The least adventurous eater you ever met

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

The least adventurous eater you ever met

Postby tezza » January 21st, 2013, 7:58 pm

I would like to think that most of us Wildfoodies are quite adventurous when it comes to trying foods and generally eating. But we must have come across some fussy eaters in our lives, so please share. :D

I'll go first. My new fella. How ironic. :roll: :lol:

He seems to be stuck in a 'single man's meal rut'. Favourites are southern fried chicken fillets sliced up with melted cheese on them, shoved in a wrap with lettuce, mayo and chips or potato wedges on the side.

No actually that is THE favourite, although breaded plaice, chips and peas sneaks in sometimes, as does roast dinner but it is only ever lamb accompanied by just peas and carrots, no other veg. He will eat steak but won't eat the traditional accompaniments. Every day for lunch pack up he makes cheese, ham, lettuce and mayo sandwiches. Every day. :shock:

So far I have hilariously introduced him to dried mango (I thought he was going to be sick all over the Tesco car park we were stood in :terrified: ), tofu (if looks could kill :lol:) and Doritos Chilli Heatwave (doesn't do chilli) tortilla chips (thought his eyeballs were going to pop out :lol:). Dried banana chips were a success, he liked those but said he probably wouldn't have them again....... :?:

The thing is, like me he loves watching cookery programmes and drools over the recipes but has a brick wall up when it comes to trying new dishes. I think I have miraculously persuaded him to try risotto and gnocchi at some point. :D Whether I can pull that off or not is another matter.

I am either very persistant or a complete and utter food bully. Do you think he will get sick of it? :lol:

Who is the least adventurous eater you have ever met, and did you try to introduce them to new and as yet untried foods?
tezza
Registered

Re: The least adventurous eater you ever met

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2013, 8:28 pm

When he met me OH didn't eat fish with bones, olives, kidneys, liver, rare beef, pink lamb and duck, red wine and real ale, and I'm sure there were other things he 'didn't eat' that I can't remember now. I cooked them all for myself and gave him things he liked - but curiosity got the better of him and he tried them and liked them - now I sometimes have to hide such things or they disappear!!!
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 21st, 2013, 9:41 pm

Well, I'll nominate me!! :)

I don't much like fish. I don't like game, and have difficulty eating it. I won't choose to buy meat that looks like it ran about a field.

So... Steak, Corned Beef, Bacon, chicken breast. fish fingers, sausages, sliced ham, etc.

Allergic to bananas, hate coconut, not keen on strong greens and boiled veg.

Fruit OK, tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, onions, OK..... and a few others.

Yours squeamishly...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » January 21st, 2013, 9:44 pm

I suppose I should mention my friend, Ian knows him too, who we finally got into a curry house when he took a long look at the menu and ordered the steak and chips.......

He's been working abroad several times since then, so probably has a more varied diet now...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby northleedsbhoy » January 21st, 2013, 10:08 pm

Guy I worked with was brought up in Hong Kong, father was in the police, could not eat Chinese food. Meat and two veg only but we got him into pizza, only foreign food he would eat.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby anneskitchen » January 21st, 2013, 10:11 pm

My ex was very fussy, didn't like any root vegetables, scared of anything sounding foreign (despite that he was a mixture of Italian/ Portugese Via Goan) and hated trying new things..also covered everything in ketchup and generally drove me mad cooking for him :terrified:

The new one doesn't like cheese, mushrooms, ain't keen on spinach, not keen on chilli and is wary of veggie food BUT he is willing to try so I forgive him! :luv: ..

...And the fact he had little choice last night when he dropped in unexpectedly and I had made mushroom and spinach lentil curry for dinner! Initially I was well out of my comfort zone but that is what I had made, I didn't want to make anything else and being that the alternative was plain rice he ate all of his, and seconds! :o He did say it would be nicer with meat but agreed was pretty tasty considering was meatfree! :lol:
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » January 21st, 2013, 10:51 pm

I once worked with someone who would only eat chicken kiev or gammon and chips. Nothing else, ever. She was rather on the large side.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2013, 6:12 am

Well, if we're talking about ex's .... mine used to pick onions out of a casserole or stew and leave them on the side of the plate (until I chopped them so small he couldn't). He wouldn't eat Toad in the Hole, but loved sausages and Yorkshire Pudding - he had to watch me make it to prove it was made of the same stuff before he would eat it. He would never eat cream or anything made with it; neither would he eat yoghurt which is 'only sour milk' apparently. And when we were 'courting' he'd take me (with the rest of the football team and girlfriends etc) to a Chinese restaurant - all the girls would order a Chinese meal - all the boys would have fish and chips.

DS had a school friend who only ever ate cereals, ham sandwiches and Birds Eye fish fingers and Heinz spaghetti hoops - that was his diet all the time he was at primary school right through until they lost touch at about 15 years old. Never an apple, never a pea, not even chips!!! If Jonathan came to tea we had to have Birds Eye fish fingers and Heinz spaghetti hoop (well he did anyway)! I wonder who he married and how they're coping?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 22nd, 2013, 7:30 am

suffolk wrote: He wouldn't eat Toad in the Hole, but loved sausages and Yorkshire Pudding - he had to watch me make it to prove it was made of the same stuff before he would eat it.

I don't think that's proof of fussiness, just a discerning palate! I like both sausages and YPs but don't like the result when toad in the hole is made. The fat from the sausages makes the cooked batter greasier than a yorkshire pudding, so it definitely doesn't taste the same as when the two parts are cooked separately!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby ianinfrance » January 22nd, 2013, 7:44 am

aero280 wrote:Ian knows him too
Are we both thinking of someone "small and typically British"? Grin.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 22nd, 2013, 7:47 am

Suelle wrote:
suffolk wrote: He wouldn't eat Toad in the Hole, but loved sausages and Yorkshire Pudding - he had to watch me make it to prove it was made of the same stuff before he would eat it.

I don't think that's proof of fussiness, just a discerning palate! I like both sausages and YPs but don't like the result when toad in the hole is made. The fat from the sausages makes the cooked batter greasier than a yorkshire pudding, so it definitely doesn't taste the same as when the two parts are cooked separately!

Accepted Suelle, but in his case it was fussiness - having seen what it was made of it became one of his favourite meals!
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 22nd, 2013, 7:52 am

When Jacquie was teaching, one of the boys had great problems with wind, smelly wind. She discovered he would eat absolutely nothing but baked beans. No wonder he farted.

But even worse was T****, a colleague of hers. His diet, as far as she was ever able to ascertain was Mars Bars. Morning noon and night, and nothing else whatsoever. Naturally he had dreadful complexion, and suffered from scurvy. Jacquie had to force him to eat an orange every day, to try to keep the silly twit alive.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » January 22nd, 2013, 8:38 am

My boss. He will only eat when out steak burnt to a crisp with chips and tinned peas. :roll:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 22nd, 2013, 9:01 am

The fiancee (since Saturday...) of one of my best male friends.
We were introduced to her early last year over dinner at his house. He made a delicious pheasant and calvados casserole for us and a plain chicken breast for her.
A few months later we rented a cottage and went on holiday. We cooked every day - to us having time to spend on a good dinner is part of the holiday.
She bought a cooked chicken and sliced bits off it every day.
When we go for a curry she generally has plain chicken tikka with salad and a peshwari naan ( :sprout: ). I recently chose vegetable bhuna and encouraged her to try it so she sometimes now orders one - with added chicken.
She told me she doesn't like lamb and would never eat it and was speechless when I told her the meatballs I had prepared for us a few weeks earlier were 50% lamb.

I do like her though and I was pleased to hear their announcement.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 22nd, 2013, 9:45 am

ianinfrance wrote:
aero280 wrote:Ian knows him too
Are we both thinking of someone "small and typically British"? Grin.

Indeed! :)
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » January 22nd, 2013, 9:56 am

If someone has been brought up in an unadventurous household then it seems quite understandable that they may be nervous about trying new foods. I have to admit I am always happy to try something new but really liking it, even after trying it a good few times, does not necessarily follow although I will eat most things presented to me. Also things I loathed as a child I mostly still don't like very much (except for coffee!), possibly that is related to association of smell and texture as well as taste.

My ex m-i-l now aged 96 won't touch anything 'foreign' or new - that is, anything that has become popular since circa 1920 :). I take her out to lunch every couple of weeks and it really is a bit difficult now that just about everything contains a 'foreign' element - such as pasta. Recently she had a dish which contained olives :terrified: . She ceremoniously picked out all the large green ones but I noticed ate the chopped black ones with relish - her failing eyesight hadn't noticed them :lol:. During another recent meal she was given tortilla chips (which I think taste vile), she was chomping away quite happily and had nearly finished when she commented that the crisps were a bit harder than usual (no comment about the taste). As she had nearly finished I said. 'Oh yes, those tortilla chips are Mexican and made with corn, they are a bit tougher than potato'. At the mention of the word 'Mexican' her beady eyes opened a little wider and she didn't eat any more. :)

(I am not really as cruel as I sound and I have known her and her foibles well for 40 years!)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » January 22nd, 2013, 9:59 am

I was talking to a man once who said he had been on a mini cruise, and that he hated every minute of it. When I asked why, he said they were not able to eat the 'foreign' food', and spent the whole trip living on crisps and mars bars. My unstated thought was that he should have stayed at home.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 22nd, 2013, 11:58 am

I'm sure I've posted this before.

A few years ago there was a TV documentary about a very large extended family. One of the ladies realised that there were enough brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews (96 in all!!), to enable her to "organise a proper family holiday to Majorca". The plan was that with so many of them, they could charter a plane and take over a complete hotel. "That way we can tell the hotel what we want to eat. None of that foreign rubbish. We can have proper English food like spaghetti bolognese".
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Hope » January 22nd, 2013, 12:17 pm

My eldest son...

For breakfast he eats bread and butter. sometimes he'll have raisins. For lunch he has a cheese sandwich, cucumber (has to be thickly sliced and not in the sandwich) and maybe some cake. For dinner, well all he eats is pasta, tofu (occassionally), plain steamed carrot sticks, some nasty frozen quorn breaded things (but not mummy's homemade version), sometimes plain rice and he fills up on bread and butter. Honestly if he could eat bread and butter all the time he would! He sometimes likes fruit, depending on his mood. And he likes hard boiled egg white (baby or I eat the yolks!) I'm currently keeping a food diary as I'm planning to speak to someone (school nurse, GP!) about it soon. We've tried everything, but nothing works!

Thank goodness my second son actually likes food!
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 22nd, 2013, 12:56 pm

Thirty years ago I worked with a bunch of school leaver technicians

We used to go out for meals occasionally, and my job was to extend their foodie boundaries without hurting them (a big thank you to the avuncular waiters in the Spaghetti House and Lee Ho Fook)

One of the girls said to me one day ”Why is it C---- will try anything and usually enjoy when I can’t bring myself to taste it? We both brought up on the same very limited English diet of cottage pie, liver & bacon, etc.”
I had to reply that I though the difference was that his Mum was a very good cook, though with a small repertoire whereas her Mum’s food was blimmin’ awful, hence his attitude was that anything put on his plate was likely to be delicious, but hers was that she should treat all food with suspicion
She agreed whole heartedly – and I’ve felt sorry for her ever since, though I suspect, given her opennes and insight, she got over it quite soon after

But I think that early conditioning is quite common, sadly
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 22nd, 2013, 3:09 pm

I would agree with early conditioning.

My grandparents lived about 400 yards from us, so I was visiting frequently. My grandfather was from a Devon farming family, but working in town in an office. His family would always be sending him things that they had shot. Mostly gamebirds. These were hung in the cupboard under the stairs until they had suitably rotted...

His office was on the fish quay and he would buy anything nice that was left over at the end of the day. Turbot was his favourite, but anything would do. He liked his fish to be served lightly steamed.

As a result, his terrace house had the overall aroma of high game and boiled fish....... :sprout: :sprout:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Grasshopper » January 22nd, 2013, 8:35 pm

aero280 wrote:I'm sure I've posted this before.

A few years ago there was a TV documentary about a very large extended family. One of the ladies realised that there were enough brothers, sisters, nieces and nephews (96 in all!!), to enable her to "organise a proper family holiday to Majorca". The plan was that with so many of them, they could charter a plane and take over a complete hotel. "That way we can tell the hotel what we want to eat. None of that foreign rubbish. We can have proper English food like spaghetti bolognese".

:lol:

My Dad wouldn't eat pasta, Chinese food, or things like Spag Bol. He was no fan of salad either. (I'm not a huge salad fan myself). And he insisted on 'the works' every Sunday, no matter what the weather.

When he left, his rules left wit him, so we eat what we want. I adore pasta, & Chinese :chops: & we often have alternatives on Sudays, like last week when we had macaroni cheese :chops:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 23rd, 2013, 12:13 pm

My mother is very difficult: hardly any herbs, no spices, no garlic, not that keen on cheese, doesn't really like pasta or pizza, won't have salad dressing and likes her vegetables cooked to an almost-mush. To be fair she has some digestive issues, and she is nearly 85 (and brought up on a wartime diet cooked by a Victorian mother!) so although it's difficult, it's kind of forgiveable. My sister and I were brought up on meat and two veg, nothing 'foreign', other than the occasional Vesta Curry, and once, a moussaka (never again!) and a lasagne (ditto). She never really liked cooking. Baking was her forte. My sister and I are both pretty adventurous cooks, but are not really interested in making desserts. One can veer in the opposite direction from one's upbringing!

But I have a friend who is only 51, and so quite unjustifiably has the very 'old person' (sorry I know that's not a very fair description) food tastes he has. If he will eat anything 'foreign', it's because he regards it as British (like the spag bol lady, mentioned above). He's very meat orientated (in a pie sort of way) and his standard response when I tell him what (vegetarian) thing I have cooked is to pull a face.

I think he just won't try things, rather than genuinely doesn't like them, but I don't see him often enough to test this theory!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 23rd, 2013, 2:04 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I think he just won't try things, rather than genuinely doesn't like them, but I don't see him often enough to test this theory!
There's a German saying. "Was der Bauer nicht kennt dass frisst er nicht." (What the peasant (with a pejorative implication) doesn't know, he won't stick in his gob. The word essen applies to people, fressen to animals)
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Grasshopper » January 23rd, 2013, 8:08 pm

I love herbs in food, and we get through a fair bit of garlic :chops: Not too keen on spicy food tho :sprout:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Fiona » January 24th, 2013, 11:05 am

Some great stories here!

When my DD was teeny (about two) she was sooooo fussy! She went through a phase of only eating food if it was pink! Rather than fight about it I dutifully gave her nothing but cold meats, prawns, taramasalata, and strawberries! She came out of the other side of it unscathed, and I did too but if I had allowed it to turn into a fight it would have been damaging and stressful. She also went through a short phase of only eating sausages, I used to cut them up and she would eat most and leave a few, but if I bought small sausages and cut them in two she wouldnt eat them at all, it was only when DS pointed out that she always left the end pieces I realised that small sausages cut in two are all end pieces! She is fit and healthy and intelligent with a perfectly healthy attitude towards food and eating (unlike an alarming number of her 12 year old friends!) so long may that continue!

Fiona :)
Fiona
Registered

Postby Cinnamon Sally » January 24th, 2013, 12:34 pm

Exhibit A
One of my best friends. Not sure if he is what most people would class as unadventurous because what he likes is spicy food. The hotter the better. He also has a philosophy that food should never take longer to cook than it does to eat and lives in a state of utter confusion about why I would choose to spend an entire Sunday preparing a meal and/or baking. In fact, his personal preference is that food should take no longer than 3.5 minutes to cook. He lives on microwave vindaloo and, to his credit, can give you a detailed review of every supermarket and food brand’s version of the dish. At least twice per week he will have a takeaway – again always Indian, always vindaloo. Actually, I lie, in the past year he has discovered Nando’s which has considerably broadened his foodie repertoire – although he happily admits to only ever ordering a load of chicken wings with the hottest marinade then sucks the sauce and skin off the wings, leaving the best part of a whole chicken on his plate. He never eats vegetables at all and is visibly repulsed by anything green or any kind of fruit. This includes throwing a tantrum if his vodka and coke comes with a slice of lemon. Interestingly, his last relationship was with a vegetarian and they managed to live together for five years. He only eats chicken and only when cut up into very small pieces as he says he doesn’t enjoy chewing meat. This is one of the criteria for assessing his takeaway and ready meals. I have attempted to cook for him three times – the first was a large Burns Supper to which I invited him but emphasised that I would not be offended if he preferred to come afterwards, he did come for the meal but turned up 40 minutes late because he claimed not to understand the concept of having to time a meal and begin cooking before guests arrived, then made a big show of forcing down one tiny forkful of haggis and dramatically retching. He ended up with a plate of oven chips. The other two occasions were curry nights which I thought he would enjoy but he was far too suspicious of a curry that had been made from fresh ingredients and said I had ruined his enjoyment of curry because it made him think about all the strange and weird things that were it in. So now, when he comes round, we just order takeaway – seems easier. In fact that happened just last weekend but we also had other friends join us, one of whom is pregnant and could not stomach the thought of Indian food so we ordered pizzas. Of course this bloke went for the hot option with lots of extra chillies then we watched in amazement as he scraped all the cheese and toppings off, ate that and binned the entire base.

The main problem with this bloke is that he genuinely does not see that his attitude towards food is different to anyone else’s and frequently tells us about meals he has been forced to attend in an incredulous, what were they thinking type of way and is constantly amazed when nobody agrees with him. He also has a very good job, which required him to attend formal dinners and events and he reports back to us thus “they served this weird thing and I was told it was asparagus, I mean, who has even heard of that? Do they want people to enjoy the food or not? Of course I didn’t eat it…” / “I couldn’t believe that all around me, people were actually cutting into this lump of beef with pastry and other stuff. They called it beef wellington. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were all ill afterwards. The menu was shocking, there was nothing I could eat and it didn’t even come with chips.” / The restaurant apparently had one of those Michelin stars – god know why, if you had been there you would have seen my point. There was nothing worth eating – I mean… fish????? To eat????

But we all have our faults and he remains a very close friend.

Exhibit b.
My Father-in-Law. Not so much unadventurous as just unconfident. He will try – and often likes – new things but as long as someone else also orders it, preferably my husband. If we go out for dinner, he will look blankly at the menu and say he doesn’t understand a word of it and just ask OH to order two of whatever he is having. He gets extremely suspicious of anything that sounds “exotic” and will not eat any spicy food. He claims to have a long list of dislikes but when put to the test, he rarely has a problem. I think (unkind but true) this is down to MiL’s cooking. For example, at a recent meal out, he told the waitress loudly and proudly that there was too much chicken breast on the menu and he only eats leg meat because breast is dry and even the best chefs in the world cannot make it taste nice (of course, the leg meat needs to be removed entirely from the bone because the thought of the bone either on his plate or in cooking makes him feel ill). Both the waitress and an eavesdropping chef tried firmly but politely to reassure him this would not be the case so OH eventually forced his hand by ordering chicken breast – have what I have or choose your own… It was a revelation to him. Similarly, when invited for a meal at my parents’ house, he got uppity and sniffy that my dad was cooking lamb which he claimed to hate – then had thirds… :lol:

Exhibit c.
A former friend. Vegetarian but hates fruit and vegetables. Existed only on cheese and tomato pizzas, cheese toasties or tinned spaghetti hoops. Was known to cry if anything green turned up on her plate. Pulled out of being bridesmaid and refused to attend a very good friend’s wedding when she was told she could not “order a pizza for delivery to the top table”. Once, we went on holiday to Crete together with a third friend. The other person and myself got fed up of eating in the same “chips with everything” tourist trap restaurants every night and so went in search of lovely authentic Greek food. Found a nice taverna which randomly had a “Greek Pizza” on the menu – we spoke to the owners in advance and asked if it could be made without the aubergines, olives and herbs and our friend was willing to give it a go so we booked a table. That evening we turned up to find there had been a power cut and the restaurant could not cook anything, including the pizza. Instead, they had laid out an enormous table buffet of anything already prepared and improvised dishes using what they could; there were beautiful salads, pulses, marinated vegetables, dips, bread… but no pizza :| . It turned out to be one of the best meals I have ever had in my life and the restaurant refused to charge for the food, only for wine. Our friend however actually threw a toddler-like tantrum, banging her fists on the table and cried noisily into her empty plate whilst the lovely staff tried everything to cheer her up and tempt her with cheeses and salads, honeyed walnuts and figs and other amazing delicacies. Extremely embarrassing for us but my other friend and I went back to the restaurant the next afternoon with flowers for the staff and to give them very sincere thanks for their help.

Exhibit 4.
A childhood friend who would only eat campbells meatballs, chips and pizza. She came to our house for lunch once and knowing her habits, my parents made beans on toast, thinking that fitted the brief. She threw it on the floor (she was around 12 years old!) and howled for her parents who were summoned to come get her. Of course they treated my parents as if they had tried to poison their daughter :evil: . That was the end of that friendship but I sometimes see this person around where I grew up – she is severely obese and uses a wheelchair at the age of 33.

Exhibit 5.
My younger cousins. Brought up by my aunt to be suspicious of food rather than trying it. The family once came to our house for dinner when I was around 16 and had made the main course of Spanish pork which had marinated in olive oil and paprika for a long time and roasted until it could be pulled apart with a spoon. I was so proud but upon looking at it, my aunt demanded to know what there was “for the children” which resulted in a microwave lasagne being dug out of the freezer – then my aunt and uncle decided that looked better so they would have it too. On another occasion my mother served melon which my youngest cousin started tucking into quite happily until his mother said “do you realise that’s fruit?” at which point he spat it out and threw a tantrum because he doesn’t eat fruit. I invited them for dinner a few years ago and thought I was safe with roast chicken but no, it had “bits on it” – referring to pepper. The annoying this is that the aunt and uncle are not that bad as eaters themselves – they don’t do “foreign” but certainly eat fruit and veg and all sorts of other stuff but they brought up their children to think that only chicken nuggets and chips were acceptable food so they never developed a palate and now that they are both in their twenties, still refuse to eat anything green or anything of which they have never heard before. :roll: :roll:
Cinnamon Sally
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 24th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Goodness me! I am feeling quite indignant on your behalf!

I found this article, published in the Guardian a while ago, interesting - about children that are fussy in a different way:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jun/08/principles-of-fussy-eating
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 24th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Cinnamon Sally wrote:Our friend however actually threw a toddler-like tantrum, banging her fists on the table and cried noisily into her empty plate whilst the lovely staff tried everything to cheer her up

:shock:

I can understand why she's a former friend! That's about as mortifying as it gets :lol:

I can't beat any of those wonderful stories but we do have a nephew whose diet is restricted mainly to sausages and cheese & tomato pizza. He's been that way since he was little (he's now in his late 20's) and looks remarkably healthy on it, it has to be said. He just 'doesn't like' anything else.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 24th, 2013, 5:57 pm

I cannot understand people who get no pleasure from food!
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby FoodMary » January 24th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Sadly for me and my son my DDIL and she is a darling too but has no interest in food - skinny as a rake with an anorexic Ma. She says she doesn't like chewing so won't eat meat, or fish or practically anything. Will eat fruit and chocolate and when pressed bread and butter and a few veggies. If she wasn't such a sweety I'd want to smack her.

She makes pasta and heats up things for the children so they certainly don't starve. When they came on holiday with Brian and I once a year in the Summer hols they ate like horses and were particularly enamoured of my home made pies and sausages.

May be that's why they are longing for me to move nearer!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 24th, 2013, 6:44 pm

I have a friend who is a veggie and left to his own devices will only eat cheese sandwiches, chocolate and cake and claims that he can't/won't eat anything with animal products........so we are not allowed to mention that the cheese will have rennet and the cake will invariably have eggs in. I once cooked him a veggie meal based on pulses and he was very suspicious, accusing me of trying to trick him into eating meat .... he is very underweight and recovering from his fourth bout of cancer despite having such a dreadful diet ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » January 24th, 2013, 7:02 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:the cheese will have rennet

There are an awful lot of cheeses that don't contain animal rennet and are therefore vegetarian. I only ever eat cheese made with non-animal rennet.
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » January 24th, 2013, 7:47 pm

blimey, and i thought my son was a fussy eater cos he won't eat mushrooms!
scullion
Registered

Postby barnsleycook » January 25th, 2013, 7:43 am

I think a long term relationship with a fussy eater wouldn't happen in my case. It is a bit of a deal breaker as I love food and making different dishes. DD can be fussy, but I have persevered with her and now she is at high school and done some cooking in DT she is becoming more interested in different foods. Not that I haven't tried to get her interested in cooking before.

My sister once went out with a boy who only liked about three things. He also didn't drink hot drinks or soup and most everyday foods. When it was her birthday it was so difficult to find a restaurant that was open on a Monday that had something the fussy eater would enjoy. The relationship didn't last very long.
barnsleycook
Registered

Postby jrc » January 25th, 2013, 8:53 am

I have an elderly friend who describes herself as a strict vegetarian. She does however eat dairy, chicken, fish, seafood and bacon :?

She always maintains bacon ahem upsets her tum but the day before she returned from a stay in hospital she asked me to go round and put her heating on and get her a few fresh bits to pop in the fridge. There, pride of place were two packs of bacon (she lives alone) :oops:

She doesn't 'do' sauces or gravy and each year we take her out on her birthday. One particular year she requested she wanted just a plain chicken breast with chips and salad. We went for miles sourcing just that (organic) and ensuring there wouldn't be any sauce/bacon/cheese/anything else and the landlady of a lovely pub reserved her a lovely plump chicken breast.

When we got there she sat down, looked at the menu and said "I think I'll have an omelette" :evil:

She even left that becasue the landlady had seasoned it and garnished (contaminated) it with a sprig of parsley :evil:
jrc
Registered

Postby artjak » January 25th, 2013, 9:53 am

I had a friend staying for a few months while her house was sorted out. The deal was that I did the cooking and she did the dishes. I knew she didn't like fish, but after a few weeks I was really missing eating fish so I asked her if she minded if I made a fish risotto. I duly made it, not too much fish and loads of fresh lemon juice and a little of my homemade preserved lemon and some frozen peas to make her feel that she was on familiar territory. She tasted it and finally said, 'I'm beginning to see the point of fish'. Wow what a result! But I'm not sure if some of the died-in-the-wool foreign food haters above could be converted in this way. :)
artjak

Postby anneskitchen » January 25th, 2013, 12:37 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I cannot understand people who get no pleasure from food!

That reminds I went on (one) date last year - he was nice up until he said if he could just have a pill each day to replace food he would!! :shock: :o
Hello edible world!

http://www.anneskitchen1.blogspot.com

Every day is a gift..that's why they call it the present
anneskitchen
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » January 25th, 2013, 3:08 pm

This thread reminds me of L's son.

He will only eat chicken, sausages, turkey and pork. He says he doesn't like beef or lamb, but loves kebabs :? he isn't willing to try anything different and we're so frustrated when he comes to stay with us (which is every other weekend).

We think it stems from his maternal grandfather who was a vegetarian, but would not eat red meat and as a consequence, his daughter (son's mother) wouldn't either. If we try and get him to try new / different foods, he tries them, says he likes them, but then wouldn't have them again!

It is such a shame. I remember once I did a roast chicken dinner for us all, and I always put a glass of white wine into the juices along with some redcurrant jelly, reduced it down and served it. "mmmm that's lovely, what's in it?" So told him and now he won't have any of my gravy :? :? :roll:

My youngest hates onions, peppers and mushrooms. We tell her to take them out, but she is now refusing to even eat the meal that they're in :roll: :roll:

I was dragged up to eat everything. My nan used to make a lovely 'chicken' pie, only it was rabbit :drool: didn't put me off when I found out what it was. We always had liver too..... not keen on kidney, but will eat it in a s&k pie.

L is very good he eats almost everything, I hate shell fish and am not keen on 'strong' fish, but will try most things
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby washu81 » January 26th, 2013, 3:26 am

One of my best friends is fussy, she says she is not fussy so I suppose you could be fair and say unadventurous. But seriously someone who wont even try an anchovy (the lovely silver kind) or a slice of blue cheese that's not unadventurous its just annoying. Look if you try and hate it fair play but you have at least got to try it first. If I was offering fried goats balls or grubs I could understand but cheese and fish is not that bad is it?

So she wont eat cheese unless its Cheddar. Also no fish (cod in batter at a major stretch) no seafood, no offal of any kind even a steak and kidney pie. and all steak must be 'ruined'.

I offered Halloumi the other day and she said she had tried it once but hated it. (but hey she tried it!) :hi5:

I once made her a prawn curry and just served it, she ate the lot. When I told her what it was she denied it was prawn and 14 years later she STILL denies she has ever eaten one :shock:
washu81
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 26th, 2013, 6:45 am

artjak wrote:I had a friend staying for a few months while her house was sorted out. The deal was that I did the cooking and she did the dishes. I knew she didn't like fish, but after a few weeks I was really missing eating fish so I asked her if she minded if I made a fish risotto. I duly made it, not too much fish and loads of fresh lemon juice and a little of my homemade preserved lemon and some frozen peas to make her feel that she was on familiar territory. She tasted it and finally said, 'I'm beginning to see the point of fish'. Wow what a result! But I'm not sure if some of the died-in-the-wool foreign food haters above could be converted in this way. :)

I think that some 'fish haters' are really just 'scared of the bones' - something like a fish risotto is a great way to get them used to the idea of fish without running too much of a risk of impalement :)
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » January 26th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Fishbones are evil!! I find them in every sort of fish, even fish fingers. It's enough to put anyone off.

The main thing about fishbones is, that by the time you have found them all and removed them, the meal is cold... :(
aero280
Site Admin

Postby ianinfrance » January 26th, 2013, 9:20 pm

Hi Will,
aero280 wrote:Fishbones are evil!! I find them in every sort of fish, even fish fingers. It's enough to put anyone off.
Agreed. I know one person on this board who has even found them in shellfish!!
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 26th, 2013, 9:25 pm

:shock: :?
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 26th, 2013, 11:07 pm

suffolk wrote::shock: :?
I know!!! Not good. They were supposed to be breaded scampi.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 27th, 2013, 7:31 am

:lol: Oh dear! :roll:
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » January 27th, 2013, 3:20 pm

One of my closest female friends is getting quite fed up of male friend's chicken-loving new fiancee.
Close friend *never* says anything unkind about anyone but following a conversation about pheasant casseroles and the reaction she got, she just looked at me and said "Shall I just do an egg for her?" :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 27th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Hope wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:the cheese will have rennet

There are an awful lot of cheeses that don't contain animal rennet and are therefore vegetarian. I only ever eat cheese made with non-animal rennet.

He wouldn't have wanted to know that at all.......... like not wanting to know that most cakes have egg in them . :roll:

Edited to add: I'll re-phrase that - we didn't want him to worry about the rennet in cheese as his diet was already so restrictive ...... so it is just not mentioned.
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on January 27th, 2013, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Annie » January 28th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Glad to say my brother is no longer this fussy but from the age of about 12 he wouldn't eat anything but cornflakes with ice cold milk. My mother would cook him a meal along with everyone else and she refused to pamper to any fussiness. So he would turn his nose up at it and eat cornflakes. He did that for about 6 years.

There was also a lady I knew who had a glass of port and steak and onions (cooked to within an inch of it's life) with mashed potato every night and porridge for breakfast with nothing for lunch.
Had done that for at least 30 years and then some. Can't fault it though she lived to be 106.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 28th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Good grief, who would want to live that long with such dreary food? I'd jump off the bridge at Brivezac if I was condemned to eating that kind of menu. Or rather, I'd roll the old wheelchair off the edge.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop