Paywall

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Paywall

Postby chools » July 3rd, 2010, 10:08 am

I enjoy reading articles about food and have a list of bookmarks for various newspaper food writers

'The Times' introduced it's paywall yesterday forcing on line readers to pay if they want to read its content. I'm not sure how well it's going as today they emailed me again with a special offer should I want to subscribe. Newspaper web content has been paid for by advertising but Rupert has now decided that readers rather than advertisers should pay for this, a little after the horse has bolted and I suspect the lack of folk paying may make him change his mind

I rarely buy newspapers these days (only my weekly local and an occasional weekend paper). The only part of The Times I usually read were the reviews by AA Gill.

Would you pay to read a newspaper on line?
chools

Re: Paywall

Postby karadekoolaid » July 3rd, 2010, 10:10 am

Yes, I received the same offer.
I told them in no uncertain terms that they could stick it where the sun don't shine, and that from now on I'd be reading the Telegraph or the Daily Star :lol: :twisted:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 3rd, 2010, 10:50 am

I used to check the Times regularly, mostly for the food related topics, but stopped a few weeks ago, when they required registration, as I knew this was a precursor to bringing in charging.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Luca » July 3rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

I certainly wouldn't pay to read a newspaper on-line. We take the Times anyway but there were some useful things in the on-line version which I shall just not bother with. Plenty of other interesting things to read on other sites.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » July 3rd, 2010, 4:18 pm

Luca wrote:I certainly wouldn't pay to read a newspaper on-line.
Neither would I. Given they are Murdoch owned, I dare say that they've done their homework, and in the long term (like Sky etc) it will pay them.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby gillthepainter » July 4th, 2010, 7:09 am

We subscribe online, yes!
Not many papers could get away with it, as their content is on the news. But there are articles and writers in there that aren't available elsewhere.
gillthepainter
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 5th, 2010, 8:12 am

No way would I pay to read a paper online.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Bazzer » July 5th, 2010, 8:40 am

I wouldn't pay a penny to read any Murdoch owned rag.
The Thunderer is long dead. RIP.

Being a printer of just under 40 years in the trade Murdoch is not my favourite flavour and in fact if he was on fire I wouldn't even p**s on him to put him out but I would invest in a gallon of unleaded to help him on his way. The man is trying to and not doing too bad, take over the world, well free world at leasts Media.
He is to UK Media what Tescon is to UK retailing.
The Miserable Old Git At The End Of The Bar, On His Own And Moaning

http://www.overthegate.co.uk A friendly forum for country matters
Bazzer
Registered

Postby uschi » July 5th, 2010, 12:10 pm

I dropped it from my favourites and now only read the Guardian, the Independent and the Telegraph online.
uschi
Registered

Postby SchueySue » July 5th, 2010, 1:12 pm

chools wrote:Would you pay to read a newspaper on line?

Definitely not! My OH in France reads the Telegraph on line and also Daily Mail for a different perspective on the news. I think The Times definitely are trying to push their newspaper because they are struggling. At one time I was inundated with emails from them asking me to take out a subscription for the newspaper offering special deals and then they called me up a couple of times at work. How they traced me that way I shall never know and the guy I spoke to was quite argumentative and put out when I told him where to go!!!
Still in Brittany and staying there!!
SchueySue
Registered

Postby Dena » July 5th, 2010, 3:45 pm

I too got the offer! Also told them I would now be going to The Guardian and Telegraph on line.

I still get the Times on Saturday and Sunday but it seems to have gone the tabloid route in more ways than one . I was thinking about changing but I like the jumbo cryptic crossword on Saturday and the Culture magazine and some recipes and articles in Style magazine on Sunday.

Apart from the actual news pagesI throw a lot of the other sections away (recycle).
Dena
Registered

Postby Breadandwine » July 5th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Bazzer wrote:I wouldn't pay a penny to read any Murdoch owned rag.
The Thunderer is long dead. RIP.

Being a printer of just under 40 years in the trade Murdoch is not my favourite flavour and in fact if he was on fire I wouldn't even p**s on him to put him out but I would invest in a gallon of unleaded to help him on his way. The man is trying to and not doing too bad, take over the world, well free world at leasts Media.
He is to UK Media what Tescon is to UK retailing.
Couldn't have put it better myself, Bazzer! Murdoch will have to wait a long time for a penny of mine.

(I still chuckle over Ronnie Barker's request to his cell-mate:
"Get me the Sun, won't you? Oh, and something to read!")

And I doubt I'd ever pay for on-line news.

I take the Saturday Guardian and Observer and rely on the online versions and the BBC for the rest. Oh, and I take a look at The New York Times on occasion.

Cheers, Paul
Breadmaking is an easy, everyday activity - not some difficult art form!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/
Breadandwine
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop