This is making me cringe

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

This is making me cringe

Postby Wordsworth » June 28th, 2010, 12:37 pm

A bloke from HQ is here today.
He is sitting opposite me, shovelling pasta into his mouth at a rate of knots.
His fork is crashing against his (rather prominent) teeth with every mouthful and it is making me shudder...
Wordsworth
Registered

Re: This is making me cringe

Postby Sloe-Gin » June 28th, 2010, 12:41 pm

:terrified: Yuck!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby chools » June 28th, 2010, 12:56 pm

We had someone in the office who was keen on eating peanuts which she used to throw at her mouth. Many missed her mouth and bounced onto her desk and the floor but she never seemed to mind the mess she made, nor did it occur to her to try and get less into her mouth at any one time!

Office eating is not very nice but not everywhere offers much in the way of a canteen or eating area these days

KrC
chools

Postby Monnikka » June 28th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Noisy, messy or intidy eaters are enough to make me leave the room. I have been known to leave the table mid-meal because I couldn't take any more and am too polite (unlike them) to say anything.

Are these people not aware? Obviously they haven't been taught any table manners.
Monnikka
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 28th, 2010, 1:29 pm

As you may have gathered, the company I work for always try to get away with the cheapest possible solution to any legal requirements. We were moved to a new building a while back which, due to a misunderstanding with the Estate Agents, was too small for the number of staff.

Solution was to delete the rest area and just leave a small kitchen with a microwave. We were told to eat at our desks.

There were 32 people in that open plan office .......

....... So 32 curries were ordered each lunchtime!! :)

It's amazing how quickly management can react when they are personally inconvenienced! :)
Last edited by aero280 on June 28th, 2010, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby tezza » June 28th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Wordsworth wrote:A bloke from HQ is here today.
He is sitting opposite me, shovelling pasta into his mouth at a rate of knots.
His fork is crashing against his (rather prominent) teeth with every mouthful and it is making me shudder...

An ex of mine's mother used to eat like that. Add to that the fact that she used to stick her tongue out and then stab the forkful of food onto it. I could not sit there in the same room while she ate a meal.

A colleague of mine annoys me when she eats her lunch. She hogs the kitchen for ages cooking a jacket spud in the microwave from scratch, then heats up a couple of toppings seperately, then it takes her about to an hour to finish the meal. I am talking snail's pace here. I am not sure why that annoys me, it just does.
tezza
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 28th, 2010, 3:21 pm

One that annoys me is people who "eat" a cup of coffee with a teaspoon, making a great show of their daintiness

Drives me nuts for no apparent reason, think I must have known someon who really got on my nerves who did it, but mercifully I've forgotten who!

Fortunately you can't do it too easily with a skinny latte double de-caff (whatever) in a take away carton!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MollyPolly » June 29th, 2010, 5:18 pm

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'm guilty of 'eating' the froth from my cappuccino. Doubt if I'm very dainty though.

It's interesting to discover that, having removed the froth, there is, in fact, only half a cup of actual coffee underneath!
MollyPolly
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 30th, 2010, 10:37 pm

We have the guy who presses large handfuls of crisps into his mouth with the palm of his hand (and often coughs before he has swallowed them all). He also sometimes eats a whole raw onion in the way most people might eat a whole apple.

We all pray he doesn't take a phone call which involves handing his handset to us :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Bazzer » July 1st, 2010, 6:45 am

:oops: Guilty to eating onion like an apple but it is with cheese and a hunk of bread. All rustic style.
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby tezza » July 1st, 2010, 10:39 am

Once worked with a woman who was constantly on a diet all year round so that she could go to the USA for a fortnight once a year and put all the weight back on again in one hit. :roll: Whenever she got back from her holiday she was like a woman possessed, couldn't get enough food down her throat. I used to cringe, waiting for her return because she would invariably sit at her desk every day for about a week after her holiday and consume a whole roast chicken for her lunch Henry VIII style. Cooked poultry juices running down her chin, down the front of her clothes, the sound of limbs being ripped from chicken body, it was just disgusting! Then the diet would commence and she would eat virtually nothing, gearing herself up for the next holiday. :scared:
tezza
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » July 1st, 2010, 12:16 pm

Monnikka wrote:It's amazing how quickly management can react when they are personally inconvenienced!

I like this! Being of a natural bolshie nature, I hate people telling me that I must do things that I regard as stupid, or not do things that I regard as sensible.
I may have told this story before, but here goes, anyway.
In one hotel where I worked, the canteen was the only place that staff were allowed to smoke. As I dislike cigarette smoke with my meals, I took my salad to the office, where I proceeded to eat at my desk (there were only three of us in the office). The jobsworth who ran the office said she did not like plated food in the office, we should eat in the canteen, or else just have a sandwich.
O.K. by me. The next day I got two slices of bread, and put the contents of my salad plate between them, and ate them in the office. She never said a word! My colleague had to leave the room, she was laughing so much.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop