Lighting a candle

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Lighting a candle

Postby Luca » December 13th, 2016, 9:42 pm

So very sorry to hear all the sad news. :hug:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Meganthemog » December 14th, 2016, 11:51 am

Sincere condolences Zosh :hug:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 14th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Thank you all again. Memories.....Chopping wood, what Dad used to do..... I have just instigated a red coleslaw and my knife needed sharpening, Dad bought me the stone with a handle. I always thought of him when I used it, today was the first time since his parting.... :cry: I had a tear..
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 14th, 2016, 3:09 pm

Zosh, my condolences. Who is going to chop the wood now?

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 16th, 2016, 8:35 am

Thank you Moira and other Wildies, well Arthur chops our big ones and I have been known to 'do' a bag of kindling every now and again.

Today is Dad's funeral 9am Polish time with the cremation at 4pm. I shall stop and reflect with a photo or two of him around me.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 16th, 2016, 9:01 am

We'll be with you in out thoughts Z :hug: :hug: osh
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 16th, 2016, 9:37 am

:hug: :hug: :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 16th, 2016, 10:02 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Zosh
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 17th, 2016, 7:28 pm

I know there's a vast difference between animals and people, ( :hug: s to all), but it's hard to believe it's been four years already since my beloved bagpuss went to sleep for the last time - just 4 days before Xmas. Daph was such a sweet, gentle girl, it was hard losing her.
:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 17th, 2016, 11:11 pm

But they are still a part of the family Grassy, I still miss Cirrus hugely but am grateful for Wuzzle and for me, that is part of the ongoing trip..... through life.

Present problem with Dad's ashes is that Ryanair and the container is not without problems.... Also apparently a special document is needed to take his ashes out of the country???? I have suggested a plastic container and then decant into a decent receptical here in the UK. I am sure they will balk at the idea.... Otherwise a very long elongated catalogue of events will just prolong and add expense to the whole procedure.... :(
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

This may sound irreverent but I have often thought that as there is so much red tape regarding the official way to carry and scatter ashes that it would be easier to tell people you were going to scatter them to the wind and then carry them in a bag or container to where you really want them and then do what you really want to do with them in a fitting way. Usually even the deceased would see the funny side and be glad you saved a fuss and cost and be grateful you loved them enough to bother. Of course, disguising them to go through x ray if you are flying or going by train could be interesting, they probably look like bags of illegal substances :?

I hope you can get it sorted out Zosh, you don't need red tape at a time like this. :hug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 18th, 2016, 3:09 pm

My mother hated to waste money. she wanted her ashes scattered on her aunt's grave. On investigation, I found that the council who ran the cemetary wanted to charge £300 to scatter ashes on a grave! They claim it was a fee to allow them to give permission which included exemption from any complaints from the "owners" of adjacent graves which might be affected. Then we found that the fee was doubled to £600 if the ashes were those of someone who was not living in the district when they died!! :shock: Mother would have been horrified if she had known. Her ashes are now on the grave in a floral setting - a small planter with holes in the bottom! :) There's no charge for a planter on a grave...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » December 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Aero ! That is horrendous !!! Talk about a licence to print dosh..... :td: :td: :td:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 18th, 2016, 4:42 pm

The rules here are horrendous and riduculous. You can't even bury a pet in your garden, no matter how large, the garden I mean. As cremation is still very uncommon in France they haven't really wrapped their heads around it. Woodland burials are also not permitted.

I don't expect anyelse from Ryamair though, is there no other way Zosh? What I would like to know is how the Polish aurthroties know that that is what is happening to his ashes?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 18th, 2016, 5:10 pm

aero280 wrote:My mother hated to waste money. she wanted her ashes scattered on her aunt's grave. On investigation, I found that the council who ran the cemetary wanted to charge £300 to scatter ashes on a grave! They claim it was a fee to allow them to give permission which included exemption from any complaints from the "owners" of adjacent graves which might be affected. Then we found that the fee was doubled to £600 if the ashes were those of someone who was not living in the district when they died!! :shock: Mother would have been horrified if she had known. Her ashes are now on the grave in a floral setting - a small planter with holes in the bottom! :) There's no charge for a planter on a grave...

Yes, a friend of mine encountered similar earlier this year when she wanted to scatter her mother's ashes on her grandmother's grave. In the end they snuck in when no one was around and did it anyway. No one was any the wiser.

Hope you get it sorted Zosh. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 18th, 2016, 7:43 pm

I took OH's ashes to France to be interred in the family grave
I didn't tell Ryanair, I just put the casket into my hand luggage, with the certificate that permitted me to import cremains into France in case it looked funny on the X-ray
I didn't need permission to export from UK, but permission to import into France, and they had to be in a sealed casket not one of those plastic drums (which was fine, as I needed a casket for the French funeral mass) and it had to fulfill certain requirement
Coop funeral services were very helpful, they have a central office, and the experts know most of the regulations
On the subject of scattering ashes in a manner of your own choosing, the book and fil Last Orders is excellent.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 18th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Thank you peeps. I expect that it will be in the NY that 'things' get sorted....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 19th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Oh dear, my friends son & wife had a little girl not this weekend but the one before. She wasn't feeding and constantly sick, at 7 days old she was rushed into hospital for an op. She had a membrane over her oesophagus they also discovered a twisted bowl and bless her they took out her appendix she is in ICU Mum and Dad are beside themselves with worry. Hopefully she will be OK and home for Christmas :hug: :hug: :hug:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 19th, 2016, 12:59 pm

That is a worry they could do without - no time is never a good time, but especially so near to Crimbo.. :hug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 19th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Icey, I feel for you friends, but my OH had a similar op at 10 days, and a long time ago (obviously) - grew into a good looking, bright, active adult, no problems relating to that, not even a visible scar and treatment is better now nearly 60 years on (especially ICU for you babies)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 19th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Thanks Sue, that is what I told him. My sister had the same problem when she was born and as you say 50 years ago things weren't as good as they are now, I am sure she will be OK and like my sister grow up into a very healthy girl. It's just the worry when you see them with tubes and monitors attached and they can't touch her. But better sorted now than later.
icelesley
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 19th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Positive to your friend. i always seems so much harder at this time of year. I too am sure baby will be fine, as I have known someone whose child had the same problem and it all turned out fine in the end. She has 3 of her own now.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 19th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Sorry to harp back to our situation..... Informed today from Bro' that the chapel will not release Dad's ashes without a certificate from Andover to confirm they will accept Dad's ashes to join Mums. I have been in touch with local council... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: they have no record of Mums ashes being in 'their' cemetery ????? Why am I not surprised..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Red tape is quite festive around this time of year...... :D

Oh yes, and we should be using the services of an undertaker, just another bunch with their arms outstretched....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 19th, 2016, 9:29 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
For all those who need them.
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » December 23rd, 2016, 10:35 pm

My dog Barney went over the rainbow bridge today, he was 15 years and 4 months old. We knew it was time to let him go.

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of losing my Gran.

I have a couple of candles lit. :cry:
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby uschi » December 23rd, 2016, 10:39 pm

Tell Barney to check where my mother is now ... she always had wonderful tidbits for dogs. ;) ;) ;)

Good vibes coming from over here! :hug: :hug: :hug:
uschi
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 23rd, 2016, 11:41 pm

After 7 days in intensive care and three in isolation, our nephew has returned home for Christmas. He may be back in hospital next week, but he's progressing slowly.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » December 24th, 2016, 4:18 pm

uschi wrote:Tell Barney to check where my mother is now ... she always had wonderful tidbits for dogs. ;) ;) ;)

If she had mini cheddars he would be her best friend until they had gone :lol:

My late mother in law was probably waiting for him with a biscuit sandwich and she would have had her hand bitten as well.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » December 24th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Cheezy, I am so sorry to read your news, my heart is breaking for you and your OH, RIP Barney, you could not have had any better owners or have been more loved. :cry:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 24th, 2016, 4:43 pm

Thinking of my late Ma's younger sister, my delightful slightly batty Auntie B on The Gower - she has been in hospital following a fall/stroke? and is now poorly at home and fading. Thinking of my cousin and his wife who are nursing her.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » December 24th, 2016, 6:36 pm

:hug: :hug: to all. What an amazing community of people we have. Life throws unexpected things but the Wild Food Community are amazing in their strength, humour in some pretty horrible situations and always there for support. Here's to all! :mug: :cocktail:

Wishing strength to all who need it and their families and friends and am as always humbled to read some of the posts.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby jrc » December 25th, 2016, 9:24 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: From us.
jrc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 26th, 2016, 10:46 am

So sorry to hear this CJ :hug:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 26th, 2016, 7:32 pm

Cheezy - :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby uschi » December 28th, 2016, 9:02 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:
uschi wrote:Tell Barney to check where my mother is now ... she always had wonderful tidbits for dogs. ;) ;) ;)

If she had mini cheddars he would be her best friend until they had gone :lol:

My late mother in law was probably waiting for him with a biscuit sandwich and she would have had her hand bitten as well.

She would probably find him some. She used to have sausage for the dogs of our friends and she had a "magical sausage window" from which she dispensed the goodies. :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby smitch » January 4th, 2017, 4:49 pm

I'd like to light a candle for my great-aunt, who died this afternoon. She was a big part of my life when I was a kid, we often visited her and her sister (they lived together, her sister died a few years ago) and she was the last link to my dad's side of the family. My dad died 30 years ago and he was an only child so I have no cousins and my grandparents are all gone now too. I'm glad she's no longer suffering, but feeling very sad :cry:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 4th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Sorry to hear that Smitch :hug: :hug: :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby mogatogs » January 4th, 2017, 4:55 pm

Smitch :hug: :hug:

My good friends funeral is on Monday, I have been struggling all week for his eulogy, and in the end was honest, I loved him to bits and so sad, but what a party we are going to have - pink gin all round :luv:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 4th, 2017, 5:02 pm

Smitch :hug: :hug:

Will be thinking of you on Monday Mogs :hug:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 4th, 2017, 5:23 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: to Smitch and Mogs. Two lives well worth celebrating by the sound of it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 4th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Busybee wrote:Will be thinking of you on Monday Mogs

And me
Raising a virtual pink gin :cocktail:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Smitch and Mogs... :hug: :hug: to you both
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 4th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Smitch and Mogs... :hug: :hug: to you both

Same here - plus the pink gin :cocktail: :hug: :hug: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » January 4th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Echoed thoughts but no pink gin thanks! Sad times but sounds like their lives will be well celebrated. :cocktail:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » January 4th, 2017, 8:22 pm

From me too - with pink gin :hug: :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby uschi » January 4th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Can I toast them with a snowball??? :cocktail:
uschi
Registered

Postby smitch » January 4th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Thanks everyone :hug:

Mogs, hope Monday goes well :hug:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 7th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Feeling a little down today and will be lighting candles and raising a glass to the memory of OH who died 10 years ago today, so we've now been apart longer than we were together, not a great one for these anniversaries but 10 feels significant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 7th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Sorry to hear that Sue :hug: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 7th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Sue :hug: :hug: :hug: