Any tennis fans?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Any tennis fans?

Postby SchueySue » July 1st, 2010, 9:35 am

May I add a vote that says I hope Serena doesn't get knocked out! I think she is a wonderful player and I love to watch her on court. Now duck and run Sue, duck and run!!
Still in Brittany and staying there!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » July 1st, 2010, 9:47 am

Fiona wrote:Five! last time he won the final he went to his bag and produced a jacket to wear which already had the win embroidered on it! He looked so smug, I went right off him! So he is a great player but I'm pleased he is out! (Fickle? Moi?)

Fiona :)

Six! Moi aussi!

that says I hope Serena doesn't get knocked out

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby Dena » July 1st, 2010, 11:11 am

I need a big, big, cushion - I'm sitting on the fence :scared: :scared:
Dena
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 1st, 2010, 1:09 pm

Could anyone tell me why female tennis players grunt. Please do not tell me that it is exertion. Professional dancers, who also use bursts of energy, do not grunt

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 1st, 2010, 1:20 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Could anyone tell me why female tennis players grunt.

Yes - its called unsportamanlike conduct, or gamesmanship. :(
Catherine
Registered

Postby Dena » July 1st, 2010, 1:36 pm

I so agree Catherine - I really think there should be very stringent rules re this.

I dislike it so much that I often watch now with the sound muted. I think another good reason for using the mute button is when Tracy Austin is commentating. I find her voice really grating.
Dena
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 2nd, 2010, 8:49 am

It gets flagged up every year and every year the WTA say that they are looking into it and discussing it, but nothing ever gets done. Its starting to happen in the juniors, with the boys too. The minute that guides are given as to what is deemed 'unsportsmanlike, I, as a tournament referee shall be clamping down. I cant stand it. I never needed to grunt as a player and I don't ever remember anyone else doing it. I have to say though, sadly, some coaches teach it.
Catherine
Registered

Postby SchueySue » July 2nd, 2010, 9:08 am

Let's not be sexist about this - a lot of the men grunt as well! ;) ;)

I usually turn the sound right down so I don't have to listen because it IS distracting. It is wonderful to watch the matches on my PC at work. I don't use the headset and just watch the play because I don't need someone telling me what the score is, and I don't like Tracey Austin's voice either!!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 2nd, 2010, 9:49 am

Tracey Austin can come out with some crazy things, and she feels the need to say something after each point, that's why I like 'pressing the red' on the BBC coverage as you don't get the commentary on the more outside courts. Ho Hum I guess commentary is all part of televised sports. Snooker commentary makes me laugh though.

On the subject of grunting, YES the men do grunt, but their grunt is less offensive than the high pitched scream of players such as the Williams', Sharapova and the worst, Azarenko. Its that kind of 'grunting' that needs to be stopped. You could just record the noise they make and use it to accompany an 'adult' movie. Oh well, it sounds like they re having fun :o :P :lol:
Last edited by Catherine on July 2nd, 2010, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby SchueySue » July 2nd, 2010, 10:24 am

Catherine wrote:You could just record the noise they make and use it to accompany an 'adult' movie. Oh well, it sounds like they re having fun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't know!!! :oops: :oops:
SchueySue
Registered

Postby tezza » July 2nd, 2010, 3:39 pm

I see Murray has lost the first set. :(

Is anyone watching it? I am stuck at work doing bloody month end. :roll: Is it a good match or are we as a nation yet again displaying a complete and utter embarrassing lack of talent? Is it worth trying to rush through work & traffic to get home for?
tezza
Registered

Postby Luca » July 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm

For the minute Murray doesn't seem to have quite got into his stride but he's showing small signs of it and has at times played very well It's just that Nadal is playing better for the moment!. Centre Court is full of 'names' ... Beckham is there with one of his sons, Prince Andrew is there, plus various sporting greats. No pressure then!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » July 2nd, 2010, 4:00 pm

Thanks Luca! I guess there must be some talent in Murray to be holding his own as well as he is against Nadal.

No hope of me getting home until about 6pm! Was hoping to pick up a bottle of something tipsy to enjoy with the match too. Need to put my foot down when I get out of here then! :bounce:
tezza
Registered

Postby Luca » July 2nd, 2010, 7:47 pm

Hope you didn't rush too much Tezza! Murray played some magnificent tennis but Nadal came back with more...

So............... what are people's thoughts about the finals?

Ladies Final: Serena Williams v Vera Zvonareva

Mens Final: Rafael Nadal v Tomas Berdych.

For the ladies I'd be really happy if Vera beat Serena but I don't think it's likely unless Serena is on bad form.

For the mens............. May the best man win! I love the fact that Nadal has his first opportunity to defend his Wimbledon title of a few years back but I'm very impressed by Berdych as well.

Let's hope there is some good tennis.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianEndive » July 2nd, 2010, 7:52 pm

I totally agree with you Lucinda! For both the men's and the women's. It will be most interesting to see Berdych play, as he is having such a fab run at the moment! I'm still rooting for Nadal though! :D
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 2nd, 2010, 8:04 pm

I have to say - Rafa vs Berdych - very :luv:

I was a bit worried that Rafa seemed to be developing a nasty grunt himself during his match with Murray

I think Rafa & Serena likely to win but there could be upsets :hi5:

I honestly thought 3-0 in sets exagerrated the difference between Nadal & Murray today - Andy really should have got a set off him given the way he was playing. No shame for Murray.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » July 2nd, 2010, 8:18 pm

I agree - No shame for Murray at all. He played some truly cracking shots. I really hope he does get to a Wimbledon final soon... I liked Nadal's comments about him after the match.

I was watching the round up of the junior tennis and it seemed that there was some pretty bad behaviour by quite a few of them............. I wish they'd stamp down on that whilst they were young.. quite a bit of racket smashing and kicking going on which imo should be nipped in the bud.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » July 2nd, 2010, 8:59 pm

I was also unimpressed with the junior racket smashing - but it has gone on for years among a certain few, unfortunately. Catherine never did it, but youngest daughter Becky did for a while when she was 13. It was very quickly nipped in the bud :)

I also thought Murray played well, but made too many mistakes on the forehand side at crucial points. Nadal played really well.

So - I hope Serena loses, but can't see it happening, and it should be a good match with Nadal and Berdych, but I think Nadal will clinch it!
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » July 2nd, 2010, 9:05 pm

sueturnersmith wrote:I was also unimpressed with the junior racket smashing - but it has gone on for years among a certain few, unfortunately. Catherine never did it, but youngest daughter Becky did for a while when she was 13. It was very quickly nipped in the bud :)

Nipped in the bud with one of my sons too at about the same age. One angry teenager at the time... but he learnt the lesson.

Why do you think they let them get away with it? Apart from the bad 'form', to use a word I'm not fond of , it also shows a lack of focus and control both of which are so vital.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » July 2nd, 2010, 11:03 pm

Referees are clamping down now thankfully, but there has to be continuity as sadly some referees are too lenient. But the LTA are acting where a player gets continuous code violations and are starting to put bans in place which will not permit offenders to enter tournaments for a period of time.
Catherine
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » July 2nd, 2010, 11:25 pm

Catherine wrote:Referees are clamping down now thankfully, but there has to be continuity as sadly some referees are too lenient. But the LTA are acting where a player gets continuous code violations and are starting to put bans in place which will not permit offenders to enter tournaments for a period of time.

Agreed that some referees are too lenient, but also, a short term ban is not really going to sort it out unless the parents also accept that the youngsters are at fault.

Unfortunately some parents seem to think that their children 'can do no wrong'. Even the LTA seem, on occasion, to endorse this - or rather - they do nothing to try and stop it :x
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Dena » July 3rd, 2010, 12:31 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the Nedal v Murray match. I quite warmed to Andy but was so pleased than Nadal won.

Leaving the bad behaviour of the juniors behind - (I completely endorse that it should be stopped) - I thought the interplay between David Beckham and his son was wonderful to watch. He seems to be a very genuine and nice man - and to give up seats in the Royal box so that he could take his son aaah :luv: .
Dena
Registered

Postby tezza » July 3rd, 2010, 9:33 am

Well, I was gutted that Murray got knocked out yesterday. I was late leaving work and listened to the last minutes of the match on the radio in my car getting home. Commentators on the radio said that all in all there were only a few points in it between Nadal & Murray so three sets straight defeat does seem a bit harsh. Never mind, better luck next year.

I must say, I am not inspired to watch either of the finals this weekend. None of the remaining players really do it for me. I feel all lost now! No England in the footy and no Brits in the tennis! Blah!
tezza
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 3rd, 2010, 10:34 am

I'll be rooting for Vera. Anything's better than skin-coloured hotpants.... 8-) 8-)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Luca » July 3rd, 2010, 2:28 pm

Pah! What an incredibly boring Ladies final. Please, please can somebody come along and beat Ms Hotpants!

Vera was very gracious and charming in defeat and didn't really play her best on the day. She's definitely got the potential to go far and I hope she does.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianEndive » July 3rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

What a shame Vera didn't make it. I did not get a chance to watch it as we were out. Let's hope for next year, Luca! Pah indeed!
BelgianEndive
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 3rd, 2010, 11:18 pm

Damn! The blasted Amazon strikes again....
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Luca » July 4th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Shame wasn't it - but she was very gracious about the whole thing.... not my choice of winner though.

The men are just coming out and I think I'm rooting for Nadal.... shame they can't both win. Nadal is hopping around and hasn't even got to the tennis court yet!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » July 4th, 2010, 1:06 pm

I truly can't make up my mind, Nadal is such a good all round player but then Berdych has played out of his skin, and deserved to do well.They both seem to be really nice guys. Though we can only gain an impression from what we're shown.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » July 4th, 2010, 1:08 pm

They both seem like great guys I agree. Interviews seem to uphold that. Oh well - may the best player today win... and let's hope we have more of a match than yesterday.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » July 4th, 2010, 1:12 pm

We have an all British boys doubles final, which is good.

I have also just watched Lucy Shuker and her partner lose in the Ladies Wheelchair Doubles final. I used to know her quite well when she trained at Aldershot Tennis Centre where I used to work. She was a GB Badminton player until her accident, and was advised to take up tennis because there is no wheelchair badminton. She had a 'killer' serve at first, but no other strokes. She has worked very hard to get into the world top 10.
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby sueturnersmith » July 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm

Well it's all over for another year.

I always feel a bit sad when Wimbledon finishes. It means that Summer is already half gone :cry:

Pimms, anyone? :cocktail:
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » July 4th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I know what you mean Sue. We always look forward to it but hey ho...... I'll have a Pimms. :cocktail:

It will be a lot quieter around here now!

Nadal was a worthy winner. A few days break and he'll be training again for the US Open...
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Fiona » July 5th, 2010, 10:06 am

Wimbledon seems to have slipped past this year for me, I didnt get a chance to catch very much. Tour de France now! We will all be rooting for our local lad, Mark Cavendish - the Manx Missile!
Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop