Worn out!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Worn out!

Postby chools » July 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm

I got very hot working today, so much so that despite a lovely cupboard and fridge full of fresh produce from our veg box I could quite happily consume a takeaway for tea!

I've managed to put some potatoes on to boil and I'll wash the salad leaves after I've posted this, but do you ever have days when you could just flop in a comfy chair and not have to cook? :chef:
chools

Re: Worn out!

Postby tezza » July 2nd, 2010, 4:24 pm

This past week I have wanted to flake out almost every evening, and indeed have! The trouble we have at the moment is our kitchen gets so hot and we cannot have the door or windows open in case the kittens get out! So last night I decided to create two meals from scratch - spaghetti bolognese for OH and veggie chilli for me because I have been so lazy in the kitchen and had the urge. :chef: I had the window open on the merest of cracks but literally melted as I cooked.

The meals were lovely so it was worth it, but tonight I am shoving quick and easy pizzas in and they can get on with it while I flop in front of Wimbledon and our fan. :bounce:
tezza
Registered

Postby Luca » July 2nd, 2010, 4:37 pm

I should think that happens to everyone and then you choose what you want - be it a takeaway or something which you have already prepared and frozen. I'm quite happy to not to have to cook every meal in this heat.

Yesterday I was in M&S and saw they had a good £10 meal offer so I thought we'd give it a shot tonight or tomorrow night so that I can relax and spend time with my husband who has been working infernally long hours at the office. The main course I chose was paella and the pudding raspberry pannacottas. The bottle of wine is a white one which is in the fridge and as you are also allowed a side dish I chose some parmentier potatoes which we will have with a good steak over the weekend. Some pretty good choices I thought..

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Dine-In- ... /198933031
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » July 2nd, 2010, 4:42 pm

chools wrote:but do you ever have days when you could just flop in a comfy chair and not have to cook? :chef:
Yup, especially when the BLOODY clients have just phoned to say that they are three hours away at least with a broken down car. Fortunately we can just cook enough for ourselves, and eat it, so we won't have to wait for them. Even so, It's 28 in the shade even now, with 95% humidity. By the time they arrive, they won't be able to eat out. So we'll have to traipse a 5 course meal next door or upstair. GRRRRRRRRRRRR AND it cost me €18 to accept their €20 deposit.

I HATE the bloody swiss.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby chools » July 2nd, 2010, 6:50 pm

tezza wrote:The trouble we have at the moment is our kitchen gets so hot and we cannot have the door or windows open in case the kittens get out!

Tezza that sounds horrendous. Some DIY stores sell big squares of wire mesh that you could maybe pin up at an open window with drawing pins?

KrC
chools

Postby Catherine » July 2nd, 2010, 11:27 pm

Luca wrote:The main course I chose was paella

Oh dear, not one of their better dishes
Last edited by Catherine on July 2nd, 2010, 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby milton2 » July 3rd, 2010, 4:52 am

I understand that feeling soooooo well. Work has been relentless this week (most weeks actually ) and I'm shattered. It's at times like this I wish the OH could cook. :roll:
milton2
Registered

Postby Bazzer » July 3rd, 2010, 6:30 am

Been at it for 4hrs. in work today. Place was like an inferno, have to keep all doors shut for security and our extactors and fan over the grills were just about hanging in there but it was creeping over 30*C. All ready to start service at 06.00 (two hours earlier than normal weekends) when one of the guests in this massive Paintball group wandered past and told us they wouldn't be in 'till 8.
It's their buffet and hots that are sitting around festering for two hours on ice or in the Ban Marie, I haven't got to eat it. :evil:
Forgot moral of story.
I'm now hungry and should have dinner but I can't even face the thought of food, cooking or much less eating. Time for Ale I reckon.
Last edited by Bazzer on July 3rd, 2010, 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby tezza » July 3rd, 2010, 9:46 am

chools wrote:
tezza wrote:The trouble we have at the moment is our kitchen gets so hot and we cannot have the door or windows open in case the kittens get out!

Tezza that sounds horrendous. Some DIY stores sell big squares of wire mesh that you could maybe pin up at an open window with drawing pins?

KrC

Thanks for the tip. :) We have looked into doing this but everything we have found would be awkward to fit to our rather unusual Victorian style windows. :cry: You can buy special kitten proofing things with suction pads that fit over windows but I hear that they are not that reliable and kittens can still escape! :scared: So we will stick to the fans for the time being and look forward to the next couple of months :terrified: when they can start going out into the garden.
tezza
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 3rd, 2010, 9:55 am

Tuesday this week I had to do a million things in the city - about 20 kms from where I live. I snatched a pastry & a cup of coffee for breakfast, but by the time I'd finished rushing around I was too knackered to even think about cooking.
An instant frozen pizza was the answer. Pretty grotty, I have to admit, but I suppose it filled a gap!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am

Tezza, can you not shut the internal kitchen door and keep the kitties out of the kitchen while you are cooking with windows open?

Whe I can't be bothered to cook, I am glad I have leftovers in the freezer, and if hot and bothered they can be microwaved without heating the place up.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby tezza » July 3rd, 2010, 10:48 am

Tezza, can you not shut the internal kitchen door and keep the kitties out of the kitchen while you are cooking with windows open?

Unfortunately we don't have an internal kitchen door. The house is pretty much open plan really, that's part of our problem. And where there are doors on rooms they don't close properly because whoever hung them before we moved in didn't do a very good job of it! Currently have the tumble dryer on upstairs in the spare bedroom, pipe out of an open window, bedroom door tied shut to the stair banister with a rope! :roll: :lol:
tezza
Registered

Postby Bazzer » July 4th, 2010, 9:01 am

If you have a wooden floor I've found a 6" nail through the tail can stop them straying too far. :twisted: ;)

How about one of those nice cat collars and Bungee Rope?
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 4th, 2010, 10:54 pm

How about one of those nice cat collars and Bungee Rope?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The mind boggles.
Spider-puss....

At least I haven't got that problem with my tortoises.
By the time they've worked out how to get through the kitchen window, we'll have moved again!!!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Dena » July 5th, 2010, 4:03 pm

I also have days where I just get something from the freezer or a takeaway as it is too hot or I am too tired to cook.

I have the same problem as tezza, except that my cats are not kittens, but rescued cats and if get out I am sure will never be found again as they are both still so very nervous. They are not scared of me any more but don't like the rest of the world - poor things.

My kitchen also is very, very small and get the full sun from lunch time onwards. To make it more bearable on most hot days I pretend I am back in the Med and try to cook something that brings back memories. With a glass in hand and nostalgic smells (Aaahhhh - :lol: :lol: :lol: )

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8967604913
Dena
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop