female writer there's ursula le guin. i have a collection of sci fi short stories of hers called changing planes (also ebook). i haven't read it yet but this is the header from wiki -
Changing Planes is a 2003 collection of short stories by Ursula K. Le Guin.[1] Each chapter describes a different world and the society that inhabits it; these societies share similarities with Earth's cultures in some respects, but may be notably dissimilar in other respects. Many of the chapters are brief vignettes or ethnographic profiles of the societies they describe.

if you want, i've got a vast amount of sci-fi in ebook form that i could turn to kindle format and email to you - if you wanted to skim through anything before deciding or buying.

ps i've over a hundred and fifty asimov ebooks - if you want the king of sic-fi.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 3rd, 2016, 9:37 pm

after finally finishing the rougon macquart cycle i'm reading douglas adams' 'the salmon of doubt'.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2016, 8:48 am

Thanks for all the suggestions scully
It's difficult isn't it?
I've read Heinlein, and know most of Book Club have so perhaps not, though I did wonder about having a classic as second choice, I didn't know fforde did sci fi, he has a couple of fans in the group so maybe I'll leave him for them

Ursula K. Le Guin is an odd one, I have friends who rave about her and she wins awards left right and centre, but personally I tried to get into the Earthsea books and found them not just unreadable but really annoying. Perhaps more fantasy than hard core sci fi?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 4th, 2016, 9:50 am

i know you said you don't want terry pratchet but he has done some collaborative sci-fi called 'the long earth' - and a couple of sequels. i've read the first one. it deals in parallel universes. was interesting.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2016, 10:07 am

I'll look at the Pratchett, I mentioned no Pratchett simply because all the Amazon searches included Discworld, which to me isn't sci-fi - glorious, but not sci-fi to someone who grew up reading Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury etc.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » October 4th, 2016, 6:37 pm

let us know which book you decide on and, if i have it, i'll 'read along'.

ps. i wrote this earlier but our internet dropped out - ho hum...
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 4th, 2016, 7:14 pm

At the moment I am re-reading Jan Morris on Venice. So very beautiful and evocotive. She was 90 last week

Otherwise I'm back in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin books. Trouble is once I start reading them i can't put them down and it really disrupts my life so I keep them for long train journeys etc.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop