Can you recommend a book to read?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Can you recommend a book to read?

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » September 30th, 2018, 4:51 pm

We bought this book from The Garlic Farm on the Isle of Wight recently and it’s one of the best cook books I’ve bought in years (and like many of you I have a lot of them!)
https://www.garlicfeast.com/# This website only seems to show Australian stockists but it’s obviously selling in the U.K. but may take some hunting down!

It’s a big fat hard back book with stunning photography and some really great recipes...including lots which are actually new and interesting rather than the same old things. It’s not cheap - I think we paid £45 - but if anyone is in need of a book to put on their Christmas list then I really recommend this one.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 30th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Sounds good omco

Book Club has just read The Siege of Krishnapur by JG Farrell. I had it mentally filed as one of the 70s and 80s Raj obsession that included Mollie Kaye’s The Far Pavilions and Paul Scott’s The Jewel in The Crown. Those are very different books, and Farrell is different again, taking advantage of a century of hindsight and cultural exchange. One or two of the group found some of the siege scenes a bit gory but I didn’t.
I did listen to the audio book rather than reading text, and the otherwise good narrator annoyed me by consistently pronouncing the word cantonment as can-TOON-ment. The word must be on nearly every page of the book :(

Still working my way through Chris Brookmyre, Black Widow was good. I’ve got the book he wrote with his wife using the pen name Ambrose Parry
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 30th, 2018, 6:26 pm

My mother is still reading the The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society almost a month on. I left Don't Tell Alfred with her, which I had taken with me to read, having enjoyed The Pursuit of Love so much on my holiday.

I was trying to read Birdsong, as I went to an author talk for Sebastian Faulks' new book, Paris Echo, the other week. I have stalled on it. I need something to read that I would really enjoy I think... on the one hand... on the other, I should use my brain a bit more (or what's left of it.) The last book I really enjoyed (with some reservations) was Claire North's Touch.
Last edited by Herbidacious on October 1st, 2018, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 6:02 am

I started White Teeth on holiday but like you Herb, have stalled and it is now back on the bookshelf.....

Mr. Z. is ploughing through Pickwick Papers....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2018, 7:03 am

I started reading Love in A Cold Climate last night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 1st, 2018, 9:22 am

try terry pratchet's 'dodger'.
i find a lot of sebastian faulks's writing a bit vapid - like you're looking at the characters through a net curtain (i have the same feeling with thomas hardy and ian mcewan - like they've drawn the women in then rubbed them out again and only the ghost of them is left on the paper).
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 1st, 2018, 9:30 am

Thank you for reminding me of Nancy Mitford, I have just bought a Kindle and need to load some light hearted books

Edited to add that I have just checked the price of N Mitford's books on Kindle. I am not paying that :rolleyes:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 1st, 2018, 10:23 am

@scullion I totally agree with you, Faulks too much prose and not enough emotional engagement, McEwan too much intellectual distancing. I find McEwan the more readable of the three.

@moira one of the problems with Kindle and other eReaders is that older books aren’t necessarily cheaper because, apart from greed, they were actually type set using metal type, so not easily converted to digital, and the end result isn’t always wonderful. However, you don’t need to buy from the Amazon Kindle Store, try Free Book of the Day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 1st, 2018, 2:52 pm

Is Dodger one of Pratchett's children's books, Scullion?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 1st, 2018, 4:20 pm

Yes, but i’d say it works for adults, too.
The characters are in technicolour!
scullion
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » October 4th, 2018, 8:46 am

I dont mind Faulks but I do have to be in the right frame of mind/mood for his writing.

Has anyone read Vox, the new Handmaid's Tale (apparently)? It's set in the US where under new government rules, all women and female children are limited to 100 words a day. They wear a bracelet which gives them an electric shock if they exceed their daily limit.

I enjoyed it but feel it's not quite in the same league as the Handmaid's Tale.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop